Godzilla Movie

Building a classic Godzilla collection from scratch?

5308 Views9 Replies
Forum Topic

TestUserZX

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-29-2015 6:06 AM

Hey guys.  I'm having a heck of a time with this and I'm hoping you folks might be able to help.

A friend of mine is a huge Godzilla fan.  I know he has a ton of movies, if not all of them, on VHS.  Alas, he has no VCR.  I'm not going to humor the idea of living in the past for now... so for the holidays I wanted to try and gather up as many classic movies as I could on DVD and/or BluRay.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about Godzilla... and even less about which Godzilla releases/remasterings are of good quality.

I was wondering, if there's a bored soul out there looking to do their good deed for the day... and maybe help me gather links to eBay/Amazon listings to, ultimately, end up with as many quality Godzilla releases as possible on my doorstep by December?  I gotta think that would make my friend's day.

For example... would these be a good start?

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Destroyah-Spacegodzilla-Ghidorah-Rebirth/dp/B013P6PEUG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1441132301&sr=1-2&keywords=godzilla&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A2650305011%7C2650304011%2Cp_n_date%3A2693529011

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Mega-Set/dp/B013P6PES8/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1441132301&sr=1-1&keywords=godzilla&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A2650305011%7C2650304011%2Cp_n_date%3A2693529011

It seems like there are a ton of movies, and Amazon/eBay seem to be offering up a pretty wide swath in terms of collections, formats and quality.  Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to go too nuts, like importing from Japan or anything... but I don't mind branching out to other sites if needed.

9 Replies

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-29-2015 2:27 PM

You can start with them. I am not pretty picky in DVD features nor additional content, so I would be fine with these; even though here there is an article that criticize the presentation because are just reissues from previous releases just packed together. But there are other options here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Godzilla-Collection-Yuriko-Hoshi/dp/B000VXWK86/ref=pd_sim_sbs_74_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51gXX5b8GUL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR119%2C160_&refRID=1P4ZD12246EQ30A032PY

Here is shown some of classic Era films, the best of them is the original Japanese release of GOdzilla 1954. Worth to get.

http://www.amazon.com/Destroy-All-Monsters-Kubo-Akira/dp/B00JB08O76/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1446153519&sr=1-1&keywords=destroy+all+monsters

Here is the bring all them out from 1968. Very amusing film

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-29-2015 2:35 PM

But unfortunately other movies like Godzilla vs Hedorah, Gigan, THe Sea Monster, Mechagodzilla (1974) and the son of Godzilla  are out of print, and usually can be gotten now at high prices. Other point is King Kong vs Godzilla, a great one, but only you can get bootlegs if you want the real Japanese version. GOdzilla 1984 is not in DVD here, but you can look the R3 DVD with English subtitles on Ebay coming from Hong Kong, original release, no bootleg

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-29-2015 2:58 PM

UPDATE: I just found there are re-  releases for Vs Hedorah, Gigan and the Sea monster. Silly me.

And here is the link for :

http://www.amazon.com/All-Monsters-Attack-Ishiro-Honda/dp/B00125WAYQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1446154860&sr=1-3&keywords=godzilla+revenge

IT is the most criticized film, not only because is cheap for using footage of older movies (like the shows where memories are remembered) also because various hate the childish style. Personally I do not see the problem here, if you watch it in the proper point of view: the fantasy world of a kid whom likes Godzilla and the other monsters; in fact, it can be considered the events in the film are occurring IN OUR UNIVERSE, not in GOdzilla universe. Furthermore, most of us raised watching Godzilla at young age like Ichiro, the boy in the movie, so what´s the problem with that? People overthinking they prefer serious films, but someone told me we are ridiculous beings specially if we take everything TOO SERIOUSLY, so we have to learn to enjoy the little joyfull details of life.

Also look for GOdzilla vs Megalon and Vs Biollante, and you get them all!!

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-29-2015 11:04 PM

TestUserZX,
Do not, not, not, not, not buy the sets in those links you posted for your friend. They're cheap bundles of older, low quality discs that Sony is releasing to make a quick buck. Excellent for casual fans, but not quality releases by any stretch.

That first set includes two films presented in fullscreen and the rest are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen--It will not automatically refit itself to the screen. These movies also do not include the fill credits, which doesn't sound like a terrible thing, except that there's footage that rolls during the uncut versions of these films' credits. Additionally none of them include Japanese versions with English subtitles. For some fans they prefer the dub, but when there's Japanese/English subtitled versions available, why settle for less?

The second set is better, but there are still issues. One of the films (Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II) does not include the films credits and there's some footage going on in the background of the uncut version. And another film (Godzilla 2000) includes only the heavily edited American version--Which many fans enjoy perfectly fine, but again, both the American cut and Japanese versions are available so why settle for less?

Below is a list of the absolute best releases of each Godzilla film, most of which are on Blu-ray. Unless noted, they all include extras, Japanese language versions w/ English language versions and are re-mastered by either Toho, Criterion or Sony. They also include links to buy them on Amazon:

BLU-RAY:

Godzilla (w/Godzilla: King of the Monsters) – Criterion Collection Edition -$22.85

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Universal - $9.49 (note: Japanese ver. not included. It is not available in the US)

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (Ebirah: Horror of the Deep) - Kraken Releasing - $6.99

Destroy All Monsters - Media Blasters - $11.79

Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (Godzilla vs. Hedorah) - Kraken Releasing - $6.99

Godzilla on Monster Island (Godzilla vs. Gigan) - Kraken Releasing - $6.99

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Media Blasters - $11.79

Godzilla vs. Biollante – Lionsgate - $7.99

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah / Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth - Sony - $11.99 (note: does not include end credits which are unavailable in US)

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II / Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - Sony - $11.99

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah / Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - Sony - $6.49

Godzilla 2000 - Sony - $6.99

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack / Godzilla against MechaGodzilla - Sony - $7.97

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. / Godzilla: Final Wars - Sony - $6.99

Godzilla (2014) - Warner Brothers - $12.19

The rest of the series is only available on
DVD:

Godzilla Raids Again – Classic Media - $5.00

Mothra vs. Godzilla – Classic Media - $5.00

Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster – Classic Media - $5.19

Invasion of Astro-Monster (Monster Zero) – Classic Media - $5.91

All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge) – Classic Media - $5.93

Terror of MechaGodzilla – Classic Media - $5.91

And the following are
OUT-OF-PRINT ON DVD:
(So the prices of these films will be hiked.)

Son of Godzilla - previously Sony - $45.99 (note: no special features)

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla -previously Sony - $53.98 (note: no special features)

And the film Godzilla 1985, aka, The Return of Godzilla has never been officially released on DVD or Blu-ray due to legal reasons.

I don't know which films are your friend's favorites, but on quality alone some must haves are the Criterion Collection Godzilla (w/Godzilla: King of the Monsters), all of the Classic Media released DVDs (because of their great quality and very extensive extras) and, just because Media Blasters' discs tend to go out-of-print quickly, Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Megalon.

The Sony Blu-ray releases are a mixed bag, but they still are better than the DVDs (especially the ones you posted). Of the Sony Blu-ray the Godzilla vs. Destoroyah / Godzilla vs. Megaguirus set is likely the best looking--Mostly for the first film in the set. The Kraken Releasing discs don't have a lot of extras (just trailers of the films), but the remastering is quite excellent. Meanwhile, Godzilla vs. Biollante is a fan favorite, but the disc quality is par at best. However it's also one of the most special features heavy discs on the list.

Hope this helps on your quest.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-29-2015 11:10 PM

P.S.

I wanted to add that all the DVDs listed (which were released solely by Classic Media) can be found in this collection here:

The Godzilla Collection (Vol 1 & Vol 2) - Classic Media - $22.17

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

TestUserZX

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-30-2015 7:09 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the information guys!  I know this guy, and I'll be honest... image quality and extras probably aren't too important to him.  He's been living with VHS's that I think he recorded off TV over a decade ago (doesn't even have a VCR anymore) or trying to find streams of the movies online, so as long as he can tell what's going on, I'm guessing he'll be very happy to have as many Godzilla movies on disc as possible.  He's a pretty bread and butter that way.

That being said, he has a Blu-Ray player (though IMO, he doesn't use it enough!) and if I'm doing this, I might as well go the whole nine yards.  Especially when it comes to the older flicks where proper remastering is so important.  And considering I love Blu-Ray, if not only for their exceptional durability, I'm hoping it'd be a collection he can hold onto for a good long time.  And even if he'd probably prefer I save the money over having the "special features"... I'd bet good money he'll dabble in them, if given the opportunity. ;)  Doesn't realize what he's missing until he has it.

Do the Blu-Ray and DVD sets you posted include ONLY the Japanese language/english subtitles, or does it have english dubs as well?  Or is it kind of a mixed bag?  As long as there's some English component, I'm sure he'll be happy with it... having both would be ideal of course.  Considering his views on anime, I think he'd prefer the dub.  Even if they're downright bad. XD

Thanks again guys, I've loaded up my Amazon cart.  Just a little hesitant to pull the trigger.  Might see if I can find a really badass looking Godzilla statue for his desk too while I'm at it. :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaOct-30-2015 8:48 AM

Every movie in the list I posted include both Japanese language and English dub releases. (Unless noted otherwise.) In a few cases it's not as simple as two language tracks, but entirely different cuts of the film in general. (Criterion's Godzilla, Godzilla 2000, almost all of the Classic Media DVDs.)

They all have extras to some extent, but the Godzilla movies aren't exactly known for their spectacular net of special features from movie to movie. So he'll get about the same per film (typically an original Japanese trailer of the movie).

gojira19

MemberMothra LarvaeOct-30-2015 10:14 PM

If you are interested in other collectibles, I have some spare ones for Godzilla and other monsters just here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogkr00OAaCY

I also create custom jobs upon request

Durp004

MemberBaragonNov-01-2015 6:14 AM

Wow those are some heavy purchases must be a good friend

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
GojiFan99
GojiFan99 » Mothra Larvae
85% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums