Sign in with your E-Mail & Password

Log in to view your personalized notifications across Scified!

Godzilla Discussion Forums
Godzilla Resurgence will not be released in North American cinemas.

Godzilla Resurgence will not be released in North American cinemas.

Scified2016-04-15 10:22:11https://www.scified.com/sites_pics/519650145549993.jpg
8,055 Reads21 CommentsAdd A Comment

UPDATE (May 8th, 2016): New information and clarification of this original report can be found, here.

As it stands currently, it doesn't look like Toho's Shin-Gojira (dubbed Godzilla Resurgence for us Westerners) will be making its way to the silver screen in North America this summer. With no mention of a US theater distribution company the chances of fans in the US and Canada seeing Godzilla Resurgence in a theater are extremely low.

The only semi-confirmed distribution company for Shin-Goji in North America seems to be a company called New World Cinemas. The downside is they've only listed home entertainment release on DvD for Godzilla Resurgence. The other downside is their projected release date is set in 2017... So, G-Fans over here will need to wait half a year to see Godzilla Resurgence... On DvD. We're hoping Blu-Ray will also be available, but again, no confirmation.

Not distributing Godzilla Resurgence in North America could lead to not only a backlash from fans, but also a massive profit dip for Toho, considering the number of people who will likely turn to illegal means of viewing the film before its 2017 home entertainment release.

Back in 2000, Toho released Godzilla 2000 in North American theaters. With Godzilla now a popular topic, especially in North America, following Legendary and Warner Brothers' Hollywood Godzilla entry, it makes no sense that Toho would avoid profitting from this new found interest.

As more details concerning the release of Godzilla Resurgence are announced, we'll be sure to keep you updated! Thanks to Gormaru Island for the heads up.

If you are a fan of Godzilla, Toho and the Monsterverse and are looking for a welcoming online community to share your passion and engage with other die-hard Godzilla fans, look no further! Join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans!

With the upcoming release of Adam Wingard's Godzilla vs. Kong, now is a great time to pick your Titan and represent Godzilla or Kong! Check out some products below and click here for even more options!

Godzilla wins 2021 Shirt
Godzilla Hoodie
Kong Wins 2021 Shirt

This article was written By Chris and published on 2016-04-15 10:22:11

More about upcoming Godzilla projects

Godzilla vs. Kong was the sequel to Michael Dougherty's Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters and was the fourth and final installment in the Monsterverse movie quadrilogy. Now, the Monsterverse takes a new direction - into TV! On January 20th, 2022 Legendary announced a new live-action Godzilla Monsterverse TV Series which will stream on Apple TV Plus network! Be sure to check Godzilla-Movies often for the latest news and info on the Monsterverse TV Series and all things Toho Godzilla as well!

Stay up to date with the latest news on all things Godzilla, Toho and the Monsterverse also by liking us on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

Find more info:
Recent Godzilla / Monsterverse Articles
21 Fan responses to Godzilla Resurgence will not be released in North American cinemas.

Boilerbuzz

Mothra LarvaeMember4 XPApr-15-2016 12:34 PM

It is absolutely mind boggling how short-sighted or just plain stupid Toho can be. Maybe there is a contractual limitation with Legendary.  I don't know.  But now, I'm GOING to see this movie.  If Toho doesn't want my money, f' them. I'm more than willing to give them my money multiple times over depending on the quality. At minimum, theater and home copy is already bought even if it sucks.  But this news pretty much takes that money off the table.  I can't do a), and b) will have to acquired by other means.  Sad.

Triple X

Mothra LarvaeMember0 XPApr-15-2016 2:09 PM

Toho doesn't want your money, and it will never be about the money. They want to make a point with Godzilla Resurgence, and it's that they know how to make an awesome and better Godzilla movie than the US; because the invented Godzilla!

"It is Toho's first Godzilla film in 12 years since 2004 and is intended to be Toho's own reboot of the franchise to rival the success of Godzilla 2014."

Chris

SpaceGodzillaAdmin21074 XPApr-15-2016 2:12 PM

The problem there though, is general audiences familiar with Legendary's Godzilla won't even know what Resurgence is. So are Toho only wanting to prove their point to the Japanese filmgoers in Japan only? Or do they hope to captivate G-Fans abroad?

Triple X

Mothra LarvaeMember0 XPApr-15-2016 2:26 PM

First and above all, the japanese people! They see this as a challenge, and it's a cutlural thing. They call it the Yamato-Damashii – "the brave, daring, and indomitable spirit of Japanese people". I still think that after the release and success in japan, the chances are very high that they'll bring the movie to the US and Canada!

Huge-Ben

BaragonMember330 XPApr-15-2016 2:55 PM

So, Toho, the same company that released the live action Attack on Titan films part 1 and part 2 in select theaters isn't releasing their most famous franchise here in America? I find that hard to believe.

First of all, Godzilla 2000 , as we know it, was actually released in Japan in the year 1999. So, it then released in America about a year later.

Seeing how there isn't confirmation at this point, I'm holding off until Toho specifically states that it won't.

And, 54 never released in America until 50 years later, also in select theaters.

I just think it's weird that they won't due to the fact that Attack on Titan live action films did.

That being said, I'm going to wait until Toho officially confirms this.

Huge-Ben

BaragonMember330 XPApr-15-2016 2:57 PM

But it ain't going to stop me from finding the film on one of the Japanese websites.

GG

GiganStaff3811 XPApr-15-2016 3:07 PM

I mean, it makes sense, it would confuse audience members that ANOTHER entirely new Godzilla is in theaters.

Probably will be released in small theaters after release.

Huge-Ben

BaragonMember330 XPApr-15-2016 3:12 PM

However, it's not directed towards the general audience.

Panthalassan

Mothra LarvaeMember1 XPApr-15-2016 3:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of limited run, like they did with Attack on Titan. This movie has been quite under the radar up until just two days ago, but I'd bet the trailer piqued a few (movie) peoples' interests. Might be a little too early to call it yet.

Danzilla93

BaragonMember210 XPApr-15-2016 3:51 PM

This is awfully strange.  Of course, there has been NO confirmation that it ISN'T coming here one day, just news that it may not be coming this summer.  Remember, the AoT films came here a full three moths after release in Japan, and Godzilla 2000 a year later.  Nothing to panic about just yet.

The good news for me, and I don't mean to brag, is I will be traveling to Japan this summer and will be seeing Godzilla: Resurgence in theaters TWICE!  That should make the long wait for a domestic home video release a lot more tolerable, if I do say so myself! ;) I don't particularly care that there will be no subtitles either... its gonna be a darn-near out of body experience just being in a Toho theater in Japan seeing this film opening night.  Words cannot express how excited I am!

TitanosaurusMember924 XPApr-15-2016 5:00 PM

You know what? I don't even care anymore. As long as I get to see Shin Gojira, whether it be in theaters or in the comfort of my own home, then I'm happy.

Chris

SpaceGodzillaAdmin21074 XPApr-15-2016 5:23 PM

@DestroyahX, I can appreciate that, but I would expect (and hope) that Toho will release it over here after it has had a successful run in Japan. Like others are mentioning here, even in a limited capacity I think Toho could greatly benefit from expanding the film's exposure as well as gain new recognition from Western cultures.

@GG, I think some would be confused, but if marketed well enough, most of the general movie-going audience would understand that Shin-Gojira and Legendary's Godzilla are different films set in different universes. It's all about educating your audience prior to release which is the main purpose of marketing. I think it would only be confusing if Legendary or Warner Bros. promoted it.

Gojirapira

Mothra LarvaeMember0 XPApr-15-2016 5:52 PM

This is ridiculous. I'm very upset at this they better reconsider because one way or another i will see it before it comes out on dvd read between the lines toho...

Jamaal

Mothra LarvaeMember84 XPApr-15-2016 9:57 PM

Differentiating the Japanese-made Shin Gojira from the American-made Legendary films should be fairly easy. It's all in the promotion: "From Japan, home of Godzilla, a Toho Studios production..."  It should be emphasized that this a foreign-made film, produced by the people who created the character, the genre and the art form. A North American/United Kingdom limited release of Shin Gojira is an immense opportunity to expose a large market to a unique and beautiful art form and genre.

I Meme Everything

GiganMember4115 XPApr-16-2016 7:20 AM

GODDAMMIT

Oily Maniac

Mothra LarvaeMember0 XPApr-17-2016 2:10 AM

Sources on the dvd release please.

New World Cinema's website says this film is slated for distribution. I didn't see anything about it being a DVD release or any other plans.

In the past, North American distribution is usually announced right around the Japanese release date or shortly afterwards. Godzilla 2000 was released in the U.S. 9 months after the Japanese release. Keep in mind that only 1 "new" Japanese Godzilla film has gotten a U.S. theatrical run out of 12 films and 27 years. The odds are not good.

Keep in mind Toho doesn't distribute their films in North America. They sell the rights to people who will distribute it. Funamation did the very limited run of the "Attack on Titan" movies in theaters. And that's a HUGE anime property.

I'm not hopeful for much of a release for Godzilla:Resurgence here in the U.S. A handful of screenings at art/indie theaters by Spring 2017 if we are lucky. That's my guess. Would love to be wrong and see it get a minor theater run or even a timely VOD release.

Realistically, this will be a day 1 purchase of the Japanese blu-ray for first time viewing.

DenachikasuchusRex_4

Mothra LarvaeMember3 XPApr-17-2016 2:59 PM

This is what I honestly think. Toho is not releasing this movie in North America because they don't want us Americans using any of the used ideas for Godzilla: Resurgence for future monster movies because of how successful Godzilla movies directed in America have turned out to be. It IS said that Toho did want to rival Godzilla 2014! Hmmmmmmm. A little suspicion?

Homeward

Mothra LarvaeMember2 XPApr-18-2016 10:58 PM

If they do decided to release it in the US I wonder if it would be a subbed version or dubbed like 2000.

Jamaal

Mothra LarvaeMember84 XPApr-19-2016 5:39 AM

@Oily Maniac:

I'm thinking the same thing: Japanese Blu-ray and a Region 3 DVD for a copy with English subtitles. As we know, Toho's Blu-rays and DVD's do not have English subtitles. They have Japanese subtitles, but that doesn't help me because my Japanese needs a lot of work. A whole lot.

Chris

SpaceGodzillaAdmin21074 XPApr-19-2016 8:43 AM

Jamaal

Mothra LarvaeMember84 XPApr-19-2016 8:53 AM

Chris Picard said:

"Hopefully with the amount of people wanting to see this film in theaters, the opportunity may be profitable enough for the distributor to pursue a theater run, even if for a short time."

I hope so. There is nothing like seeing Godzilla on the big screen. An IMAX experiencing of Shin Gojira-a film made by Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi-could be overwhelming. But I just want to see it as soon as possible. But what can we do? Petition? Write letters? I'm still hoping for the best.

Enter Your E-Mail