Godzilla Movie

Musical Score for the Sequel

1524 Views13 Replies
Forum Topic

dalek8

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 8:23 AM

Do you think Alexandre Desplat should return to do the score for Godzilla 2? If not, who should? I personally would like him to return.

13 Replies

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganOct-26-2014 8:26 AM

I hope he returns. His work on the new film was amazing.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonOct-26-2014 8:33 AM

I'd rather have Akira Ifukube d it!

No, wait...

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonOct-26-2014 8:36 AM

In all seriousness, Desplat's score was pretty great, and with a few improvements here and there, I have complete confidence he could create and even better score for the sequel(s)!

But please, for the love of God, PUT SOME IFUKUBE CUES IN THERE!!!!!!!!

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 9:27 AM

i agree with danzilla. he can come back but there needs to some versions of the original ifukube score

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-26-2014 10:34 AM

From the standpoint of musical sound, I appreciate Desplat's score for how different it is compared to most blockbusters today. It stands a part from the electronic, Zimmer-esque scores that have saturated blockbuster filmmaking. Godzilla has a fairly old school, orchestral sound.

However, in the gulf of soundtrack scores, Desplat's work is some of the weakest in both the Godzilla series and blockbuster movies in general. I've come to appreciate it, but I can still count 5-10 movies scores I enjoyed more than Desplat's Godzilla from this year alone. Even if the score sounded unique, Desplat doesn't do a lot with it and it's very inconsistant. Godzilla's main theme typically underscores the MUTO and various other themes are randomly placed without any cohession to specific characters or situations. Plus the motifs, while fun, just aren't that strong or memorable.

So while I applaud Desplat for seperating his score from the sound of Hans Zimmer [and his clones] for the sake of diversity, I admit that I hypocritically love those works as well. The fact is, for all their lack of standout sounds, Harry Gregson-Williams, Steve Jablonsky, Trevor Rabin and, of course, Ramin Djawadi have all composed more compelling blockbuster scores.

If Desplat were to be replaced, I'd be fine with that. I think Michael Giacchino would be an excellent contender due to his work on Cloverfield's very Ifukube-esque ending theme. (A piece that is some of Giacchino's very best work.)

Of course my dream composer would be Brian Tyler. I would run through a field of thorn bushes nude and agree to being dragged by a truck over broken glass with my mouth over the exhaust pipe if it meant he would compose Godzilla 2.  

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 1:16 PM

Regardless of who composes for the sequel, I would really like to see some of Ifukube's themes incorporated into the score. What better way to honor the inclusion of three of Godzilla's most classic co-stars than to include updated versions of Ifukube's cues from films like Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster?

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

godzilla200010

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 5:33 PM

He did good but they should have Michiru Oshima do the score . She did great on the millennium series.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-26-2014 5:43 PM

^As much as I enjoy Oshima I doubt we'll ever hear her themes again. I also doubt Legendary would chose a composer outside Hollywood's radar. Besides I'm more interested in composers that have yet to tackle the series.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 5:53 PM

If any composers from previous films return to score more films, I see Koh Otani being the most likely candidate. He's the closest the kaiju genre has come to having a composer as recognizable and iconic as Akira Ifukube, yet he has his own unique style that is completely distinct from Ifukube's. However if he does get another crack at the Godzilla series, I don't see it being until after Legendary's trilogy is over and Toho resumes making films.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

FordBrodyLover99

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-26-2014 10:17 PM

I`d keep Desplat, mostly because i want the music too stay simmiliar too the first film. But if i where forced too choose someone else;

Michael Giachino who, like someone above mentioned, made the Cloverfield theme which was very Ikufube-ish. Or maybe John Williams.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-27-2014 9:34 AM

Like ZillaHater, I like it best when there's some musical consistancy between movies, but in some cases I don't think consitancy is worth enduring subpar work. For example, Thor's theme was very unmemorable and quite bland in the first movie. When Thor: The Dark World came out, Brian Tyler (whom, again, I would do awful things to have compose Godzilla 2) was asked to score the film (late in the game) and he came up with a far more enjoyable, exciting and appropriate theme for the character. If it means the characters and movie get a boost in quality from the music I'm all for composer changes.

And John Williams rarely comes out of retirement to score movies unless it's a Spielberg film or some other very special project. Fans can forget about him.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonOct-27-2014 2:07 PM

I have to agree with zillahater, gman2887 on this. Desplate's score was decent but nothing memorizing like Ifukube's.

I hope he does return along with jim rygiel.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Daikaiju Danielle

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-30-2014 5:45 PM

I think I'm a little late to this topic, but who cares!

Desplat's score was very Ifukube-esque, but with no memorability. It doesn't stand out very much, and to be honest, it's too loud on the left ear. I feel his score was very background-musicy. I mean, there are some themes in there, but none for Muto and no solid one for Godzilla.

I was kind of dissapointed with the soundtrack, except for a couple of tracks.

"Daddy's home- cake every night,"

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums