Godzilla Movie

Will Award Winning Takashi Yamazaki Direct Godzilla 2016?

1338 Views5 Replies
Forum Topic

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaDec-11-2014 6:41 PM

Briefly, August Ragone, who reported on Toho's decision to go forth with a new Godzilla film, recently spoke on Kaijucast. I recommend listening in, but there he predicts that director Takashi Yamazaki might get the job for the upcoming Godzilla film. Two of the finer points is that his schedule would allow it and that his shooting philosophy might (theoretically) give Godzilla 10 months of post-production/visual effects work.

The first film I ever saw of Yamazaki's was the insane actioner, Returner. It was released in North America by Sony not long before Godzilla: Final Wars was released in Japanese theaters. The film was well-recieved for taking the best parts of American action-sci-fi films and mashing them together. It won a Japanese Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

Yamazaki is best known for his Always Trilogy. Godzilla fans are familiar with his work on Always: Sunny on Third Street 2, where a giant CG Godzilla is in a scene at the film's opening.

He's done some work in the tokusatsu(ish) genre with a live action adaptation of Space Battleship Yamato. His latest film is Parasyte Part 2 will be released next year. It's a CG heavy sci-fi/horror/black comedy.

Having seen Returner and Always: Sunny on Third Street, and just going off the rest of his resume, I'm going to be blunt: Yamakazi is a director that the Godzilla series hasn't seen the likes of since 1975. He's got a far more versatile and seasoned eye than Tezuka, Okawara, Omori and Edwards. And he's arguably more accomplished than Shusuke Kaneko and Ryuhei Kitamura-- The man won a Japanese Academy Award for Best Director and Best Screenwriter in 2006.

It's not official by any means, but it's enough to speculate on. How would you feel about Yamazaki directing the next Godzilla movie?

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."
5 Replies

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonDec-11-2014 7:57 PM

I heard the episode yesterday, and that was the first time I had heard of Yamazaki.  But after hearing his resume, I have to say, I think he's the guy!  Not only does it make logistical sense, but it would be a serious bonus if this film were directed an Academy Award winning director.  Just think about a Godzilla film being directed BY AN ACADEMY AWARD WINNING DIRECTOR!!!!  Plus, he's a fan who has directed a Godzilla sequence before!  Toho seems to trust this guy, and he could bolster the Godzilla franchise just as much as directing a Godzilla film will bolster his.

I'm with Ragone on this one... I trust that guy a lot. :)

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaDec-11-2014 9:03 PM

Plus... He's new talent. He hasn't touched the actual Godzilla series. A new producer is already on board, Yamazaki seems to make sense and fit with the idea that Toho wants to create a new, fresh and strong Japanese Godzilla film.

The one thing that worries me is that Yamazaki primarily seems to use CG over traditional toku effects in his movie. It's a stylistic type of CG, but even still I think it subtely misses the mark. I may pick up Space Battleship Yamato to see if there's more traditional stuff in there. I'm open to a lot more CG being mixed with the traditional effects. But a complete elmination of toku techniques doesn't sit well with me, personally. And I still think suitmation would be a great way to set it apart from Legendary's series. Nothing is confirmed however. We'll see...

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonDec-12-2014 2:44 PM

I would be amazed if this guy got that position for the upcoming godzilla film!

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMar-19-2015 5:06 PM

I'm late on this, but this guy just won another Japanese Academy Award for Best Director. His movie won 7 other awards including Best Picture:

‘The Eternal Zero’ Takes Eight Japan Academy Awards

More and more I'm rooting for him.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-21-2015 12:05 AM

Based on what been posted here so far, I would love see Takashi Yamazaki helm the Toho 2016 Godzilla film. He's accomplished, he's fresh and a new face to the Series.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums