Godzilla Movie

How Godzilla 2 could succeed.

1599 Views9 Replies
Forum Topic

MilqueChocolate

MemberBaragonNov-19-2014 7:45 PM

Hello people of the forums! Today I will discuss what key points Godzilla 2 needs to succeed and why.

1. Appearance and Screen Time: Godzilla(2014) did a good job building up to Godzilla's appearance. However, everyone complained about how he wasn't on screen long enough, here is a solution. For Godzilla 2, leave Godzilla's appearance until hour into the movie, why you may ask? Because, take Godzilla: Final Wars as an example, Godzilla did not show up until and hour into the movie and they did a SUPERB job keeping us occupied 'till his big appearance, but they showed A LOT of Godzilla screen time. If they can do the same thing with Godzilla 2, it has a chance of not boring the crap out of us. But in order for this to work, they have to show us some monster destruction and some human story to occupy us. Show us Rodan awakening first, show us the destruction he's causing. Dont just show us some main character and his wife and kid the audience doesn't care about. Show us human misery.

2. Less Exaggeration of Human Story: In Godzilla(2014), Gareth OVER EXAGGERATED the human's side of the story. In fact, it showed way to much. Practically the entire movie was a human story. When Godzilla did appear, it cut right back to humans! The movie is called GODZILLA not the Adventures of this main character. In Godzillla 2, if your gonna show us Godzilla, GIVE US GODZILLA. No cutting away, just monster action.

3. Not to much Antagonist screentime: The MUTO's were an awesome addition to the 2014 movie, and they looked cool too, but this is not what we wanted. We wanted to see Godzilla kick the MUTO's ass, not cut way from godzilla and showing us MUTO. The way the script was written, all you have to do was get rid of Godzilla and the movie would have been a cooler monster movie. Just because you have giant monsters in a movie does not mean you need Godzilla in your movie to fight them. What the movie did was make itself look cooler just because a badass japanese monster kicked the MUTO's butt. The MUTO's screentime should have been switched with Godzilla. For this to work with Godzilla 2, even out the screentime for both Godzilla and the antagonist monsters. A satisfied audience is a happy audience, an unhappy audience is a mob of humans yelling "GIVE MY MONEY BACK".

4. Longer or More Fights: Godzilla(2014)'s fights were badass, but they werent long enough. When Godzilla and the MUTO were face to face, they cut way to show us a 10 second fight on a TV. Really, Gareth? It was funny, but not what we wanted. We wanted to see that fight unfold for at least 5-6 minutes. In the book, he used his atomic breath for the first time in that scene and the description was awesome. In Godzilla 2, we need longer fights, especially since we got 3 badass monsters from the past clashing with our Radioactive All-Star. If there arent long enough fights, there will be anger.

5. More Brutality: In the Original Godzilla, we saw people getting crushed and killed. In Godzilla (2014) the only monster that caused that amount of brutality (briefly) was the MUTO's first appearance. I want to see people getting stomped on, monsters destroying buildings with people still inside. That will make Godzilla 2 a darker and gruesome feel, making the audience fear these monsters because their actions show no humanity. Godzilla 2 will draw a lot more attention with that kind of depiction.

That's all for my Rant/Review/ key points discussion. These were my personal thoughts on the movie. Don't get me wrong I love the 2014 movie, I rewatch it every day, but I just wanted more. Tell me below if you agree or disagree with the statements made. Please don't post hateful comments, like "you suck" or "your not a true Godzilla fan", because if I wasn't a true Godzilla fan, I wouldn't have used my time making this discussion. I know some good people here, please dont kill that vibe. Thank you for reading. Comment away!

9 Replies

Something Real

MemberGodzillaNov-20-2014 3:22 AM

SHAZOTHEHEDGEHOG - You make very neat and valid points here! I liked the detail into which you delved to explain your standpoints on the key elements you felt could bring success to the upcoming film! Thank you very much for sharing your persepctives with us! :)

Mech Rodan

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-20-2014 6:10 AM

I agree with all of these points. Actually on the more brutallity, did you not see all of those poor people being killed in the stunami!? That probably killed more eople than the MUTOs killed by themselves. Well except for the female. She probably killed a lot of people on her rampage. 0_0

MilqueChocolate

MemberBaragonNov-20-2014 6:36 AM

@Something Real, No problem! :)

@Mech Rodann That was one point I missed, i forgot to add that to number 5. lol, I will probably add it later. 

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-20-2014 9:52 AM

I don't agree with many things here, i never really like when godzilla gets to much screen time, and i like when movies focus on the antagonist and have a deep human story, but id like for them to focus on somene else than a member of the military, maybe someone like a doctor or nurse should be the main focus, that whay you get character development but also get to look at the destruccion and sufering

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

NateZilla10000

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-20-2014 3:11 PM

I think it would be awesome if they build up Godzilla's appearance again, but not to such a degree as the first movie. In fact, the best way to go would probably be to switch the screentime roles: Give Godzilla the small build-up (like the MUTOs in the first) and give the antagonist(s) the massive build up. We know what Godzilla looks like now and acknowledge that he is back in action, so we don't need that much of a lead in for the next film. However, Rodan/Mothra/King Ghidorah are different stories. We have no idea what they're going to look like, how they're going to act, etc. They dieserve the big build up this time around.

Also, on a personal reflection, the ending of this movie (in my opinion) should end on Godzilla taking notice of humans for the first time and promptly deciding that they are a threat to his territory.

Say, he just defeated the opposing kaiju, and is getting ready to leave, wandering off into the ocean. However, some war-happy general under orders of higher powers is looking to destroy Godzilla with powerful weapons. They fire, with much protest from other people, and batter Godzilla. Godzilla is agitated (like he was at the Golden Gate bridge) and tries to turn around, but is cut-off by more weapons firing from miles away on the shore. Hit after hit, explosion after explosion, Godzilla finally takes notice of the origin of all the artillery: All the tanks, battleships, and jets surrounding him (granted they are carrying the bigger weapons). His pupils shrink, but after a direct hit from an ultra-powerful shot (perhaps a heavy-duty railgun), a light obscures the battle in the ocean. It eventually clears, but Godzilla is gone.

Suddenly, the ocean shore receeds again, signaling what's coming. Godzilla rises out of the ocean, and the ending rampage begins. He devatstates the military, completely obliterating them with Atomic Fire. He continues onto the city, lighting it all in a sea of flames (much like the original 1954). He knocks over buildings, crushes homes, and ignites streets. All the main characters can do is look onto the chaos in terrified awe. End on a silhouette shot of Godzilla bathing in the flames of the city, staring ominously at the camera.

Credits!

MilqueChocolate

MemberBaragonNov-20-2014 3:31 PM

@JRR The 2014 already tried that briefly and it didnt work, almost every single Godzilla movie's main character is either in the government or the military. As cliche as it is, its the only cliche people wouldnt get bored of. I like movies where the main character fights in some way to protect those he/she loves, but all Ford Brody did was try to see his family, he wasnt doing much at all.

@Matezilla10000 The fact that Godzilla doesnt care about humanity always makes me wanna be afraid of him and THATS what I love about the 2014 film and the 1954 original. Also, good ideas you gave out too :)

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganNov-20-2014 5:22 PM

Agreed!

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

GG

ModeratorGiganNov-21-2014 8:21 AM

Natezilla- Good point, but this Godzilla is said to be a NON HUMAN CARING Force of Nature. and having him not even notice us Humans i think makes his presence more fearful then when he does notice us.

Good grief.

MNJARO

MemberMothra LarvaeNov-23-2014 4:52 PM

So pretty much to sum up you want more godzilla screen time....i agree, i love the movie, wish he was in it more, gareth does not need to tease us anymore.....

I also agree with the brutality.....i think they need to keep it to a minimum though to keep it pg13 probably, all the destroyed buildings and chaos that is caused, i think it's safe to say you know alot of people died....but i do get what you mean, actually seeing it on screen is different than 'knowing' it happened without seeing it.........one thing that aggitated me a bit in the movie was after godzilla fainted and was passed out.....the cameraman on the news was showing him and the headline said 'thousands missing'........like really? missing? no.....those thousands are likely dead, and its probably millions not just thousands, unless the city got evacuated that quickly....but again, might have to do with keeping it pg13

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums