Godzilla Movie

Does anyone else find the concept of Godzilla genuinely terrifying?

4775 Views22 Replies
Forum Topic

FrogNation

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 5:56 PM

I admit I love a good creepy, Gorey or scary story/movie. Every now and then I'll read a creepypasta or watch a horror movie but to be honest I've come to notice something about horror movie: monsters, demons, murderers, ghosts, entities etc. Nowadays They're all around human sized and the damage they cause is only concentrated on people and don't inflict major damage on cities and buildings and crap, not like the king of the monsters himself. After growing up and believe me I'm use to seein scary s***, I've come to realize how frightening the idea of Godzilla is. No matter where you run in the world, he can just as easily swim the ocean and raise hell wherever he chooses. And the fact that he is merely an animal and isn't truly evil makes him more terrifying. You don't see TANKS getting crushed, airplanes getting blown up and hundreds of buildings getting obliterated in nowadays horror movies do you? Why do we as people find movies about demonic possession and crap more terrifying than Kaiju? I guess it's because nowadays te horror in said film is more concentrated and personal but tbh I believe is more horrifying and scary than any other horror movie killer or demon. With something like serial killers you can kill them with normal means: spas 12 blow to the plums. But with Godzilla, missiles and bullets are like cotton to him. I can imagine godzilla crashing a horror movie with a demon possessed thing, otherworldly entity or urban legend thing trying to act scary in an abandoned building or even at night somewhere and then... THUMP! Godzilla's feet come crashing down right next to the monster and everybody, including said monster, s*** themselves. P.s. Godzilla 2014's ungodly roar

22 Replies

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-22-2014 9:33 PM
Oh, this girl understands completely where you're coming from, FROGNATION. The very concept of Godzilla strikes a very primal cord in all of us. It's the sense of being insignificant and powerless in the face of something truly terrifying - something that can't be bargained or reasoned with. In the end, it's the sense of a far superior predator coming to get you - and there isn't a single bloody thing you can do to postpone that inevitability! :)

GODZILLA HIMSELF

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 9:47 PM
i had an extremely vivid dream about godzilla once.there was fire and smoke everywhere, falling rubble and debris were falling on people, crushing them and splitting them in half, there were people who were burnt like in hiroshima walking around, because of the smoke you never could tell where godzilla was until he was right in front of you, so i would be clambering over some ruble and suddenly godzillas foot would come down and smash the building in front of me, sending splintered wood my way. everything was loud and the earth was shaking. everything was extremely intense,planes and choppers were falling out of the sky(which was red and thick with clouds of smoke so i never knew where they would come from), people were trampling eachother. plus there was the fear of radiation poisoning i was thinking about.it felt extremely real and was the most teryffying dream i have ever had. 

So yes, i do find godzilla a very scary concept.

king of the monsters

GODZILLA HIMSELF

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 9:48 PM

funny, i didnt think i italasyzed that, also how do you spell that correctly?

king of the monsters

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-22-2014 9:50 PM
GODZILLA HIMSELF - Now THAT would be an unnerving dream! Oh, and I believe it's spelled Italisized - though I might be wrong - it's not a word I commonly use! :)

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 11:19 PM

@Frognation - Good that you came up with this topic.

Though I would very much like to agree that indeed there is more cause for us to be fearful or terrified of Godzilla given it's immensity and disastrous impact, somehow we wonder why Godzilla strikes less fear or panick than those horror films that depict demonic possessions or supernatural entities? The reason stems from the very arrogance of humans (us) ourselves.

Till today, Mankind has remained unchallenged and has emerged the apex predator of Earth, with the ability to decimate or to save entire species of animals. You will see that there are tonnes of people out there who view themselves as a superior breed that shows no respect for wildlife or the abilities of animals because of our technological superiority, intellect and weaponry. It's the survival of the fittest they say. They view themselves as entitled to feed on and to leech the resources of the Earth without consequence. 

As such, if anything is viewed as a pest, just simply kill it. Ask any person out there about this new Godzilla movie, and you will observe most of them would say things like, " I wonder how is Godzilla gonna get killed " or " the humans are gonna kill him anyway".

Strangely, nobody said anything about co-existing or respect. It all boils down to the human mindset. As long as it's not human, there's always a sure way to kill it, after all we are superior. That's the kind of thinking you get from most people out there. So in the end no matter how fearsome a creature is, people would readily dismiss it as merely cinematic entertainment, and would rather choose to fear something closer to themselves.

There is also a reason why people make movies like Godzilla. To remind people of their arrogance and the need to show some bit of respect to nature.  

" Your kind feared the Darkness. "

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-23-2014 4:13 AM
DESTROYAH-X - Very nicely phrased. That was a well thought-out and presented standpoint! I enjoyed reading it greatly! :)

Rexzilla2000

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 4:46 AM

Godzilla the best :D

Devianteist

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 4:56 AM

Destoroyah-X nailed it right on the head.

I myself have asked several people this question, by giving them a little survey;

What is the best way to kill a Kaiju, aka, Giant Monster?
Most common answer was a Jaeger.

What would you do if, as a military leader, you were put in charge of defending a city from Kaiju?
Most common answer was to build a wall with bombers on stand-by. Nuke it if all else fails.

Now, what would you do if there was a Kaiju that, no matter what you did, couldn't die?
Most common answer was that a creature like that is impossible. There's always a way to kill it.

What if I told you there IS a Kaiju that can't be killed?
Most common answer was that they'd find a way to kill it.

As I said, Destoroyah-X nailed it on the head. I never mentioned Godzilla's name, to avoid this response-> Gypsy Danger would kill Godzilla in 5 seconds. Ha, yeah. Right. I suppose your lunch can kill you in 5 seconds, too?

Deviation is not shameful. Conforming is.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusApr-23-2014 5:10 AM

Man, I always found Godzilla terrifying, but in an awe-inspiring manner, ironically. Because I fear him, I respect him. You can't really get much better than that. Though, to be fair, being an immortal giant that defies one's perception of the natural world has that effect on people.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-23-2014 5:57 AM
DEVIANTEIST - I've a feeling Godzilla would turn a Jaeger (Gypsy or otherwise) into a heavily-smoking crater with a minimal amount of effort. The creatures those machines were designed to fight are stuffed animals compared to the King! Hmmm, I wonder how long Gypsy would last in a stand-up fight with Godzilla... :)

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 6:33 AM

@Something Real & @Devianteist: 

I'm glad to know you see where I'm coming from. I am just speaking from how I really feel about mankind's disrespect for nature and our planet Earth. Look around and see what is happening today. Hundreds of thousands of animals or wildlife are being slaughtered everyday to feed the voracious appetite of the human race not only for food but exploitation in many other ways. I do believe that humanity, despite having the ability to be sentient, has turned out to become a parasite and a cancer that's inflicting damage on the planet. 

It's at times like this that you wish a creature like Godzilla really exists to pose a challenge to humanity and to put things into balance isn't it? I think that's what the movie aims to achieve. 

" Your kind feared the Darkness. "

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-23-2014 6:38 AM
DESTROYAH-X - Indeed. In Edwards' upcoming film, Godzilla is a punishment for mankind; he's Mother Nature's most terrible champion. Against such a raw, natural force, there can be only one outcome: Man will be reminded of his place in the world - and it is not as the planet's undisputed overlord.

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonApr-23-2014 7:04 AM

You're definitely not alone on this one.  Godzilla, when handled effectively, is truly a terrifying thing to behold.  For me, seeing something that huge and unstopable is as horrifying as it is awe inspiring. 

However, at least in my opinion, what makes Godzilla, namely the King as he appeared in his original film, truly terrifying is more subliminal than visual.  One criticism often leveled against Godzilla is his lack of true motivation; in the original film, he simply appears to destroy Japan.  He lacks an overt reason for destroying, unlike most monsters of the time.  King Kong is lost afraid in the alien environment of New York, and views everything as a threat.  The Rhedosaurus of Harryhausen's Beast from 20,000 Fathams is returning to his ancestors' breeding grounds, which just happens to be New York as well.  But we don't really know what drives Godzilla.  Is it anger?  Possibly a desire for revenge, or justice?  If thats the case, revenge or justice for what?  Most critics of the time dismissed this seeming lack of motivation as laziness on the part of Godzilla's creators, but they were missing the point.  Godzilla's lack of true, clear motivation was by design.  Understanding where monsters like Kong and the Beast come from, and knowing why they are acting the way they are, makes them less terrifying and more relatable.  Once we get them, we fear them less, and often sympathize with them. 

But Godzilla is completely different: he is beyond human understanding, as is his reason for doing what he does.  This ambiguity is, in my opinion, one of the character's greatest assets.  What people do not understand, they fear.  Godzilla simply is, and our inability to know truly where he comes from, and why he seems set on destruction, make him even more terrifying.  When, in most of the sequels, we gradually come to understand Godzilla a little more, we find it easier to empathize with him, and even side with him.  But when presented in a serious way, as he will be in the new film, the mystery of Godzilla, combined with his obveous great size and power, serve to make the creature more frightening and unique. :)

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

Devianteist

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 8:14 AM

@Destoroyah-X- It's hard to find like-minded people in this world anymore. I'm glad you and I share such an opinion. We are parasites, quite so.

Kyorah16

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 8:38 AM

I once had a dream where I was right in the middle of Godzilla attack... People were screaming and clambering over one another, trying to get away. He just walked, as if he were unaware of all the insignificant people who were dying beneath his feet. I remember buildings collapsing and the air being filled with dust. The deafening mixture of screams and inhuman bellowing clogging my ears. Last thing I remember was an intense light and feeling my body disintegrate before I woke up. I was in a cold, terrified sweat.

As much as I love Godzilla... He terrifies me.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusApr-23-2014 9:12 AM

All this talk about the insignificane of Humanity to Godzilla has got me thinking....

We need a new video game that highlights this fact. Gameplay revolving around avoiding the King of the Monsters' rampage, knowing that he could appear anywhere, and you wouldn't ever be able to truly escape him, since there is no physical obstruction that could keep him away. Of course, there would have to be a reason he doesn't just ignore you, but still.

In fact, this could apply to any sort of giant monster, in a destroyed city setting where the only goal is to get to somewhere safer than your current position, avoiding a gigantic titan of a beast all the way. It could make for quite the emotional thriller!

Devianteist

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 9:17 AM

@TheGman123- Take my currency!

Spinojira

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 10:29 AM

@Destroyah-x

"The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control,...and not the other way around."

(Man, I love that line... )

"Its a Tyrannosaurus."

"I don't think so... It sounds bigger. It sounds like death; the destroyer of worlds...."

Mr. Goji

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 11:06 AM

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” ~H. P. Lovecraft

Murph Dog

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 12:22 PM

yeah, i used to be scared of him when i was a little kid (around 5 or so)

Kage432

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-23-2014 12:44 PM

From what I've been reading from all of you I can say for certain that this thread is by far the best in my opinion. I too believe Godzilla to be both terrifying in concept and execution in most instances. I'm glad we all seem to agree that true fear is fear of the unknowable, something far beyond anything we could ever hope to understand or best for that matter. Godzilla, to me at least, represents a creature with no motivations, no qualms, and no mercy. He is a creature that only exists to cause us suffering and needs no reason for doing so. That isn't to say the he targets us, for we pose no threat to him, but it is his very existance that paints a path of destruction through all that we have wrought - as if we were nothing to him, less than nothing. He doesn't care about us and his actions are so primal, any intent is but instinct to him and so far from any human's understanding. We can't lable him as an animal with but an animal's intellect because everything that the king is becomes so far from that concept that its impossible for it to hold any merit. Godzilla is not just an animal. To us, he is pain, loss, sadness, anger, fear, and envy. We envy him, a superior being that could go on to live a thousand more years without us and not even blink at the idea of it. We could all be killed in his wake and it wouldn't even matter, he would go on with everything else as if we never existed, that is the true meaning of insignificant and that is why Godzilla is terrifying, because in comparrison to the king we are nothing more than grain of sand on the beach, and as insignificant as a fleeting memory.

And if I haven't already said it, I am loving this thread. Good talk everyone! Can't wait till May 16th ;)

#NEWBLOOKEDATMYSHIKAI http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/077/0/9/Aizen_Motivational_by_draconichero18.jpg

Dysanic

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 12:30 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned, but even Gareth himself said that we as humans always have that fear of a threat, like something is coming to get us, from us being in grass huts the incarnated fear was smaller and as our huts turn into skyscrapers, the fear of that threat grows. I think he nailed it on the head. 

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
74% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums