Trending Articles
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong 2020
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2 2019
Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla 2014
Featured Content
BREAKING: Godzilla vs. Kong 2020 release date DELAYED by 8 months!

BREAKING: Godzilla vs. Kong 2020 release date DELAYED by 8 months!

Scified2019-11-25 15:45:58https://www.scified.com/articles/breaking-godzilla-vs-kong-2020-release-date-delayed-8-months-59.jpg
16,029 Reads0 Upvotes36 CommentsAdd A Comment+ Upvote

Prepare for nuclear fallout G-Fans... Warner Brothers and Legendary have officially delayed the release date for Godzilla vs. Kong (2020). According to Deadline, Warner Brothers have decided to push back the Godzilla vs. Kong release date to November 20th, 2020, nearly 8 months past its it's originally projected release date.

After the under-performance of the second film this past summer, Godzilla: King of the Monsters at $110.5M stateside, $385.9M, Warner Bros. Studios boss Toby Emmerich mentioned at Produced By this past summer, that the threequel “might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie”.

Although this news is disheartening, it's not all that surprising. The apparent lack of marketing and promotion for Godzilla vs. Kong was certainly raising some eyebrows and causing confusion among G-Fans worldwide. At least now we know the cause for the radio silence.

Despite obviously being disappointed that we'll need to wait even longer to see the Godzilla vs. Kong trailer (which was originally expected to drop next month), we should at least appreciate that Warner Brothers and Legendary are taking this film seriously and delaying its release in an effort to deliver the best possible version of the film. There is quite a high expectation on this film and its director Adam Wingard after all.

Hopefully this leaves ample room for Warner Bros. to bombard us with plenty of Godzilla vs. Kong marketing material in the meantime.

As we learn more, we'll keep you posted! As always, keep it locked to Godzilla-Movies for the latest on all things Godzilla and the Monsterverse cinematic universe!

This article was written By Chris and published on 2019-11-25 15:45:58

Related Godzilla Articles
36 Fan responses to BREAKING: Godzilla vs. Kong 2020 release date DELAYED by 8 months!

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 3:48 PM

Oh, that's just great. Now this puts it directly in the path of another Disney/Marvel movie, The Eternals. I don't think it'll necessarily be a shotgun scenario like KOTM suffered (coming between Avengers: Endgame and Aladdin before it, and Spider-Man: Far From Home and The Lion King after it), but even so, this really puts it's box office chances in jeopardy.

*sigh* Well, if it means that we'll get a better constructed movie than Godzilla: King of the Monsters–which, as much as I enjoyed the film, I will concede that it had a lot of film-making flaws–then I suppose it'll be worth the wait.

But still, a full year...

Titan of Water #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 3:56 PM

As disappointed as I am, this is for the best. November shouldn’t be that crowded of a month besides The Eternals as Jurassic Kaiju mentioned above.

Gmkgoji #TeamRodan

Nov-25-2019 3:56 PM

How....unfortunate.

Titan of Water #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 3:57 PM

I’d rather they make sure they’re confident in their product than rush through.

MinecraftDinoKaiju #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 4:02 PM

Well, looks like the countdown extends. Let the storm commence.

Gomi: Ninja Monster #TeamMothra

Nov-25-2019 4:12 PM

Gosh dangit, Can't I have good Godzilla news once in a while? I sincerely hope this is will result in a positive outcome, like Sonic, but the sheer number of delayed movies that came out worse than they seemed to be doesn't make me the most optimistic.

Gomi: Ninja Monster #TeamMothra

Nov-25-2019 4:12 PM

Gomi: Ninja Monster #TeamMothra

Nov-25-2019 4:13 PM

Side note, does anyone know why comments repeat like that sometimes?

dk

Nov-25-2019 4:16 PM

As good as some of these films are, they just don't seem to do well at the theaters. The Alien franchise is the same way. Audiences like super heroes and 50 different versions of Spider Man and Bat Man.

At any rate, I hope the extra time is used to make a great story with memorable characters. I already am confident Kong and Godzilla themselves will be epic if KOTM is an indicator.

dk

Nov-25-2019 4:18 PM

Side note, does anyone know why comments repeat like that sometimes?

You might have clicked whole the original post was still loading- give it time.

Chris #TeamMothra

Nov-25-2019 4:52 PM

Double posts occur when you tap the "Add Comment" button twice quickly. I'll work on a fix to prevent that.

As for the release date push, yeah, I get that it's for the best. I was just getting anxious to see some footage finally, so I am a tad disappointed.

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 5:02 PM

Who knows? They might still end up dropping a teaser at that CCXP event or whatever. I mean, KOTM's trailer dropped in late 2018.

I just hope we don't get oversaturated by the marketing again...

Titan of Water #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 5:03 PM

@JurassicKaiju14 yes the marketing for KOTM was atrocious.

dk

Nov-25-2019 5:07 PM

Over marketing and viral videos- great way to set expectations too high.

Gomi: Ninja Monster #TeamMothra

Nov-25-2019 5:13 PM

dk & Chris:

Oh, I'll watch out for that going forward, thanks.

KingKaijuGojira #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 5:29 PM

Another year?! Oh come on! *sniff* I'm crying now.

(takes deep breath)

Perhaps it's better this way. I better movie will make the wait worth it.

macumbalove #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 5:59 PM

I'm gonna try not to be a dick here.....Doesn't the fact that this movie has to CONSTANTLY run from competition point out how little the GA wants these movies? if people all over the world wanted this, it wouldn't matter if Avengers was in front of it. I don't have a good feeling about this at all.

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 6:41 PM

I don't think it's that nobody wants the film. I mean, monster movies are always going to play second fiddle to superheroes, but I don't think it's that nobody wants it. I think they're just trying to find a place where it can be more noticeable, as well as giving themselves time to make sure they get it right.

TheLazyFish #TeamGodzilla

Nov-25-2019 7:59 PM

Reality is often disappointing...

dk

Nov-25-2019 8:56 PM

Either the movie needs more time in the oven or it's timing with other movies with similar release dates. Either way, it sounds like the movie might not be as strong to give the movie makers a warm fuzzy. It gives time to add re shoots and add general polish, but am sort of worrying that the movie might be good enough for its original date and it might get worse with being second guessed and re written to make it not very good.

Every movie doesn't have to be a block buster. It doesn't have to be an award winner, it just needs to be good.

Moldovan0731 #TeamRodan

Nov-26-2019 3:34 AM

I was hoping that if they would delay it it would be a 6 months delay at max so I can watch it before I'll have to make some decisions in my life, but oh well, it's still worth it if they're going to improve the movie.

KaijuWorld #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 4:36 AM

As long as we get some form of a teaser trailer, I won't be complaining.

Im Durp

Nov-26-2019 5:51 AM

Didn't initial filming wrap a while ago? This tells me HUGE rewrites are hitting it, and there will be a lot of reshoots.

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 6:15 AM

@Im Durp Perhaps, but I certainly hope not. The last time a Warner Bros. movie went through a lot of rewrites/reshoots, it resulted in people clamoring for a Snyder Cut, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, KOTM went through a pretty long production phase itself. Filming went from June 19 to September 27 of 2017, and the movie ended up being released in 2019. So maybe the delay is to give it a slot a little more out of the way of other completion so it'll be more noticeable.

KaijuWorld #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 6:25 AM

JurassicKaiju14, I really hope the changes are not too drastic, though massive reshoots don't always ruin a movie (Rogue One for example).

I think they have just taken their time to take the feedback from both fans and critics from KOTM and make the necessary changes to satisfy both groups. More character development, better fights (in the day PLS) and possibly some hints to the future of the Monsterverse as their might have been some plans made after GvK came near to completion.

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 6:37 AM

@KaijuWorld

possibly some hints to the future of the MonsterVerse

Actually, I'd rather them go the opposite approach and keep the movie as self-contained as possible, outside of referencing past installments. I'd hate for them to set up a bunch of potential plot threads, only to have them be abruptly ended by a poor reception/box office. I'd like for the MonsterVerse to continue, but if it does end with Godzilla vs. Kong (which really must be accepted as a very real possibility), I'd rather it ended in a neat and tidy manner.

And by the way, how do you tag a person's name in the comments like that? Just curious.

KaijuWorld #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 6:54 AM

Yeah, I really hope they don't do the whole plot thread thing. Having too many plot threads open before any plans are made is the way the DCEU and star wars went down. The Godzilla franchise has always been a franchise in which every movie works a stand-alone.

What I was referring to was how KOTM gave small cameos to Kong throughout, just showing off what other monsters are out there and what they are up to at the moment. The end-credits of KOTM is a good example of what I am referring to.

I tag others by copying the link to someone's account and then inserting a link with that person's name as the displayed text. Not sure if there is an easier way to do this.

Flyleaf-Rapt0r #TeamMothra

Nov-26-2019 7:21 AM

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just great. At least I hope it'll improve the movie quality (as they have more time to work on it)

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Nov-26-2019 7:45 AM

Im Durp,
It's really only enough time to get some minor reshoots or pick-ups, unless you're Justice League. (NOT the norm everyone.)

This movie still has 3-4 months less time in post than King of the Monsters did.

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 7:57 AM

KaijuWorld "I really hope they don't do the whole plot thread thing. Having too many plot threads open before any plans are made is the way the DCEU and Star Wars went down."

Agreed. Although the example that came to my mind first was The Amazing Spider-Man 2. That movie was apparently going to be the launchpad for not just TASM3 and TASM4, but also a Sinister Six and an Aunt May movie.

KaijuWorld #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 8:06 AM

Yeah, Sony seems to be good at desperate Cinematic universe attempts (*Cough* Ghostbusters *Cough*). Venom was a step in the right direction though.

TheGMan123 #TeamGhidorah

Nov-26-2019 12:51 PM

I do gotta wonder why November, though. Right now, July or August look like more promising months, what with little major blockbuster competition AND not having to compete with any of Disney's properties.

Any ideas why from those more in the know in the Hollywood business? Why would it need a whole 8 more months?

Super Godzilla #TeamGodzilla

Nov-26-2019 5:06 PM

Rather them take their time and do this movie justice. I want this to blow everyone away when it comes out, monster fans or not.

MinecraftDinoKaiju #TeamGodzilla

Dec-04-2019 12:36 PM

If it turns out to become a bad or disappointing movie, then yes it is. Otherwise, I don't think it's a mistake.

Get Your Godzilla Christmas Sweater!
Godzilla Christmas Seqter