Godzilla Movie

What was missing from GODZILLA 2014?!!

2017 Views16 Replies
Forum Topic

onesun187

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-17-2014 7:53 PM

i loved the movie.even with some of the flaws in the pacing. i like it more everytime i watch it.

but one thing was seriously missing which to me was a mistake.godzilla`s thunderous footsteps when he walks.the only scene is the airport scene.we never get to feel the force of his presence when he is amongst the humans which to me is a missed oppurtunity to make him scary.does anyone agree???

16 Replies

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-17-2014 10:02 PM

ONESUN187 - What an excellent point you've raised! I agree; Godzilla's footsteps needed more presence in the film - making him a more tangible entity even when he wasn't visible. That would have made for a much more suspenseful aspect! Thank you very much for bringing this notion to our attention! :)

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonSep-18-2014 4:07 AM
I thought the very same thing. I'm watching it thinking "they are the quietest 300 foot monsters I've ever seen!" His and their footfalls should have been rattling the theater. Godzilla practically creeps up on Ford when he emerges from the smoke/debris! "Be vewwy quiet; I'm hunting wabbit, err, MUTO."

Lord Vader

MemberGodzillaSep-18-2014 4:30 AM

Never even noticed. Kinda like the Spino in JP 3 with the lack of thunderous footsteps.

Jack of all trades. Master of none

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonSep-18-2014 5:07 AM
It was a little nuance I was looking forward to, especially given that the filmmakers had said they were using '54 as an influence, and the footfalls are such a big part of that movie. You hear Godzilla coming before you ever see him, which has a frightening aspect to it. Something's coming; something big. One of the few cool things about the '98 version, certainly early on in the movie.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-18-2014 10:03 AM

That part really  bugged me in the film. We hear his footsteps at the airport, and as soon as his feet are offscreen, we don't hear them anymore. It felt like something was missing.

Super Godzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-18-2014 12:07 PM

I feel ashamed to have not noticed, but the quiet part at the airport was pretty epic.

SapphireOverlord

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-18-2014 4:37 PM

Remeber in the this moive, Godzilla is a hunter (Alpha Predator).  A hunter dosen't want its prey to know they are there until it is almost too late for them to escape.    If you're footfalls anounce your presence before you reach the prey, you're basically advertising "Here I am stupid!  Look over here!"

Watch any carnivous creature and you will notice this.  Wovles don't howl while hunting deer and elk.  Only after they started the attack will they start howling agian.  Same with Killer Whales.  Orcas which are highly social creatures, go totally silent while hunting for fish, squid, seals, sea lions, or other whales/ dolphins/ porpoises.  Crocs hid underwater, Komodo Dragons hid in underbrush.

Basically don't give yourself away.  This might have been an oversight by Edwards in the moive, or he did it on purpose to convey the hunter aspect of Godzilla.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-18-2014 5:32 PM

The only problem with that is you can't hide the fact you're a 90,000 ton monster lumbering around. It's literally impossible that much weight wouldn't give him away no matter how slow or carefully he walked

SapphireOverlord

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-18-2014 5:47 PM

@DURPOO4: That is true.  90,000 Tons would definetly cause the earth to shake with each step.  Mostly its a theory to why we couldn't hear the footfalls.  T-rex , Gigantosuarus, and Spinosuars (Not so much now due to new evidence) all were able to move silently when hunting prey without giving away their position to the said prey.  Again perhaps this was an oversight that was missed by Edwards.  We may never know unless we ask him.

npinkham19

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-19-2014 6:40 AM

What was missing from the film was a better handling of Godzilla. I didn't want him to be sympathetic but they still could have used that angle and let us fear him as well. Maybe Godzilla shows up and rampages throug the land and people don't realize he's heading to a muto nest. I would have loved that to be the introduction to the mutos .

Gojira 2014

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-19-2014 8:35 AM

In my opinion, this has got to be the most ubsurd thing I have ever heard when it comes down to what was missing from the movie. Sue the footsteps may have been a memoriable trademark from the original film but C'mon, you can think of bigger ideas then that. Its a very uneccesary flay to point out in this movie. Sure, I didn't remember the remarkable mighty gojira foot steps, but does it have to be in this film? no 

(BTW this was not intended as a threat so please don't put my head on a guillitine and behead me please (*,)_(*.) meow)

I have become death.......the casher at the donut shop.......

Gojira 2014

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-19-2014 8:35 AM

In my opinion, this has got to be the most ubsurd thing I have ever heard when it comes down to what was missing from the movie. Sue the footsteps may have been a memoriable trademark from the original film but C'mon, you can think of bigger ideas then that. Its a very uneccesary flay to point out in this movie. Sure, I didn't remember the remarkable mighty gojira foot steps, but does it have to be in this film? no 

(BTW this was not intended as a threat so please don't put my head on a guillitine and behead me please (*,)_(*.) meow)

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonSep-19-2014 8:50 PM

@Gojira2014 - Yes, this movie has far bigger problems than hearing Godzilla's footsteps but that was the question here, and some of us were responding to that, and giving our thoughts. I thought it was an odd omission, especially when the MUTOResearch.net site seemed to have the footfalls as a sound effect, and I thought it sounded cool. Maybe that's not what that was intended to be, who knows. But the footfalls were low on the list of problems this movie had for sure. There are many bigger things that needed to be addressed quite honestly.

onesun187

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-20-2014 7:29 AM

are you kidding me how is it upsurd??they completly missed the oppurtunity to make him scary.that is a very important element of the godzilla mythos his size,weight and the impact of his presence amongst human beings.have you even watched any of the japanese films?my personal new favorite from the japanese films is godzilla mothra king ghidorah giant monsters all out attack.it was such an entertaining monster movie.that film got godzilla perfect to me.his footfalls in that film made him terrifying.this new movie needed that element.when he emerged in hawaii people are running from a tsunami but godzilla quietly strolls past humans while getting shot at!!!any true godziila fan knows this movie missed a big part of what godzilla is to us.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-20-2014 7:33 AM

I feel like many things were missing, especially if you all have read the official novelization. That being said, they are going to have to step up big time for the sequel.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Gojira 2014

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-24-2014 12:37 AM

Onesun18@ Yes I have watched the all 28 japanese films. But thats still no reason to give this movie another slap in the face because it didn't have something so minor added into it. And in my opinion, I forgot the footsteps because I don't care about them, giant footsteps just arn't very scary to me. Evdn if they put the footsteps it wouldn't have made him scary at all, we would be too busy thinking about how awesome the new godzilla is rather then how scary, cause this new godzilla wasn't scary at all, but it was awesome. Now I did tell you it wasn't intended as a threat and you dared to ask me, as die hard of a godzilla fan I am, if I watched the older movies. As I said, I may have said my comment wasn't meant to be threatning...but I think i'm starting to change my mind about that.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums