Godzilla Movie

Is Godzilla 2016 going to be like Godzilla 2014\'s Original Concept?

4816 Views56 Replies
Forum Topic

Godzilla316

MemberAnguirusSep-12-2015 2:45 AM

I remember seeing the First Trailer for Godzilla 2014.

Admit it, this trailer had a much, much different feeling from the actual film. We knew at the time he was going to fight other monsters but if what if we didn't?  With the theme, music, and how Stenz is talking to the soldiersin this trailer, Godzilla is being portrayed as an Ancient Force of Destruction, one that has come to abolish Man's arrogance. He seems indestructible, with power beyong anything man has yet to see, one that has destroyed all of their hope, even at 0:44, 0:48 and 0:55 in the trailer, it might be thunder, but what if it was portrayed as Godzilla's arrival, simply his giant footsteps rumbling for miles and miles, being heard even from 30 000 feet. But the movie? Every Godzilla can agree the movie was great, and was definitely better than 1998, but it still lacked the feeling of this first trailer. The feeling of this trailer was really awesome, and with all of that said...is Godzilla 2016 going to have this feeling. 

With the recent footage of extra's running away in terror, hopefully it will. Godzilla should be a truly terrifying creature, both in motive and design. I have no doubt that G '16 is going to be truly faithful and going to return Big G to his destructive roots, but i still would have loved to see G '14 like this. However if he was, the plot would have drastic changes, perhaps Mankind still with numerous attempts to kill Godzilla, with Godzilla finally snapping back, and destroying a few cities *cough cough 'Tokyo' cough* Man continuing to bombard Godzilla and creating weapons to take him down with multiple failures, until more creatures aka Mutos arrive, and leave man helpless, with their last line of defense now being Godzilla. 

I believe G '14 would have been a better movie with Godzilla being portrayed differently, and I believe G'16 should and most likely will continue what was the "Original Concept" for G'14.

Do you guys agree with my opinion?

Remember that chap, I forget his name, he climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. They asked him, they said, "Why did you go up there to die?" He said, "I didn't, I went up there to live."
56 Replies

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-12-2015 9:18 AM

GODZILLA316 - I whole-heartedly understand your desire for 2016's Godzilla to possess the same tone as the original trailer for Edwards' Godzilla! That sense of tension and underlying dread - knowing that something monstrous was on the brink of laying waste to Mankind's civilization - was absolutely thrilling! I Certainly hope that Toho's newest iteration of Godzilla will be the nuclear nightmare that we all desire to see! :)

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganSep-12-2015 2:23 PM

I hope so.

(Also, I thought G14 would be Godzilla destroying cities and then accidentally saving the world by killing other monsters.)

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-12-2015 4:17 PM

Godzilla 2014 was portrayed in the best way he could have, I don't understand people wanting him to be evil, it's insane. Godzilla 2016 at this point we know is going to be using a destructive demonic Godzilla, some G-fans want this for some reason. I prefer Godzilla when he isn't exactly evil, but isn't exactly good, where he still invokes fear and mass hysteria without him blowing up entire city's, and that's what Godzilla 2014 did exactly. I thought at-least you Godzilla316 agreed with that.

Good grief.

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-12-2015 6:17 PM

@GorillaGodzilla  I am totally agree. GOdzilla never had been evil (except in GMK), just a destructive being, entirely oblivious about the chaos he causes during his rampages.

I said this before, but I do not know if trying to bring back the tone from the 1954 film be helpfull for the franchise. Those were other times, where the horrors of the war were present, specially the atomic bombs. Ever since Godzilla represented them, he did not gain any shympaty from the public;in the film everyone were cursing him and wanted to se him dead, as well the audience. I do not want to see the audience from the newer movies yelling: KILL THAT BASTARD!!!

Being honest, Godzilla gained his popularity with the monster fight formula, even being the good guy in showa series. Obviously he cannot be cartoonished as Toho did in those films, Tanaka regreted that because Big G films weren´t taken seriously after that in worlwide media; but the concept used in Heisei films could be brought back: A terrible threat and a great menace to humankind, but turns into the only hope when a worse threat appears. In that way he was still a feared figure but still sympathetic, because at the end saved the day, Guillermo del Toro said Godzilla could be spared for the destruction thanks to that even when we know the military units that he destroyed were occupied.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-12-2015 9:50 PM

To be frank, the way Godzilla was portrayed in the 2014 film is what helped kill the series in the 00s and made the Heisei series get so stale and repeatitive. Godzilla being some form of an "anti-hero" has been pushed about as far as it can go even before the 2014 flick.

Seeing a dark, destructive and villainous Godzilla is actually something that's more rare and to be honest it was the reason most people went to see the 2014 movie in the first weekend. I think that's what most audiences today actually want. Just look at the 2014 film's first weekend box office compared to the next. (Although admittedly X-Men did have a lot to do with that.) And take into consideration that GMK was the only film in the Millennium series to hit $20 million at the Japanese box office.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 9:49 AM

I'm getting sick of people praising the legendary, millennium, and heisei series as the absolute greatest Godzilla films in history when they are not. Gmk put Godzilla back to his destructive, fearful, intimidating perspective and kids don't like that. Gmk is one of the greatest Godzilla films as it is a late showa Godzilla film in its own right.

This new Toho Godzilla film is going to pay tribute to the 54' original and even the 84' Godzilla films as those are the two Godzilla films besides Mothra vs. Godzilla 64', and Gmk that represent Godzilla as a metaphor, a fearful, intimidating, terrifying monster that terrorized movie goers. That's the kind of Godzilla that many were expecting with 2014 and didn't get it. Now, with Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, if the rumors are holding true, will be that Godzilla. It will separate Tohos from legendary's in a huge way. So, if Godzilla is terrifying next year, deal with it.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-13-2015 11:27 AM

^I don't understand why you Ben get so uptight with Godzilla being an anti-hero. One of the most popular times for the Godzilla series was the Showa, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster with Godzilla as a anti-hero an all time classic, Destroy All Monsters once again an anti-hero. Him being a villian is actually rare, Godzilla most of the time is an anti-hero and G-Man I do not agree at all with him being an Anti-Hero representing the lowest point in the series.

The Godzilla in G 14 is not entirely portrayed as good as some of you say it. He did indeed destroy the Golden Gate Bridge, he demolished nearly all of San Francisco; he got in and did his job and left, he didn't asked to be praised as the savior, that was humans- please stop with this him being good, he was portrayed as the only thing left to stop the MUTO's, essentially he was exactly like Heisei.

And Ben, I know I'm going to be forced to deal with it- but I still believe him being a villian is not the, "norm" for Godzilla.

Good grief.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:05 PM

So, the fact that Godzilla during his first ever reign he wasn't supposed to be a menace? During Godzilla raids again, king Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, the return of Godzilla 84', Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah 91', and Gmk he was never supposed to be a villain? 

Godzilla represents the horrors of the atomic bomb and what destruction it can cause and even represented how dangerous radiation is. Ishiro Honda envisioned Godzilla to be destructive, to be fear and death itself. It was because of Daieis Gamera that influenced Toho to make Godzilla more kid friendly. Had that never happened Godzilla would probably still have been a destroyer. Ghidorah the three headed monster had Godzilla as a menace for a bit until Mothra convinced both Rodan and Godzilla to take on a greater threat.

Destroy all monsters Godzilla was under alien control destroying New York city and even all monsters converged on Japan. If humans didn't intervene with the hostile control over the monsters, we would all be dead.

Being destructive, intimidating, fearful, and a villain was the "norm"  for Godzilla. 

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:12 PM

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the p#ss out of these other films, which would make me a liar if I said I didn't. I've read so many complaints about how legendary didn't do Godzilla right in g-fan magazines. I agree for the most part. They took away his atomic origins, gave him baby teeth, elephant feet, the list goes on and on. However, what legendary did do is bring Godzilla back to the big screens and got alot more fans. 

All I'm saying is, Godzilla represents the pandoras box of August 6, 1945. He was made as a warning to mankind to extinguish that fire.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:14 PM

As Ishiro Honda once said, "if we can't look past the miniature sets, and the man in the rubber suit and look the creature dead in the eye and extinguish that fire, we are all naive."

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-13-2015 12:22 PM

^I thought you liked the Legendary design? The Elephant feet make him even more badass, and his bite-force is probably better then Heisei's for the simple reason he was built as a predator and not a creation of man, yet even with all of that he still is a medaphor and can destroy nearly all of the world, if it wanted to. But yet, it doesn't and thats the type of Godzilla that he should be. The days of Hiroshima are over I have to say, Godzilla is not about that anymore and he hasn't truly been since Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster.

Also, with that list you gave a few comments back completely skipped all of the Showa where he was an anti-hero, which far and away exceeds where he is a straight up villian. Most of the Heisei actually, in-fact basically all of the Heisei excluding 84 he is portrayed as the last hope to save the world.

Still shocked that you insulted the 2014 design.

Good grief.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:41 PM

As long at the upcoming movie doesn't do a total reverse with advertisements I'll be fine. Don't show a villain in the trailers and a hero in the movie. If he's a hero, which I highly doubt based on what we know but anyway, show he's a hero from the get go, if he's a villain show he's a villain, don't set up false expectations.

All I ask really.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:45 PM

"The days of Hiroshima are over." How do you explain the war going on now? History always has a way of repeating itself.

He didn't become a hero or anti-hero until Gamera came along. Even in the Gamera trilogy, Gamera was also more anti-hero as well. He did save the children but he also took away a lot of lives in the process.

I'm not sure what you mean by he was the last hope to save the world in the heisei films as Godzilla vs. Biollante, it was Biollante that was created to defeat Godzilla. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla was resurrected to defeat king Ghidorah but was flew away with mecha king Ghidorah because Japan realized that Godzilla was unfriendly. Godzilla vs. Mothra, it took both Battra and Mothra to beat him while Battra died in that process. Super mechagodzilla was built to rid the world of Godzilla for good but, Rodan sacrificed himself to revive Godzilla when super mechagodzilla succeeded in killing Godzilla. Then in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, he could have wiped out the entire planet with him but he didn't. His power revived Godzilla Jr.

Yeah, I skipped the later showa films because he was a hero. But, how much of a hero was he in monster zero and destroy all monsters? 

Insulting 2014? Because I spoke about the baby teeth and the elephant feet? His feet did cause him to move quicker. 

If you could explain to me what Godzilla should represent now I'll greatly appreciate it. 

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:46 PM

Yeah. Couldn't agree more there Durp004. 

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 12:53 PM

The advertisements really did screw G14 over. Had we been shown the Godzilla we got I don't think people would be as mad about the finished product. The trailers may have garnered attention, but they led to a bigger disappointment to the average moviegoer when they saw the movie and saw they were mislead, leading to an overall bad taste being left in the mouth of a lot of people, but I've gone over how horrible and misleading I found the marketing for the film so many times feels like I'm beating a dead horse at this point

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-13-2015 1:17 PM

"essentially he was exactly like Heisei."

And there's the issue. We see this kind of Godzilla so often that it's become boring. Yeah, it was enjoyable in the 60s when it was the first time we had seen Godzilla in such a way, but that eventually evolved into a superhero archetype. He didn't sit as an anti-hero for long and even when he did he was often being manipulated by aliens to destroy the world.

It's also funny you argue against a darker character with the phrase, "The days of Hiroshima are over" because the 2014 Godzilla film is more about that than most films in any genre. It's just that the movie redirects Godzilla's character as a force of nature, but the film itself is still probing at the dangers of nuclear proliferation. The only difference is that the MUTO's are taking over Godzilla's original stance and it looks like Godzilla's been whitewashed to fight against everything he originally stood for. In a sense the 2014 Godzilla is the ultimate Americanization, the opposite of what the monster initially was:

In Japan he's the ultimate warning of nuclear proliferation and atomophobia. In America, the country that instilled that fear in Japan, he's symbolically the graceful defender of American nuclear proliferation come to set things right for the country by destroying the MUTO-- The monsters who now symbolize atomic disarray. That's not right. Even in Godzilla vs. Megalon the super-heroic Godzilla was a ravaged victim of nuclear tests seen in the first 2 minutes.

I think this is a wrong that needs to be corrected and returning Godzilla to a villianous, destructive monster that is ultimately feared is something that can help. In today's cynical world it seems like a very apt approach in comparison and what many audiences were banking on with the 2014 film originally.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-13-2015 1:41 PM

G-Man basically just stated what I have been trying to say. The, "norm" for Godzilla has been the eponymous anti-hero, and Legendary didn't stray far from that if at all. For some reason however, the singular word "Godzilla" is symbolized with a demonic lizard destroying the world, when the majority of Godzillas are good so to say. I am just saying, G14 accomplished what it set out to be, and that was a Godzilla who could destroy the world if he wanted to yet didn't because he couldn't care less. And because of this I don't disagree with the trailers, Godzilla was still an anti-hero he was the only thing capable of decimating the last of the MUTOs, and he accomplished his mission.

It isn't like afterwords he went to the surface and partied with the military xD.

Good grief.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-13-2015 1:47 PM

"The, "norm" for Godzilla has been the eponymous anti-hero, and Legendary didn't stray far from that if at all."

I didn't say it was the norm anywhere in my post. But had I, I believe Legendary went at it the wrong way, metaphorically.

"It isn't like afterwords he went to the surface and partied with the military xD."

No, but subtext can scream louder than visuals. He might as well had.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 2:08 PM

"And because of this I don't disagree with the trailers"

Reading that line made me want to go headbutt a wall.

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-13-2015 2:13 PM

^You really get antagonistic with everything I say. I have never seen people analyze my posts so thoroughly and cherry-pick ever word I say that you're in disagreement with.

Good grief.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-13-2015 2:28 PM

Actually it's on the contrary I only look at threads that mention G14 do to the sheer enjoyment I get to see what you have to say about them. I don't usually comment unless you say something as next level as you did, you can pull up examples of the last time I did it if you don't believe me, since it's been quite a while.

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-13-2015 2:36 PM

^I can't tell if that's bad or good xD.

Good grief.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-13-2015 4:22 PM

Godzilla is and always should be the focal point of cautionary stories concerning the ramifications of Man attempting to control power with which he has no business tampering. It is quite true - the times of Hiroshima have long since passed. However, the scars remain - and shall forever. If we cast aside the meaning behind a monster, its very soul is lost. Godzilla's essence, every fiber of his being, was woven to ensure that we as a species do not forget the nightmares we can create by ignoring boundaries that should not be crossed. There is danger in forgetting why a monster exists - just as there is danger in attempting to forget and/or change history to better suit a more peaceful tone. A volcano may be dormant, but that does not mean it has changed into a soothing waterfall. It will erupt again; and the destruction will well remind those whom forgot its presence. Godzilla is a much stronger metaphorical presence in the world today than many might think. The nuclear age is far from past; the monsters are simply dormant. If you do not heed the past, you will find yourself repeating it - and the bitterness of such an event is not a thing any of us would like to experience.

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-13-2015 10:40 PM

Something Real

You are describing pretty well what was reflected both in GMK and Godzilla PS3/4, at least in part. But I need to say something about the points talked about this topic. First, the meaning of the origins of Godzilla 1954 as film were to reflect the post war horrors caused by the Atomic bombs, but let´s think: who threw the bombs? I always thought everyone took the Openheimer reading in the trailer for G2014 out of context, specially with the phrase "I become death,the destroyer of worlds". When he read the message, the worker of Project Manhattan was referring to himself, not to the bombs, because he produced them. This message applies perfectly to the original 54 film, because Godzilla´s wake occured after bombings and testings, resulting in a giant angry monster whom absorbed a great amount of radiation and afterwards went rampant in TOkyo. Again, whom threw the bombs?
What I mean, in the original context, Godzilla just as the bombs he symbolized, was the result of the human kind efforts to "progress", in the foolish attempt to become stronger unleashing horrors against itself, spreading sorrow and death in the process. That was the message behind the original GOdzilla 1954 film. Big G was not the destroyer of worlds, IT IS HUMAN KIND ITSELF; that´s why in the ending it is said if we do not stop to use the atomic energy in this way, more monsters could emerge. Even GOdzilla was a victim of it as well: absorbed a high amount of radiation, was seriously affected, and what he used to be was matter of the past, even his scale desing is based in the burning scars caused by the radiation; not to mention he died at the end and nobody felt pity about it. GMK wanted to reflect how people neglected the memories about their past, again blaming the errors that human kind commits; but it was just a vague reference, did not bring a powerfull message like the 1954 had done, even for these times.

Again, I would like to see a movie as in Heisei style, because the monster vs monster formula was what worked the best, and I do not like to see Godzilla as a true bad guy; but if you want something like the first film, it should be focused in what we have to blame ourselves (shamefully there is a long list), not too much how horrible and terrible the monster could be, only if he is reflecting our Mr. Hyde within us.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-14-2015 12:24 PM

GOJIRA19 - You have made many excellent points! I greatly enjoy thought-provoking discourse! I certainly agree with you on the premise that Godzilla is the result of Mankind - a nightmarish mutant brought forth by humanity's foolish tampering with atomic power. However, as he is a product of horrifying power, should not Godzilla himself be nightmarish and implacable? I fully understand and agree with your stance when you state that Godzilla is also a victim of the atomic age; however, he is also a punishment. In my opinion, a punishment is not a thing that sometimes acts as a windfall in the midst of crises. To have Godzilla act as Earth's silent and apathetic guardian is rather difficult to grasp when he is the byproduct of mishandled science and technology. Should he not be a warning against Man's hubris? Even so, I must say that you make a very convincing and interesting case for Godzilla being an anti-hero, and you have certainly given me much to consider! :)

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-14-2015 1:25 PM

The point is, Godzilla has nearly always been an anti-hero- and 2014 is no different. It's shocking how more then a year later we're still debating this film.

Good grief.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-14-2015 4:49 PM

I could see Godzilla playing an anti hero in an American movie from an American perspective. The atomic bombs and the use they had in Hiroshima were somewhat of a greater of 2 evils. Japan at the time was fanatical. There were times when during WWII that civilians comitted suicide when Japan lost those battles due to the way they viewed their country. Japanese soldiers were known to have sub par weapons in comparison to their American counterparts, but were so hard to fight because they were very much willing to die for their country, to the point dieing was almost expected by them. The atomic bombs and their use were a way to end a bloody war that would have been extremely bloody that would have lasted much longer and costing more soldiers. So a quick even dangerous way to end the war was through the bombs. These of course ended up being a bigger threat in the coming decades. 

An American Godzilla could very easily be seen like Godzilla was in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. He was used to take down a dangerous threat, but ended up being an even bigger threat himself. 

This of course would work from a western perspective in a movie, but Japan Godzilla and his roots more closely resemble death and destruction to the point of it still effecting them and their children today due to the ill lasting effects of radiation.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-14-2015 4:59 PM

"The point is, Godzilla has always nearly been an anti hero and 2014 is no different. It's shocking how more than a year later we're still debating this film."

Because the trailers mislead everyone into thinking Godzilla was going to be that old DaiKaiju of death and destruction. As Gman2887 said, it's been done to death and even becomes boring after so long. 

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-14-2015 5:54 PM

^Exactly. We argue around and around why a darker or superhero Godzilla could be superior to another anti-hero Godzilla, but the fact is it's been done to death. And outside some mistepped, metaphorical issues the new Godzilla has as a character, 2014 really didn't bring anything new to the table we hadn't seen before.

I do want to note that every Godzilla era or new timeline began with more destructive, villianous roots before going anti-hero or superhero. The 2014 Godzilla is the first to break that trend with rather mixed results.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-14-2015 6:30 PM

Uh Gman2887, you do realize that Godzilla 2000 was anti hero right? I mean, he didn't care for mankind, but he did do battle with Orga and even after saving the day, still left behind the sea of fire. That's the reason why Godzilla 2000 is my 2nd favorite millennium series film.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
SasquaDash
SasquaDash » Anguirus
89% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
71% To Next Rank
Moldovan0731
Moldovan0731 » Baragon
28% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums