Godzilla Movie

Regarding the Transfer of Godzilla (2014)..

4645 Views8 Replies
Forum Topic

Goji

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 7:34 AM

Here is what i think:

Anyway, I looked through everything on the blu-ray. The movie's picture is dark. I don't think it's a flawed transfer though, because it is very crisp and clear -- it's just a very dark movie. I didn't mess around with my brightness, I just kept it at my normal setting, nor did I watch it in a pitch black room. I can't say for sure if the movie is any darker than how it was in the theater, because as I said earlier, I saw the Imax 3D version, and there may be a variation with that, BUT, one thing I can say for sure is that when watching and comparing it to the extras, the scenes from the movie are brightened up a lot more in the bonus features, and you can actually see more detail in everything, which to me does look better.

What it comes down to is that I definitely think the level of black in the movie is intentional on the part of the director. There is a lot of contrast with shadows and light, with the help of a lot illuminated smoke, which helps you see what's going on in the film, even if every detail isn't clear. I don't think a botched transfer, and it's really not much of an eye-strain -- it's just an artistic decision not everyone will agree on.

“Give me where to stand and I will move the earth”.

8 Replies

The Doctor

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 7:59 AM

Most movies these days are made to look darker because it just seems as if that's what the majority of movie go-ers want in new movies. They like the darkness mainly because of drama and foreshadowing, I guess. That's just what I'm thinking. I'm probably wrong... I think that a crisper picture would be nice, but I'm ok with any version I can get my hands on. :P

Godzilla316

MemberAnguirusSep-16-2014 8:39 AM

The main problem is the device itself, I got the Digital HD on my computer and its crisp clear quality. On my Galaxy S3 its really dark but my best friend Joshua, has a Galaxy Note 3 and although its darker than PC its still much better than on my phone

Remember that chap, I forget his name, he climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. They asked him, they said, "Why did you go up there to die?" He said, "I didn't, I went up there to live."

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 10:30 AM

I remember the normal 3D in the theater was very dark. And I noticed that all the bonus features online are quite bright compared to what I remember. So I agree with Godzilla316, it must be the device that plays it

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-16-2014 10:42 AM

Because transfers are digital these days the exact same ones used for the theatrical versions are typically used for home video. I'm sure there's minor exceptions to this rule, but it's 99.9% of the case.

That being said, while I'm not entirely sure the darkening of the film was an "artistic decision" it was done on purpose. Because there is no way the digital elements magically became darker without someone messing with the levels.

That being said, it was a bad decision. Whoever was in charge of the authoring of the Bluray/DVD release (and it wasn't Edwards) felt the movie looked better on TV displays with deeper blacks in the contrast. This is a case of poor decision making as the film is unwatchable on specific TV screens, especially older displays.

The picture quality isn't the issue. The black levels are and it's royaly destroyed mine and others enjoyment of the film.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

TarrellZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 12:18 PM

Haven't checked out the Blu Ray yet but so far with the digital version I just had to slightly up the brightness and I could see the last fight as good as I could in theaters (which was really clear for me).

Certainly seems like it's best to watch at night/in a dark room. The slightest glare can ruin it.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-16-2014 12:57 PM

Certainly seems like it's best to watch at night/in a dark room. The slightest glare can ruin it.

Exactly. The problem is you shouldn't have to wait until night to enjoy a home video release. I've been playing around with my TV and I've found an acceptable level with it. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still not how it looked in theaters.

The simple fact I have to adjust anything says a lot.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Goji

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 2:26 PM

Dread Central's review is up....and from what i gather everyone one is mixed when it comes to this release...Some say it's bad while others say it's perfect...What's going on here?

Here's a snippet:

"First and foremost, the Blu-ray is nothing short of a textbook example of exactly the way a high-definition film should be presented. Everything looks gleefully sharp and detailed with robust colors that really pop and black levels that are just deliciously deep. It’s stunning really. Couple that with an outstanding DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless soundtrack that needs to be heard to be believed, and you’ve got yourself a winner here, friends."

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/68518/godzilla-blu-ray-dvd/#axzz3DVoPTd4w

“Give me where to stand and I will move the earth”.

TarrellZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-16-2014 3:03 PM

I just watched the final fight on blu ray, day time with a few windows open, and the quality was EXCELLENT. I don't know if it has something to do with what TV you are using, but I could see everything just fine! Didn't even need to adjust the TV. I was much more pleased than when I first watched the digital version. The dread central review pretty much wraps up how I was able to view it.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Gigan
87% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
73% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums