Godzilla Movie

Could we see a Mothra/Battra hybrid for the sequel?

1894 Views10 Replies
Forum Topic

TarrellZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 7:25 PM

So as we all know Mothra and 2 other monsters will be entering the new Godzilla universe for the sequel. The thing in question is how Mothra will be handled.

The Shobijin seem like the first interesting obstacle. As for being realistic I could see a tribe or "cult" built around this creature that's hidden from the world on a small island. Ok, simple. They had something similar in the Showa films.

The REAL thing I wonder is if Mothra will be hero or villain. In the newer film Godzilla has already taken Mothras spot as natures response to humans ignorance towards the planet. Could this mean Mothra is just another giant monster on the loose or could she and Battra be morphed into the same character? By that I mean natures protector status still stays but this time is a much darker and violent creature opposite that deliberatly goes after humanity.

Sorry for the long read, post your thoughts below!

10 Replies

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 7:28 PM

You yust had the same idea i had, but i dougth it, gareth made godzilla faithfoul to its classic counter part, so i don't see them changing her

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

DannyBlazor

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 7:54 PM

I really hope they don't bring the Mothra fairies into the sequel 

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 7:58 PM

I hope they bring them back, at least as normall humans

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

Mecha Rodan

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 7:59 PM

Maybe a reference to the twins like GMK did or at the very least have a cave painting from a human tribe that used to worship Mothra.

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 8:23 PM

id rather have reference like mecha rodan and id rather have this incarnation of mothra to be nuetral at least. not on anybodys side

hilsdorf84

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-27-2014 11:30 PM

I don't care as long as she gets fried by atomic breath like an actual moth would lol

ardian

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-28-2014 6:12 AM

if there is mothra, then the fairies have to be there as well... end of story

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganJul-28-2014 6:48 AM

I really don't mind if Mothra and Battra are combined.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonJul-28-2014 9:42 AM

Mothra is my favorite monster other than Godzilla, and I'm super psyched that she is returning.

Shut up.

That said, her fantastic elements will be hard to overcome in this new, hyper realistic series.  Mothra is often depicted as having great intelligence and human-like feelings of compassion, and is seen, at least by her people (whether they be Infant Islanders or variations on the Shobijin) as a Goddess.  In this new series, tiny twin fairies and other elements of fantasy associated with Mothra's character will either have to be handled carefully, tweked to fit the realistic narative, or removed all together.  The problem is, if you simply make Mothra a giant bug, she looses her unique traits that make her... well, Mothra.  Including her in the series is a risk, but I think they can pull it off if they find the right balance with her character. 

I can see her being described as an ancient creature, from Godzilla's era, who has survived eons on a Pacific Island where the natives, over generations, have come to revere her as a god.  Maybe they project intelligence and fantastic traits upon her as part of their religious beliefs, and as the film progresses, we see her make decisions and do things that make the chracters and audience wonder if she really is more intelligent than she appears.  Leaving her ture nature ambiguous might be the way to go.  But I can see some Battra-like elements being incorporated into her character, which would make her more realistic to a western audience.  Even more so than Godzilla, Mothra is a uniquely Japanese character, and it will be interesting to see how she is translated into a Hollywood-produced narrative.

Here's praying they don't mess her up!

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

TW_G-Fan2014

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-28-2014 2:49 PM

Mothra and Battra are not one and the same nor are they actually considered to be truly linked. They only ever shared a link in one movie, and that movie was a far cry from Mothra's past or recent appearances.

Mothra's original form came as a standalone monster in 1963 in the movie Mothra before she was introduced into the Godzilla franchise as Godzilla's enemy in 1964. At that time, and all throughout the Showa era, she was a guardian to Infant Island. Plain and simple.

The Heisei seires Mothra only showed up once, and in that single appearance her origin as a guardian of Infant Island was changed to a full blown deity and guardian of the Earth itself. Her dark counterpart was Battra, but they are two different creatures and that link between them was done away with during the Millennium era when she was revisited during Tokyo S.O.S and Final Wars.

So Battra will very likely not be a part of this. His appearance in the Heisei era was cool, but he is not a true or consistent part of Mothra's lore and legacy, so I highly doubt that he will be part of this or in any way be given a nod to in the film. Mothra is Mothra. Plain and simple. She doesn't need Battra to be a threat to Godzilla, as is proven by her record against him throughout the original Toho franchise.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums