Godzilla Movie

Should King Ghidorah have more than 3 heads for the Godzilla sequel?

6765 Views28 Replies
Forum Topic

Godzillatheking123

MemberBaragonMar-04-2015 12:23 AM

Just curious, but King Ghidorah have always had 3 heads, but what would be the reaction if he had more than 3 heads in the Godzilla (2014) sequel? I mean, the inspiration of King Ghidorah was partly based on the hydra from Greek mythology, which certainly had more than 3 heads. If I'm not mistaken, the original decision to reduce to 3 heads was due to 1960's technical limitation, so in theory, based on modern technology now there should not be any technical reason why King Ghidorah cannot have more than 3 heads. After all, orochi, the Japanese dragon that appeared in another Toho flick in 1994, had 8 heads!

The question is, should King Ghidorah have more than 3 heads for the Godzilla sequel?

28 Replies

KingKaijuGojira

MemberTitanosaurusMar-04-2015 6:11 AM

NO! If it has more than 3 heads, it's not King Ghidorah, it's something else. Orochi and King Ghidorah are two different monsters. Technological advances or not, King Ghidorah has always had 3 heads, it's how he is recognized by both the fans and the non-fans. Giving him more heads would create a new monsters. So no, King Ghidorah should not have more than 3 heads in the sequel.

\"SKREEONGK!\" -Godzilla

KingKaijuGojira

MemberTitanosaurusMar-04-2015 6:14 AM

Yes King Ghidorah was based off the 8 headed hydra of Greek legend, but that doesn't mean he needs 8 heads. 3 is plenty.

\"SKREEONGK!\" -Godzilla

dopepope

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 9:15 AM

NO!!!

Dopepope:experimental aesthetics

zBrush commissions available upon request. email me here:

dope@dopepope.com

The gigan

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 11:36 AM

Nope! I AM THE GIGAN!

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganMar-04-2015 12:37 PM

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

A Random Godzillasaurus

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 4:12 PM

Never Ever in forever....                                               BUT MAYBEY A FEW MORE EYES 

Spi3000

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 5:01 PM

It's a hell of a risk to even do. On one side it can be pulled off but on the other would it even be considered as King Ghidorah? The one thing Godzilla fans doesn't want to see is another '98 moment and if King Ghidorah is drastically changed to a point it doesn't look like King Ghidorah, fans will flip. There is a way for it to play out though. King Ghidorah could have more heads as long the traditional 3 was seen. During this moment would also require a classic Godzilla and Ghidorah fight. However later on King Ghidorah either A goes through a form of metamorphasis that has it grows extra heads or B gets mutated by something. But I think the best way is to just leave Ghidorah with the 3 heads just so fans won't have much to complain about.

gojifan02

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 5:15 PM

No but like 6 eyes on evry head would be cool

RESPECT THE GOLDEN MIRUmiru

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMar-04-2015 6:02 PM

No. If King Ghidorah has more than three heads then call it something else.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMar-04-2015 8:00 PM

GODZILLATHEKING123 - I would very much like for King Ghidorah's physiology to remain intact for the new film. In my opinion, changing his iconic appearance would be, for lack of a better, disrespectful to the source material - somewhat like taking the bony plates off of Godzilla's back. For many, it would not be the same creature. Regardless, this was a very interesting question! :)

ZillaForLife

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-04-2015 9:55 PM

do you want a repeat of 98?

not godzilla=bad.

not KG= bad.

Godzillatheking123

MemberBaragonMar-05-2015 1:05 AM

Zillaforlife: Did I say anything about being in favour of King Ghidorah having more than 3 heads? I simply asked a question on it. I don't have a position on this at the moment either way, but reflecting on the possibilties.

KingKai: Yes, I know Orochi and KG are different monsters, but that being said, there is an  uncanny resemblance between them.  Look at the 1994 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIFebs78k-I

Orochi has no wings and has 8 heads, but other than that, it looks strangely familar to us, don't you think? If you change Orochi's skin color and add in the wings, he could easily passed for an extra-headed KG, or more likely, a cousin of KG, hehehehe.

Somethingreal: I'm glad you appreciated my question. I think as a Godzilla fan, one must strike a balance between protecting or retaining what godzilla is and at the same time being open to new ideas and creative avenues. I'm not saying I want a KG more than 3 heads, but I think one can at least speculate about it, for the sake of keeping an open mind.  

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMar-05-2015 2:33 AM

GODZILLATHEKING123 - I whole-heartedly understand and respect your viewpoint on this matter. :)

Ezemun

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-05-2015 3:50 AM

Yo opino que deberia de ser interesante pero bueno, perdonen es que hablo español,tambien espero que esta nueva pelicula de Godzilla sea interesante, y tenga mas batallas y mas misterio. :) 

Durp004

MemberBaragonMar-05-2015 5:46 AM

I don't really like the idea of giving Ghidorah more than three heads. While I'm all about updating and changing monsters, Ghidorah's 3 heads are the staple of the character. Something as key as that isn't really something that can be changed.

KManX89

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-05-2015 12:49 PM

Simply put:

Him having more than 3 heads is NOT Ghidorah, they named his first movie Ghidorah The Three Headed Dragon for a reason, you know. More eyes/limbs (which I've seen on a popular Legendary reskin of him BTW), maybe, but another head or heads? No way!

KingKaijuGojira

MemberTitanosaurusMar-05-2015 3:07 PM

^My name is not KINGKAI. It's KINGKAIJUGOJIRA. Please refer to me as KINGKAIJUGOJIRA. Thank you.

\"SKREEONGK!\" -Godzilla

Gojiler: King of the Derp Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-05-2015 11:03 PM

No need to fix what isn't broken. I'll be honest I was playing "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" and one of the bosses name is Ghidrah. Instantly I thought to King Ghidorah, and knew that the boss would have three heads just like him. To my amazment the boss had three heads.

NateZilla10000

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-06-2015 10:56 AM

No, they should keep it three heads. It's Ghidorah tradition.

They don't have to have King Ghidorah specifically for me (although I would like that), but whichever ghidorah they throw up in there, it has to have three heads and be a dragon-based creature to earn the title. Those are the two basic rules with the ghidorah family:

1. Be a Dragon

2. Have three heads.

No more, no less.

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-06-2015 7:13 PM

I respectfully disagree with most of these answers, honestly.

So just because Ghidorah gets one or more extra heads, that doesn't make him the same monster? Let's say he got the same color, the same basic overall look with a modern twist or two, the same name and in this case let's say either the same or an origin very close to the original, he's not Ghidorah just because he has one or two extra heads...?

In my opinion, one of the problems with the Godzilla fan base is that there seems to be too little room for creativity. It's like almost every detail has to be the same or there's a problem with it.

Now as for 1998 that was a huge change so I understand that, but saying a monster isn't the same monster just because he gets an extra head?

Nobody HAS to like the idea, but it seems to me that everyone is saying that the sequel would become some kind of abomination and 1998 would happen again just because of a change that doesn't seem like such a big deal in my opinion.

I just don't get that I guess.

So as for me, if they wanted to try it, they could go ahead. I would base my own opinion on whether or not the monster was Ghidorah on how he overall acts, looks (in terms of bigger changes than just an extra head or two), and comes from.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMar-06-2015 8:09 PM

Dinozilla,
I would call an extra head a pretty massive deviation in terms of "big changes". It's arguably a larger, more usless change than what was done to Godzilla in 1998.

The fact is there are plenty of creatures outside of Ghidorah with a set number of heads: Hydra, Orochi, Cerberus. Part of what defines them is their number of heads. (Even if an added trait is regrowing two when one is cut off.)

With King Ghidorah's mythology he has always had three heads. The Showa, Heisei, Mothra Trilogy and Millennium Ghidorahs have all been heavily redesigned to varying praise and jeers, but the fact is they all look like King Ghidorah. Part of that immediate recognition is the silhouette, easily structured by the number of heads.

To take it a step further other Ghidorahs have shared this trait. Cretaceous Ghidorah, Death Ghidorah and Keizer Ghidorah have all followed suit with three horned heads. They may not look like the traditional King Ghidorah, but they're not supposed to. The main link to the name "Ghidorah" is simply their number of specifically designed heads.

So to say that, "part of the problem with the fanbase is that there is little room for creativity" completely ignores how different King Ghidorah's designs have been over the last 50 years. It also ignores the fact the fanbase has accepted those changes as well as other Ghidorah incarnations.

I don't understand how this is even in question or why it would even be considered. You wouldn't add more engine nacelles to the Enterprise. You wouldn't put a forth ear on Batman's cowl. You wouldn't stick four more legs on Spider-Man's emblem. You wouldn't put a turtle shell on a Ninja Turtle's head. You wouldn't add more heads to King Ghidorah either.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-06-2015 9:05 PM

@Gman2887

Well, I suppose you have a point there.

However, a few things I want to point out.

The "it also ignores the fact that the fanbase has accepted those changes as well as other Ghidorah incarnations" kind of misses my point a bit. You see, those are changes made by Toho for Toho films. I was talking about the fact that the fanbase doesn't seems to take hardly any changes made by studios outside of Toho very well. I mean, I have seen fans complain about the smallest changes to certain kaiju including Godzilla. It seems like if something small gets changed by an American studio and the fans don't like it, 1998 is going to happen all over again.

Now as I said, maybe it's a bigger change to everyone than it is to me, and that's alright. If the majority of the fans feel like the three heads are an unchangable character design, then okay, it shouldn't be changed. Maybe it's just me, certain changes bug me and some don't, like I said if everything else matched Ghidorah I could overlook an extra head.

I just get tired of seeing the "if they change this, I won't like this movie" way of looking at things instead of an open mind to new ideas, that's all.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMar-06-2015 10:54 PM

Considering only two other studios have taken a crack at Godzilla, with only one film each, I think damning the fanbase as not taking changes very well is a little presumptuous. This is especially considering one studio completely botched their opportunity altogether. So it's a wonder fans were able to trust another studio whatsoever. Legendary, on the flip side, has been mostly praised for their efforts. So again I'm not sure where this criticism is coming from.

Another thing that such a line of thinking assumes is that fans are okay with changes as long as Toho makes them. This lumps all of the Godzilla films Toho has released under one umbrella and that's simply not right. Many fans took issue with King Ghidorah origins in both 1991 and 2001. Many were upset by the small stature of his design in 2001 and some vocal minorities even decried it KGINO. (King Ghidorah In Name Only-- An offshoot of GINO used to describe the 1998 travesty.) The fanbase majority generally agree that King Ghidorah hasn't been the same since 1968. So just because a change comes from Toho does not make them immune.

But regardless of whether or not it's Toho or some other studio that has made the change, the fact is still that King Ghidorah has gone through more physical and character changes than most on-screen characters in their cinematic tenure. As it stands the monster is fairly flexible, but what has allowed fans to accept these incarnations as King Ghidorah is the consistency of the iconic design: Gold scales, three horned heads, bipedal frame and wings. Coupled with always being a direct foil to Godzilla, these elements are pretty much SOP for King Ghidorah.

Now while I agree the notion of automatically disliking an entire movie because of a massive depature in design mythology is a stretch, I can also see how it could dampen one's enjoyment of the film. For example, imagine many fans' surprise in 1998 when a film named "Godzilla" came out and the title character didn't show up. It would be a shame if the same were promised with another iconic Toho monster.

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-07-2015 11:42 AM

@Gman2887

Indeed I can see how it would be disappointing. As much as I like the 1998 movie I agree it would have been disappointing going in the theater expecting a monster much more like the actual Godzilla.

But, and I suppose this is just me, an extra head or two doesn't make the monster not Ghidorah as long as he overall looked and acted like the Kaiju. Zilla didn't look or act like Godzilla at all, so I assumed that the combination was the reason he became 'GINO' to the fans, not just the change in looks alone.

So this is how it goes for me; if the film is good, if he looks and acts like Ghidorah and the origin is as close as they can get it to the original, then I can overlook an extra head. If he isn't really like Ghidorah at all or there are a lot of changes to the monster, then I would be disappointed.

Oh yeah, and the reason I didn't count the Toho changes is because the franchise was still in the hands of the original studio, so what I mean is, I have seen fans have negative attitudes toward changes made by anyone who is NOT part of Toho, and the reason to me seems to be because some fans dislike the idea of anyone else changing something about the 'original' franchise/monster that they loved so much.

In other words, if Toho changes something, well people may not like it, but they can overlook it because it's still done by the true owners to their own property. Whereas if someone, like a Hollywood studio, changes something to make it 'modern' some fans get an "they're ruining my favorite franchise" kind of attitude.

Maybe I'm missing the mark and the attitude is actually directed towards other studios and it just shows when something gets changed. I mean, I will admit that fans have the right to be nervous about Godzilla in the hands of a Hollywood studio after 1998.

Durp004

MemberBaragonMar-07-2015 1:14 PM

Looked and acted like Ghidorah? That's pretty broad since besides the 3 heads Ghidorahs have all looked different ranging from color schemes to being bipedal to quadruped. The monster ha even not had large or noticable wings in some incarnations like Keizer Ghidorah, Death Ghidorah didn't have them at first, and GMK Ghidorah's were unusable prior to absorbing Mothra. Point is Ghidorah doesn't really have a "look" outside the 3 heads. Same with actions Ghidorah first appeared and he was a rampant monster that destroyed planets, then he was always under control, he's been from the future, and finally he was a quardian monster. The ONLY thing that has never charged about a Ghidorah was the three heads. Every other aspect about the monster has been changed before.

If the past has shown us anything it's that everything about Ghidorah is subject to change besides his three heads. Toho apparently views that as the staple of the character moreso than anything else. The fact is changing it would be pointless. What would it accomplish, compared to what it would do negatively?(that being distancing it from the characters history)

Dinozilla0439

MemberMothra LarvaeMar-07-2015 1:45 PM

@Durp004

As far as I knew, we were talking about the original Ghidorah, so the "looked and acted like Ghidorah" pretty much meant if he "looked and acted like the original Ghidorah" (the first one).

Now I never said it would accomplish anything, but it simply wouldn't bother me as long as they tried to stay true to either the original Ghidorah or any other Toho variation of the kaiju with everything else.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMar-07-2015 8:11 PM

While most fans, including myself, want something closer to the original Ghidorah, isn't that in direct contradiction to the idea that we should be more accepting of creativity with these characters? Fans barely accept King Ghidorah incarnations post-1960s, I don't think adding extra heads will help that mentality whether it's closer to the original King Ghidorah or not.

The thing is, because King Ghidorah is such a sporadic character at this point, changing his design would result in a deviation from a fixed standard that tells people who King Ghidorah is. He's been a space monster, futuristic bio-mutation, a nightmare villain that feeds on children and a guardian based out of Japanese mythology. Take away aspects of his iconic look, and his constant headblowing with Godzilla, and it might as well be a different monster altogether.

Meanwhile, I still think not counting Toho's changes is undermining what fans do and do not accept and from who. Toho may be the studio behind those changes, but it was never the same people. Ishiro Honda, Eiji Tsuburaya and Shinichi Seikizawa created the Showa Ghidorah, but it was Kazuki Omori and Koichi Kawakita that made the first big changes to the character. Then Okihiro Yoneda, Masumi Suetani and Kenji Sezuki changed him further in Rebirth of Mothra 3. And finally Shusuke Kaneko, Masahiro Yokotani and Makoto Mamiya altered him the furthest in 2001.

The point is it has little to do with the studio and everything to do with the people/vision. To this day there are fans that do not accept these later Ghidorah incarnations just as much as they detest the 1998 toilet-bowl. So while you may have seen fans jump on changes made by other studios I guarantee you they have jumped on Toho for changes like that first. Playing off other studios as innocent bystanders being bullied by fans while pretending they praise every move Toho makes is a farce. Toho has had a much longer history of chances to piss off fans than either Sony or Legendary could dream of.

Now you're on the mark as far as nervousness goes. The 1998 film has made fans extremely cautious, granted. But their complaints about changes made by both Sony and Legendary are no more or less volatile than those that have been directed at Toho. You should've seen some of the first reactions to Godzilla 2000 for example. Wave after wave of fans initially titled it GINO2. It was not a pretty time to be a fan.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonMar-09-2015 2:23 PM

One word as a repeat to 98.

Ghidorah

In

Name

Only

I don't think the fans want this to happen twice.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums