Release Date
Fans Online
Get TicketsGodzilla ShirtsGodzilla shirtFeatured

Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) working title and production start date!

Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) working title and production start date!

Next year, the Monsterverse will see the return of Godzilla as he battles Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah for the dominance of Earth in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. In 2020, Godzilla will return again to face off against the mighty Kong from Legendary's Kong: Skull Island. Today, we can share with you the working title and production start date for the final installment in Legendary and Warner Brothers' Monsterverse trilogy - Godzilla vs. Kong.

Godzilla vs. Kong will film under the working title "APEX", which is a rather fitting title, considering each superspecies acted as the Apex predator in their respective films - Godzilla vs. Kong will be the final match-up which decides which monster is the true King of them all.

We are also thrilled to share that Godzilla vs. Kong (Apex) will begin production this October!

As new details and casting updates are announced, we'll be sure to keep you updated!
*Art by CAMW1N

This article was written By Chris and published on 2018-05-08 08:17:19

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters Articles

Ishiro Honda's Wife Passes Away at 101

Ishiro Honda's Wife Passes Away at 101

*We are sad to pass along news that Kimi Honda, wife of the late Ishiro Honda, has passed away. Ed Godziszewski & Steve Ryfle, authors of Ishiro Honda: A Life in Film, from God... Read More

61 Fan responses to Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) working title and production start date!

May-08-2018 8:32 AM

I get it. "Apex" as in Apex Predator. Clever girl.

May-08-2018 8:40 AM

sweet! now if we can only get a trailer to see G:KOTM.

I Like the working title APEX.

KaijuWorld

May-08-2018 8:46 AM

I hope that this means that the movie won't be delayed any time soon.

May-08-2018 9:15 AM

^I don't think so, if anything, its right on schedule. Its due in 2020. And shooting can take anywhere from 2 to maybe 3 months. Post can take the longest. So as long as no tragedies happen on set, we should be ok. That and reshoots, and other last minute touch ups.

Point being is that the fans finally get a movie where G and KK get a rematch(sort of speak) since the 1960's! I mean, 10 years ago I would have never guessed this would have been happening! Make it 20 years ago! Hell even 30! This has been a long time coming.

May-08-2018 9:19 AM

Sounds like the title for a Predator movie (Get it? Apex Predator?). Lol.

May-08-2018 11:43 AM

I like it! I'm excited for this. And I agree with riggzamortis86. Where is the G:KOTM trailer?

May-08-2018 12:59 PM

^I KNOW RIGHT!!!! It supposed to release in less than 11 months now! Where the hell is it!!?

May-08-2018 4:58 PM

Based on how the marketing for Kong: Skull Island went, I'm expecting a trailer to drop around Comic-Con

May-08-2018 6:02 PM

Yeah, the marketing for that movie changed everything, huh? Who agrees with me?

May-08-2018 6:15 PM

I think it's fairly common nowadays for movies to release a trailer the Comic-Con before their release.

May-08-2018 6:22 PM

^

I was not about that. I meant that when it came out, it changed a lot for movie marketing, the best example being that after K:SI, most movies had to wait five+ months for their DVD release, whereas before they only had to wait three months. I'm talking about that kind of marketing.

May-08-2018 6:24 PM

@The Legend of Brian I meant to say, "I was not talking about that. I meant that when it came out, it changed a lot for movie marketing, the best example being that after K:SI, most movies had to wait five+ months for their DVD release, whereas before they only had to wait three months. I'm talking about that kind of marketing." Sorry if it was confusing.

May-08-2018 7:32 PM

No problamo their friendo.

May-08-2018 8:08 PM

MinecraftDinoKaiju,
The home video release timetable of Skull Island was pretty standard even for movies of similar success before it.

May-08-2018 10:55 PM

Wow I just realized I used the wrong use of "there".

May-09-2018 6:43 AM

So maybe mid July? That is too long to wait!

I hope its sooner but I doubt it.

KaijuWorld

May-09-2018 7:06 AM

To be fair, a trailer 9 months before a movie comes out is still a pretty good date in my opinion. It could be worse. It can also be like with ”solo: a star wars story” where the first trailer was 3 months before the movie comes out.

May-09-2018 8:21 AM

Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

May-09-2018 9:36 AM

Speaking of which, maybe before the big fight something like this could be shown as an easter egg:

Image result for gorosaurus vs. kong monsterverse

But that's just me. What does everyone else think?

May-09-2018 9:47 AM

@KaijuWorld I forgot to mention something. After the forum that comes after Gamera's forum, can you do a forum on one of these? Here are the suggestions:

Image result for gorosaurus monsterverse

Image result for godzilla vs zilla monsterverse

Btw, the former is an actual suggestion. The latter was just for fun. Also, here's my feelings for 1998 (Mothra is meant to represent the 1998 film. Godzilla is supposed to represent me.):

Image result for gmk godzilla gif

Who agrees with me about the entire comment?

rexgoji

May-09-2018 4:35 PM

nautilus, fathom , and apex. did skull island have a working title?

May-09-2018 7:41 PM

"nautilus, fathom , and apex. did skull island have a working title?"

Does anyone know what this even means?

May-09-2018 8:13 PM

^ Those have been the working titles for the Godzilla movies so far.

Godzilla (2014) had the working title Nautilus

King of the Monsters was Fathom

and now Godzilla vs. Kong has a working title, Apex.

To answer the question, Kong's working title was Titan.

May-09-2018 8:32 PM

Why those names, though? It's almost like a conspiracy. Like Legendary and Warner Bros. were trying to tell us something. Like a hidden message. Who else agrees with me (And this comment.)?

May-09-2018 8:34 PM

Well I'd say it's mostly them choosing names that fans can at least speculate about. Honestly, I think the only one that has an significant meaning is Apex for GvK for obvious reasons.

May-09-2018 8:44 PM

^

Same here. The others just don't make any sense.

May-09-2018 9:05 PM

MinecraftDinoKaiju,
Kong: Skull Island's working title was Titan. Working titles are used to disguise projects--They usually have nothing to do with the movie so fewer locals will attempt to visit or take pictures of the set. For example, The Dark Knight's working title was Rory's First Kiss. This was done to throw off people in Chicago where it was filmed.

In some cases, working titles are also used for projects that do not yet have an official title.

riggzamortis86, KaijuWorld,
A trailer 12 months before the film's release is extremely rare. Additionally, blockbuster trailers like these are often first shown at large, specific conventions with big announcements from studio(s). Sure, Godzilla 2 had a chance to do that at Cinemacon last month, but that never seemed likely. Comic Con has always been the most likely date we'll get a first trailer, due to it being a high profile convention--And 8-9 months before the release is a more realistic timetable for it.

In the case of movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story and The Predator, those shoots finished much closer to their release date and also had various production issues. Godzilla 2, on the other hand wrapped shooting last summer and has plenty of time for re-shoots/post-production. So the likelihood of us seeing a trailer earlier than those two films is a little higher--Depending on what Legendary/WB actually want to show us.

More importantly, I hope they use this time to weed out any issues... They have plenty of time to assure it's a solid movie...

May-10-2018 9:07 AM

That's really clever and interesting.

May-11-2018 10:22 AM

I have a quick question for everyone, and I mean everyone. If you were to take Godzilla Jr. from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah and have him be in Godzilla's place in the Heisei timeline, starting from Godzilla vs. Biollante and going onward in chronological order, would he make it to GvD, or would he have died earlier than that? If you said yes to second part of the question, which film would he have died in and why?

May-11-2018 12:10 PM

^You should start a new topic about that question so that everyone can see the topic and give you an answer.

@G.H.(GMAN) I realize what Im expecting out of a trailer from a movie almost a year from releasing is silly and unheard of. Im just so anxious and impatient. And acting silly really. But thank you for the insight. I learn all kinds of new things on this forum.

May-11-2018 12:33 PM

My burning question is how much is the trailer going to give us? The first trailers for Kong and Godzilla didn't give us much to chew over.

Kulaas

May-11-2018 1:40 PM

I mean, Godzilla's first trailer certainly did, be it Comic-Con's or the December 2013 trailer, depending on how you define "first". But with how close this film is to release, I'm assuming we'll get a pretty meaty trailer. And even if we don't, the marketing campaign will be ramping up very quickly afterwards.

May-11-2018 1:59 PM

I do recall the first trailers for G14 having scenes heavily altered from the actual film. The whole skydiving scene in particular, with the male MUTO not even being present strikes me. I get why they didn't at the time. But that's what I see happening here for G:KOTM

May-11-2018 2:07 PM

@riggzamortis86, that's precisely what I was thinking. How much of the film will we be actually shown without alterations.

May-11-2018 2:39 PM

^I guess we will never know. They kept Godzilla's full appearance pretty well hidden in the early trailers up until the week before the film released in theaters. Then after its release, they didn't shy away from showing Godzilla roaring and getting hit by missiles in the trailers saying that its already in theaters. BUT there wasn't much MUTO footage shown at all.

So if history has taught us anything, I can only guess they will show Godzilla full force in the trailers along with maybe Rodan being shown, but I can say based on the lack of any MUTO's shown in the trailers in G14, King Ghidorah and Mothra will be teased but not fully present in the early trailers. Of course this is a guess from what we witnessed from past trailers of this series.

Crimson Black

May-11-2018 4:35 PM

I'm just here wanting Godzilla to win

May-11-2018 5:12 PM

I'm thinking we'll definitely get a lot of Godzilla in the first trailer, since:

A. We already know what Godzilla looks like (bar any major design changes)

B. We already know his role in this universe.

I think we'll definitely see Rodan get teased at least. He's the character that has the least amount of weight if you understand my meaning. Mothra and Ghidorah are far more important in context to the franchise. We'll probably get Mothra towards the end of the marketing, and a few glimpses of Ghidorah, but I think they'll keep Ghidorah under wraps for as long as possible.

KaijuWorld

May-12-2018 6:15 AM

Just a little question to everyone here. Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah are all getting a new design for the 2019 movie, but which of these 3 kaiju are you interested in seeing a new modern design for the most? Personally, I am most interested in the new design for Mothra.

May-12-2018 11:01 AM

This is a tricky one. I think Rodan will be the easiest to redesign, or to put it another way, the one that is least likely to be messed up. We already have a bit of an idea of what Mothra will look like if that teaser image from Comic-Con last year is a real indicator of how Mothra will be designed.

I would say the design I'm looking forward to most is King Ghidorah. Now this is mostly due to morbid curiosity since i think they'll go with the wing-walker/wyvern look. That's not to say I don't think it'll work, I would just prefer if Legendary stuck to the basics for Ghidorah.

May-12-2018 2:31 PM

"You should start a new topic about that question so that everyone can see the topic and give you an answer."

I would, but my account isn't verified. That's why I have not been able to make any forums.

May-12-2018 6:48 PM

(Not spam) Can anyone guess what this is? Here's the picture:

Kaiju War Chronicles (K.W.C.)

May-12-2018 7:01 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess the Toho Kingdom logo?

May-12-2018 7:21 PM

No, the Toho Kingdom logo is this:

Image result for toho kingdom logo

But thanks for your guess.

May-12-2018 10:00 PM

Uh, yeah. That's exactly what's showing:

May-12-2018 11:13 PM

What? For me, it shows something different. How is that possible?

May-12-2018 11:14 PM

Also, who is more hated between these two? Here they are:

Image result for gabara

Image result for zilla

May-13-2018 1:38 AM

Probably Zilla. Gabera has a decent following.

May-13-2018 12:58 PM

But they both have only one movie. How does one have a bigger following than the other?

Kulaas

May-13-2018 1:40 PM

One movie is all the 1998 Godzilla needed to have a larger fanbase, especially with its hypetrain. Don't forget, All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge is a 60s film, and had a much smaller fanbase behind it.

May-13-2018 1:50 PM

Yeah, but at least we got Zilla Jr. and his animated series out of the 1998 film, right?

Kulaas

May-13-2018 2:27 PM

I guess. Not like I ever saw the series, though, lol.

May-13-2018 2:39 PM

@Kulaas I can't believe I'm saying this, but trust me, the series is better (but still as cringy and outdated) than the 1998 film.

Kulaas

May-13-2018 3:56 PM

It wouldn't surprise me, even though I don't consider the 1998 film to be terrible.

May-13-2018 5:22 PM

If you think of this picture from the perspective of a dinosaur fan and not a Godzilla fan, then it's not as bad. Here's the picture:

Who agrees with me?

May-13-2018 7:47 PM

The question was, who is more hated.

All Monsters Attack has a longer legacy with more years bookending it. Although it's an unfairly maligned movie, one of the more forgiven aspects has universally been Gabera and the new footage with him.

Meanwhile, the '98 movie and creature design purposefully strayed from everything that was considered Godzilla up to that point--The creators even had the audacity to call it superior in every way to the original. This lead to plenty of hate from the fanbase and although Toho has rebanded the design, the association is still there. (Hence why people cheered when he was defeated so embarrassingly in Final Wars.)

The '98 Godzilla is easily more hated.

May-13-2018 9:13 PM

And what do you think of the comment above yours?

May-13-2018 9:15 PM

You know, the one about the baby Zilla.

May-13-2018 9:20 PM

I'm not sure it what context the question is relevant. Is the design on its own good? Maybe--That's highly subjective without base context. But in terms of a [Baby] Godzilla design (which is what it was intended to be) it doesn't look anything like him.

May-13-2018 10:38 PM

"But in terms of a [Baby] Godzilla design (which is what it was intended to be) it doesn't look anything like him."

That is what I'm asking. If you think of it as any other baby dinosaur and not as a Baby Godzilla design, then does it look better?

Im Durp

May-14-2018 5:40 AM

I've waited my whole life for this rematch. Even hearing that it got a production title is getting me hyped.

May-14-2018 5:42 AM

Zilla is much more hated and is celebrated when he dies in the Godzilla fandom. Gabera carries on in the Godzilla fandom. Zilla is buried under it. Plus you ask anyone in the fandom which film would they rather watch I would bet 9 out of 10 fans would pick All Monsters Attack over Zilla(98).

Back to the topic at hand, I am very curious about how they will portray Mothra's head and face in this movie? Will they go with the round head with big round eyes or go with a actual moth face and head making Mothra look even more insect like?

I just feel like King Ghidorah is going to be this wing walker(not happy with this expectation) dragon like being. Im more anxious than excited to see what will happen with Ghidorah. Looking at the history thus far with Legendary's creative designs for monster foes like the MUTO and the Skull Crawler's. Both  foes hunched over crawling around rather than like Godzilla and Kong who both stand upright on there hind legs. This is what makes me believe that King Ghidorah would be designed to crawl around when on the ground.

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.