Godzilla Movie

Godzilla 2016: Solo or Not?

3018 Views20 Replies
Forum Topic

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-27-2015 9:54 AM

So what is to come of the Toho movie, will Godzilla be alone rampaging in Tokyo once again or will Toho bring in old monsters or total new monsters for the king to fight. I believe Godzilla wont be the only monster in the movie for one reason, with Godzilla's movie record its pretty traditional to have the King smack down with another new or old monster.

20 Replies

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-27-2015 12:16 PM

i kind of want him to be alone in this one and have them remake 54 sort of. some of his best movies are when hes the only monster in my opinion

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganApr-27-2015 12:55 PM

I think the new film should focus on Godzilla, but maybe have another monster. Another warship like the Gotengo or Super-X would be cool.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-27-2015 2:13 PM

AUTOBOT_CROSSITES - Welcome to SCIFIED! It is always quite nice to see new faces! I personally would like Godzilla (2016) to focus solely upon Godzilla himself as a massive and terrible force of destruction mankind has inadvertantly brought upon himself! That would make me quite happy! Once again, welcome to SCIFIED! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-27-2015 5:51 PM

Wouldn't care either way as long as it works for the story. There's only two solo Godzilla movies, one was brilliant and the other... decent, but ultimately lacking. I'd like to see another go at a solo Godzilla movie, but would not be either surprised nor disappointed if it didn't happen.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

MechaGoji-175

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-28-2015 2:40 AM

I think it would be a solo just to show Godzilla's back bigger and badder then ever, but... a second kaiju would be cool. i would love to see a new kaiju like always. Showa: Anguris. Heisei: Biollante. Millenium: Orga. if it were a new kaiju, i think a bug (and arrachnid) kaiju would work allthough i hate bug kaiju, a new one might make me like them a little better.

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-28-2015 12:37 PM

*MECHAGOJI-175* 

A bug would rival 2014, and i could see it Tho could bring in a bug kaiju of their own and as you said an archnid which brings me to believe you are referring to Kumonga

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-28-2015 12:41 PM

SOMETHING REAL I appreceiate the welcome and yes that apporach would be a very good approach, but I feel the hype of 2014 has G-fans wanting more fights.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonApr-28-2015 1:10 PM

^Not neseccarly. Many of us fans would love another attempt at a solo Godzilla film. You would think that when special effects director Shinji Higuchi said "I will give you the greatest worst nightmare."

To go off of what Gman2887 said, the first Godzilla film was brilliant. While the return of Godzilla 1984, the other solo film, was decent. I'm not saying they couldn't include other monsters because films like GMK, Godzilla raids again, mothra vs godzilla all protray this beast as a worst nightmare. However when you think of nightmares, the first film automatically comes to mind when it comes to Godzilla.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-29-2015 9:30 AM

I agree with you on your point. Godzilla is the very incarnation of fear from nuclear disaster. Now whether they do or dont bring in a new monster is totally a mystery at this point in time, but a I wouldn't mind a solo movie, it would show real homage to the original 54' movie

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-29-2015 9:38 AM

I don't care if Godzilla's alone or with another monster as long as those monsters aren't Mothra, Ghidorah, or Mechagodzilla. Any other monster, new or old, or a solo godzilla would be preferable to seeing those 3 again.

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-29-2015 9:48 AM

DURPOO4

I understand where your coming from. but i feel that toho might reincarnate Mothra, and Ghidorah and i wouldnt mind seeing MechaGodzilla again, but new and imporved far more than any other Mecha-G incarnation

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-30-2015 9:45 AM

Toho using Ghidorah and Mothra would not only be a poor decision due to those 2 holding a monopoly in terms of Godzilla movies they've been in effectively erasing any other monster ever getting the chance to become more popular by taking up movies, but most of all because both Monsters have already been announced for the upcoming legendary movie. That means not only are we going to see them in 3 years for certain, but they'd also get yet another toho movie before that. roughly 30 monsters in the Godzilla library and we'd be getting the same 3 for roughly the 6th time if you count the fact they are slated for one coming up(that's just the movies Ghidorah and mothra have been in together not individually, then that's around half the movies)

Autobot_Crossties

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-30-2015 12:23 PM

You put up a very good argument, I'd like to see Baragon come back after his miserable defeat in the GMK movie

RR44

MemberBaragonJun-05-2015 9:00 PM

Concidering that the mutos were in and of themselves.. GIANT bugs... Toho should stay away from bugs altogether. and create a new foe. I'm not taking away from past Kaijus the G fought with... but Final Wars pretty much covered all the bases... and mecha G has been done 4 times now. Rodan is a staple.. but what Toho needs is something new. Edwards MUTOs were pretty cool and had a hint of Gigan (eyes).. rodan (wings).. Praying mantis (bug)... and megalon (another bug). Now GMK.. had the right idea... but Ghidorah and mothra... again... and tokyo sos.. again with mothra... and Edwards sequel... rodan, mothraGhidorah... again... Godzilla in a new solo film IMO would be preferable to a repeat of the big 3... and a new foe would make it even cooler. We need fresh from Toho.. not refresh. 

Godzilla2009

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 10:51 AM

This is my first post so please take into consideration that I am neither trying to be a "fanboy" nor a "hater" but rather provide a neutral perspective.

In regards to whether the 2016 should be solo or not, I hope it is a solo movie. I also hope to see Godzilla go back to being an @$$hole (reminiscent of G54, 84, parts of GvKG, and all of GMK etc.) If he does fight another monster I hope it's Bagan. He would be a new entry into the film series and I think he deserves to be a part of the film universe. If not Bagan then the enemy monster should be an entirely new entity (preferably not a bug or giant robot.)

Regardless of the monster cast, I want Godzilla to be the focus of the movie rather than an after thought. Even Godzilla 2000 (while not the best film) did a great job of introducing a new monster while still keeping Godzilla center-stage. Honestly, G14 was not a "bad" movie, however, I was disheartened while walking out of the theater. As the SDCC teaser alluded, Godzilla would "become death" and be "the destroyer of worlds" and as the trailers led me to believe I would see Godzilla "bring us back to the stone age." Hopefully the new Toho film will re-invent a Godzilla that is a true malevolent force. While "dark and gritty" are two stereotypical staples in film descriptors, I would very much appreciate a film with a similar tone and ambiance as the 1954 film.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 4:47 PM

A solo Godzilla film, with him as something inexorable, unstoppable and seemingly indestructable, would be welcomed. To me, it all depends on the story, the writing, the characters, the visuals, the way Godzilla looks and the way he is portrayed.

A movie that is semi-documentary like, like the 1954 original, might not need another monster. To have to focus on a single threat, without help in the form of an intervening monster, is more compelling. Now, Godzilla as the anti-hero, whose appearance is the result of events set in motion by man, could be rivteting, depending upon the 'enemy kaiju.' If there is to be another another monster, it should be something totally different, and not just to provide a reason for monster battles. This monster should be something really unimaginable. It would help, narrative-wise, that kaiju-x symbolize something. Preferably, something contemporary, issue-wise.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 4:55 PM

If the other kaiju symbolizes a contemporary issue, a threat or regional/national concern, it may help make to the film 'fresh.'

Relevancy may be crucial to the success of the series as it moves forward. Of course, great spectacle and imaginative escapist entertainment weigh heavy in the scale, so to speak.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJul-09-2015 1:42 PM

@Jamaal,

I can't express how much I feel about getting a solo film. It's been 30+ years now and I really think it's time for that solo film again. By the way, you should join me and Gman2887 on twitter. We do live commentary on different Godzilla films and personally I would love to have you join in on the conversations. :)

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-13-2015 6:32 PM

@Huge-Ben:

I would love to do the Twitter thing, when possible.

Thank you very much.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJul-14-2015 1:56 PM

Jamaal,

You're welcome. :)

I hope you can soon! It will be great to see you there.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums