Godzilla Movie

MechaGodzilla's possible appearance in the Legendary Series

4608 Views13 Replies
Forum Topic

Gigan923

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 5:45 AM

It is still not confirmed whether or not Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan will appear altogether in the 2018 movie or be spread out across all three. However, if they do all appear in the sequel then it leaves room for another classic monster to return for the third and final movie. And as I am aware, a contender for Godzilla's opponent in the third film is MechaGodzilla. But, as is the case with any old kaiju returning, there are quite a few questions to be raised about this idea.

Since MechaGodzilla has been seen as both a force of destruction utilised by aliens, and a robot created by humans to assist them in destroying Godzilla, either of these could be used as directions to take this mechanical menace. However, if MechaGodzilla is used as an evil force then I don't think aliens should be the ones using him. Remember, Legendary's Godzilla universe is a more realistic one so unless they have some VERY clever and logical ideas up their sleeves, the idea of aliens in the franchise doesn't really work, atleast for me. So if he is evil, who might be using him? Secondly, MechaGodzilla's arsenal has been constantly updated from film to film, so if this is going to be a fourth model of him, the possiblities for what weaponary he may possess and use are quite exciting to ponder over. And finally, will this MechaGodzilla design have a unique name or title like Kiryu did?

Please leave your own opinions and ideas to answer these questions! :) 

13 Replies

NateZilla10000

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 10:26 AM

I highly doubt Mechagodzilla will ever touch the Legendary series. As fun as he is, he is not realistic in the slightest. No giant robot really is.

(Granted we're talking about behemoths that beat each other up, but I digress)

For instance, on the topic of MechaG:

1. Why build a giant robot in the image of the creature you're fighting? That only makes it harder for the designers to shape the complex mechanics to a specific mold.

2. Why put so many powerful weapons onto a single unit? That only reduces the enemy's targets to one. Why not build a bunch of the high powered weapons on multiple smaller devices like a high-powered jet or tank to overwhelm the enemy?

3. What is the point of adding a tail to a robot? It's literally just dead weight. The creature is too large and limited in motion to use it effectively in battle. Even putting a weapon on the tail is pointless; when is Godzilla ever going to outmaneuver it enough to surprise it from behind?

Like I said, Mechagodzilla is a a lot of fun. I enjoy watching him. But he doesn't have a single realistic thing about him. If he were to get into the Legendary series, the cheese factor would go through the roof; something Gareth is not aiming for.

I think it's much more likely to see Biollante or Destoroyah in the third. But even then, there have been absolutely zero talks on the kaiju appearing in the third, so it's all a waiting/guessing game until more info shows up.

GG

ModeratorGiganJul-08-2015 12:10 PM

Actually, Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra were confirmed for Godzilla 2. Can't post a link but they're is footage from comic con of Thomas Tull head of Legendary saying, "This is what we have planned for Godzilla 2." And the the trio appears but that wasn't in the footage just spoken of.

Good grief.

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-08-2015 12:21 PM

I think Mechagodzilla could certainly fit in the Legendary series, should they approach him correctly. I also think that, should Legendary purchase more Toho monsters aside from the three they already have, Mechagodzilla is by far the most likely candidate.

To justify Mechagodzilla's construction, perhaps humanity has been devastated by the monsters that appeared in the last two films, and many nations are concerned for the safety of their people should more monsters appear. So, a joint international project is started to create humanity's own monster to protect them from future monster attacks. When designing the machine, scientists come to the conclusion that the form of Godzilla is the perfect physical form for battling other monsters. So, possibly using the Godzilla skeleton seen in the beginning of the first film as either a framework or simply a blueprint, Earth's scientists construct Mechagodzilla, a giant robot designed to defend the human race from future monster attacks.

I don't like the mentality that "Mechagodzilla is too unrealistic, Legendary won't even consider him." That logic could be applied to every single monster ever, and we wouldn't even have the first film if Legendary thought that way. It's not about realism, it's about trying to be believable and grounded. Gareth Edwards' exact words were "What if this stuff really happened?" not "What if this stuff was more realistic?" Legendary just needs to find a believable way to justify Mechagodzilla's existence. 

Will they use Mechagodzilla? There's no way of telling at this point. Is his inclusion impossible? Not at all. In terms of popularity and marquee value, Mechagodzilla ranks just after Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Rodan, and I'm sure Toho would be thrilled to sell the rights to Mechagodzilla to Legendary, should Godzilla 2 prove a success. And from a purely business standpoint, Legendary would be wise to include him, as he provides a lot of marquee value and certainly would make a lot of fans happy.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJul-08-2015 1:26 PM

As crazy as it sounds, what if king Ghidorah lives through the 2nd film and what if monarch has used the bones of the fossilized Godzilla to create mechagodzilla? If this were to happen then mechagodzilla would team up with Godzilla to take on Ghidorah. That's something that has never been done before and would cause for a great film if done correctly.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganJul-08-2015 3:57 PM

^A Kiryu approach is plausible.

Besides, how scientifically advanced will we be by 2020? More than right now. In that time, a MechaGodzilla will be more plausible than it was in 2014.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganJul-08-2015 3:57 PM

The Super-X would be the most realistic mech/ship.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-08-2015 4:12 PM

GIGAN923 - Welcome to SCIFIED! It is always quite agreeable to see new faces! You have presented an incredibly thought-provoking topic! With regards to the possible inclusion of Mechagodzilla to the Legendary pantheon of monsters, I find myself torn in two distinct directions. On one hand, I believe the concept of a giant, mechanical monster might be too campy for more serious-minded movie goers - all but precluding Mechagodzilla's involvement. On the other hand, however, if presented in the right light, Mechagodzilla could be a very viable and serious entity within the films. Perhaps Monarch has been running biomechanics simulations and tests upon the pertrified remains discovered in the Philipines - having grafted a mechanical exoframe to the bones for data harvest and analysis in an attempt to better understand Godzilla's physiology. To that end, the process could be somewhat similar to that employed by motion-capture studios. From there, the sky is the limit for possibilities centered on the eventual rise of a "Mechanized Godzilla"! Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your ideas with us, and, once again, welcome to SCIFIED!

KManX89

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-09-2015 9:21 AM

@NateZilla: actually, virtually no kaiju would be "out of the ordinary" for this franchise with Ghids being in it, including MechaGodzilla. A robot Godzilla is objectively more realistic than a giant, three-headed space dragon that can shoot lightning from his mouths and can fly seemlessly through the airless depths of outer space, just sayin'. 

And if you wanna argue polycephaly for Ghidorah, sorry, but that's not realistic, either even on those grounds. Many waaaaaaaay smaller multi-headed creatures have trouble operating 2 or more heads (or have trouble functioning, period) IRL... and we're supposed to believe that an, I'm guessing 120k ton critter can move all 3 of his bus-sized heads without issue? So... yeah. 

Also, a Legendary Godzilla constructed using the bones of the Godzilla species found in the cave in G14 is definitely plausible. 

wolfguy

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-09-2015 5:36 PM

Building a machine around brittle bone remains is utterly stupid and just asking for failure. It was given a pass in Godzilla x MechaGodzilla because the Millenium films were already bat shit insane.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-09-2015 7:59 PM

WOLFGUY - Hahaha! Well, that was rather blunt! ;)

KManX89

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-12-2015 10:45 AM

^Nevermind that we already create things like that IRL, ever hear of animatronics? Same overall concept. 

But hell, even if you don't wanna go that route, they could simply use the skeleton as a blue print, experiment on it, etc, etc. There's several different possibilities, and again, NOTHING would be too out-of-the-ordinary with Ghidorah being in this "grounded" franchise from Legendary.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusJul-12-2015 11:00 AM

I return after many months of leaving here. Let's leave it at that. Anyways, moving on!

It's not the fact that Mecha-Godzilla is any less realistic than the likes of King Ghidorah and whatnot. It's the fact that, on the Human side of things, the concept just flat-out doesn't make sense. Monsters are easily out of our control. They evolved that way for who knows what reasons, but we can accept that, because we can accept that nature can surpass whatever limits we think it's supposed to have, since we don't know everything, and mystery is half the fun.

But us? That's a different story. First of all, Humanity as of Godzilla (2014), is at a level of technological advancement identical to the real world, and we're not even close to making something like a gigantic mechanical doppelganger. That isn't gonna change in under a decade. Second, there are too many real-world variables to account for when it come to the idea of a giant robot being built: resources, energy efficiency, maintenance, even its purpose has to be called into question, because what exactly would possess Humanity to want to build a giant robot when it can barely make working Human-sized ones?

I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely ludicrous, and vastly overestimating the abilities of mankind. Heck, in my own series, it isn't until over half a century from now that the possibility even exists.

michael scott clement

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-22-2015 3:46 PM

I would like to see either mechagodzilla or spacegodzilla to battle godzilla in godzilla 3.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Gigan
87% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
74% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums