Godzilla 2014 Movie Trailer & Sequel News
Godzilla Movies

If TOHO released all 28 or 29 Godzilla films in one box set

GodizllaFanSince1992

I think it would be cool if they re-released all the movies in one package. I think it would cost about 250$ for Bluray and about 150-200$ for DVD. A fair price nontheless. What do you Gfans think?

20 Replies

mikezilla15

sounds awesome but i'd lower the price

godzillafan1995

i'd prefer 150-200$/£ for blu ray and 90-150$/£ for dvd

GodizllaFanSince1992

Yeah that would be good but regaurdless of price I would purches them. Maybe if everyone talks and brings it up enough eventually someone at TOHO will catch word, would be pretty cool in my opinion.

godzillafan1995

a problem about this that how do the re-release the dvd/blu-rays, who's distrubuting it, will tristar cause troubles because they put godzilla vs king ghidorah 1991-godzilla final wars on dvd, and smaller companies including bfi(uk)/criteion collection(us) have released gojira recently.

GodizllaFanSince1992

Good point but since TOHO owns Godzilla I think they can work something out with all the companys that worked on godzilla. It's a must now, it's also a good time since this new movie is creating such hype.

godzillafan1995

well hopefully toho recognizes that it's not 'just' americans who love godzilla, they really do not recognise the value of a international audience.

Gman2887

Are we talking about Japan or America? Because there's issues with both.

First is that they've already done this in Japan with the Godzilla Final Box: Click Here

But that's DVD only. Toho has not completed releasing the Godzilla movies on bluray yet.

Second, it is unlikely that a Godzilla box set with every film will be released in America within the next 20 to 30 years. Even then is unlikely so I'm going to go ahead and say there will never be a complete box set for the Godzilla series in America. Here's the problem-- Different companies in America own the video rights to different Godzilla movies, take a look:

Classic Media/Criterion: Godzilla (1954)

Classic Media: Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror of MechaGodzilla

Media Blasters: Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon

Universal: King Kong vs. Godzilla

Echo Bridge: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Sony: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II, Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla x Megaguirus, Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Godzilla x MechaGodzilla, Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., Godzilla Final Wars

A Black Hole: Godzilla (1984)

Currently No American Distribution Company Owns: Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla

So the Godzilla films that have American distributers are stretched across 7 different companies. It is unlikely 7 companies will agree to come together and create one boxset for a niche franchise. It just won't happen.

In order for that to happen all the rights for these movies will have to revert to Toho and Toho will have to sell them to just one distributor. That's unlikely to happen, because Toho likes making money off of other companies selling their product. Plus the rights for all the Sony Godzilla movies don't expire until 2025. Classic Media recently renewed their rights, so they have Godzilla for another decade or so as well. That's a long time before Toho gets the American distribution rights back. If it were to happen, it have to happen likely after 2025 or 2030.

I'd love to have a single Godzilla boxset, but the likelyhood of that happening is literally zilch. It would be cool though...

godzillafan1995

well i hope they release those movies inplaces that can't get godzilla movies with their region code like the UK and the rest of europe.

Gman2887

I'm unfamiliar with the Godzilla rights in countries outside of North America and Japan. I'll have to do some research on that, but I imagine Toho treats other regions similarly and sells them to several different distribution companies per country. It's unlikely any country (other than Japan) will ever see a complete boxset.

Kaijujira

That be cool but I think its best if the make a seperate box set for each series.

godzillafan1995

well there is only gojira from bfi for the uk on dvd and no bluray, only vhs. poland got a dvd copy of G:FW. thats all i know

Gman2887

Yeah, there looks to be some other movies in Region 2 as well, but I don't think they're in your prefered language. Godzilla vs. Destroyah seems to be available in Sweden. And I'm seeing a few from Germany as well, but I don't think any, other than the ones you mentioned, are subbed or dubbed in English.

You can wait and see if the new movie produces more interest to release these films where you live, but otherwise I'd recommend getting a Region Free DVD player and importing from countries that do have it.

Ray Burrberry

@GMAN2887

Thanks for the information. That's a very impressive and well researched list.

I wish that Classic Media would get the rights to most if not all of the Godzilla films. They did a really great job with the films that they own the video rights to, showcasing both the Japanese and English versions of the films.

I was kind of surprised to see that Sony owns many of them and also disappointed that they have not done a better job with the DVD and Blu-Ray releases here in the states.

Gman2887

@Ray Burrberry

Yeah, I'm hoping Classic Media will pick up Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla since Sony dropped them. I'm looking into how likely that is though. I don't know if they'd want those movies, find it finacially feasable or could even negociate everything with Toho in time for a retail release this year. I'm not sure yet.

Shout!Factory might also be an option, but we'll see.

Sony DVDs are really hit or miss. Their Showa DVDs were awesome, their Heisei DVDs are absolutely abysmal and the Millennium DVDs are okay, but have issues. I hope they re-release the Heisei and Millennium movies they own with the appropriate aspect ratios, Japanese language and better subtitles. Extras would be awesome too, but Sony doesn't really like to put much effort with their Godzilla releases.

doggiezilla

please make this happen, take my money

Username

Password

or Register an Account
For all things Godzilla
Latest Godzilla Discussions
8 replies
Biollante Origins

Sep-01-2014 4:39 AM

3 replies
Reimagined King Caesar

Sep-01-2014 1:50 AM

9 replies
i got the digital HD version!

Sep-01-2014 12:21 AM

12 replies
It's my birthday!

Aug-31-2014 9:09 PM

7 replies
Deleted shot from G2014??

Aug-31-2014 8:45 PM

4 replies
Just got Neca 1994 godzilla

Aug-31-2014 8:21 PM

Latest Godzilla Images
Recent Status Updates
Gojira2K Does it work now?
x_paden_x Yep, just a hiccup.
Raptor-401 Well make sure it doesn't have "my" in the URL.
x_paden_x I can't log on over there either... Might just be A hiccup on my end.
Raptor-401 Just did. Paden, log onto www.scified.com
Gojira2K Well tomorrow is the deadline. I would do it anyways.
x_paden_x I can't bring up my PM....
Part of the Scified Fan Site Network
© 2012 - 2014 Scified.com
Legal | Terms of Use

Need help using the site? Stop by our Help & FAQ Blog for helpful tips on how to use this website!

Learn more about Scified and our network here!