Godzilla Movie

The heisei Gamera films are based on an unproduced Godzilla movie??

2066 Views8 Replies
Forum Topic

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-25-2015 5:28 AM

Maybe you should had noticed this, but in the Scifijapan site there's a chronicle about the American unmade film of Godzilla vs Gryphon. I started to read it and I need to say the plot synopsis is very interesting... but it's mentioned that Godzilla was created by an ancient civilization to counter the attack of a terrible invader kaiju from outer space. doesn't sound familiar familiar??? Do you think Daiei or Kaneko had access to this info???

Btw, Orga's abilities also could be based in Gryphon's

8 Replies

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganMay-25-2015 9:18 AM

I knew about Godzilla vs. the Gryphon, but the Gamera Heisei films were based on it?!?!?! 0_0

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMay-25-2015 12:20 PM

That's always been speculated. While it's not unlikely Kaneko and Ito heard about some of the material for the original Tristar Godzilla, the time frame seems a little too close for there to have been a thorough investigation from the Gamera: Guardian of the Universe team.

But I do think Gamera: Guardian of the Universe is the '94 Tristar Godzilla we never got regardless of inspiration.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-25-2015 4:45 PM

Actually it's seem that Japanese are quite good in working with speed run projects, because in Heisei era we got basically Godzilla, Mothra and Gamera films per year, and the same goes for the Millennium Godzilla era. Maybe could be hard, but not impossible, specially quoting Gamera: the Guardian of Universe as you are saying above.

Personally I liked the plot, but what I see quite weird to take is the idea of trapping and transporting Godzilla like King Kong or Yongary. But overall, the Gryphon project was good.

Durp004

MemberBaragonMay-25-2015 6:11 PM

I don't think there's any way you could peg the same backgrounds as a coincidence especially based off how original it was. I feel like they took the amount of info they knew and ran with it, changing things that would better fit their movie, but overall I don't think there's anyway you could not think there was at least inspiration from the ideas in the 94 Godzilla.

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-25-2015 9:18 PM

The way I see it, even though Godzilla '94 was never actually made, it still got spiritually made in two parts: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe and Godzilla 2014. I feel that both films adapted major points of the script, and together did it justice and brought it to the big screen, just not as the film it was originally intended to be. As much as I would have liked to see Godzilla 1994 be made, I take solace knowing that its script was partially used to revive two kaiju franchises.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMay-25-2015 9:40 PM

Gojira19,
You could say they're good at "speed run" projects, but it's really just how the Japanese film industry runs. Most movies in Japan are planned, shot and edited within a year. They just don't have the same size cinema industry to spend as much money, manpower and time (time is money) as Hollywood.

It was worse in the 50s-70s. Two Godzilla movies were released by the exact same production team in 1964 (Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster) and Terror of MechaGodzilla was shot within one month. If anything the Heisei movies had more time behind them. And remember, no matter what decade, Godzilla movies have typically been some of the most expensive movies made in Japan from 1954-2004.

Gamera 3 is an exception to the rule that took two years. I think it was pushed back for scheduling issues. I can't remember.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-26-2015 2:18 AM

GMAN2887 › You have a point. It's true they have to deal with limited resources compared with Hollywood productions, but ever since they are able to do so I think they possibly took some ideas and used them quickly. 

THE KING OF THE MONSTERS › Yes, the 2014 film has some similarities, specially with the old Brody tragedy and the ancient rivalry between Godzilla's species and Muto's; but it can easily be taken as a new context. That reminds me how we thought Brian Cranston character would have a big role in the ENTIRE movie due the advertisings; but he ended in a big flop! It's a shame.

wolfguy

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-26-2015 12:38 PM

I suppose when you boil it down to a synopsis of a few sentences, it could sound familiar. It's even possible. But remember, Gamera's back story has always been that he was created by an ancient civilization. It was somewhat glanced over in the original 1965 film when they uncovered the tablet that accompanied Gamera's release. 

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
74% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums