Godzilla Movie

How good is the GMK Godzilla movie?

4006 Views15 Replies
Forum Topic

True American Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 6:32 AM

In the past few days I've been hearing, and interested, in seeing the movie "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack " aka the GMK Godzilla movie. See I haven't seen the movie before, but it sounds good and the Godzilla concept (at least what little I've heard) is an interesting concept to make it 'realistic' (as the movie makers where trying to find a way to).

So, how good was the movie (with no spoilers please) overall? Do you recommend watching it? How does it compare to the following movies (that I have seen):

1956 Godzilla film

Godzilla vs King Kong

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters

Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

Godzilla vs Destoroyah

1998 American Zilla

Godzilla: Final Wars

2014 Godzilla

I believe in Jesus Christ, who's my Lord and Savior.

John 3:16, Job 41:1-34, Leviticus 18:22

15 Replies

petedj06

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 6:46 AM

I feel it's the best millennium godzilla movie, but not as good as the early Showa movies. It has a tone similar to the original, but has some corny scenes, and (IMO) some questionable monster redesigns.

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 6:54 AM

depends on the person, i consider it one of the 3 best godzilla movies, it has good acting, good special efects, its more realistic in the scence that the millitary is confuced, and don't know whats happening, and incluedes the best scene in a Kaiju Film Baragon walking in a fores with hundreads of birds flyng away

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 7:40 AM

its one of the top godzilla movies. its action, fx, and story are really good. and you get to see godzilla in a whole new light

High FLYERS Tag Team

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 9:34 AM

It's my current favorite. But that might change once I watch '84 

There are strong men and weak men. The strong ones are here to keep the weak ones up when ever they fail.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-15-2014 10:21 AM

One of my top favorites, easily the best of the Millennium series and one of the top best of the last thirty years. GMK isn't a typical Godzilla movie which is why it's beloved by so many and, opposingly, reviled by a vocal minority.

It pointed out some hard things for the Japanese people when it was released and prompted some interesting social discussion amongst Japanese scholars / professors-- Which is one of the reasons it was the highest grossing film in the Millennium series.

As for those list of movies you want it compared to... Each movie is different so it's hard to compare, but the 1956 version of the 1954 film isn't too bad so it could probably hold up against GMK:

King Kong vs. Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters I consider Honda's weakest entries. They're close, but not quite up to par for Honda-- Atleast Destroy All Monsters isn't. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla is the worst film in the series and Godzilla: Final Wars isn't far off. Meanwhile, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah and Godzilla '14 are middling movies, both enjoyable, but flawed. And I don't recognize the 1998 movie as part of the series. So GMK stands up very well against those titles-- likely better.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Linkzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 10:23 AM

I'd say it's definitely one of the best in the series. But, where did you hear that it was "realisitic?" I don't want to spoil too much, but it's really more of a fantasy film than sci-fi.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-15-2014 10:56 AM

^I meant to make mention of that as well. It's not realistic, it's fantastical and that's what sets it apart. If you're looking for realism in the Godzilla series you're in the wrong franchise...

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Durp004

MemberBaragonJul-15-2014 11:27 AM

One of my least favorite entries in the series. Honestly I would rank it lower than every single one of the movies you listed besides maybe the 98 and Final Wars.

True American Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 11:38 AM

@GMAN2887 & LINKZILLA: First off, thank you for the big review there :)! So far I've heard it's a very good movie and to me that's very promising. As for the 1998 film, I only meant as a general monster movie and not a Godzilla movie (that's why I called it the "American Zilla" movie).

I've heard that the movie makers wanted this Godzilla to be realistic. However, because they couldn't find a realistic reason for a "60 Meter tall mutant dinosaur" they made it have a magical origin. That's all I meant to say for the 'realism' aspect.

I believe in Jesus Christ, who's my Lord and Savior.

John 3:16, Job 41:1-34, Leviticus 18:22

Sword Sam

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 11:54 AM

the movie is so awesome its my 2nd favorite godzilla film with 2014 in first

TFKPillar76

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2014 6:13 PM

It's really good, and the ending just shows how invincible Godzilla really is. 

Panthalassan

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-16-2014 2:58 PM

It's a good one, definitely.  Originally Shusuke Kaneko (the director) wanted to use Anguirus and Varan instead of Mothra and King Ghidorah, and if Toho had let him do it I think it would be revered as a Godzilla classic.  Otherwise, it's pretty good, good enough to show your non Godzilla fan friends where they won't be falling asleep.  The Godzilla vs Baragon scene is just awesome, probably one of the best Godzilla fight scenes ever.

High FLYERS Tag Team

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-16-2014 8:50 PM

GMAN2887- Zilla if part of the series. He had toys everywhere beside Godzilla ones at g-fest. He was mention in GMK. He's in Final Wars. I believe there's something else

There are strong men and weak men. The strong ones are here to keep the weak ones up when ever they fail.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-16-2014 9:22 PM

Unfortunately you have a point. That doesn't mean I recognize GINO as a Godzilla movie on a more intimate level.

ghidorah2001

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-30-2014 10:14 PM

its good but not amazing well i like it its just a bit weird

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Gigan
87% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
73% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums