Release Date
Fans Online
Get TicketsGodzilla ShirtsGodzilla shirtFeatured

Here is Mechagodzilla from Ready Player One!

Here is Mechagodzilla from Ready Player One!

Since Ready Player One has released in theaters, G-fans were quick to notice Mechagodzilla's cameo appearance and today we have a piece of phenomenal concept artwork by Jared Krichevsky, which he created for the film. This Mechagodzilla design stands out as an alternative to the established variants from the Godzilla cinematic universe, but seems to most closely ressemble Mechagodzilla 2, with some slight callbacks to Kiryu from the film Godzilla against Mechagodzilla. Check out the artwork below and let us know what you think in the comments section!

Godzilla fas looking to discover more about the Godzilla sequel King of the Monsters are encouraged to join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters Articles

S.H. MonsterArts to Unleash Godzilla 1962!

S.H. MonsterArts to Unleash Godzilla 1962!

S.H. MonsterArts is finally tackling more Showa Godzilla figures with the announcement of Godzilla 1962! The design was exclusive to the most successful Godzilla film in history, I... Read More

20 Fan responses to Here is Mechagodzilla from Ready Player One!

Lord Tyrannos/I Meme Everything

Apr-28-2018 11:32 AM

Finally, an HD image. It looks great.

Ultrazero80

Apr-28-2018 4:18 PM

This version of Mecha-Godzilla kinda looks like a fusion of the Showa, and Millenium designs to me.

rexgoji

Apr-28-2018 5:44 PM

eh, it's okay.

rexgoji

Apr-28-2018 5:44 PM

eh, it's okay.

KaijuWorld

Apr-29-2018 8:44 AM

I see the head of the Heisei MechaGodzilla, the body of the Showa MechaGodzilla, the mechanical details of the millennium MechaGodzilla and the shape of the 2014 Godzilla.

Apr-29-2018 9:12 AM

I really like this design

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 11:29 AM

Now this is the Mechagodzilla I was hoping for when I went to see Ready Player One, not a copy, paste, and redesign of G14. It is original and awesome. I like it (by like, I mean that I love it).

The King of the Monsters

Apr-29-2018 2:28 PM

The concept artist has said that the design took some inspiration from Noriyoshi Ohrai's design for Mechagodzilla featured on the advance poster for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. You can clearly see the influence in the arms.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 2:43 PM

Still better than the one in the final film (Ready Player One, not Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. The one in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is still awesome, even if I only ever saw the movie once before Hulu's Godzilla movie streaming rights expired.).

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-29-2018 4:06 PM

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 4:27 PM

@The Jurassic Bootleg Too late. And btw, that is exactly why. Like you said, "ts just metallic Legendary Godzilla". That's why I don't like the design. You're welcome for the explanation, and for the following:

"What's wrong with the final design? I like the final design, I mean yea sure its just metallic Legendary Godzilla but it also makes sense for it to look like Legendary Godzilla because.....uhm...uhh, ok I actually don't know why they base it on the Legendary Godzilla. Maybe because Legendary Godzilla is what western audiences are familiar with, that's just my guess, don't quote me on that."

That is all. Thanks, and you're welcome.

The King of the Monsters

Apr-29-2018 4:45 PM

The final design in the movie is almost exactly the same as that concept art, just darker in color. I don't get how the design in the movie itself is any more just a "metallic Legendary Godzilla" than the one in that concept art.

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-29-2018 4:50 PM

The final design is just metallic as the concept design.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 4:52 PM

Because the tops of the dorsal plate in the concept art look like the three triangle-shaped tops we would expect Godzilla's dorsal plates to be like, whereas in the movie, the tops of the dorsal plates are just one triangle-shaped top, just like Legendary Godzilla's (And I should know, because I have box-art and the figure of the 6-inch Neca Godzilla to prove it.). Therefore, I think the concept art is better.

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-29-2018 5:20 PM

Still look exactly like the final design.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 5:26 PM

@ The Jurassic Bootleg To me, this looks like an actual modernization to the Showa Mechagodzillas, but the one in the movie, again, and I quote, "like you said, 'its just metallic Legendary Godzilla'. That's why I don't like the design." That is the difference for me. You guys can have your opinions and disagree, but for me, I know a difference between designs when I see one.

The King of the Monsters

Apr-29-2018 5:30 PM

Legendary Godzilla has multiple points on his dorsal plates, they just typically have one larger central point. Godzilla's always had multiple points on his dorsal plates, the biggest difference is that the 2014 Godzilla's have fewer points which all point straight up, making them look more like broken glass than the typical maple leaf shaped. The Ready Player One Mechagodzilla has the same dorsal plate design as Godzilla 2014 in the concept art and in the movie itself. The only real discernible change made to Mechagodzilla's design in the film was that it was given a darker black coloration than the grayish color in the concept art.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 5:52 PM

I knew it was something wrong, and it was the color with the lighting. It made it look like it was just a copy, not an original design. Now if the lighting was just like the one in the concept art (aka instead of a dark tone, it would be bright so that the design can actually be appealing [just like with G14 almost]). But they had to put him against a dark-ish background, and that was disappointing. Sorry for all the confusion I caused, but that is all from me.

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-29-2018 5:57 PM

I personally think the dark color made the design intimidating.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 6:11 PM

@The Jurassic Bootleg Intimidating? Yes. Convincing? That depends on your opinion. And you can just look at my previous replies on this forum for mine. Again, that is all for me.

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.