Godzilla Movie

What exactly is with all the hype of Godzilla 2016?

1551 Views26 Replies
Forum Topic

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 2:08 PM

I have been observing a lot of comments from certain members, and they all seem to be hyping up Godzilla 2016 as if it will be a god among Godzilla films.

The film has a great director? Yes, the film looks to be an awesome take on Godzilla? Yes! Is it going to be the best Godzilla film ever? I don't really know, but a lot of people are making it seem like it will equal Godzilla 1954 in darkness and brooding.

Godzilla 1954 will never be equaled, really enough said. It will never be equaled because of the reason of the Atom bomb, and the darkness at the time it was made. And some fans do not understand that Godzilla 1954 was not about Godzilla killing people, it was about the consequences of Nuclear Weapons, not a killing machine.

Now to be clear this is not intended to insult anyone, i am just wondering why a lot of people are overhyping this film. It is not like Godzilla has never returned too Japan, take the 98 disaster. If that had been a success they're would not be the Millenium series most likely, but it was a failure and Toho brought back the pretty much dead in Japan Godzilla, and that gave us some pretty good movies, but none of them were extremely fantastic were they?

What is too say this film will not be the same type of movie as Godzilla 2000? Which was overall fantastic and loved by fans, but really was not one of the greatest G films of all time.

Good grief.

26 Replies

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 2:46 PM

What exactly is with all the hype for Godzilla 2016? Answer, it's the Japanese Godzilla. It's where Godzilla was born and where he belongs. Because of the Japanese Godzilla, we have had 30 movies to his name. (Not that I count 98 but, GINO.) He has spawned a legendary universe including Gamera, Ultraman, gorgo, etc. With no Godzilla nothing else would exsist. The same could be said for Godzilla if it weren't for the 1933 classic king kong.

The hype is there. We have it in our grasps. We wanted Shinji Higuchi to direct the special effects ever since the Gamera trilogy.Godzilla 98 was part of the reason why Toho made Godzilla 2000. They tried to win over the fan outcry because of how bad 98 was received. Will this be anything like 2000? I doubt it. If Shinji Higuchi can do Gamera justice, he is sure to do the same with Godzilla.

Will it equal Godzilla 54'? No. However, they can at least attempt it. Who's to say they won't make a film better than any other Godzilla films? Or, who's to say worse?  As excited as I was for Godzilla 2014, I grew more eager and more excited about this news on the upcoming Godzilla 2016 film. 

Godzilla 54 does carry the messages about the atomic bomb and the dangers of radiation. The fact is, Ishiro Honda applied that to Godzilla making him what he is today, tomorrow, and forever. The 2016 film has many of us including myself, grasping for bitter news on what this Godzilla will be. What many of us during the anticipation of Godzilla 2014 were expecting this monumental Godzilla film that looked like Godzilla was going to be the force of destruction from 1954, yet, we didn't get that. Those trailers were very misleading. 

The Japanese Godzilla is our Godzilla. That means everyone. We look at him with awe, shock, fear, intimidation, fun, lovable, entertaining, and exciting. We have watched him go from nuclear threat to run of the mill monster on the loose to hero to anti hero and back to nuclear threat. All films are lovable. We all hold very many close and dear to our hearts, yet there are some that we could care less for. When Godzilla is spoken, the immediate thing that comes to mind is the Japanese Godzilla. So many out here grew up with so many of these wonderful films. Whether it be the showa, the heisei, the millennium, or even the American films. This is what I love about Godzilla. He can be passed down from generation to generation for years to come.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Duratok

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-29-2015 2:49 PM

I can absolutely understand why this movie would be getting G-Fans excited. I'll list 'em out for ya.

1) It's the first Toho-made Godzilla movie in over ten years.

2) It will be a return to practical effects, something many Godzilla fans hold near and dear to their hearts.

3) The two directors are incredibly talented, have some solid work history backing them up, and they're HUGE Godzilla fans.

Now you brought up the original 'Gojira'. I haven't seen anyone compare this movie to that, but then I'm not as active on these forums as you are. I haven't seen anyone talk about G'54 as being anything but an analogy for nuclear weapons. It's kinda Godzilla 101 stuff. Everyone knows it at this point.

When people talk about it being a dark and broody movie though, that's not just them making crap up. The directors themselves said that's the tone they're going for. Of course, Gareth said the same and it turned out to be more like a late-era Showa film, so who knows.

Also I think it's a bit presumptuous to say that the original film can never be topped. It is absolutely possible. Is it likely? Probably not. But I'd never limit it and say 'No, never gonna happen'.

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 3:00 PM

^ I meant never be topped in terms of its true to heart message. And Ben, Godzilla is of course Japanese. But the Japanese Godzilla is pretty much no different then the American Godzilla, they both share the same idea so having Godzilla be made in Japan, is no different then having a G film be filmed in Canada.

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 3:07 PM

Lol. You're funny. Tell that to the millions about 98.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 3:32 PM

^Ben i am not trying to start an arguement, but just because almost all the Godzilla films are made in Japan does not make the films a Japanese Godzilla. It is a film, it will always most likely find away too reach other countries.

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 3:56 PM

Do you hear yourself when you talk? "Just because almost all the Godzilla films are made in Japan doesn't make them a Japanese Godzilla." It's where it originated from. Other countries have tried using the same formula with films like yongary, reptilian, and gorgo.

I'm not waging war either. Say Godzilla was made in Canada instead. No offense to anyone Canadian. But, would it be the same? What better country could give birth to this legend? Godzilla 54' was a movie made in the right place at the right time in the right environment.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-29-2015 4:16 PM

GorillaGodzilla,
I'll try to give you the most thorough, researched and comprehensive answer. The knee-jerk reaction is that fans did the same thing with Godzilla 2014, so I don't really see why the hype is surprising. No it likely won't be as good as the 1954 film, as we've learned from overhyping G'14, but here's why the new movie is so exciting:

1) Goji-con: A group of Toho executives and film critics have been established to oversee the future of the Godzilla series. This is unheard of in Japan. It happens a lot with American productions, but isn't exactly status quo for Japanese cinema. It shows how much more seriously they're taking the production compared to the last 40 years or so.

Now for your question, "What is too say this film will not be the same type of movie as Godzilla 2000?" Here's why:

2) Toho has gone outside their studio to find talent: This hasn't happened very often. Most of Toho's Heisei and Millennium series films were directed by Toho Assistant Directors who were promoted just to churn out Godzilla movies. (Takeo Okawara = 4 movies, Masaaki Tezuka = 3 movies) The same goes for special effects directors. Many of the Millennium series SFX directors were simply assistant special effects directors or assistant cameramen.

Anno and Higuchi are seasoned, talented, proven and sought out talent in Japan. Acquiring them isn't easy and they weren't just "promoted" to churn out a Godzilla flick. Their involvement shows how serious the project is being taken.

3) The old guard is gone: The producers, writers, directors, effects directors and general crew from the Heisei and Millennium series are gone. Unlike when Godzilla 2000 came out, which still featured much of the old production crew from the Heisei era, this is a complete make-over. We shouldn't expect a style, feel, attitude or look of what has come before. This is arguably the most fresh crew for a Japanese Godzilla movie since 1989.

And likely the most exciting element:

4) It's Godzilla and toku. This is where Godzilla belongs. Tokusatsu is Godzilla's symbolic baby. In America, he's merely a pauper to Hollywood effects. In Japan, he's the king of Japanese special effects. For years and years Godzilla has squeaked by with inferior results to Gamera and Ultraman. With Higuchi finally behind the special effects (a man most fans have wanted to do the effects for Godzilla since 1995) this is Godzilla's best chance to outshine what's come out recently in tokusatsu.

And to clarify--

"It is not like Godzilla has never returned too Japan, take the 98 disaster. If that had been a success they're would not be the Millenium series most likely..."

This has long been a misconception. And now that we have an American Godzilla movie that Toho sees as a success, and they're STILL making their own Godzilla movie, we could argue your statement is false.

According to Kieth Aiken's article, "Toho was simply exercising a clause in their 1992 contract with Sony Pictures that allowed them to make their own Japanese Godzilla movies, separate from TriStar’s. Toho currently has a similar agreement with Warner Bros. and Legendary, and new Japanese and American Godzilla movies are both now in development."

Aiken's research goes further:

“The shape of the American version of Godzilla was so different from the Japanese version that there was a clamor among fans and company officials to create a Godzilla unique to Japan,” said a company spokesman.

So basically, like the Legendary Godzilla, there was some momentum with the Godzilla property and Toho decided to capitalize on that-- regardless of how terrible the movie was. The same thing is happening now, except the difference is how much time, effort and seriousness is being put into the new project-- As well as new filmmakers taking charge.

The last quote I above implies that Toho had not decided to move forward with Godzilla 2000 until after Godzilla '98 was released. It was a move made late in the game and announced December of 1998. Godzilla '16 however, was confirmed to have been in the planning stages since 2012 at the latest. (Likely late-2011 due to the time table they asked Anno to direct.)

So in actuallity the difference between how Toho is treating this and how they did Godzilla 2000 is night and day. You don't have to dig far to understand why.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 4:25 PM

What this wonderful gentleman said above me. 

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 4:28 PM

^Thanks G-Man for the explanation.

And Ben i am not saying Godzilla is not Japanese, i am saying Godzilla has exceeded to a point where he is no longer a solo Japanese creature. I can understand you saying him, "Returning" to Japan will be great for the fandom, but really it is just cause Toho makes Godzilla in Japan. If Toho had made Godzilla in another country Japan would not be this golden place for Godzilla, it truthfully is about Toho and where they chose to make they're Godzilla films after 54.

Good grief.

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 4:30 PM

Also Gman, has it been announced that the film will be Tokusatsu?

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 4:32 PM

Gg, 

Considering the new attack on titan trailer, I'm pretty sure it will be tokusatsu style.

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 4:46 PM

I am sorry, i was not around here or really on any forum during the G 14 hype, so i do not know how bad it was.

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 5:00 PM

You got nothing to be sorry for. Hell, I was so excited to know that Godzilla was making a come back. There was so much stuff going on around here it confused me. I thought this was a site full of adults. Didn't expect children here. All the talk about monarch and Mutos drove me insane. When the movie came out I loved it for awhile but, as I studied the movie my taste for it dropped. I love the book more than the movie itself. 

Either way, we have both Japanese Godzilla and legendary Godzilla films coming our way and we shouldn't say what's better than the other, we should be rejoicing that Godzilla is here and is staying for awhile! This is a great time to be a Godzilla fan! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-29-2015 5:00 PM

GorillaGodzilla,
With Higuchi behind the effects, it will likely be traditional tokusatsu. He's mentioned his satisfaction in working with practical effects before.
He's still using miniatures, suits and puppets for Attack on Titan. The latest trailer shows how far he's pushed the effects style and combined it with CG. If the new trailer released last week is any indication Godzilla '16 won't look like anything from the Heisei or Millennium movies: Click here.

This next video gives a stronger indication of how Higuchi puts together his effects shots.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 5:03 PM

That trailer was awesome! We are in good hands for the special effects, we got nothing to worry about except the story right now.

GG

ModeratorGiganJun-29-2015 5:08 PM

Ben so you did not enjoy Godzilla 2014?

And Gman i understand, i am not too much a fan of Attack on Titan so i would not have known.

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 5:10 PM

No, no. I enjoyed it then and now. But, my taste for it isn't the same. 

Therizinosaurus Rex(aka Kaijusaurs)

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-29-2015 6:24 PM

Becuz why not?

Therizinosaurus for JW2!

Durp004

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 6:31 PM

It's a new Godzilla movie they all have hype. This is no different than the hype for G14, in fact it may be less.

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonJun-29-2015 6:37 PM

Just speaking for myself, I'm excited for a few reasons.

I wasn't real happy when the sequel for the 2014 G was announced for 2018. That was four years to have to wait, hoping it will be worth the wait. G 2014 was announced in 2010, so the same amount of time elapsed. The new Japanese version gives me and us less of a wait to see our favorite monster. Now, within four years we'll have two movies to look forward to.

Having said that, I had been wanting to see an American studio's take on Godzilla for quite a long time, and honestly was excited and had my hopes up for both iterations. I felt let down both times. Between the two films, a combined budget of almost $300 mil, and neither quite got it right. For this reason alone, I'm happy to see Godzilla done in his homeland.

I'm not as familiar with these filmmakers as some other folks here, but I do feel that Godzilla needs to be in the hands of fresh, hungry, creative and young filmmakers and effects artists. That is how they will move the character forward. If it's going to be tokusatsu, then the people behind it need to have a fresh eye. They can't simply rehash what has come before. If that's the case, we have almost 30 films to reference, along with countless others. No need to just do what's been done. 

Lastly, I simply like the direction they are talking about going with this one and taking Godzilla home, both geographically and metaphorically. It's sounding like one scary kick-ass Godzilla, which I'm just tickled about!

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-29-2015 7:41 PM

GORILLAGODZILLA - I believe the hype is brought about by one very simple factor: no matter the yeaqr, generation or country, we will always want Godzilla! His stature in film and culture far exceeds even the reach of his mighty shadow. Regardless of who brings him to the screen, Godzilla possesses a unique trait that most film stars would sell their souls to possess: an absolutely unwavering fan-base and unshakable position within the motion picture industry. Regardless if some of his performances have left something to be desired, we G-Fans will always come back for more - and cheer as we hear the approach of our beloved monster! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-29-2015 8:06 PM

^This really is actually another pure way to look at it. Lets say the old guard WAS coming back for a moment. No Anno. No Higuchi. And they hadn't been planning it for the last 3 years.

Instead Tomiyama is still the producer. Okawara or Tezuka are the directors. Say... Suzuki is the special effects director and they only decided to do it months after the release of the 2014 film.

While the crew may not be that exciting it's STILL another Godzilla movie. Worth every ounce of hype as the last. 2014, Final Wars... you name it. It's no less of a movie and hard work, scripting, casting, planning, etc, has gone into it.

Even without the miraculous exceptions I listed on the previous page, a Godzilla movie's a Godzilla movie.

But as for why specifically fans are hyping it in such a different way? Well, that goes back to the reasons on the previous page. This is so far away from the same situation as Godzilla 2000 that to compare the two is to admit not having all the info. (Or to not have an understanding of the people behind it.)

Also, moved to Upcoming Godzilla Movies Forum. Not sure why this is in the fan forum.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJun-29-2015 9:23 PM

Thanks to everyone for the topic, the discussion and the posted video, Gman.

You know, after seeing the trailer, I may able to see my way through to being comfortable with Shinji Higuchi has director of special effects ;). If he works hard, he may just have a future in tokusatsu filmmaking. 

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJun-29-2015 10:02 PM

^Yeah, ashame the guy hasn't found work until now.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-29-2015 10:45 PM

GMAN2887 and JAMAAL - Hear, hear! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJun-29-2015 10:52 PM

Ugh! I dod not spell "year" correctly in my second to last post! What in the blue bloody blazes is "yeaqr"? I am such an oaf! :(

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums