Godzilla 2014 Sequel - Godzilla King of the Monsters - Film by

Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters releases in:

Godzilla: King of Monsters Officially Has a Director

Godzilla: King of Monsters Officially Has a Director

Last October we caught word that Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields would be penning the script for the now titled, Godzilla: King of Monsters. Following that announcement, there were rumors and misreports that Dougherty had been offered a seat in the director's chair. We clarified that this was a false alarm.

Since then, Dougherty and Shields have been in charge of Legendary Pictures' "Monsterverse" writing room and has apparently impressed the suits. Make way Godzilla fans. Variety confirms that Michael Dougherty is the next director in the Godzilla franchise. Dougherty's most popular directing credits include Trick 'r Treat (2007) and Krampus (2015).

The news comes hot off a local report that Godzilla: King of Monsters may be shooting this year in Atlanta, Georgia. If true, Dougherty may already be knee-deep in pre-production. Expect more information to start rolling in soon!

What are your thoughts on Dougherty directing the next Godzilla film? Let us know in the comments below!
Sources:
Variety
Monkeys Fighting Robots
Gormaru Island

Godzilla fas looking to discover more about the Godzilla sequel King of the Monsters are encouraged to join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla Movies Articles

New SH MonsterArts Godzilla 2002 Images

New SH MonsterArts Godzilla 2002 Images

Earlier this month Godzilla against MechaGodzilla star Yumiko Shaku and director Masaaki Tezuka announced an SH MonsterArts release of the 2002 Godzilla. For the film's 15th annive... Read More

11 Fan responses to Godzilla: King of Monsters Officially Has a Director

The King of the Monsters

Jan-23-2017 4:44 PM

This really gives me the impression that King of Monsters is a bit further into production than we had been previously led to believe. The reports of the film shooting in Atlanta this year seem a lot more realistic now. I'm cautiously optimistic about Dougherty, I've never seen Krampus or Trick 'r Treat, but have heard good things about both. I immensely enjoyed X2 and Apocalypse, which he also wrote for, and unlike a lot of people I also liked Superman Returns. The fact that Dougherty is also a Godzilla fan and has had success as both a writer and director, plus that he has evidently impressed Legendary with his work on the film so far, make me more optimistic for the film's future than I have been in a while.

With Tull's stepping down, this news is probably especially welcome now.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Jan-23-2017 4:57 PM

This makes me extremely happy as I was worried for a while. I didn't think the monsterverse was going to get scrapped but I was worried about the director. I honestly can't wait for the sequel and have been excited since leaving the theater after watching G14.

@The King of the Monsters

Both Krampus and Trick R Treat are amazing movies, which is why I'm very excited Michael is directing Godzilla King of the Monsters. I also agree that this movie has probably been in production for a while and Legendary just wanted to keep it a secret to surprise people. All in all I just hope that we get a poster or teaser this year for it.

jiger9899

Jan-23-2017 6:48 PM

@Godzilla 2014 Himself: We may get a poster or something similar for comic con this year.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Jan-23-2017 8:03 PM

@jiger9899 I hope so

RR44

Jan-24-2017 8:54 AM

something tells me that this 2nd movie is gonna be waaay better than the first..(I saw Krampus.. cool movie) I think there will be room for at least 3 more monsters in the sequel... and Ghidorah will be in the third film as Godzilla and Kong team up against him.. kinda like a Batman V Superman approach. Look how many monster reveals there are in the Kong trailers.. I count at least 4.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Jan-24-2017 9:05 AM

@RR44 Actually it was confirmed a while back that Godzilla King of the Monsters will have Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah.

RR44

Jan-26-2017 5:48 AM

@ Godzilla 2014 Himself.. yeah I know.. but will they spend the money to make the movie spectacular or will we get just bits and pieces of multiple kaiju ?

Jan-26-2017 6:05 AM

Throwing money at a picture never seems to guarantee anything. The key here, if the previous report about the movie shooting this year is on point, is time. As long as they take their time and have ample amount of it to fine tune everything in post and get desirable re-shoots along the way, it should turn out okay.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Jan-26-2017 9:13 AM

@Gman2887 Correct, which means that hopefully them starting to film in March is true. I honestly loved following the 2014 movie while it was being filmed so I can't wait to do the same for this.

Magara S&B

Jan-27-2017 9:23 AM

Finally

KoldWarKid62

Jan-28-2017 11:23 AM

Not familiar with his work, but really looking forward to someone else's vision for this. Give us that kick-ass Godzilla movie I've been waiting for!

Password

or Create an Account

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster . Providing the latest official and accurate information on , this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for 's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Your account has not yet been verified. Please check your email for the verification link to begin posting.

Please review our rules before sharing content

Use Your E-Mail: