Godzilla Movie

Powers: E.M.P.

4314 Views15 Replies
Forum Topic

Goji

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-23-2014 6:44 AM

E.M.P Shockwave.: The male Muto was able to activate an E.M.P. wave by either slamming it's claws into the ground or later on at San Fransisco Bay, together when flying in the air. Because it has to be activated a machine like Mechagodzilla can probably kill it but would have to act quickly and never give it the chance to do so, or else it will disable the machine and allow it fly away and escape or finish off the now powerless mecha.

E.M.P. Bubble: The female was different in that she had a dome around her that was a passive ability that was active around her at all times. Machines would either be shorted out or glitching like the Super-X with the 1984 nuclear storm or Moguera with Spacegodzilla's energy aura. Only machines out of the range of said dome or given E.M.P shielding would not be effected.

Well there's not much to these powers as they would effect things like Mechagodzilla more than organic foes such as Rodan. The Mutos relied on their teamwork more than anything, using the E.M.P. primary to disable pests which were mainly the military.

“Give me where to stand and I will move the earth”.

15 Replies

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-23-2014 11:13 AM

You're missing the fact that those E.M.P.s were the reason Godzilla's atomic plasma breath wasn't as powerful and/or quickly charged as it could've been. The only weapon capable of permanently destroying regenerative M.U.T.O. cells, and the E.M.P. was the main countermeasure developed by the species.

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-23-2014 12:04 PM

Id say The Mutos by Short circueting Godzilla's Breath made it more powerfoul, but also slowing its charge

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

B. M. H.

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-23-2014 3:25 PM

I remember thinking, while I watched the movie the first time; "Gee, considering this species supposedly evolved millions of years ago, that's a pretty useless weapon against anybody but, well, humans... Sucks to be us."

I like the idea that the E.M.P. affected Godzilla's atomic breath, but sadly, the idea just doesn't seem very plausable. E.M.P.s have rather negligent effects on biological systems.

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/z3lkd/if_you_were_hit_by_an_emp_pulse_would_you_notice/

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-23-2014 3:27 PM

Shhhh......... B.M.H........... movie logic

Mecha Rodan

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-23-2014 3:47 PM

Actualy the EMP could have been used for many things. Stopping King Ghidorah's Electirc/ Gravity beams, stopping other monsters that use electricity to live and move, and to stop humans from killing them after they used time travel. :) Also I am making my own biological threory about the MUTOs tomarrow. What is it? Only I know. Muhahaha.

Linkzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-23-2014 6:27 PM

There is only one possible explanation for the Mutos evolving an EMP ability...

Seriously, though, the "EMP-disables-Atomic-Breath" theory is not canon to the film (at least, not yet), and it's just ridiculous to say it would have an effect on monsters from other series like King Ghidorah.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-24-2014 6:00 AM

It may not have been explicitly stated in the film, but it was said in the official novelization, which outlines and expands on the film. Any discrepancies , however, are regarded as film canon over the novel, rather than novel canon over the film, in contrast to Pacific Rim's case, which followed the latter. So, it is canon unless stated otherwise, since it's an official novelization of the film's events.

Linkzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-24-2014 5:27 PM

Film novelizations, as I have said before, are adaptations, not supplementary materials for the film they're based on. They are different versions of the film's story (like how, say, Tangled is a different version of the Rapunzel fairy tale's story), and, as such, details in the book that were not ever mentioned or hinted at in the film are not canon to the film unless the filmmakers say so. If they intended for the EMPs to interfere with the Atomic Breath like the book says, why didn't they add even the slightest hint of this at any point in the film? The electric sac is either something the novel's author made up to add more suspense to the fight scenes or a detail from an early version of the script (which, by the way, would also be non-canon to the final film).

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-24-2014 5:34 PM

The EMP was just a convenient way to not have to shoot multiple fights between the miliary and the MUTOs. Basically everytime the MUTO activated the EMP is was saving the movie money.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-24-2014 5:35 PM

And you'll just accept that when that also isn't confirmed, Durp004? Not even a hint of actual usage?

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-24-2014 5:39 PM

Not sure what you're asking. Pretty sure it was a simple way to avoid having to not shoot the MUTOs in constant combat with the military. Give them one simple power and wah lah you just saved your FX department some work.

If you're asking if I think the electrical sack theory is true, I've been saying forever I didn't count it as cannon for basically everything Linkzilla just said.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-24-2014 6:10 PM

Well, then that's pretty bad storytelling to give an ability that has no logical bearing. Honestly, why chock it up as a mere convenience, when we can speculate the greater possibilities, including what has actual bearing. Besides...... it may be an adaptation, but the novelization has been indispensible in providing solid facts about aspects not explored in the movie. If we don't even consider it, I don't think that's very good speculation on our part.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-24-2014 7:10 PM

Like it's been said. It could be chocked up to one sentence giving ANY indication that the EMP effected Godzilla then I'd agree, but since the movie, which is the main outlet of information to the general audience didn't address these things, which are extremely important, means I won't recognize them. If in the next movie they say something that signifies the EMP effected him you can come back on this thread and remind me how wrong I was, until then you, and anyone that believes the sack, theory to be cannon has no more ground to stand on then the people that don't. 

Linkzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-24-2014 9:02 PM

I'd like to add that there are plausible explanations for the Mutos' EMP abilities other than the EMPs themselves having an effect on Godzilla: they could be a side effect of something else that actually does have a practical use for them. I remember someone on another forum pointing out that the first time the Male uses his EMP is when he emerges from his cocoon immediately after being fried by electricity, and the second is when fighter jets approach him in the forest near Honolulu, and he seems to be roaring a challenge at the jets as he does it; note how he would have no possible way of knowing an EMP would take down the jets (unless my Ancient Aliens theory is correct!). You may have noticed that a powerful-looking shockwave is produced every time the Male uses his EMP, and, in both of those first two situations, the Muto probably felt quite threatened by the humans. It is only after this that he appeared to intentionally use the EMP to take down military aircraft.

My theory is that the actual point of that ability is to intimidate smaller monsters (some T. rex-size and smaller ones are seen in a museum or something in Godzilla: Awakening) that are threatening it, and perhaps add some extra punch to its attacks against larger monsters, with the shockwaves, and that the EMPs are a mere fortunate (for the SFX department) side effect. The Female's shockwave-producing organs are probably much more powerful, causing constant electromagnetic disturbances just with their stored up energy even when not in use.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusSep-25-2014 4:45 AM

Well, you guys think that, and I'll go with what's been covered in the Legendary Universe so far, including the books, because they're a part of the universe, and unless absolutely confirmed later down the line, I'll take that as at the very least plausible evidence and then go from there. It's not like EMPs don't affect living beings at all :P

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Gigan
87% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
74% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums