What the future of the MonsterVerse could entail…777 Views11 RepliesAdd A Reply
1. Skull Island anime (obviously).
2. Titan War anime.
3. Kong-centered graphic novels that will revolve around him and Monarch exploring the Hollow Earth after the events of GVK. They could be used to bridge the gap between Godzilla vs Kong and the next Kong film.
4. Godzilla-centered graphic novels that lead into his third movie.
5. Mothra-centered graphic novels that will explore her rebirth and further develop Dr. Chen, Dr. Ling, and the rest of Monarch. We could even see what Alan Jonah and his cronies have been up to for the past few years. They will directly tie into Godzilla 3.
6. Rodan-centered graphic novels that will revolve around him going on his own adventure and facing off against another Titan (not sure who it would be). They will also lead into the third Godzilla film.
I want to note that these films aren’t what I’d personally want to see, but what I feel are more realistic proposals…
1. Kong 2/Son of Kong (Kong and Monarch traverse the Hollow Earth to search for other members of Kong’s species. While exploring the Hollow Earth, they encounter different types of megafauna, including a new antagonistic monster that Kong ends up fighting)
2. Kong 3 (Not sure what this film would be about, but I can see the MonsterVerse having a Kong-led trilogy since he is a very profitable monster. However, I feel that this film is the least likely to happen since it would also make sense for the MonsterVerse to have two Kong films since Godzilla also got two films, which were G14 and KOTM)
3. Godzilla 3 (Godzilla, a reborn Mothra, and Rodan team up to fight Biollante, who’s created either by APEX or Alan Jonah. If Alan Jonah is the human antagonist, he could get his hands on some of Godzilla’s DNA and splice it with the DNA of some plants to create Biollante. It’s already been established that Alan Jonah traffics Titan DNA on the Black Market. So him getting his hands on Godzilla’s DNA and creating Biollante makes a lot of sense)
4. Godzilla and Kong team up film (This would be a big ensemble film and serve as the culmination of the MonsterVerse. Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, Rodan, Monarch, and all the other Titans must defend the Earth from either Destroyah OR a powerful alien race that was responsible for sending Ghidorah to Earth. These aliens arrive on Earth with Gigan and a more powerful member of Ghidorah’s species (a nod to Keizer Ghidorah))
Something you may notice is that I didn’t include solo films for other monsters. My reason for doing this is that I just don’t think any other monster besides Godzilla, Kong, and Mothra are marketable enough to carry their own films. Hell, I don’t even know if Mothra would be able to carry her own film. I’m betting on Toho making solo films for other monsters in their “World of Godzilla” universe.
You’ll also notice that my list isn’t as long as the ones other fans have made, and the reason for this is that I don’t think the MonsterVerse will go one for as long as fans think it will. When you look at the box office track record for Kaiju films, you’ll see that they don’t make over $570 million USD. When you take that into consideration, and also consider that KOTM underperformed, it’s reasonable to assume that Legendary wouldn’t want to over extend themselves by making countless films that wouldn’t be guaranteed box office hits. While GVK did very well at the box office despite being released during a pandemic, I don’t think we should assume that just because that film did well that future films would be just as successful, even if they starred Godzilla and Kong. If the story isn’t well written, than that could turn a lot of critics off, which can result in a bad word of mouth.
Another thing we should expect is for Legendary to announce one or two films at a time instead of announcing multiple films years in advance like what Marvel does with their films. Not only does Marvel have the money to fund multiple projects, but they also have the trust from the general audience to give them good content. Like I said in my post about why the MCU is so good at making obscure characters mainstream, another reason why Marvel is able to announce and release multiple films a year is because of their reputation and familiarity as a brand, and the popularity of the genre they are a part of.
When it comes to the MonsterVerse though, it isn’t part of a genre that is well known and loved by countless people. It’s a very niche franchise that only has so many fans under it’s belt. Therefore, it would make far more sense for Legendary to just take things slow and release 1-5 more films rather than biting off more than they can chew by releasing 8 more films.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it!
oh wow this is actually really cool and pretty well thought out
we gotta contact legendary
Thought this was relevant,
This is from an article and is from Akita Takahashi.
Response of GvK has been positive from Toho and has met requirements that toho stated that they would be interesting in renewing their contract
“There might be something coming out from Japan, there might be something from the United States, there might be a collaboration, we’re unsure. We’re excited to know as well.”
I don’t think this hints at something significant but is interesting.
I agree with this list on most fronts other than using older Godzilla monsters. Having Biollatne in monsterverse would be cool but it would be risky, because it’s not super well known outside the Godzilla fandom. There’s no point buying a monster if you’re not confident it’s gonna be a good selling point. I think legendary will opt for a original monster.
Am I the only one who thinks that Megalon would be a perfect addition to the MonsterVerse? His origin story was that he was worshiped as a god by an underground civilization. The MonsterVerse established both the Hollow Earth and ancient civilizations worshiping the Titans, so It would be pretty easy to fit him into the world. Unfortunately Megalon isn't the most well known or popular monster, so the likelihood of Legendary getting the rights to use him is slim...
aw man, i want rhino beetle man :(
guys we need to get legendary to buy megalon
Here's my idea:
Kong 2 & 3 - They'll center on Kong's Hollow Earth adventures, before he's called into the big ensemble finale. Nathan Lind (Alexander Skarsgard), Ilene Andrews (Rebecca Hall), and Jia (Kaylee Hottle) will all constantly show up, and Kong will leave the humans in either the end of 2 or the beginning of 3.
Godzilla 3 - I think it will be solely Godzilla (Mothra and Rodan would get tie-in comics). Also, I would pick G3 as the end of both the Russell family and Brody family stories. My bet is that Madison Russell (Millie Bobby Brown) and an older Sam Brody (I would pick Noah Schnapp to play him) will team up and be the central human focus of Godzilla 3. I think Biollante will be the main antagonist and there will be three major fights like in KOTM and GVK.
Destroy All Monsters Ensemble Team-Up - I think we're going to get a lot less humans as Godzilla, Kong, Rodan, Mothra, and all of the other titans will likely go up against Destroyah. The core four will survive and all the other monsters will be killed.
That's my guess...
But I also really want one more fight between THOSE GUYS.
I would like to see Biollante given a heroic upgrade
In all honesty I don't think Legendary should buy any licenses to old monsters, and I don't think the Titans should fight Destoroyah or an Alien race that (purely speculated on) sent Ghidorah to Earth. I think the Monsterverse should end off with an original Titan, something that could go down in the Kaiju genre as the Monsterverse's final boss, instead of just Destoroyah again. Legendary could go wild with concepts for the new Titan and give it all sorts of abilities. As for the Alien stuff, it feels to cliche and out of place for something like the Monsterverse.
@Reaper’s Winglass: While I agree that the concept of an alien invasion is cliche, I feel that it would be a great opportunity to introduce Gigan and expand upon Ghidorah’s origin. Since KOTM already made Ghidorah an alien, Legendary might as well take advantage of it.
what about beeg xenomorph
(this is a joke)
Ghidorah being an alien definitely brings up some new questions, like "Where did he come from?" and "Are there other alien titans out there?". Gigan would be a cool way of exploring those ideas.