Godzilla Movie

The 1998 Sequel

8018 Views13 Replies
Forum Topic

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-27-2014 10:12 PM

Alright, so I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me about this, but I was reading about the 1998 movie sequel and thought it was worth mentioning a few things, so please try and hear me out.

First, read the 'Script treatment' section in the link below. If that's too long for you, try to at least read the 'Act III' part of it.

http://monsterlegacy.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/godzilla-2-script-treatment/ (Edited Link)

Now let me tell you what I think about it.

To me, it sounds like this would have been a pretty good movie, as well as an improvement to Zilla, for these reasons:

1: Zilla was going to breathe fire in this one, much like Godzilla's atomic breath.

2: Zilla was going to battle monsters in it as well, and to me, the battle scenes sounded pretty good.

3: The plot sounded interesting, and to add to that, from what I read, Zilla was going to be in almost all of the movie, or at least a good chunk of it, meaning the whole movie was not just going to be a lot of the human characters throughout the whole thing.

4: For those of you who didn't like the baby Zillas, even though there were going to be 'teen' Zillas in the movie, towards the end there was only going to be one remaining that was supposed to be the main one in the movie. Being that Godzilla actually had a son in some of the original films, this shouldn't be considered a bad thing.

The last thing I want to mention is that this may surprise you guys, but I'm actually glad that the 1998 movie wasn't like the original. Why? Because then there probably wouldn't be as much excitement for the 2014 film, being that we'd already have an American version of Godzilla. Let alone the fact that this new movie may not have even been made!

So in my personal opinion, everyone should really stop being so critical of Zilla. He is what he is, and he's a Toho monster just like all the others. Plus, I mean, we're getting a Godzilla true to the orginal one in less than three months! Why keep complaining about the past? And I'll admit, I have actually always liked Zilla and grew up watching the 1998 movie as well as the original films of the real Godzilla.

So what do you think, guys? Are you like me, and would have been interested in seeing the sequel to the 1998 movie with it's improvements?

Feel free to let me know what you agree and disagree with! :)

13 Replies

FordBrodyLover99

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-27-2014 11:12 PM

Yeah...For me this script feels off. I dont think i would have been interested in 98 sequel, because Zilla`s design wouldnt have changed, and the same with the way he acts and moves.

And the monsters fights would be awkward, because of the way he is hunched down. To fight he would be able bite, and run. And i guess a "fire breath". Look at the GINO cartoon. Everytime he fights he goes into a more upright posture.

And no, this isnt stuff i say just because i dislike Zilla, both his movie and as a monster in general. Im just stating my opinions.

TW_G-Fan2014

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-27-2014 11:43 PM

Surprisingly, reading through the whole thing from beginning to end, I must say that as a stand alone movie I think it would have been quite a good one. I wouldn't call it "Godzilla," just as I woudln't call the 1998 film "Godzilla," but as a movie it sounds alright. The monster action sounded cool, the plot wasn't half bad including the fact that we get rid of that annoying bitch Audrey in the first major sequence (HOORAH!!), Zilla lives with the Runt in the end (awesome!), and overall the idea was rather sound.

I enjoyed the 1998 Godzilla series. In fact, I watch it rather regularly on Netflx just because I can and because it's entertaining.

I believe this would have made a good movie, even though "Godzilla" or "Godzilla 2" aren't titels that should accompany it.

Darkrai Titanollante

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-27-2014 11:53 PM

Why are you using TurokSwe's The American Godzilla Wiki? It's not reliable at all and it's stupid.

I wrote a huge thing here, but I was redirected to some "become a fan!" thing and I lost all that I wrote. Just know that TurokSwe is not to be trusted, he plagiarizes from all sites imaginable, he rejects the Zilla Name Change, he vandalized Wikipedia with his biased opinions, and he uses fan sites and blog posts as reliable sources of info. Doesn't sound to good, eh? Do not trust Swe. Oh and, the Wikizilla article was created before TurokSwe's.

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla_2_(Unnamed_1998_film_sequel)

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/The_Zilla_Name_Change

FordBrodyLover99

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-28-2014 12:34 AM

DARKRAI TITANOLLANTE@

The name that should never be mentioned...UHHHHH Spoooooky. No, sorry. But i defintly remember that guy. I can live with the guy liking Zilla, but my god...The stuff that guy did actually managed to damage Zilla more in the Kaiju society.

Also, good catch, i didnt even notice what wiki he was linking.

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-28-2014 12:58 AM

Zillahater,

Thanks for your opinion. Whether you like Zilla or not is up to you. :) And I believe you if you simply just wouldn't have been interested in a sequel. I just posted this because I wanted to know how people would react if the second Zilla movie was more 'improved'. I Also want to thank you for just stating your opinion, and not attempting to strongly criticize Zilla like I've seen a lot of people do, even though you don't like him. So thanks!

TW_G-fan2014,

I agree with you about calling him 'Godzilla'. While I have no issue with Zilla, he is completely different from the actual one and I think maybe it is a good idea to change his name since they're both very different from each other. Also, I thought Zilla being with the runt at the end was pretty awesome as well. XD I also agree that the movie might have done better had it not been called 'Godzilla'. Zilla would have been his own monster, and therefore the atomic breath thing wouldn't have really mattered, along with all the other things that make Zilla different from the real Godzilla. I've seen a few episodes of the Zilla series, and I actually think they're pretty good as well.

Darkrai titanollante,

I'm sorry, I had no idea who that guy was when I posted this. Like I said, I was just writing about what I had read, and just as you said about it being on another website, I had heard about the script before and therefore didn't think it mattered which website I used as a link. Sorry, I suppose I should have known better. I'll change the link if I can find another website with the script on it.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaFeb-28-2014 1:23 AM

I've remember reading the script treatment for the sequel in 1999. It seems to me it had some great intentions that wanted to correct mistakes of the first movie. Kind of like the crew of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem tried to fix the issues in Alien vs. Predator.

The problem is, the directors and crew of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem were so intent on fixing fan outcry that they forgot to put depth and originality in their own story. It ended up being worse than the first Alien vs. Predator.

I think the same would have happened here. It's hard to believe that the sequel would've been any more shallow than the 1998 movie, but I think it would have. It would've been too concerned with adjusting criticized attributes and become a cliche of better movies. It's best that everything GINO was put to rest.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-28-2014 1:56 AM

Gman,

Thanks for you opinion as well.

However, while I agree that it may have been best to put the whole Zilla thing to rest since it didn't do well, I wonder about if it actually would have been 'worse than the first' (again, I personally liked the movie). The reason is that I think the plot was pretty good for the sequel. I've also seen various people who say that if you don't try to call it Godzilla, it wouldn't have been so bad. When the next movie came out, people who watched it would have been people who actually liked Zilla or were interested in seeing the new movie. One reason people didn't like it was because the main plot of the movie was where this  Godzilla came from and everything, and since people didn't like the new Godzilla, they didn't like the plot, either. If people expected the sequel to be Zilla, and with the new monsters, battle scenes, and interesting new plot along with the added fire breath, I think this movie would have actually not done as bad as the first one.

Plus, just a note, but Roland Emmerich said they intended to make a completely different version of Godzilla- that tells me that while they may have tried to correct a few mistakes like the atomic breath, they would still want their Godzilla to be different and not put as much effort into trying to make Zilla into the original Godzilla and instead focused more on the story, characters, and new monsters. Just my opinion.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaFeb-28-2014 2:19 AM

It's impossible to say without, at the very least, a script to read, but I find it unlikely it would've done better. Immediately, there's the issue of budget. Sony had announced that if the movie were to be produced the budget would be cut.

This isn't always an achilles heel, but considering the crew behind the first movie, it sounds like a shoestring budget mixed with Emmerich's lack of depth with storytelling would've made for an even less interesting movie.

The plot sounded interesting, I agree, but it's easy to have an interesting plot with a poor screenplay. The first movie already had a weak screenplay so I highly doubt Sony would've footed the bill to get someone more expensive and reknown for the second movie.

The sequel was going to be nothing more than a cash-in follow up. The story treatment reads like fan fiction. I don't see there being a lot of depth or character-driven story telling involved with something like that. I see an attempt to rectify mistakes and potentially create new ones.

As for Emmerich's "new Godzilla," I don't think he set out to create anything unique. But I've detailed my issues with that in This Thread.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Godzillaser

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-28-2014 4:36 AM

Honestly, I love Zilla design, but I hate that they called her "Godzilla". SHE IS NOT GODZILLA !!!! It would be good if they introduced her in other name.

doggiezilla

MemberMothra LarvaeFeb-28-2014 5:37 AM

Zilla 2 please no.

Akagi

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-16-2014 7:42 PM

Honestly if they had come out with a sequel, I would have watched it. I have a feeling there would have been a lot of aesthetic changes to make Zilla more appealing.

I would have preferred this story over the first film's flimsy writing. 

He is 350ft Tall people, those things on his neck ARE gills, and the Brazil photo is part of the final advertising design-- Deal with it.

Daikaiju Danielle

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-16-2014 7:49 PM

@Akagi

The Godzilla animated series used the sequel script as a basis. :)

"Daddy's home- cake every night,"

Akagi

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-16-2014 8:01 PM

@Danielle

Don't forget how different Zilla looks in the cartoon vs how he looks in the movie.

He is 350ft Tall people, those things on his neck ARE gills, and the Brazil photo is part of the final advertising design-- Deal with it.
Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
74% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums