Godzilla Movie

Godzilla 2016: A Nuclear Nightmare?

3191 Views51 Replies
Forum Topic

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 8:16 PM

Hello there.

After having read multiple articles concerning the upcoming Toho release of Godzilla (2016), I have come to the conclusion (based on what the eager new directors have stated) that this new version of Godzilla is going to be of a brand far more frightening than what we have seen in more recent films. With this as the case, I have begun to wonder if we will see a return of the nuclear aspects that made Godzilla so inescapable in his debut film. The thought that simply being within relatively close proximity to a massive, genetically altered monster could result in radiation poisoning was, for me, one of the most fascinating and unsettling aspects of the original Godzilla. Do you suppose we might see this frightening trait return in the 2016 release, and, if so, is that something you would enjoy seeing? As always, your thoughts and conjecture are most welcome, even if you choose to keep them to yourself. :)

51 Replies

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 8:40 PM

The kind of nightmare scenario you mentioned would be ideal. It also seems in line with the past work/style of the directors, not to mention the promise to give us our "worst nightmare." I hope that Anno and Higuchi have something up their sleaves, and that this 'something' be shocking and overwhelming.

A return to the nuclear theme would be welcomed and a nice homage to the original, genre-launching film. Accordingly, I anticipate a Godzilla that is mysterious, purposeful and driven-by anger for having been irradiated and mutated by nuclear energy. I hope the design corresponds to, and fits the character of, a scary, dangerous and totally unpredictable monster.

As Godzilla would be unpredictable, I hope the film's narrative is the same way: one that the viewer, transformed, unwillingly, into participant, cannot figure out. Right up to the cliffhanging end.

It would be refreshing, and actually endearing, that the human players in this story be at a loss as to what to do. To have Godzilla and a nuclear crisis, one caused by him, to deal with, would be wonderfully overwhelming. The possibility of meaningful subplots is rich, limited only by the imaginations and the hearts of the writers. 

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 8:45 PM

As part of the homage to Gojira, it would be nice to have incidents happen suddenly and mysteriously, without a hint of explanation.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 8:50 PM

JAMAAL - The concepts you have presented sound extremely compelling! Indeed, I would absolutely love to see Godzilla portrayed in such a fashion as to evoke a sense of horrifying mystery - one that ultimately leads to more questions than answers. I also would like to see an iteration of Godzilla that is quite obviously driven by a terrible purpose insilled in him by man's foolishness, yet completely unknown. The nuclear crisis you presented would be extremely fantastic! Thank you ever so much for providing so much food for thought! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 9:03 PM

And then, when it's over (and it's horror-filled, scary, visually spectacular, but edifying, meaningful and symbolic 'it'), I would like to see the end credits roll with us following Godzilla, his footsteps registering like thunder, that iconic, original roar from the 1954 film piercing the night, and then, he turns and looks at us, with the scariest, most vicious, hate-filled expression you've seen.

And then, fade to black...

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:05 PM

It's funny you started this topic Something Real. I recently read an article about Anno's fears of atomic warfare: Japan's New Anime King, Hideaki Anno, Haunted by Fears of Nuclear Apocalypse

The article was written barely two months before the new Godzilla was announced and he had already long been signed on to the project. (It's likely he was hinting at this movie.) Still, it comes with a sense of welcoming dread that a man who vividly remembers fearing the Cold War era is in control of this movie. He seems to have the nightmares you're speculating over.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 9:12 PM

"one that ultimately leads to more questions than answers. I also would like to see an iteration of Godzilla that is quite obviously driven by a terrible purpose insilled in him by man's foolishness, yet completely unknown."

I agree, SOMETHING REAL: this is what I what from this Godzilla: mystery, suspense, a driven, scary monster who cannot be contained, and whose actions cannot be anticipated. As the attacks increase, a sense of hopelessness coupled with desperation becomes pervasive. The resultant conflict between the authorities responsible for responding to the crisis, this disaster, mirrors the chaos and destruction caused by Godzilla, with no end in sight.  

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:18 PM

GMAN2887 - OH! Hahaha! That is extremely compelling! Thank you for providing the link; I greatly enjoyed reading the article! It is funny; when I was a little girl (about nine years old or so) I watched Terminator Two: Judgement Day (my cousin insisted). When Sarah had her nightmare in the film (that ghastly scene where she burns alive), it terrified me senseless! I believe I cried for the rest of the night! From that day to my 27th birthday last Feburary, I have dreaded nuclear conflict in the extreme! However, I feel that I have been somewhat, hmm, compelled by that fear to produce creative works. Thank you again for the link! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:21 PM

JAMAAL - Spot on! I hope we get something that really stands out as a definitve Godzilla that honors its incredibly unsettling roots! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:24 PM

If Anno was really fearful of a nuclear apocalypse this is his time to get it out.

Any filmmaker who is as haunted by atomic armageddon as Anno claims he is deserves to express himself through Godzilla.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:27 PM

GMAN2887 - Here, here! I could not agree more! Well spoke, sir! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:29 PM

GMAN2887 - If anyone has the ability to provide a Godzilla that will do the mythology justice, it is Anno! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 9:34 PM

And I believe that dramatic, moving contrasts, startling juxtapositions, help to make a film's narrative compelling and engaging.

There's this seemingly unstoppable force, on one hand. On the other, there are the people, the characters we've gotten to know, who are now tasked with no only trying to survive,but overcome overwhelmingn odds. For I believe that even in a 'scary' Godzilla film, there has to be hope. Shusuke Kaneko said in an interview that as a filmmaker, he wants to give the audience a sense of hope for the future. That this can somehow be pulled out of a violent, mayhem-filled, appearance of a giant monster, would be truly great spectacle. I hope to see this, God willing, with all that the filmmakers can bring to the table.  

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-14-2015 9:49 PM

Of course, we could be getting ahead of ourselves. What if Anno pulls a fast one on us and boom, hello Jet Jaguar!

Doubtful of course, but we're mostly just going of what's been hinted, what the filmmakers have done before and what their philosophies are. Many thought we were getting a movie like the one you guys are describing in 2014 because most of that seemed to line-up. We didn't. I enjoyed what we got, but it wasn't what was being built up.

Now marketing isn't as outrageous in Japan as it is in America, but until we have a clearer idea of what this movie is aiming to do, I caution to be prepared for anything.

HeiseiKing

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 9:58 PM

I have seen almost every episoide in eva, all the movies, and am pretty sure am not the only one who hasnt seen attack on titan. trust me REAL, this is gonna be a really, really, really scary Godzilla. Probly really bloody and gory to if he fights another monster, which i dont think hes gonna do

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-14-2015 10:37 PM

^Sounds good to me.

KingKaijuGojira

MemberTitanosaurusApr-15-2015 4:19 AM

Well Godzilla has always been a symbol/metaphor of Nuclear Destruction. So if in the 2016 movie Godzilla was this Nuclear Nightmare you've described, not only woud it be true to the character, but it would be very awesome and very horrifying. It would be very nice to see Godzilla be a walking Nuclear Disaster again.

\"SKREEONGK!\" -Godzilla

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 5:34 AM

GMAN2887 - Hahaha! That would be something! If Jet Jaguar comes out of left field, I will start calling this Godzilla the GMAN2887 film on account that you predicted it! You are quite right; we are getting ahead of ourselves - and perhaps a tad carried away. However, it is very fun to speculate with you guys over the possibilities for this future film - especially since the lot of you are an intelligent bunch of proper villains with the capacity to hold an engaging conversation! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 5:39 AM

HEISEIKING - I certainly hope what you have speculated turns out to be true! I, too, have seen Attack on Titan and a small amount of Neon Genesis. From what I can tell, this is going to be extremely thought provoking, scary and fun! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 5:42 AM

KINGKAIJUGOJIRA - I could not agree more! I would absolutley love to see Godzilla return to his dark and distubring roots - especially in a film directed by indviduals whom understand and value that legacy and will do their best to preserve it! :)

KingKaijuGojira

MemberTitanosaurusApr-15-2015 5:55 AM

SOMETHING REAL, You took the words out of my mouth. The fact that the directors understand and value the legacy created by the King of the Monsters make it even more likely that Godzilla will be the walking Nuclear Apocalypse he started as. Perhaps the new 2016 design may resemble the original 1954 ShodaiGoji desgin.

\"SKREEONGK!\" -Godzilla

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 6:05 AM

KINGKAIJUGOJIRA - I can not describe how utterly ecstatic I would be if Toho's new Godzilla resembles the original from 1954! That would likely bring me to tears! Ugh! We are so getting ahead of ourselves - but it is extremely fun to hypothesize with all of you! :)

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonApr-15-2015 1:35 PM

"We have our fears and we have reality, then you have Godzilla which is reality."

Like Gman2887 said, if Anno claims that fear, he should express it through his vision. Ishoro Honda witnessed first hand what the dangers of the atomic bomb and radiation can do to the world. He applied that to Godzilla.

Fear can mean many things. So, if Anno wants to express that fear, he should by having Godzilla being that malevolent (God) in which he was visioned and created. A towering, meanacing, devil that unleashes hell on earth.

I'm actually creating some fan art for my hype of this film. I really look forward to it.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 1:50 PM

BIGBADBEN - How very excellent! I am exceptionally excited to see what you are producing! There is no doubt in my mind that you will create truly astounding images and I, for one, will be honored in the extreme to view them! :)

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonApr-15-2015 2:05 PM

@Something real,

Well, first thing is first. I am wrapping up the Godzilla raids again graphic novel as we speak. I will be releasing it on here, Twitter, and Devaintart within one more month. After that GorillaGodzilla has been waiting very patiently for his request for a poster on Godzilla 2018.

As soon as those are knocked out of the way, I'm going into production on them. Then who knows what's next? ;)

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 2:16 PM

BIGBADBEN - I can not wait! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-15-2015 5:29 PM

A recapitulation of this would be fine with me:

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonApr-15-2015 5:52 PM

@Jamaal,

I think people can put that "vs." To rest.

When they said "our greatest worst nightmare " that should have been an indication that this very well could be a solo Godzilla film. The first in 32 years! 

Now, they can still do a vs. movie, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. They can include another monster and still make it work but, that doesn't feel right to me personally.

It needs to be a solo Godzilla film. To me at least. There are so many unanswered questions going around right now. 

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-15-2015 7:06 PM

BIGBADBEN and JAMAAL - Indeed! I want the "greatest worst nightmare"! Bring it on! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-15-2015 11:04 PM

A solo film keeps coming to mind. I don't know why. Just a feeling. If Anno and Higuchi do what we know them to be capable of, there won't be a need for a second monster.

The Shodai-Goji, as a template for the Godzilla design, but updated with 2015 special and visual effects, would fit a solo Godzilla film. This look is probably my favorite. Especially that poster. There are those scenes in Gojira where he's looking down at you, directly. It's chilling and mesmerizing. It would be great to experience that again, anew, through the best in meticulous, lovingly-applied tokusatsu effects, with all of the advances that have been made in this art form.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-15-2015 11:07 PM

Remember, this is Toho. They mandated Godzilla must fight another monster for the 2014 film. I can see them enforcing this same thing here unless Anno and Higuchi came up with something so wild for a solo film that Toho absolutely knew it was a win. I don't find that entirely likely, albeit, not impossible.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums