Godzilla Movie

Would Godzilla 2014 have worked better if it has JUST Godzilla?

1789 Views10 Replies
Forum Topic

Zilla

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 5:39 AM

This is actually a discussion I read a while back over on Tohokingdom.com. A user wondered if Godzilla 2014 would've worked better if it had Godzilla and ONLY Godzilla. It was an interesting question and I want to hear what you think. 

It could've worked. Mainly because while I did love and enjoy the movie for what it was, I do agree with some people who say Godzilla felt like kind of an afterthought in his own movie. Mainly beacuse he had to share screen-time with other monsters. I think this movie would've worked better if it had been advertised as a Godzilla VS movie. This was supposed to be a reboot of the original 1954 film and was advertised as such, and I felt like it didn't really follow through on that.

Because the 1954 film, Sure, like this movie, Godzilla didn't have much screen time in the original. But that kind of worked because even when Godzilla was not on screen in that movie, the film revolved around him and what people thought of him, trying to think of ways to kill him, the aftermath of damage he causes, that sort of thing. 

So, I ask you. Do you think Godzilla 2014 would've worked slightly better if it had JUST Godzilla and then had him fight monsters in the sequels? What do you think? Because I don't know.

10 Replies

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusNov-01-2014 7:14 AM

I still think movie-goers in general needed other monsters to star as well as Godzilla, but I think the handling of that could've been better. Like, perhaps it isn't as clear that Godzilla's goal is these monsters, and that their appearance is a bit more secretive in comparison to what they ultimately had in the final product.

For example, Godzilla's appearance could've had bigger impact, and the same "show but not too much at one time" approach used with Godzilla more often but with less Godzilla in each individual sequence so that the sprinkling of his screen presence feels more natural. I guess what I'm saying is that it sorta needs to be a half original and half VS film instead of more of a VS film.

I think the Godzilla threat should've been utilized a bit more, but maintain the general mannerisms of the Godzilla we did get. Make it so that Godzilla seemed like the biggest threat, possibly because the MUTOs remained contained a bit more, but have them end up the bigger threat by the end of it. THEN the movie could've played out like the last act from the final product.

In other words:

Initial build-up + less beginning focus on MUTOs + more "apparent" Godzilla threat = Better movie direction in my opinion

Zilla

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 8:01 AM

@TheGMan123

I agree. I think it would've worked a little better had they done that. Play up Godzilla more to make him seem like the threat, but then while he's doing his thing, have the MUTOS come out so the humans say, "Forget Godzilla. This is the threat that needs to be dealt with." The 1994 Godzilla that never got made had a similar idea, except in that, he wasn't really a hero.

dalek8

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 8:46 AM

I would have liked it to be a hybrid of '85 but with the factor of a minor villain like 2000 (just a bit more subtle then a UFO, XD) I'd like the tone of the Japanese Return of Godzilla (1984) with the menacing, yet innocent Godzilla. The ideas listed above are great too. 

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 8:53 AM

i think it couldve worked if it was just godzilla. mightve been a better film for it

KManX89

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 10:23 AM

No, because that means Godzilla would've had to die in this movie, and before anyone says "oh, but another Godzilla could pop up in the sequel!" all's I can say to that is: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Plz no, I thought it was stupid the first couple times they did it in the Toho franchise and absolutely did not want it happening in this reboot. I mean, are we really supposed to believe that another Godzilla just sat by twiddling his thumbs the whole time until the first one conveniently died at the end of the 2014 movie, if that were the case? That has always been my #1 issue with having multiple Godzillas in the Toho franchise, not for one second do I believe another Godzilla, if there were multiple Godzillas, would just sit in the dark and not cause any mayhem or even appear until the first one that appeared incidentally died, that would be way too "big" of a freaking coincidence (no pun intended). 

Could the "Vs" thing have been done better in G14? Yes, with a better, more competent (not to mention experienced) writer, it definitely could've made for a better movie than what we got, but I'm glad it ended up being a "Vs" movie in the end because, the way I see it, this ending was owed to us after the travesty that was GINO 98, having "him" get killed by a few missiles, call it entitlement if you wish. Fact is, I'd rather have a "lesser" Vs. movie with Godzilla heading into the sunset victorious as atonement for the blasphemous ending to G98 than a "well-done" singles movie where he dies and have to go through the "second Godzilla" schtick again in the sequel, truth be told, not to mention there already was another Godzilla before it as illustrated with the cavern bones (it might've been his mother/father's bones or the bones of another species related to him), which may well be used to build a Kiryu MechaGodzilla in future installments (presumably the 3rd, or 4th if they decide to make one).

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonNov-01-2014 10:23 AM

Well, it might have been better with just godzilla but because of the way they teased it.....you would have thought instantly that we all were going to get this dark and scary godzilla movie with the atmosphere of the 54 and 84 films. Yet since yoshimitsu banno was involved with the film.....we got a more kid friendly godzilla film where godzilla is the hero once again. -_-

I got nothing against godzilla being a hero, but godzilla needs to be like the force of destruction tomoyuki tanaka intended.

Now would it have worked better with just godzilla? I think gman123 pretty much said everything else that i wanted to.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 10:31 AM

well he doesnt have to die. just have to think of a creative way to have an open ending without having a second godzilla just pop up. think like godzilla 84. he fell into a volcano but survived and they didnt need a second godzilla

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonNov-01-2014 10:34 AM

^They could also go with him not dying by having him walk off into the sunset, leaving mankind to wonder how on earth they would kill him.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-01-2014 11:30 AM

^even better

Durp004

MemberBaragonNov-01-2014 1:07 PM

It's hard to say since the plot and tone would have had to change a lot to encompass a solo Godzilla to the point we really can't make the guess. Just in my opinion the Godzilla the trailers and advertising portrayed would have worked better in a solo movie, however the Godzilla we got was definitely made to be in a "VS" movie and could in no way carry being a solo act.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
GojiFan99
GojiFan99 » Mothra Larvae
85% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums