Godzilla Movie

Official Godzilla 2016 discussion thread!

10814 Views292 Replies
Forum Topic

GG

ModeratorGiganDec-10-2014 12:45 PM

Title will be changed when Official title is released

Yes! This is the official Toho Godzilla 2016 discussion thread, to stop clutter, here you will discuss everything you have to say about the Revival of the Japanese Godzilla! It can be anything from, his design, to the plot of the film.

Here is what i have to say on certain questions: "What will the plot be about?" I think it will be a solo Godzilla film, maybe even a remake of 1954 since they have never done that before.

"What will Godzilla look like?"I think he will be broad and intimidating like Heisei, yet lean and Muscular like Final wars.

So thats my questions, you discuss anything you want about the film now! Power to the King!

Good grief.

292 Replies

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganDec-10-2014 12:52 PM

(Firsties!)

I agree that the new one will liik like the Heisei/Millennium designs. I think that Godzilla will first destroy a city, and then fight an enemy, much like Godzilla '85.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonDec-10-2014 1:10 PM

Something is telling me they could be using that 2009 youtube godzilla clip. Where this guy seen the destruction and i guessed cussed godzilla, then godzilla turns around and bellows out his roar.

Speculation though all i can say is we will have to wait and see, cause like i said in some other thread, he does not have to fight a new or old monster every time he lets a fart.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaDec-10-2014 4:25 PM

Honestly, this probably needs its own forum section.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 4:31 PM

i think the same gman

Durp004

MemberBaragonDec-10-2014 4:53 PM

Instead of giving it it's own section possibly turn the G 2014 sequel forum which doesn't have much to talk about into a "Future Godzilla Movies" would be a better option.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 5:38 PM

My feeling-about the film-is that Toho will attempt something that will mark the story and the film, it's look and atmosphere, as distinctly Japanese. At least, if I was being consulted, this is what I would advise. Godzilla 2016 has to resonate with the domestic Japanese market. A well developed story, with riveting performances and imaginative direction are essential. But it must be thoroughly Japanese. The worst thing would be for Toho to try and ape Hollywood blockbuster style films. Godzilla 2016 must be visceral, shocking at times without being cheap or gimmicky. There are talented, gifted filmmakers in Japan. They just need the time and the trust from Toho to demonstrate it. 

Time is also needed to make the production values raise to the level of near believability. This means ample time for story and script development and plenty of time for post-production and the tweaking of visual/special effects. I said near believability because the look and style should be somewhat distinct from what Legendary has made.

In short, I would love to see a well made, finely crafted film that immerses us in the realm of tokusatsu.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 5:57 PM

I think new, younger talent is essntial to the success of the new Toho Godzilla film. Perhaps, this way, the movie will be something more people can relate too, as opposed to just hardcore fans. An attractive, compelling theme that is controversial should be at the heart of the story.

Actually, I would be happy with a film that somewhat resembles-like a not so distant cousin-the Heisei Gamera films. Of course, with improvements in visual and special effects that have ensued over the last 15 years.

And how about reuniting Shusuke Kaneko and Shinji Higuchi to direct the live action and special effects, respectively? The aforementioned reference to younger talent could be in the area of screenwriting and plot. Or, the cast. There are a lot of possibilities here.

This, in itself, is exciting.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 6:35 PM

I agree that it should be distinctly Japanese. It would be no fun if there were two Hollywood style Godzilla's running around. I also can't wait for the fact that there will be 2 (maybe) Godzilla series' going on at the same time.

Do you think Toho will turn it into a series, or leave it as a stand-alone film?

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 9:05 PM

I hope it's series of films, with connecting storylines.

I wouldn't necessarily want to see reoccurring characters. And please, no psychics. I would like to see actual, extant military hardware. Also, a suspenseful, twisting plot with political implications and distinct characters that you actually care about. And a lot of monster action, with the military making a good account of itself in the confrontations with Godzilla and the other kaiju.

Some internal conflict within the military would be nice. Especially if it affects the battles with Godzilla. I would rather not see him assume the role of Japan's hero monster or savior. And I certainly don't want to see him 'team up' with the JSDF. I'd like to see new kaiju, with extraordinary powers and frightening appearances. And they should display a pronounced level of intelligence and cunning. The designs should be edgy and scary.

However, care should be taken to make sure that the Godzilla design is formidible, yet not unusual. He should be 'handsome' and noble. Toho knows how he should look. And so do we. A variation of the Bio-Goji would be nice.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-10-2014 9:25 PM

I want to see the other kaiju demonstrate an identifiable deliberateness in their destruction, as if they are driven. They shouldn't be 'just animals' acting instinctively.

The people of Japan should be kept in a constant state of fear and suspense; not knowing who is the greater threat: Godzilla or the other kaiju. This ambiguity should permeate the story to the point that no one really knows how it's going to turn out. I personally like strories that keep me guessing and off balance. The human characters should be at the center of the action, involved, and not reduced to being merely spectators. As a viewer, I want to be able to travel with the film and its narrative and become obsorbed in it. There should be horror, suspense, humor and personal drama with sacrifice.

Also, I would like to have the roar from the 1954 classic, Gojira.

gfan2014

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 12:37 AM

I would say that they should reuse the Final Goji from GFW.  For me, he was the last true Japanese Godzilla so it would cool to see the king return in an iconic suit.  But still, a new suit would be cool.

Goji

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 9:11 AM

They might go with a femgoji type suit for this one.

“Give me where to stand and I will move the earth”.

wolfguy

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 9:59 AM

So long as they get away from garbage like Final Wars I'm good. Hopefully it'll be in line with some of the deeper films of the series, like Mothra vs Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante.

Daikaiju Danielle

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 11:01 AM

This film might use Tokusatsu. Since Toho won't bow to the new Legendary Godzilla, they should rival the CGI with practical effects. And it can look really good, I mean, look at the new Attack On Titan film. They're using puppets and practical effects, and it looks amazing! 

"Daddy's home- cake every night,"

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 12:11 PM

I'm watching The Sinking of Japan. 

Without addressing issues regarding the film itself (pacing, acting, plausibility, etc.), I must say, so far, at least, that I like the way this movie looks.

If Godzilla 2016 could have this kind of modern look, with wide, panoramic shots and a sense of grand scale, paired with well-crafted and meticulously produced practical effects, well, we could have something here. Again, I'll have to see the whole film with subtitles to get a better idea of how good it is, and that's subjective anyways. But visually, it gives me hope for what could be in terms of a Godzilla film, where instead of a country sinking, in the case of The Sinking of Japan, you have giant monsters (or a giant monster) personifying disaster on a national scale.

Some of the best shots in The Sinking of Japan seem to take place around sunset or sunrise. I would love to see similar scenes in the next Toho Godzilla. Maybe a shot of him in Tokyo Bay, silhouetted against the evening (or morning) sky.

I believe Makoto Kamiya was the director of special effects for this film. Makes me wonder what could be.

TSOJ does not look cartoonish or as if it's pandering to nerds in any way. It was going for broad appeal with a kind of documentary look to it.

With a great script and impassioned performances, and the visual feel and beauty of TSOJ, paired with the very best in the way of suits and miniatures, Godzilla 2016 could be a real rebirth of kaiju eiga in its homeland.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-11-2014 2:43 PM

I agree with the point Danielle made, but those images from the AoT movie, are actually from a Subaru advertisement, You can watch it here. But to add to the point, they do mix CGI and puppets to make wonderful effects.

With the improved effects of modern Tokusatsu, as well as CGI where needed, all Toho needs to do is have a great screenplay and developed characters. Then I will be set for life

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-12-2014 12:32 PM

I am really grateful that Toho is making a new Godzilla film. My reaction to this is somewhat similar to how I felt in late 1998 when it was anounced that they were going to make a new film. I'm certainly not comparing the Legendary Godzilla with the Centropolis/Tri-Star film. But, it is more of a feeling that Toho should be making Godzilla movies. 

I am convinced that employing traditional tokusatsu techniques is the way to go. One of the things I love about these films, is that they have soul. This is not something that can be summoned into existence by large, megastudio blockbuster budgets. (These budgets can begat a certain amount of hubris. On one of the Legendary Godzilla special features, one of the producers said to the effect that they wanted to bring 'the real Godzilla, not the man in the suit.' Excuse me?) Rather, it springs from the core of tradition and artistry that has been passed on, generation to genration. It can be enhanced and improved, augmented and refined. But that heart and soul is what drives these productions and gives them their distinct look, feel and beauty.

My Godzilla and Gamera movies give me a lot of satisfaction. I believe a lot of this derives from how they are made, not just the results. For this and other reasons, I am looking forward to the new Godzilla from Toho.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonDec-12-2014 2:56 PM

@Jamaal,

Everthing you have said i totally agree with!

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaDec-12-2014 4:05 PM

NerdyBandGeeks,
The Suburu ad was directed by Shinji Higuchi who is both directing and supervising the special effects for the Attack on Titan movies. So those visuals might not be far off from what the movie has-- Or better yet the movie may have stronger visuals.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-12-2014 7:26 PM

These are great times.

Looking forward to the snippets of information and rumors about the new Toho Godzilla: production crew, cast, Godzilla design, plot outline.

I'm lovin' it.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-12-2014 9:17 PM

Gman  and Danielle, I have just found out that the AoT movie will indeed be a mixture of CGI and Tokusatsu, like the ad. I apologize, but on the other-hand, that just reinforces the original point, that the two could work great together in a film.

And this is my first expirience with a new Toho Godzilla coming out, as I was born in 1998, I never experienced the excitement of waiting for the latest movie, as I also didn't discover Godzilla until about 6 years ago. As Jamaal said, it's not that Godzilla (2014) was bad, but it seems right that Toho should be making the movies, I look forward to waiting anxiously for snippets of news coming out.

Daikaiju Danielle

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-12-2014 9:20 PM

The main things I would want from this new Godzilla is Tokusatsu and a clear message regarding the dangers of Nuclear weaponry. That's one of the things Godzilla 2014 did kind of poorly on.

It'd also be pretty cool to see a stand-alone movie. After Godzilla 2014 and it's massive focus on the new Muto monsters, it'd be refreshing to see a Godzilla movie surrounding the big G himself.

"Daddy's home- cake every night,"

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaDec-12-2014 9:22 PM

I think the 2014 movie did a great job with the nuclear theme they just sorta used the wrong monster to get it across. Agreed with the Tokusatsu and a stronger emphasis on Godzilla though.

And this is my first expirience with a new Toho Godzilla coming out

Hold on tight...

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 1:58 PM

I thought that the new Godzilla focused more on trying to control nature, as Dr. Serizawa blatantly said in the film. Like how humans tried to interfer, but made very little impact (apart from Ford) on the outcome of the battle, and how the humans tried to control the MUTOs and Godzilla by leading thema round with a bomb, but nature had other plans.

I wouldn't really want to see the new movie focused on Nuclear weapons, because that's been done before, but maybe focus on other issues in society today, just like how nukes were an issue in the 50's, space exploration in the 60's (a three-headed dragon from space comes down and kills everything), and pollution and taking care of the earth in the 70's (Hedorah, along with others).

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 4:53 PM

If the new Toho Godzilla film is going to be thoroughly Japanese, then the theme of the dangers and the actualized catastrophic nature of nuclear weapons has to be at the heart of the film's narrative. Because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan has earned this. In fact, references to the atomic bombings of those cities would not only be appropriate, but chilling. I think some sort of visual is needed, even if in a nightmare sequence. In Gojira, he was the Bomb personified. This menace has not gone away with the passage of time. It's always relevant. It is with us today. The East Asia/Western Pacific Region being on the brink of disaster because of a looming nuclear conflict is at the heart of the symbol that is Godzilla._

So yes, I am in agreement with Daikaiju_Danielle regarding the importance of this theme. What better symbol for it than Godzilla, a creature mutated by the Bomb?

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 5:23 PM

I would also like to see a sequece that shows, even in silhouette, Godzilla sometime after the Operation Bravo blast in 1954. For this reason, I would like to see a design for Godzilla that is essentially an updated, modified version of the Shodai-Goji. What would be a better way to demonstrate the 'Toho-ness' of Godzilla than by using a design that looks strikingly like the original from the film that started it all? This would recenter the mythos of Godzilla around nuclear weapons as the cause of his mutation and becoming a monster.

Then, the attacks on the shipping lines could follow. Some of these I would like to see in the new film, fully updated SPFX-wise and horrifyingly portrayed. This part of the film should be shocking with a POV that is not that of a camerman who just happens to be capturing a shot. 

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 5:27 PM

I would also like to see a sequence that shows, even in silhouette, Godzilla sometime after the Operation Bravo blast in 1954. For this reason, I would like to see a design for Godzilla that is essentially an updated, modified version of the Shodai-Goji. What would be a better way to demonstrate the 'Toho-ness' of Godzilla than by using a design that looks strikingly like the original from the film that started it all? This would recenter the mythos of Godzilla around nuclear weapons as the cause of his mutation and becoming a monster.

I would also like to see a sequence that shows, even in silhouette, Godzilla sometime after the Operation Bravo blast in 1954. For this reason, I would like to see a design for Godzilla that is essentially an updated, modified version of the Shodai-Goji. What would be a better way to demonstrate the 'Toho-ness' of Godzilla than by using a design that looks strikingly like the original from the film that started it all? This would recenter the mythos of Godzilla around nuclear weapons as the cause of his mutation and becoming a monster.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 5:30 PM

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 5:35 PM

The idea that the nuclear bomb testing in the Pacific in the 1950's was actually an attempt to kill G Then, the attacks on the shipping lines could follow. Some of these I would like to see in the new film, fully updated SPFX-wise and horrifyingly portrayed. This part of the film should be shocking with a POV that is not that of a cameraman who just happens to be capturing a shot. 

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-13-2014 5:40 PM

The idea that the nuclear bomb testing in the Pacific in the 1950's was actually an attempt to kill G Then, the attacks on the shipping lines could follow. Some of these I would like to see in the new film, fully updated SPFX-wise and horrifyingly portrayed. This part of the film should be shocking with a POV that is not that of a cameraman who just happens to be capturing a shot. 

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums