Godzilla Movie

2014 Godzilla size issue

5932 Views12 Replies
Forum Topic

True American Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 8:00 AM

In the above scene, we see the American Godzilla at the Golden Gate Bridge. Now the Legendary Pictures folks claim this Godzilla is 355' tall. However doing some real life fact checking research I discovered an error on this size.

Above is a diagram of the Golden Gate Bridge itself. What this image doesn't say is that water (at its deepest point) is 360' deep http://omp.gso.uri.edu/ompweb/doee/science/descript/baysfran.htm Granted this is under the bridge, but even right next to it the depth should still be close to this number.

By knowing the water's depth at the middle of the bridge (were Godzilla should be) I measured from the top of the railing at the road to the bottom at the deepest point I estimate 636'. For the American Godzilla to truly be this massive next to the Golden Gate Bridge, he couldn't be 355' or even 400' tall but bigger.

UPDATE: Below is a screenshot of Godzilla after walking through the Golden Gate Bridge, be sure to compare this to the above information. A 400' Godzilla would have been able to simply swim under the bridge.

I believe in Jesus Christ, who's my Lord and Savior.

John 3:16, Job 41:1-34, Leviticus 18:22

12 Replies

Godzilla316

MemberAnguirusJun-23-2014 8:58 AM

I commented on your last topic and I guess all giant monster movies cant make everything realistic, so eother they decreased the Golden Gate Bridge size or water depth, or Godzilla is just massive. Probably 400' tall or even bigger but no where near 636'

Weights of Mutos, King Ghidorah and Biollante

Remember that chap, I forget his name, he climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. They asked him, they said, "Why did you go up there to die?" He said, "I didn't, I went up there to live."

Carnosaur

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 10:06 AM

you raise an interesting point, but i think it would be difficult on the part of the CGI engineer to keep Godzilla at a constant 355' throughout the entire movie. There's gotta be a lot of scaling issues and stuff like that for it to be continuous

Nature doesn't deceive us; it is we who deceive ourselves.

Linkzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 12:57 PM

I thought we were done with this whole height argument months before the film was even released! Sorry, but we've had official confirmation that Godzilla is 355 feet tall for a long time now.

TW_G-Fan2014

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 1:44 PM

The problem is the diagram. It's not a perfectly accurate representation of the exact depth of the water by comparison to the bridge. There are better ones out there, and the shot you have is also basically a singular and microscopic slice that doesn't encompass the depth of the water the further away from the bridge you go in either direction.

When Godzilla swam up to the bridge, his body size when swimming parallel to the ground is no more than about seventy to eighty feet in total. He's fairly chunky in this film, but not so much so that he's as wide as he is tall. That being said, he could get very close to the shore without breaking the surface until he wanted to. When you look at the scene immediately following his smash through the bridge, he's practically right on the shore and walking in what is for him only ankle deep water.

However, for the sake of argument, I will agree with GODZILLA316 in that Godzilla's standing position might be altered or forced to allow for the scene to take place. If you'll notice Godzilla's size compared to the bridge, it's accurate to his 355' stat. What has likely changed was that Legendary forced a solid ground beneath him to allow him to be that height close to the center of the bridge. Legendary didn't change Godzilla, they changed the depth of the water at Godzilla's point in the top picture to make him appear to be able to stand that close to it as if the water were only around fifty feet or so at the most. Next to the center point of the bridge, that's still fairly accurate for his 355' size given the picture.

So ultimately it's not Godzilla's size that is changing. It's the camera angles and the perception created by those angles which makes it look like his height is changing. But Legendary was very careful to keep Godzilla himself at a stable and consistent size throughout the film, unlike the 98' atrocity which was always changing from shot to shot. What really changed was the groudn beneath Godzilla's feet to allow the shot to take place the way it did.

True American Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 1:45 PM

@LINKZILLA: That was before the movie hit theaters. By looking at this scene from the movie itself, and doing some fact checking as stated above, there is 0% chance a 355-400' tall Godzilla could even reach the road on the Golden Gate Bridge, let alone be taller than it. The ocean under the bridge is 360' deep!!

I estimate, by playing with calculations and images, the American Godzilla needs to be around 900' tall to match this and similar shots like it.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-23-2014 1:45 PM

they did warn us about the cgi effects before the movie released, still though godzilla is 355 feet tall. :)

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-23-2014 1:47 PM

@true american godzilla,

sorry to say but as much as i would like to see godzilla be around 700 feet tall, it's never going to happen. :(

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

True American Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 1:51 PM

@BIGBADBEN: Still fun to imagine though. From my own research into the area in question, this size is still needed to go throguh the bridge.

Imagine a 900' tall American (2014) Godzilla meeting the 328' tall Final Wars Japanese Gorjira... a short battle to be sure but one I'd love to see (for Jap GOjira would get KOd).

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-23-2014 1:53 PM

that is true, it is fun to think about but at least he is much bigger than slattern in size. Should godzilla ever reach around 700 feet tall that might happen in the year 3000. XD

And if godzilla was that tall i don't think any monster from toho or daiei would be able to handle him as most of the smaller kaiju's he would just have to step on them and flatten them out like a carboard box. :)

Dragonlord Tevin

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 2:13 PM

This is so true, yesterday I went to san fransisco and the only thing I thought about that whole day was Godzilla and studied each building and the Golden Gate Bridge to find out if Godzilla's size scaling was really correct in the movie.

But sadly, I looked down into the water under the bridge and looked at some buildings and realized the movie probably had it all wrong you know.

Dragonlord Tevin

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 2:14 PM

LINKZILLA that's not what this discussion's about dude -_-

We're talking about Godzilla's size mistake, not how big he is of course we know he's 355 feet?

jpjoe84

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-23-2014 2:29 PM

Yea well why didnt G just swim under the bridge? Right?

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums