Godzilla Movie

some names of kaiju that people often mess up on

4741 Views14 Replies
Forum Topic

godzilla200010

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 10:45 AM

1.People sya godzilla 85 instead of godzilla 84 when the actual movie came out

2.Mechagodzilla 2  is actually callled supermechagodzilla acording to thejapenese title of the film .
The real M.G 2 is really th seond one from the shoa era.

3. Godzilla 2000 is actaully named Godzilla 1999 or godzilla Millennium.

4. Destroyah is actually pernounced Destroyer but they liscened it as destroyah so they could have the rights to his name.

(names given to me)

(these next four where given from Duratok. Thanks for the help)

1.'Anguirus' and 'Angillas'

2.'Rodan' and 'Radon'

3.'Ghidorah' and 'Ghidrah'

4.'Minya' and 'Minilla'

If there is any other names people mess up alot tell me below.

14 Replies

Duratok

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 10:50 AM

I've seen 'Anguirus' and 'Angillas', 'Rodan' and 'Radon', 'Ghidorah' and 'Ghidrah', 'Minya' and 'Minilla'.

godzilla200010

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 10:56 AM

Thanks duratok I'll add those in.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonDec-19-2014 1:08 PM

Uhh.....Not to be rude but what is the meaning of this?

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonDec-19-2014 1:09 PM

Are you saying that everyone here is getting the name's wrong? Some of us happen to know what others mean when they speak of these kaiju.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 1:21 PM

they arent just pronounced wrong there japanese names for them

Varan04276

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 2:14 PM

All the "incorrect names" here are just different versions of the same thing.

I? I am a monument to all of your sins.

Duratok

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 2:35 PM

I wouldn't say that the names I listed are wrong, I've just seen both used.

Some are more common or more accepted by our community than the others, but as far as I know one isn't more canon than the other. That said, It's been a long, long time since I've seen King Ghidorah refered to as just 'Ghidrah'.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 2:37 PM

It reminds me of when people say "It's Gojira, not Godzilla" and how, they are the exact same thing, and no one makes a fuss over "Mothra" really being called "Mosura" if you only wish to refer to Kaiju by their Japanese names.

We say Godzilla '85 because that's the name of the American release, when it was released in 1985.

And for Godzilla 2000, that's the name of the American release, once again, and even though it was released in 1999, wasn't it called "Godzilla 2000: Millenium" or something like that?

Durp004

MemberBaragonDec-19-2014 2:46 PM

I don't know how correct this is. the Japanese title for Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 is ???VS????? which translates to Gojira vs Mekagojira. I don't see any "super" referenced in any title translation. A lot of these misconceptions are just American releases. The names are all English versions of the name, the titles are often when the US version of the movie came out. I wouldn't really count these as confusions moreso just preferences whether you choose to go with the Japanese version or the english names.

Durp004

MemberBaragonDec-19-2014 2:48 PM

Hm I guess I couldn't copy and paste japanese letters for some reason on the text bar. I'll try again to see if it works. "???VS????"

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganDec-19-2014 2:52 PM

It annoys the heck out of me when my friend says "No, it's Gojira" whenever I say "Godzilla" near him.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 4:33 PM

All three versions of Mechagodzilla are trademarked as just "Mechagodzilla" and are legally all the same character. Mechagodzilla 2 can refer to the second Showa Mechagodzilla or the Heisei Mechagodzilla. Super-Mechagodzilla is just a form of the Heisei Mechagodzilla. I prefer calling the Heisei Mechagodzilla Mechagodzilla 2 because that's what he was called in the games.

"Destoroyah" is the correct spelling of the monster's name. It's just a transliteration of "Desutoroia," the Japanese pronunciation of "Destroyer." It was done so that Toho could copyright the name in English markets, but he was still called Destroyer in the dub. But ever since the Atari games came out, most people just pronounce the name as Destoroyah.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

NateZilla10000

MemberMothra LarvaeDec-19-2014 9:06 PM

I always thought Destoroyah was a cooler name anyway. "Destroyer" is too ordinary.

Anyway, there is some truth to the popular names, nonetheless. For instance, though Godzilla 1984 came out in Japan in the designated year, it's American release was in 1985. As most of us are American (or are too lazy to search for the Japanese copy), 1985 is drilled into our heads when watching the movie. Same can be said for Godzilla 1999/2000; it's just another year it was released.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaDec-20-2014 5:19 AM

GODZILLA20010 - This is a very neat collection of informtaion! It is interesting to see the differences! Thank you very much for taking the time to share this with us! :)

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums