Trending Articles
Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
Godzilla vs. Kong 2020
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2 2019
Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla 2014
Featured Content
Shin Godzilla Tops Godzilla '14 Opening in Japan

Shin Godzilla Tops Godzilla '14 Opening in Japan

Scified2016-08-01 12:07:05https://www.scified.com/articles/shin-godzilla-tops-godzilla-14-opening-in-japan-31.jpg
4,369 Reads2 Upvotes25 CommentsAdd A Comment+ Upvote

Shin Godzilla opened in Japan at #1 with a two-day take of over 625 million yen. (Roughly $6.1 million USD.) That's higher than the $4.9 million USD Godzilla '14 earned two years ago when it opened in Japan. It's also greater than the $4.9 million USD Shinji Higuchi's Attack on Titan Part I opened with last year.

Although the Friday tally has yet to be released, some estimate it will jack Shin Godzilla's overall total to $8 million.

Shin Godzilla has opened to generally favorable reviews and will continue to rack up money not only in Japan, but 100+ other territories around the world. The film is expected in North American theaters this fall.
Sources:
Enjoy-Cinema
The Hollywood Reporter

With the upcoming release of Adam Wingard's Godzilla vs. Kong, now is a great time to pick your Titan and represent Godzilla or Kong! Check out some products below and click here for even more options!

Godzilla wins 2021 Shirt
Godzilla Hoodie
Kong Wins 2021 Shirt

This article was written By G. H. (Gman) and published on 2016-08-01 12:07:05

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) is the sequel to Michael Dougherty's Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters and will be the fourth and final installment in the Monsterverse movie quadrilogy. It will also bridge both the Godzilla movies and Kong: Skull Island by bringing Godzilla and Kong face-to-face for an epic match-up. To learn more about Godzilla vs. Kong, check out the Godzilla vs. Kong about page here!

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) by liking us on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

Related Godzilla Articles
New Godzilla x Fall Guys Game Collab

New Godzilla x Fall Guys Game Collab

A new official Godzilla x Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout collab has been announced. For the collab, a new Godzilla skin will be available in the game's item shop for a limited time ... Read More

25 Fan responses to Shin Godzilla Tops Godzilla '14 Opening in Japan

Chris #TeamMothra

Aug-01-2016 12:29 PM

No way! That's incredible! Goes to show interest is still high for Godzilla! Hopefully this warrants more Godzilla films from Toho as well. Thanks for the update!

wolfguy

Aug-01-2016 12:47 PM

It drew fans in from all sides. The curious casuals, the ones seeking a good dose of nostalgia, the usual G-Fans, as well as hordes of Anime fans wanting to see what Anno has been up to since NOT FINISHING HIS EVA FILM SERIES!!! >:B

Scott Hamilton

Aug-01-2016 1:16 PM

Um guys, that isn't a great opening. Doing better than Attack on Titan is a low bar, that movie tied a Doraemon movie for number 10 on the domestic film chart that year in Japan. And I don't mean Stand by Me Doraemon, the CGI movie that was phenomenon across Asia, but a regular cheap anime Doraemon movie, which come out once a year. (The AoT sequel did about half the business of the first -- ouch!)

Last weekend the new anime One Piece movie did about $11 million for the weekend, and that was probably a lot cheaper to make than Shin Godzilla. I'm glad Shin Godzilla didn't bomb, but these numbers aren't fantastic.

wolfguy

Aug-01-2016 1:30 PM

Very little competes with One Piece in Japan, except for maybe Dragon Ball.

GG #TeamGodzilla

Aug-01-2016 1:41 PM

I mean it makes sense that a film made in Japan, let alone a traditional Godzilla film, would do more than one made outside.

Durp004

Aug-01-2016 2:04 PM

If I remember correctly Japan was one of the last places to get G14 at least a month after its initial release. So most of the people interested in the movie at that point probably either saw it somewhere else(like western fans that went to japan for this one) or got it illegally online.

It probably doesn't make up the whole difference but it definitely closes the gap.

KingKaijuGojira #TeamGodzilla

Aug-01-2016 2:08 PM

Is no one going to mention how awesome the picture at the top is?

Boilerbuzz

Aug-01-2016 2:09 PM

I agree with Scott.  Comparing favorably to the release to a "foreign" film (in a very prideful country) and an universally panned film is NOT a cause for celebration.  However, it's still the best Godzilla opening if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.  Which says enough for me.  I would hope and assume Funimation has reserved space for it's release in the SF area, so I'll be there when it open here.  Hope it's soon.

Something Real

Aug-01-2016 2:52 PM

GMAN2887 - This is incredible - and proper! There is no way Godzilla would be ousted by a foreigner! ;)

Huge-Ben #TeamGhidorah

Aug-01-2016 3:45 PM

I think some are missing the point here. It's only been out in Japan nationally for two days and its earned this much. That's great to hear. Especially since it hasn't been released in Japan for a week yet.

All in all, I can't wait to see it myself.

Danzilla93 #TeamMothra

Aug-01-2016 4:15 PM

When I saw it, it was to two packed theaters.  From what I heard from the Japanese insiders I talked to, it's expected to be the biggest domestic release of the summer.  These numbers are fantastic.

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get my review up, I spent the last 48 hours trying to get home, and haven't slept a lot.  But rest assured, it is coming either tonight or tomorrow.

And worry not, Kaiju fans... this film is truly a masterpiece. :)

Minster_Gojira

Aug-01-2016 4:16 PM

Hey guys I got bad news :/ I found out what the 3 forms of Godzilla is *Not gonna give out spoliers*

but just to let u know they are kinda good/bad at the same time but overall I'm still gonna see this movie

wish it came out already I'm dieing to see it

Danzilla93 #TeamMothra

Aug-01-2016 5:10 PM

^not sure what was so "bad" about them, Minster_Gojira.  They were brilliant and terrifying in the movie.  I'll share more later.

FYI, I'll be posting two reviews: Spoiler free and Spoiler filled.  Look for them soon.

Something Real

Aug-01-2016 5:21 PM

DANZILLA - Be sure to get rest before anything else. We can wait for the reviews. :)

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Aug-01-2016 7:18 PM

Most animated films do much better in Japan. And while Attack on Titan was panned critically, it didn't flop. This isn't an astronomical opening, but it's by no means a weak opening at all.

Also, foreign films, particularly Hollywood exports, tend to do better upon initial release--The "Japan prefers their own movies" argument doesn't entirely hold up here.

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Aug-02-2016 12:03 AM

...

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Aug-03-2016 9:38 AM

ummm... after some info from one of my sources... I think I'll call it an outrageous concept that's been done before... but not a true Godzilla movie... imo.... I will see it... but I'm a Legendary Pictures Godzilla Fan. And if what I was told is true... then... well... I'll keep it short and to the point. (deep breath).... WOOF.

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Aug-03-2016 10:30 AM

I think it's premature to call something, "not a true Godzilla movie" when you haven't seen it.

I'm privy to far more information than most regarding the movie and can ascertain that the surface level changes do not impede on what makes Godzilla what he is.

KoldWarKid62

Aug-03-2016 2:30 PM

“the surface level changes do not impede on what makes Godzilla what he is.”

GMan - I agree with you for the most part here. It’s interesting that you give the character (and makers) of Godzilla as much leeway as you do. I also think you’d make an interesting politician, btw! A week or two ago, you and I were discussing King Kong and the (far fewer) interpretations of the character. You said something to the effect that Kong had to “look and act a certain way.” Now, I didn’t task you on where or from what source you drew that information, but I’m going to pretty much gather that’s your opinion. I respect a person’s opinion. Don’t have to agree, but I do respect it. Let’s take a look at Kong, shall we? I think we can all agree it’s a large ape, gorilla, or ape-like creature. Beyond that, it’s powerful, it fights, it climbs, and it’s pretty intelligent, and generally thought of not as an evil creature or monster. Not a whole lot left to interpretation there. To you, Jackson’s Kong is not Kong because it didn’t meet certain criteria you have for the character. It was just a giant gorilla, who also happened to fit the criteria I mentioned, btw.

So, if we applied that same logic to Godzilla - He’s certainly looked and acted different over the course of his career, wouldn’t you say? He’s been grotesque, cute, he’s been  a destroyer, a defender, he’s danced and celebrated, he's flown, he’s talked and conferred with his fellow creatures, he’s been a dad a few times now, he’s pretty damned impervious to like everything, and he’s had a radioactive fire breath, ray as his main weapon. Godzilla has looked and acted very differently over the years; he’s been downright schizophrenic!

If I were to say to me Godzilla is dark, serious, not an anti-hero or friend to man, but a destructive force bringing Armageddon to it’s creators and anything other than that wasn’t Godzilla, I would be taken to task on these boards and rightfully so. Now, Toho has taken many liberties with their character over the years. In this newest incarnation, they take liberties to a whole new level! I’m aware of the changes. I think they’re pretty radical. Is it still Godzilla? This is a very different Godzilla in pretty much every way, and it could end up possibly being more divisive than '14. I’ll reserve final judgment on this until I actually see it. We all have our favorites, and many of us have what the “perfect” Godzilla is, or what the prototypical character would be. Everyone has an opinion.

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Aug-03-2016 8:42 PM

"To you, Jackson’s Kong is not Kong because it didn’t meet certain criteria you have for the character."

I never stated in the comment you're referring to that Jackson's Kong, "was not Kong." I merely stated, in a roundabout way, that his interpretation was rather dull and uninspired--Especially compared to other interpretations.

Jorge Luis Borges, who was actually very critical of the 1933 film, said, "King Kong is no full-blooded ape but rather a rusty, desiccated machine whose movements are downright clumsy." Despite missing the point, in many ways he's right, and oddly this anthropomorphic element had mostly followed the character into the 1970s. Then Peter Jackson comes along with his self-indulgent film, determined to include scenes cut from the original film, but also, in a somewhat contradicting move, decides that the source material was far too unbelievable for a fantasy--Thus we have oddly evolved dinosaurs and merely an overgrown silverback for Kong. The character is still there, but the fantasy elements have been subdued. It's not very exciting and takes away from Kong's character.

With Godzilla, who has gone through many character changes, but has always had some thematic connection to nuclear proliferation (even if it's shoehorned in the film), the surface level differences are actually the opposite of Jackson's Kong. They're more radical and more outside the box. And yet, the creature is probably more in line with the 1954 Godzilla than any other in terms of warnings of nuclear proliferation. Granted it's an interesting conundrum for some fans, juggling the new surface elements with the old, but I don't regard the comparison as similar as you seem to think it is. Even with the surface level comparisons we still have a monster who:

1) Has a radioactive origin.
2) Is an upright, "retro-saurus" beast silhouette with maple leaf shaped spines.
3) Fires a devastating atomic ray.
4) Destroys everything in its path.
5) Is impervious to conventional weaponry.
6) Has mythological ties to Japanese folk legends.
7) Is being used for some present-day cultural message.

If that's not Godzilla, we haven't been paying attention. Also consider that Godzilla has historically been used in a more diverse way than Kong, which by default makes him more susceptible to artist license.

KoldWarKid62

Aug-04-2016 3:27 AM

I never stated Shin Godzilla, or any other interpretation of the character was NOT Godzilla. What we have after our long-winded point-counter point is that we have differing opinions on things, no more no less. I'm sure we could go through any number of pop culture topics and engage in the same sparring match. We'll agree to disagree.

We'll re-convene on the topic of Shin Godzilla after we've all had the chance to see it.

Huge-Ben #TeamGhidorah

Aug-04-2016 4:33 PM

Man! I own the Shin Godzilla walker book. Boy oh boy, this film is going to greatly divide the fans.

I will say this much to the people who have read the reviews, seen leaked images, etc etc. Guys and gals, Toho will do whatever they want with Godzilla. He's their property and character. Time to quit b##hing and deal with it.

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Aug-04-2016 11:20 PM

!?

Durp004

Aug-05-2016 7:24 AM

@Huge-Ben

I don't think toho having the rights to something means people aren't allowed to not like it, or complain.

RR44 #TeamGodzilla

Aug-05-2016 7:49 PM

Durp004... is  so right in that statement.

Godzilla vs. Covid-19 Shirt!
Godzilla vs. Kong Sweater