Godzilla Movie

WHen are the critics reviewing G-man?

1054 Views12 Replies
Forum Topic

deadpickle

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 9:53 AM

Since its edging closer to the premier I am starting to worry that there are no reviews out for the movie yet. It worries me because movies that are not sent to critics before they open tend to get terrible ratings and in turn sometimes turn out to be terrible movies. Maybe I'm being to superstitious but when do you think they will send godzilla off to be reviewed? 

12 Replies

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-24-2014 10:06 AM

Yes, movies aren't typically screened for critics a week or two before the movie's release and even then there's a critic embargo that Legendary /WB keeps. If critics break that embargo they aren't invited to future screenings. Chances are we won't see official reviews until a week before release. Why get worried about this now?

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

junkerde

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 10:08 AM

so there WAS an embargo.

Kage432

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 10:15 AM

I remember there was something like that with the toyline wasn't there?

#NEWBLOOKEDATMYSHIKAI http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/077/0/9/Aizen_Motivational_by_draconichero18.jpg

Murph Dog

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 11:33 AM

sometime in may they will review it

ratedrex

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 2:28 PM

Usually if a studio thinks they have a good movie they will allow critics to review the movie weeks before its opening in order to initiate positive buzz (the Amazing Spiderman 2 and Neighbors have had reviews out for the last 3 weeks and they don't open until May 2).  If a studios is nervous about the quality of the movie, they will hold off on screenings because they don't want bad word of mouth to poison the air before the movie comes out (Tyler Perry movies, for example, are notorious for holding on to their screenings until the very last moment because they know that the critics are going to roast them).  If there are no Godzilla reviews by late next week, then that's a red flag.  Frankly, I expected reviews by this week.  With all the excitement going around, it would be even more exciting if a few rave reviews were released.  I'm beginning to get nervous.  The Wondercon leaked video may have been a marketing ploy.  Every movie can come up with a great five minute segmen.  Why would they do that unless they aren't confident enough to show the entire film to critics.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-24-2014 2:35 PM

The Amazing Spider-Man 2's review embargo didn't lift until last week. Just because other reviews leaked over the last couple or so (it wasn't three weeks) doesn't mean jack one way or antoher for the movie's quality. Same can be said for Godzilla. The fact of the matter is plenty of good movies get reviews held out until the week before. If Godzilla reviews haven't started officially appearing the Monday before the movie is released THEN you have cause to be worried. Until then some of you are freaking yourselves out for not good reason at all.

It's like when people were worried it wasn't getting enough marketing all over again... Fans are goofy.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

deadpickle

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 2:50 PM

Marketing is the sauce but reviews are the meat... I would agree with everything ratedrex said and was the initial idea for the question. Its 3 weeks till showtime so If I dont see reviews in two week the dive alarms will be sounding. This wont effect my want to go see it at all though... just hoping for a excellent movie. But if an entertaining movie is the minimum in my book I'm sure godzilla will deliver.

TarrellZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 3:48 PM

I have to agree with GMan, the whole critic review timing thing isn't very close to fact. The Dark Knight Rises had reviews come out only a week before it's release and over 90% of the critics reviews were overwhelmingly positive.

As for Spider-Man 2 you have to remember the american release is May 2, but the film has been out in the UK since April 16th, and all the early critic reviews came out April 8th.

I think it's safe to say reviews will come out a week before the release.

ratedrex

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 4:25 PM

I worked marketing for 20 years for a major movie studio.  The studios routinely allowed Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Time , Newsweek and Time Out (in England) to review movies and print the reviews weeks before its premier.  Noah, Captain America, Spiderman and Neighbors rate high on the rottentomatoe meter, coincidently their reviews surfaced long before the movie opened.  Transendence, A Haunted House 2, God's not Dead and Single Moms Club rate very low on the rottentomato meter, and sure enough all those movies weren't screened until a couple of days before the opening.  Word of mouth can make or break a movie.  The Lone Ranger was torched by the critics, it bombed at the box-office.  American Hustle got rave reviews (even though the movie sucked), which allowed it to do much better at the box-office than projected.  Lastly, a week after Godzilla opens, XMen opens.  So Godzilla has to do well right out of the gate in order to generate positive buzz.  The best way to start well is to have positive word of mouth weeks before the movie opens.  We still have about 10 days.  If reviews aren't out by May 6th......

joaomlo2

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 4:31 PM

There is an early screening taking place in London on April 11, so I am expecting the first reviews a day or two from then.

deadpickle

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-24-2014 5:04 PM

@joaomlo2 guessing you mean May 11. Godzilla is going against some heavy hitters, Spiderman 2 and X-Men... They have the hype given the current comic craze (thankfully its not going agains Gaurdians of the Galaxy) so I would think Legendary wants to get reviews out after Spiderman 2 to undercut those dragging to see it and convince them to hold off a bit longer and before X-men to get those holding on to their allowance to wait another week to see X-men. Im hoping for rotten to get reviews in two weeks before the movie but a week before I'll get itchy.

Daimajin

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-01-2014 12:48 PM

I work in the film industry (3D animation) & I have attended quite a few screenings & several premiers.

I have found The strategy varies-it all depends on the director & the marketing department

if a film is terrible, they will often wait till almost the release date & even not have pre-screenings for critics.

If a film is good, but not really big, they will often let people/reporters to see the screenings early to accomoate thier schedules- they will release reviews early.

On some big films they think are really big, they often have embargo's till after the premeir- my guess is to have a "big Splash"

if you don't start getting reviews slightlly before the opening week or the monday of the opening, then start to worry. Otherwise I would there is nothing to reallt conclude.

AND- most importantly- a lot of reviewers like their swag they get from the studios. So, they tend to do "favors" for the studios that are friendly to them & studios know that. They will invite in studio friendly reviewers to see the screeners first- I suspect this is happening with Spiderman.

I think a lot of revievewers will go in to Godzilla with a negative opinion first with the 98 still leaving a bad taste & it is not "high art" a lot of the reviewers like- so WB's job is to convince them- which is why they are probably waiting till the premier- critics have big egos & are lemmings- they want to fit in & look "cool" & have what they think is the "right opinion" Good leaked wor of mouth will help with this

So far I have seen 2 reviews- both said it is amazing (slash & a screener's). I think they are legit

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums