Godzilla Movie

Godzilla 2016: The Monster He Should Be?

1561 Views29 Replies
Forum Topic

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 12:26 AM

Hello there.

As we all know, the upcoming Godzilla film being produced by Toho is inching closer and closer to release. Naturally, I have about 9,000,025 questions concerning this film. However, one that stands out most of all is this: will Godzilla return to his more monstrous roots? This question has mulled about within my mind over the past few weeks - mostly due to the interveiws and news articles I have read concerning the film's development. Yet, what has drawn my attention most of all is a pair of items. The first is the teaser poster in which we see Godzilla's footprint - featuring another, slightly deformed fifth toe. This leads me to wonder if the next iteration of Godzilla is going to be a much more monstrous being; a mutant abomination directly resultant of mankind's bid for nuclear power. The second item is the "Nightmare" statement I have read. Based on this remark, It appears that the directors are interested in unsettling audiences. With this as the case (and it is, of course, only speculation), do you suppose we are on the verge of beholding the most terrifying incarnation of Godzilla to date? If so, is this something that you would enjoy? As always, your thoughts and conjecture on this topic are most appreciated, even if you choose to keep them to yourself. :)

29 Replies

Durp004

MemberBaragonJun-26-2015 5:54 AM

Judging Anno's past work he seems pretty good a conceptualizing grotesque or disturbing things. Some the the Angels and even the Evas in his Evangelion series were interesting to say the least even on the low budget that show had. I'm more worried about his ability to create likable characters and a story than being able to make a monsterous Godzilla.

Looking at the director and assistant I think we'll get a pretty original looking Godzilla, and if they make a story that fits the nightmare look I'd enjoy it.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 1:29 PM

DURP004 - How very interesting! I have never seen the Evangelion series. Do you believe it is worth viewing? Regardless, I am pleased to hear the information you have presented - it is definately encouraging! :)

npinkham19

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-26-2015 1:38 PM

I remember that leaked comic con trailer for 2014 ,how dark,apocalyptic, and yet poetic it was and how they made Godzilla look like an angry god come to deliver judgment. We were taken for fools and given a fairly straight forward monster flick with Godzilla as a superhero. It sounds likethe new team want to actually give us what we were expecting last year. 

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 1:45 PM

NPINKHAM19 - I understand and respect your opinion immensely! Indeed, it does seem that the new team is interested in delivering a Godzilla that reflects the nightmare of atomic power! Hopefully we will get that vision! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-26-2015 2:43 PM

I want to note that Higuchi had initially planned a much more violent and gory battle amongst the monsters in Gamera 3, but Daiei held him back. I find this interesting since Gamera 3 probably has some of the most graphic kaiju images in the genre. I wonder how far he'll be allowed to go in order to create his great "nightmare."

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-26-2015 4:49 PM

Will Godzilla return to his original roots? My answer, yes. 

All I want for this movie is to have a great story to foreshadow the greatest worst nightmare. I want great characters who know how to give great acting. I want great special effects. Of course Shinji Higuchi will take care of that. I want this movie to have a meaning, a message to carry along with it. I want Godzilla to be so badass looking that it could top my favorite Godzilla design, that being the 91 suit. I want this movie to succeed at the box office so that more Godzilla films can be brought about. I want the best for it. 

When bringing the whole "greatest worst nightmare " into the equation, only one film comes to mind. Godzilla 1954. Godzilla was a nuclear nightmare in that film, it carried the message of how dangerous the h-bomb is and how hazardous the radiation is. He killed thousands among thousands, he caused really great destruction that could be counted up to at least a billion. Mankind was seemingly helpless until the oxygen destroyer came into play. The scenery in this film is still haunting to this very day. 

I'm hoping that these 2 men can give this film a lot of heart. Something that can relate to the Godzilla films of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Even if they bring in another monster, the greatest worst nightmare can still happen. Look at Godzilla raids again, Mothra vs. Godzilla 64, the return of Godzilla 84, and Gmk. Godzilla is still a haunting terror in those films and is a wrecking ball.  

I'm hoping for a film that can be the quality of Gamera 3 and carry the power of the 54 Godzilla film together. Both of those films are datk, gritty, serious, and show just how small mankind is to these monsters. The recent attack on titan trailer revealed just how far Shinji Higuchi has progressed in the arts of special effects. I know he'll do Godzilla justice in the arts of tokusatsu.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-26-2015 5:18 PM

Will it be the most terrifying incarnation of Godzilla to date? That much has yet to be seen. I enjoy a lot of Godzilla films, but I've yet to see anything overcome the 54 film.

Is it something I would enjoy? Hell yes! I love nothing more than a Godzilla who is terrifying, sadistic, seemingly unstoppable, "more frightening than I ever thought possible."  The question I keep asking myself is, will it be solo or not? I personally want a solo film. It's been 32 years since the last, that being the 84. 84-2014 is 30 years but add this year and the next. Anyway, Godzilla started off as a monster of pure nightmare-ish hell on earth. It's something that I enjoy the most. I love Godzilla fighting other monsters as well. I just like Godzilla being a killer, a (God.)

News is very slow right now. However, come September or October, we should hear something then. There's so many things to speculate at this point. All I know is if Toho can make a Godzilla film like the 54 film in 3 months, then they should be able to pull off something monumental and spectacular for next year.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 6:38 PM

GMAN2887 - How interesting! I was not aware of the fact that he was held back in his depiction! I recently watched the Gamera Three and you are quite right; it does depict some extremely gory images - especially the first instance in which Gamera burnbs and mutiliates the Gyaos! Hmm, indeed; I wonder just how much freedom Higuchi will be given! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 6:40 PM

HUGE-BEN - I could not agree with you more! Our lines of thought are coterminus! :)

Durp004

MemberBaragonJun-26-2015 7:14 PM

Personally I wasn't a fan of the series. I know a lot of anime fans really like it some considering it the best series ever. To say the least it starts out really strong but tempers down as it goes. If you ever saw the series Lost it's somewhat similar in the way more questions keep piling up with almost no answer or end. You also have to watch the movie End of Evangelion after you finish the series as the series ends in one of the most horrible endings I've ever seen, with you simply thinking, "what the hell just happened" after the credits role. Since This is somewhat rectified in the movie I'm guessing it was due to the poor funding the show had.

So overall I'm probably one of the few people who would say not to watch the original show. Recently it's been released in movies, which I haven't watched and probably won't. I'm sure some people will recommend it highly though so maybe it's great and I just missed the point seemed a bit pretentious to me to be honest though.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 7:32 PM

DURP004 - Thank you very much for this information; I will certainly consider your words should I choose to watch Evangelion. I was not aware that so many people enjoyed the series! How neat! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-26-2015 10:44 PM

I for one like the show, but the recent movie adaptations (Rebuild of Evangelion) seem a bit more... "mainstream"? There's less ambiguity and more action pumping through the movies which begin to diverge from the series after the first one.

I still recommend watching the series as it is a landmark anime whether one likes it or not-- The stock footage gets a little grating, but the movies fix that for the better.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-26-2015 11:33 PM

GMAN2887 - How excellent! I will certainly take your words under advisement. If I may ask, how long is the series and when did it first air? :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-27-2015 12:14 AM

It first aired in the mid-90s I believe. There's around 25 episodes, give or take. So it's not a long series. But I do recommend watching the film End of Evangelion as the true finale. It was practically made due to the negative reaction to the series' end.

The Rebuild of Evangelion movies will consist of four films. The first three have been released, but it looks like the fourth and final film will be further stalled by Godzilla. They're not a straight adaptation of the anime series, so it would be worth seeing both and looking at them as two seperate entities that go about different ways of telling the same story.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-27-2015 12:48 AM

GMAN2887 - Interesting. I find it odd that there was such a negative response to the ending sequence. If I may ask, which do you prefer with regards to a) the ending, and b) the pair of series? :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-27-2015 12:54 AM

I certainly prefer the movie ending over the series ending. There was too much ambiguity left in the air by the end of the series and I was more satisfied with the film's conclusion.

As for which series I prefer, it's a tough call. I typically introduce the movies to people these days because it tends to get them into the material more gently. I like to look at them as companion pieces: More interesting to compare to each other than standing on their own.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-27-2015 1:04 AM

GMAN2887 - Fascinating! Is there a theme to this series and the accompanying films? Moreover, is there a metaphore prevalent throughout? I ask this because (not to make a gross generalization) the vast majority of Japanese films and shows I have had the pleasure of viewing typically run heavy with subtle plot threads typically drawn from ancient mythology. I absolutely adore the style, and am curious if Evangelion follows in the same vein. :)

Durp004

MemberBaragonJun-27-2015 5:01 AM

The show has a lot of references to most types of religions, christianity takes the front seat for the most part with visuals and names. Of course according to some people who worked on the show these are simply there for asesthetic look rather than having meaning, while others say it does. Basically every character suffers from some type of psychological or sociological condition apparently because Anno was going through a deep depression while writing this. Ironically of all the conditions the characters displayed I didn't really see depression as one of them.

Depending who you ask and where you look there are some sites that list a variety of undertones that the show has, while other sites go more with my idea that the show is just pretentious and people looking for deep meanings within it are digging deeper than they need to go. Both sides have points, so it's up to the viewer really to decide where they stand with it.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-27-2015 1:57 PM

DURP004 - Now that is quite interesting! I will certainly have to look further into this series! I greatly appreciate your insights! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-27-2015 5:05 PM

@Huge-Ben

Your words regarding Toho Godzilla 2016 express exactly what I want to see and experience with this film. With the directors we have and their words regarding the subject and the genre, I am confidant that we'll see a momentus, startling movie, something that will be quite remarkable.

I do not expect a kiddie film, or a movie without heart that caters, in a calculated way, to specific demographics. This Godzilla should be rather dark, a cautionary tale with fantastic effects and that look that tokusatsu imbues whatever it touches. I would expect Godzilla's presence, or even the threat of his return and appearance, to influence the narrative even when he's not in the scene. A sense of something approaching, inexorable, that cannot be comprehended or defeated, is what I would like to feel when things start happening, and his return is confirmed.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-27-2015 6:20 PM

@Jamaal,

There is nothing more to me than getting that solo film. Like I said I enjoy the hell out of these other Godzilla films. They are fun, entertaining, spectacular, etc.

I really love Godzilla when he is solo. I know that the original Japanese masterpiece Godzilla 54' is overrated in the fan base, but, it's how Godzilla started and the way he needs to be. Whether he is fighting other monsters, he needs to show the symbolism of just how dangerous he is. Like Gmk, Mothra vs. Godzilla 64 and raids again. He was nearly unstoppable in those films. 

From what I've heard and read, Toho seems to be competing with legendary. If that's happening, then to me it would make much more sense for that solo film in my opinion. They will not be able to outdo the special effects, but they can provide a more detailed story, and monster action with out the cut scenes.

I feel like if they do compete with each other, then we could get an American release like 2000. Speaking of 2000, I found Godzilla to be something else that I enjoyed. He wasn't necessarily a hero, nor a villain. He killed Katagiry, caused some destruction, and left behind the sea of fire. 2000 is my 2nd favorite of the millennium series.

As long as they push each other and make things right, then we should be in really good hands. Shinji Higuchi really likes to pull out something different with each special effects that he creates for the different films he has worked on. His special effects in Gamera trilogy were absolutely delicious. He did Gamera right and made him with more powers then he had before, so, I'm wondering how much he will give Godzilla. He may not give him more powers, but he damn sure can make his atomic breath much more destructive than ever before. His explosions in the first Gamera film of the 90's came from his mentor Teruyoshi Nakano. So, he has learned from a master and has become a master. 

I'm really hoping for the best, hell we all do. However, we won't know anything until news starts pouring out.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-27-2015 8:03 PM

HUGE-BEN and JAMAAL - I certainly hope we are given new information soon! I simply can not wait for any snippets they are intent on releasing in the future! My hopes are extremely high for this film! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-28-2015 6:04 PM

Hopefully, one of the things to come out of the whole phenomenon of the Legendary Godzilla, is a renewed sense of pride on the part of Toho regarding Godzilla specifically, and the genre and tokusatsu generally. They do not have to emulate western style special effects films. Toho and Japan, have something that is unique to them, which originated in their land and is one of the defining aspects of their culture. And it starts with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This gives this narrative, which affects the world, its weight, rendering it worthy of respect and attention. With this in mind, the potential for a moving, engrossing story as the backdrop to the spectacle that is the advent of a giant monster, is immense. There is so much that can be stated, symbolically and actually, with this film, that it is staggering.

This is one of the many reasons why the fan in me craves a Japanese Godzilla, and fervently.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-28-2015 6:28 PM

@Jamaal,

Your words of wisdom just really make me feel a connection from a fan point. The Japanese Godzilla is our Godzilla. That means everyone's. What will this Godzilla represent? What metaphor could they add to him besides the atomic bomb? What kind of message will this film deliver? There's so many questions with no answers that we keep speculating about. Remember the nightmare Gamera from ionas dream? What will Shinji Higuchi do to this Godzilla? What path are they taking? 

I'm hoping for the absolute best. I don't see a kiddie film either. 

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-28-2015 6:59 PM

"The Japanese Godzilla is our Godzilla. That means everyone's."

@Huge-Ben:

Exactly. Because of the way it's made, and the origin of its story in human tragedy, there is something innately accessible about the Japanese Godzilla. It's kind of hard to explain. Or, perhaps, it defies explanation. The homemade nature of its filmmaking and effects makes the Japanese Godzilla 'close.' I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I do not feel that way about the Legendary film, as much as I enjoyed it (which was a lot). It seems so distant, with its budget, big studio and corporate backing. This doesn't mean that they can't make a good film; they did. And, they will, God willing. But, as a fan, the Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi made film already has a special place in my heart. 

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-28-2015 9:22 PM

"They do not have to emulate western style special effects films. Toho and Japan, have something that is unique to them, which originated in their land and is one of the defining aspects of their culture."

God almighty; quoted, screened and tweeted for truth.

Listen, I'm not sure how carried away we should get with claiming the 2016 film will have an uber-dark, brooding atmosphere-- It won't be a kiddie movie, but I don't think we should take for granted it will be 2 hours of the 2014 movie's proof-of-concept trailer. There's just too little information out there.

But Jamaal's quote is something that I DO think we need to put hope and faith in. Even if this turns out to be the modern Godzilla vs. Megalon, for an extreme example, Toho should be proud of tokusatsu. They should continue to push it without believing it's inferior to Hollywood's current effects style.

This is Japan's movie, Japan's franchise, Japan's cultural icon. Let it be something unique and empowering to what it came from.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-28-2015 11:21 PM

^Exactly.

It should be a full Japanese, tokusatsu-inspired restating of Godzilla.

I feel everything is in place for this: the directors, the reception given to the Legendary film, even that film's success, all of this seems to point to the desire to make a great, thoroughly Japanese Godzilla, with no apologies.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-28-2015 11:27 PM

I hope everything that is, and will, take place with regard to the production of this film is being meticulously recorded and filmed. I want to see as much of what is going into this film as possible.

A summer 2016 trip to Tokyo would be just what the doctor ordered.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 4:03 PM

@Jamaal,

If I owned a computer, you sir would be getting a hundred applause gifs right now. But, to heck with it. "Applauds endlessly."

Gman2887 beat me to quoting and tweeting your replies above. No one I have ever came across has showed the power and meaningfulness of this great franchise. I salute you sir. You should join me and Gman2887 on Twitter if you're not too busy sometime. We'd love to have you there. We do live commentary on these great films whenever we can. I'd be honored to have you join. :)

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums