Fans Online
57% Team Godzilla
12% Team Rodan
11% Team Mothra
20% Team Ghidorah
Godzilla NewsTrailersGodzilla 2 TrailerGodzilla ShirtsGodzilla shirtFeatured Topics

Godzilla Resurgence Maquette Unveiled at Nico Nico Super Conference!

Godzilla Resurgence Maquette Unveiled at Nico Nico Super Conference!

Nico Nico Super Conference 2016 is gearing up and director Hideaki Anno's latest film Godzilla Resurgence has a great presence. Twitter has flooded with pictures of a "ShinGoji" maquette at the event, giving fans a more detailed look at Godzilla's new, shockingly mangled and decidedly polarizing look.

Love it or hate it, the maquette's extreme detail gives us a more thorough look at the most mutated looking Godzilla design yet--Sporting what appears to be seven rows of spines and a massive, serpentine tail. There even seems to be a hint of inspiration from the initial, 1954 concept art of Godzilla's head resembling a mushroom cloud. Take a look below.

The final image seems to add more fuel to the theory that marine life has somehow been burned/melted into the tip of Godzilla's tail--Perhaps embedded by a nuclear blast?

With so many pictures rolling out it's hard to tell who's responsible for them. The initial batch appears to be from Takao Yoshiba and twitter @kuro_hikage. You can see more there.

What do you think of the maquette? Stay tuned for more from the Nico Nico douga Super Conference 2016!

Sources:
Takao Yoshiba Facebook
@kuro_hikage

This article was written By G. H. (Gman) and published on 2016-04-28 20:09:41

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters Articles

53 Fan responses to Godzilla Resurgence Maquette Unveiled at Nico Nico Super Conference!

KingKaijuGojira #TeamGodzilla

Apr-29-2016 4:24 AM

Woah. He is monstrous. Though, I'm not sure if I like him standing on his toes. I feel Godzilla had too much weight for that

Leto #TeamMothra

Apr-29-2016 6:19 AM

Looks like a nugget!

Chris #TeamRodan

Apr-29-2016 7:15 AM

This is unreal! Godzilla looks good in gold haha thanks for posting this up GMan!

Apr-29-2016 3:50 PM

Well, they promised a nightmarish, terrifying Godzilla.

And, at least maquette-wise, they came through.

I love it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it, God willing, in action.

Apr-29-2016 3:50 PM

Well, they promised a nightmarish, terrifying Godzilla.

And, at least maquette-wise, they came through.

I love it. I'm looking forward to seeing more it, God willing, in action.

Apr-29-2016 4:24 PM

I see the mushroom cloud-like head. Actually, I see a lot of the 1954 maquette in the ShinGoji. I hope we see and experience  more of a 1954 type of atmosphere in Shin Gojira.

I Meme Everything #TeamGodzilla

Apr-29-2016 4:43 PM

Could they give him his colors from the trailer?

Apr-29-2016 6:07 PM

I was hoping for a maquette, but man, this is huge! It's also excellent work. These photos have renewed my wish that at some point, we get to hear and see how Anno, Higuchi, Mahiro Maeda, and Takayuki Takeya arrived at this design and how it's related to the story. Maybe it will be discussed during or after the theatrical run. The influence of the 1954 concept drawings, maquette and suit are unmistakable. The very idea of a Godzilla film drawing so much on Gojira is itself intriguing. It would seem to go with some of the meanings of the title Shin Gojira. I wonder if this is an origin film, or is it part of the Gojira 1954 universe.

I want to thank all of those persons and organizations who've help to share these photos with us. The coverage has been great.

Apr-29-2016 6:10 PM

Last night on Twitter was fun. I have saved all the images of Shin #Godzilla to my phone.

With this exhibit, I'm even more hyped up to see this film.

Something Real

Apr-29-2016 6:15 PM

That is bloody marvelous! He looks utterly monstrous and unstoppable! :)

Apr-29-2016 7:01 PM

The ShinGoji is a design of extremes.

The relatively small arms, the really, really long tail that seems to be floating in the air behind him. And then the head reflecting the mushroom cloud design from the early concept drawings of Gojira (1954), as pointed out by Gman 2887,as well as the overall gruesomeness of the look. This really is, as Hideaki Anno said, a Godzilla that could only be designed and conceived of in Japan. I hope that we can be totally immersed in an authentically Japanese Godzilla atmosphere and experience. The trailer the maquette and statements of the filmmakers, and other people connected to the film, would seem to promise this.

Apr-29-2016 7:12 PM

Something Real said:

"That is bloody marvelous! He looks utterly monstrous and unstoppable! :)"

Yes. This really sums it up. I do not see this Godzilla as some sort of regional or national mascot. He looks really dangerous and malevolent. I'm anxious to see how he's going to be portrayed. I believe that a lot of creativity went into the ShinGoji, with a view to express elements and flourishes that are part of this culture and art form, something really Japanese.

Apr-29-2016 7:17 PM

Huge-Ben said:

"With this exhibit, I'm even more hyped up to see this film."

Me too. I could not be happier with these photos and the trailer. I have a really good feeling about Shin Gojira.

Apr-29-2016 8:36 PM

Here's a link to the blog, Minna no Eve Fan mentioned in the Anime News Network article. It is resplendent with pictures of the maquette:

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Apr-29-2016 9:34 PM

what I want to know is how he became that way. clearly he has been effected by a very large bomb.. but did they "try to kill it" ala Edwards film... or was it a rogue  nuke from a neighboring country that did the damage... and the Japs were caught off guard ? I think it's an Ok approach. in action.. he will probably not move like Edward's G... but it is quite horrifying to look at and its about time.. cuz the original was a horror film.

Apr-30-2016 6:38 AM

@jamaal,

This is what it was like being at the exhibit.

alextheburger

Apr-30-2016 7:16 AM

@leto

do you mean a chicken nugget

or a gold nugget

because i can imagine opening a bag of microwaveable chicken nuggets and pulling that out

Apr-30-2016 8:13 AM

Welp. If everyone wants to see more images, including you Jamaal, then here we go!

I don't understand why people don't like the design. I freaking love it!

Hope you all enjoy the images and the video I posted in my last post.

Apr-30-2016 8:18 AM

I don't think GG will like this but, I thought it was funny.

I Meme Everything #TeamGodzilla

Apr-30-2016 8:39 AM

GG will be pissed as hell.

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Apr-30-2016 10:11 AM

that pic  with the bro's.. disturbing.

Apr-30-2016 2:37 PM

@Huge-Ben:

Thanks so much for the video and the pictures. Man, this is some kind of Godzilla! It's great to see and hear these events around the time they happen. Someone on another board quoted Shinji Higuchi as saying the effects do include tokusatsu, thus debunking rumors of totally digital SFX being used for Shin Gojira. It was a translation from Higuchi's appearance at a panel during this Nico Nico event. It was good to read.

Apr-30-2016 3:13 PM

^

Right you are. I had a little bit of problems translating a certain picture I have saved that includes Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi to my smartphone. Thankfully, my friend at work helped out.

This was a true skeptical to behold. And, you're welcome Jamaal.

Apr-30-2016 3:16 PM

It's also been confirmed that Shin Godzilla has 7 rows of dorsal plates.

Something Real

Apr-30-2016 3:57 PM

HUGE-BEN -  Oh, wow! Those images really help to paint a more cohesive image of Shin-Gojira! I am very much looking forward to seeing what will be revealed in the coming weeks! It is all so very exciting! Thank you ever so much for sharing this with us! :)

Apr-30-2016 4:38 PM

@Something Real,

No problem. I have many, many, many more in my gallery on deviant art that I could show off but, I'm a little selfish. :P

I'm telling you and Jamaal to join Twitter. It's like a plague when Shin Godzilla news is brought about. Really fun stuff. :)

Apr-30-2016 4:49 PM

One of the pictures I would like to share is my new profile banner.

Apr-30-2016 5:33 PM

Actually, I'm on Twitter. And you're right. It's great volume wise. I'm trying to use it more.

Apr-30-2016 5:42 PM

@Jamaal,

What's your profile and username? I'm @thebigbadben90. I'd be honored to follow you.

Apr-30-2016 5:46 PM

@Huge-Ben:

It's Jamaal Abdul-Rahim @JamaalAbduRahim.

See ya around.

Apr-30-2016 5:48 PM

Saw your page. Very Shin Gojira-like. It's great.

Apr-30-2016 6:03 PM

Thanks for following back there pal. It's a fun way to stay connected. Yeah, Shin Godzilla is my favorite design now. It's just so monstrous.

Whenever you get the time to, check out the other images I've shared on Twitter. Even my artwork of KaosuGojira. Hope to see you around Twitter more often Jamaal.

Apr-30-2016 6:23 PM

^You know, the ShinGoji might just be my favorite too, after the ShodaiGoji.

These are great times. I'm looking forward to more news about the film, especially the story and plot. The trailer answered some questions, and allayed some fears that were the result of a drought of information. Now, it seems that the flood gates may be opening. The run up to the theatrical release should be a good one, God willing.

Apr-30-2016 6:31 PM

My favorite was always the 1991 Ghidogoji. Until I layed eyes on Shin Godzilla. Now, in this video, at 1:12-1:23, is it just me or did Godzilla's eyes follow us?

Apr-30-2016 7:22 PM

No; it's not just you. He's looking at us.

I just hope that Shin Gojira is being promoted with everything that Toho has. I have a feeling that it could be really great.

Chris #TeamRodan

May-01-2016 8:15 AM

@Ben, thanks for sharing more photos!

I love how at first many fans were rejecting the new design and now, many are loving it haha.

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

May-01-2016 9:42 AM

The maquette has no color because it didn't need to. It was the model used and scanned for the full CG Godzilla in the film.

May-01-2016 11:29 AM

@Chris Picard,

No problem. Be sure to check out the video I posted as well.

@Gman2887,

You're right. Many of my Japanese co-workers are saying that as well.

May-01-2016 11:30 AM

^Speaking of which: I wonder how much will Godzilla be fully digital in Shin Gojira? And, while we're on the subject: how does the three-man suit operation work? Anyone hear anything?

May-01-2016 11:34 AM

@Huge-Ben:

The video you posted is amongst my most watched YouTube videos, after the trailer, of course.

May-01-2016 7:43 PM

@Jamaal,

Toho is lay claiming that Godzilla is full cg. Yet, August Ragone has said the trailer and final product vary. I don't know what to expect. Clearly the beginning of the trailer shows the animatronic puppet.

Even Shinji Higuchi has said in interviews the "hybrid" technique. If Godzilla is full cg, then it's very convincing.  We have to remember that this is Tokusatsu, Japan's tradition and art form. I really don't see them stirring away from it as Tokusatsu is what defines Godzilla's legacy and saga.

Hopefully more confirmation comes. Then again, if Toho is saying full cg, then they are very confident in it. I won't argue with Toho's official statement. I'll wait and see for myself.

I do want to point out that the military weaponry is real while the missiles are cg. The beginning of the trailer does in fact show the animatronic puppet unless I am wrong.

Again, we have to remember and consider the trailer itself and the final product vary.

May-02-2016 1:39 PM

@Huge-Ben:

If Toho says it's CGI, then it's CGI (I guess). If the trailer is digital, then, ironically, it looks to me, in some shots, and very convincingly so, practical. The opening shot of Godzilla roaring does seem to be a puppet. But, I read that Higuchi likes for the effects to be such that one does not know-or cannot tell-where the practical effects end and the digital ones begin. Or vice versa. My immediate impression of the trailer was that a great deal of it was practical, albeit, well done. It was (and is) convincing enough to keep you in the story, but real looking without any hint of the giveaway cartoonishness (newly invented word) that some CGI is plagued by, e.g., the city destruction scenes in the new Independence Day Resurgence trailer. By the way, this is not  a shot across the bow of IDR. I'm actually looking forward to it. But, the digital parts of the trailer are obvious. But, maybe, that's what some people like. Perhaps it's the x-ray version of the appreciation that some fans of tokusatsu have for effects that obviously practical ("Man, those are nice miniatures!"). It'll be interesting to see just what is what. I suspect that in the chouzenshu (presumably published by Shogakukan) there'll be pages devoted to how the effects were realized. Well, color me curious. We've been promised 'hybrid' effects, and this is what I expect. And, actually, not knowing which is which, is, to me, a good thing.

Chris #TeamRodan

May-02-2016 2:46 PM

I'd be immensely surprised if Godzilla was full CG in both the trailer and final cut. I swear half the shots in the trailer alone were suitmation. I mean, the movements and detail seems too "real" to be computer generated.

Without a doubt though, Toho have stepped up their CG game, I just hope they don't lose that classic feel the original series had. Suitmation is essentially a representation of their filming culture, it wouldn't make sense for them to neglect those practical effects.

May-02-2016 3:35 PM

Well, my Japanese friends at work translated this picture for me at work today. They all said Tokusatsu with blended cgi. This is that picture.

Although they don't work for Toho, I highly doubt they don't know their own language.

May-02-2016 3:41 PM

I seriously think this "hybrid" technique is so convincing that, like Jamaal said, is to the point that you, us, can't tell the difference. And, I received notification last night by Toho's YouTube channel that another trailer, hopefully, is on the way. It's not available to the public just yet. Only Toho can view it as it is"private."

May-02-2016 3:45 PM

@Chris Picard,

I think legendary is part of the reason why Toho stepped up their game with special effects. And it worked. The trailer, like Jamaal said on another thread, looks very promising.

I can not wait to see this film and talk about it with all of you. This looks like "The" Godzilla film not to be missed.

May-02-2016 9:12 PM

^Yep.

I think we're going to be talking about this one for a long time. With the artistry and talent involved, Shin Gojira has the potential to be a remarkable entry in the Series. It has a feel to it, as if what is yet to be revealed will further confirm the promise we've seen so far. I, too, am looking forward talking about this Godzilla with everybody here, God willing.

Rodney Hammack

May-08-2016 7:51 AM

I really hope this is only an interim version of Godzilla while regenerating into a form that actually makes sense.  The skin looks like they threw globs of molding on a frame, the arms look they've been shredded and the tail alone seems to have as much mass as the rest of the body - way out of proportion.  The mouth looks like the head will simply split in two.

Notice that the tail has a completely different texture than the rest of the body.  Perhaps it is further along in the regeneration process.  I hope so, because if this is the final version of Godzilla ...

The biggest danger is that this Toho production will severely hurt the boxoffice of the next Legendary Godzilla film if it gets release internationally.   If that happens, we can kiss "Godzilla vs Kong" goodbye.

Toho should have waited until the Legendary trilogy completed (raking in the kin ending revenue) before releasing their low budget reboot.

May-08-2016 9:02 AM

^

Unfortunately, the three forms thing is debunked. The regeneration theory, may or may not be true due to the fact that the trailer showed no indication of this theory.

How is this movie going to affect the legendary universe? Kissing Kong vs Godzilla goodbye is rather moot because what if Godzilla 2 fails?

This has been Godzilla's final and only design from the get-go. Love it or hate it, it's something that everyone will have to deal with for years to come.

And, on top of that, do you think you will come out normal looking after a 15 megaton hydrogen bomb drops on you?

Rodney Hammack

May-09-2016 6:58 PM

@Huge-Ben

My point was that releasing a competing Godzilla prior to Godzilla 2 will likely confuse theater goers and conceivably hurt the boxoffice returns of G2 - possibly scrapping the planned "Godzilla vs Kong" production.

This is not a good business decision in my opinion.  Toho could simply have waited until the Legendary trilogy completed and racked in their licensing fees for Godzilla and the other classic kaiju planned for G2.  THEN they could return to cranking out their own low budget productions again.

Panthalassan

May-11-2016 3:27 PM

@Rodney Hammack if you look at the design without color, it looks like an updated version of the original '54 suit. And when I see the long tail, I think of the 1984 version, so I just imagine this as the spiritual successor to those two movies. But that's just me I guess...

And I would say, don't doubt Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, they are both supremely talented film-makers. It may be that Shin-Gojira ends up being better than Legendary's film. I'm less afraid of them and Toho screwing Godzilla up for Legendary than I am afraid of Legendary making a bad Godzilla 2 and canceling GvsKK themselves

Member
Drosthra just joined Team Mothra!
Member
Gmkgoji started a new discussion: UPDATE 2:Godzilla comic on the Godzilla Movies forum
Member
Gmkgoji replied to LEGO rodan

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.