Godzilla Movie

My view on Godzilla in general.

1020 Views8 Replies
Forum Topic

FordBrodyLover99

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-15-2014 3:12 PM

So yeah, this was originally intended as a reply for the thread Which another American Studio should make Godzilla films in the future?. But i found that the more i thought about it, the more i had to say, and it started too stray pretty far from the actual question. With that said;

I feel like Godzilla 2014 kinda ruined my huge love for Godzilla, or perhaps the illusion of such a love. How? Well, the answer might suprise you. Going back to the other thread, where would i want Godzilla too go from here?

The thing is, i really dont care. I just dont. After seeing Godzilla 2014 and really thinking about it i found myself loving the movie even more, but i also felt a bit detached from the rest of the franchise(Except maybe from the 1954 movie). I kinda still enjoy them but more like i would enjoy, say, a fan made film.

I used to watch a few Godzilla movies when i was a kid, i loved it. But where i come from we cant just find Godzilla movies in the stores(Or couldnt, this was back in the early 80s), and eventually, said films dissapeared, and i lost all interest. But years later, thanks to the internet and the news of a new american Godzilla movie, around 2009, i once again got interested. I found the absurd number of movies, i went on the Godzilla wiki and read about so many monsters and characters i never knew.

I got wrapped up in the fandom a good year or two laters, joining the IMDb board for G2014 and later found this place, and i felt that i had finally found a great hobby. I collected films and other fun stuff, and i loved it all.

Back then, all these other Godzilla fans and i was just chatting on about how we couldnt wait, we got wrapped up in that MTV movie poll(A pretty fun and exciting event that, while maybe a bit useless, had us work togheter for a collected goal) and we over analysed all the set photos.

And now, we`re here. Things has defintly changed. The atmosphere of threads anywhere has changed. I think most people who where around 2013-early 2014 can feel the difference. There isnt as much "WOOOO, THIS IS SO AWESOME. CANT WAIT", and instead more "Yeah, that looks fine" or even "Who cares anymore?".

Thats not your fault, but its not the movies fault either. A lot people just didnt feel compatible with the movie. I was lucky, i guess. And thats where we come back too the original statement. I feel so detached from the rest of the franchise. So i have a request. Not so much too you, or even the people behind the 2018 sequel, but too fate/God/dumb luck;

At least give me one more of those wonderfull Gareth Edwards Godzilla film i have come too enjoy. At least let me see Mothra and Ghidorah done by Gareth, the way he wants it, and let me be done. Give Godzilla to what ever director/studio, be it japanese or american, i most likely wont find myself into it.

With thats said, i will stick around, seeing as i still hopefully have at least more Gareth Edwards Godzilla film, and i hope that we might be able too have a good time simmiliar too the one we once had.

Okay, im done. Sorry if you feel like i have wasted your time, but i really hope some of you found this interesting. And im sorry for being such a downer. But trust me; I dont like having too accept that i may not even love this series so much as i thought i did. Think about how you would feel if you all of a sudden lost your love to a hobby you found youself so engaged in.

8 Replies

GG

ModeratorGiganNov-15-2014 3:20 PM

Hmm...Not sure what to say about this.

I mean your point is great, i loved Godzilla 2014 everything about it (Except Aaron taylor johnson and Elizabeth) But the thing about G14 is it is a Godzilla film. You are probably being strayed away due to it being the first fully cgi american G but Godzilla is a Godzilla film nothing more nothing less besides better CGI and a much more Badass Godzilla.

Now saying its a G film isnt bad at all, its actually great. The Abomination of 1998 was not a G film, and thats what made it bad.

The reason you, me, and the rest of the fandom love G 14 is because it is a Godzilla film. 2014 couldnt be made if it wasnt for the greatness of Godzilla and the other Arsenal's.

But G 14 is a standout from the rest.

Good grief.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaNov-15-2014 4:36 PM

Hm, it's interesting because I can't relate to any of this. I see the new film as just another Godzilla movie and a middle-of-the-road one at that. If anything it's only made me appreciate other movies in the franchise more, yet grateful we have the new one.

Sounds to me that you're just in a lull. There are times I'm just not into Godzilla and get into other things. It's not a big deal. It comes back. But to claim you're going to write off a possible third Gareth Edwards film and/or even a Godzilla movie beyond that when we have no possible inkling of what that kind of future may hold is a little self-fullfilling if I may say so. You just don't know if the spark will come back that far down the line and, quite frankly, it's not something you should slapping a 'definite' on at this point. I mean, we're probably talking 10-20 years down the line.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

FordBrodyLover99

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-15-2014 7:43 PM

GorillaGodzilla@ I can kinda see what you are getting at. And maybe you are right. But this movie, somehow, found a way too just perfectly play too me. Its almost kinda scary. Maybe the older Godzilla films, atleast for me, will be something that i revisit after long periods and let nostalgia blind other factors.

GMAN2887@ Its always kinda hard too relate to another persons opinion when said opinion differs a lot from your own. Cant blame you at all. With that said; You`re bringing a lot of good points about the older movies, like GorillaGodzilla did. But i just cant see myself getting hyped for a Godzilla that wont be done in my way. And yeah, i just noticed im coming off as incredibly spoiled. And unfortunately i fear that Godzilla 2 is gonna flat out bomb, or alteast not do very well, which could kill the dream of a Gareth Edwards Godzilla trilogy.

All in all, if i atleast just get one(Two would of course be nice, but im not all that sure) more Gareth Godzilla film i can rest safely. And yes, my view on the future of Godzilla is pretty dark and almost a bit over dramatic, but i would love too be wrong.

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-15-2014 9:34 PM

i dont know about bomb. the movie brought in a lot of new fans and somewhat revitalized the old ones even with some of its flaws godzilla is still alive and kicking

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaNov-15-2014 9:44 PM

^Also consider China is projected to make Hollywood blockbusters 80% more than it does today by 2018. The country will literally make more blockbusters bomb-proof.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Durp004

MemberBaragonNov-15-2014 10:15 PM

The reason this forum isn't as buzzing and happy as early 2014 is because the vast majority of people that used this forum then were under the assumption not only would G14 be the best Godzilla movie ever it would be the best by a large margin. I remember multiple threads asking favorite Godzilla movies and characters prior to the movies release with a large amount of replies saying G14 would be their favorite or characters they'd seen only in trailers would be the best ones in the series. 

Of course when the movie came out a lot of these ideas were silence with a lot of people left wanting more and these threads were silenced. There's not as much to talk about whne you know the story, it's much more fun romanticizing what they'd want or think would make the movie better and there's no question I would have liked a lot of the ideas I saw posted more than the ones that the movie had. Now until more is known about the sequel there's not much to speculate. The options haven't been narrowed down enough that any idea posted would be taken seriously.

Besides that I can't really relate, but if you don't want to associate with the series after the sequel or find the rest of the movies boring that's your opinion. There's nothing really that can be done I'm sure we've all gone through phases where we weren't as into godzilla.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaNov-15-2014 10:27 PM

^110% this.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusNov-15-2014 11:01 PM

Besides..... we're still here C:

And the forums aren't really dead, just now in a different stroke of light. Debates about old movies are on the rise again, fan-made stuff is becoming more frequently featured, and general goodies and stuff :D

BTW If I were you, I'd check out some of the stuff G-fans have been making recently (HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE)

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
GojiFan99
GojiFan99 » Mothra Larvae
85% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums