Trending Articles
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong 2020
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2 2019
Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla 2014
Featured Content
Shin Godzilla is Back in Japanese Theaters

Shin Godzilla is Back in Japanese Theaters

Scified2020-05-15 10:47:02https://www.scified.com/articles/shin-godzilla-back-theaters-31.jpg
4,603 Reads1 Upvotes12 CommentsAdd A Comment+ Upvote

The renowned kaiju film Shin Godzilla is now set to make its return to theaters. Starting today, select theaters inside of 11 different prefectures in Japan will begin to reopen for business.

In an attempt to get fans into seats, the theaters will be showing a variety of successful films from throughout Japan's history. Amongst the films being showcased will be none other than Shin Godzilla.

While this return obviously isn't taking place under the best of circumstances, it's always good to see a kaiju film get mass recognition. It will be interesting to see if the film also plays at any other Japanese theaters when they eventually reopen.

This article was written By Jacob Gilley and published on 2020-05-15 10:47:02

Related Godzilla Articles
12 Fan responses to Shin Godzilla is Back in Japanese Theaters

Tiamatzilla #TeamGodzilla

May-15-2020 11:37 AM

Why? That movie was the worst and it makes me puke  I made a way Godzilla than that.

Tiamatzilla #TeamGodzilla

May-15-2020 11:38 AM

Why? That movie was the worst and it makes me puke.  I made a way better Godzilla than that.

Tiamatzilla #TeamGodzilla

May-15-2020 11:42 AM

Won't let fix the comments so I look like a chode but any Godzilla was better than broken jaw statue shin. Wasn't even Reptillian with a face on its tail shitting walking dead. Like did these dudes even know who Godzilla is or did they just get forced into using his shadow to blow Destroyah?

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

May-15-2020 12:01 PM

Tiamatzilla,
Because it's a great movie, it won countless awards and was a massive box office success in Japan.

Get over it.

Xenotaris #TeamMothra

May-16-2020 8:54 AM

@G. H. (Gman)

There is a thing called an opinion.

@Tiamatzilla

Yeah i agree, they should have used the original Gojira (1954)

JurassicKaiju14 #TeamGodzilla

May-16-2020 10:36 AM

"they should have used the original Gojira (1954)"

Man, could you imagine if they did bring the original 1954 film back for a special theatrical run? I'd totally pay to see that.

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

May-16-2020 12:29 PM

Xenotaris,
My opinion is his is wrong.

KingSalomonMMIV

May-16-2020 2:07 PM

Tiamatzilla

I respect everyone's opinions, whether I agree with them or not. However, in defense of SG, the makers of that film were really doing exactly what the makers of the original 1954 version did, or almost any other G movie for that matter. When you look at the Godzilla franchise as a whole, you'll notice that Godzilla always represents one thing; whether he's a metaphor for the nuclear holocaust, or nature's response to imbalance, Godzilla is always there to point out mankind's blunders. They took the same approach in SG, but a little differently. That films mocks the flaws of the political government, and they use Godzilla in metaphorical ways to point that out. They may seem weird or different, but it's really quite brilliant if your willing to look at it from a new perspective. Godzilla doesn't have to be the exact same thing in every movie, as long as the creators honor the Japanese roots (which, in my humble opinion, I think they pulled off perfectly). I really respect the makers of SG for doing something very different from what the average Godzilla audience is always expecting from a G movie, and I wish more G fans were able to look at this film in the perspective of it's own context, instead of the context from your typical Godzilla film (if that makes sense).

SarcasticKaiju #TeamGodzilla

May-16-2020 5:24 PM

@Tiamatzilla

Thank you for you’re decidedly strong opinion, I am not to offended. I see where you are coming from. I used to feel this way until I realized Godzilla has NEVER had scales, (except 2014 and GINO) The texture of the skin of Shodaigoji was designed after keloid scars from burns from the lucky dragon incident. I could go on and on about why Shin Godzilla is one of the best Godzilla movies, but that would be redundant. I appreciate shin Godzilla so much, because it is the closest Godzilla film to 1954 ( in my opinion), I was actually watching it a few minutes before I wrote this. I praise the design, because it reminds you of the effects of radiation and looks eerily like Shodaigoji. Plus the eyes just stare at you as it destroys the city.

SarcasticKaiju #TeamGodzilla

May-16-2020 5:26 PM

Also not just mocking the Japanese government, but there is a balanced theme of patriotism in Japan. I view the movie as an allegory of Japan’s and America’s relationship. And Godzilla’s in it too.

Kotmfanboy54

May-16-2020 11:04 PM

I honestly don’t think that this film is a masterpiece as everyone says because I found the characters to be really boring and uninteresting also I don’t like that their is way too much scenes with people in rooms having discussions and barely any focus on the destruction Godzilla is causing and the impact it has on the people who are caught up in it like the original 1954 film also I think that Godzilla has no personality cause in the first half of the film all he does is walk and that’s it like what is his motivations I feel like if you take Godzilla out of the film and I believe that it would be no different about the whole Japanese bureaucracy thing and I honestly believe that the original 1954 is a masterpiece and is still a better film than shin

SarcasticKaiju #TeamGodzilla

May-17-2020 10:38 AM

@kotmfanboy54

For the record, Godzilla has MUCH more screen time than in 2014. I never said it better than 1954. I said it was the closest. The characters are hard to remember and thrown at you quickly because there is no time too, it works because it’s the government. Godzilla wasn’t originally supposed to have a personality. He was a walking Atom Bomb. As for my opinion on it being a master price, I don’t want to bore you, but I will say, it is one Godzilla film that Toho was able to be proud of in a long time. It had a US theatrical release, more than what some other millennium Godzilla movies can say. The reason it would be different would be what would they be reacting too? Maybe another disaster. Shin Godzilla’s stages represent different disasters. Kamata kun is a flood. Shinigawa kun is kindof the aftermath, plus the water returning to sea. Kamakura San is anything, from tornadoes to Atom Bombs. Yes 1954 is better, but please remember 1954 isn’t a Godzilla film really, it’s more like a film with Godzilla in it. It’s serious not focusing too much on Godzilla but these politically active characters. Many of the discussions during rampages are brief. Shin Godzilla opens up a world of new story possibilities now that we see different views on Godzilla in the government.

Get Your Godzilla vs. Kong Sweater!
Godzilla vs. Kong Sweater