Godzilla Movie

Talkback #5: Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster

3998 Views11 Replies
Forum Topic

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-07-2015 6:36 PM

GHIDORAH: THE THREE HEADED MONSTERS

When Detective Shindo attempts to protect Princess Selina Salno from an assassination attempt she becomes embodied by her Venusian ancestry. Her state of being enables her to accurately predict the return of Godzilla and Rodan. Meanwhile, Professor Miura witnesses the last of Salno's prophesies: The arrival of King Ghidorah. Shindo's sister, Naoko, and the Shobijin call on Mothra's help; she arrives at Mt. Fuji to form an alliance with Godzilla and Rodan against Earth's newest threat. In the thick of a monster war Salno's assassins draw closer to their goal.

CLICK HER TO REVIEW THE MOVIE ON SCIFIED

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."
11 Replies

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-07-2015 6:39 PM

I tend to overlook this movie simply because it's between two of my favorite movies, Mothra vs. Godzilla and Invasion of the Astro-Monster, and I don't find it as enjoyable as either of those two films. Still, it's a true classic in the series and one of the most important films in the series, for introducing King Ghidorah and implementing Rodan into the Godzilla series, as well as making Godzilla the protagonist for the first time. The humans element is pretty exciting too, and Akira Ifukube delivers a typically great score. I gave this film a 3.5 out of 5 when I reviewed it on Scified.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-08-2015 1:08 PM

GMAN2887 - Oh, how wonderful! This film holds a very special place in my heart! I could not watch it enough when I was a little girl! The fact that it has Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan teaming up to face off against Ghidorah was simply fantastic to me! Of course, there are other films in the Godzilla pantheon that rank much higher for me than Ghidorah: the Three-Headed Monster. However, I will always view it with fond memories! :)

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonApr-08-2015 1:52 PM

Probably my fave when I was a boy, and the third G movie I ever saw. I'm with Something Real in that it holds a special place in my heart, along with Monster Zero/Astro Monster. The concept of Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra battling it out with a 3 headed flying space dragon was enough to make my head explode! This and Monster Zero/Astro Monster were an awesome 1-2 punch. As I got older and started to like the sillier aspects of these movies less and less, they lost a bit of their luster, but are still among my faves and in my opinion the last great Godzilla movies of the Showa era. Had Ghidorah been played a bit more "serious", (minus the monster talking, bickering and goofiness), this would be right up there with it's predecessor (MvsG) as one of my favorite Godzilla movies, period. I think a must-see for any Godzilla fan. Also, the Showa Ghidorah is my favorite incarnation of my second favorite Toho monster.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-08-2015 2:38 PM

KOLDWARKID62 - Well said! It is very nice to see you again! :)

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonApr-08-2015 4:09 PM

Something Real - Same here! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-08-2015 5:25 PM

I think the silliness worked in context. The monster conference is something goofy, buy still easy to appreciate on many levels. First of all the notion of three animalistic monsters teaming up to fight one great threat was bonkers and Sekizawa knew it. So instead of trying to play it straight he used the genre's qualities to get away with the anthropomorphizing of these beasts. It works because this is the only genre that can get away with it and land safely.

Furthermore, the monster conference really is right in line with Honda's constant theme of unity. He spent a lot of time in previous movies, both Godzilla and otherwise, pushing characters and mankind to band together against an overwhelming threat. Here he does it with the monsters. We already know Godzilla and Mothra are enemies and this film would've made a great case for Godzilla and Rodan's rivalry had King Ghidorah not shown up. Three monsterous enemies band together to fight a great threat. And what's more it's not Mothra's words that convinced them, but her actions. Honda's never been much for political bickering-- As he made clear in the original Godzilla. It seems that even when Mothra's at the podium he doesn't think it's worth much.

I think the real issue with this movie is how rushed it was. It's incredible Honda and co. can make movies like this on such a asinine schedule-- As much as directors and special effects men complained about the rushed schedule in the Heisei and Millennium series, they never had it as bad as the crew members in the 1960s and those movies were much better. Still, the rush job shows in some places with Ghidorah.

The editing sometimes doesn't makes sense. At one moment we're in a hotel with Princess Salano and her assasins at night, then we cut to Professor Mirua at the camp site during the day. This wouldn't be big deal if it weren't for the fact that the very next scene is the exact same setting with Salano... It's either an editing goof or the assasins were pointing a knife at her in that hotel for 24 hours. It's not the latter...

Love this movie regardless though.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-09-2015 7:07 AM

Ghidorah became one of tohos biggest monsters and looking at this movie it's no wonder why. 3 of tohos biggest monsters were put together just for his intro movie. This was the first time something like that was done with the closest thing prior being Mothra vs Godzilla with Godzilla fighting 2 larvae. All the monsters basically play their part with most of the middle of the movie being a Godzilla vs Rodan brawl while we build up to Ghidorah being released. A fun movie with a good human element. 

SapphireOverlord

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2015 3:20 PM

This was one of the first five Godzilla moives I saw before the '98 film came out.  The other four being Son of Godzilla, Godzilla Vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Return of Godzilla.

I always found the concept of the princess who thought she was an alien as strange, but then again this is the same moive that has the monsters converstaion being translated by the Shobijin.

Quote of the Day: "Oh Godzilla!  What teribble language!"

SapphireOverlord

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2015 3:22 PM

I forget did you guys cover King Kong Vs. Godzilla yet?

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-09-2015 7:36 PM

^We have not. So far we've only covered about 5 movies or so.

I'm a little rusty on the American version, but having watched the Japanese version not too long ago the alien persona is actually very well explained: Venusians' planet was destroyed by King Ghidorah and those that escaped assimilated into humankind. Her ancestor's persona and influenced inhabited Salano to warn Earth of King Ghidorah. I think it's a wonderfully creative sci-fi storyline with a slight whisper of creepiness to it.

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-09-2015 7:50 PM

The English version is basically the same except what is left of the Martians simply take over the princess to warn them of Ghidorah, rather than her being an ancestor of an alien herself.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums