Godzilla 2014 Sequel - Godzilla King of the Monsters - Film by

Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters releases in:

Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner

Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner

Godzilla news seems to be abundant lately. Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017) is ramping up its promotion and Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) is making noise with a big scene in Mexico. Even though Adam Wingard's Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) is the last movie on the slate of upcoming Godzilla films, he keeps the hype train going for the anticipated showdown.

Wingard spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the monster movie crossover, claiming there will be a definite winner this time around,

“I do want there to be a winner, the original film (King Kong vs. Godzilla [1962]) was very fun, but you feel a little let down that the movie doesn’t take a definitive stance. People are still debating now who won in that original movie, you know. So, I do want people to walk away from this film feeling like, Okay, there is a winner.”

Wingard also spoke to ComingSoon.net about his approach to the film, especially in regard to fans,

"The Godzilla/Kong fanbase is very different. They’re just really excited that anybody is taking this stuff seriously. They can smell a fake from a mile away, so if your enthusiasm isn’t real then they’ll eat you alive. As soon as you can prove that your intentions are true to the source material, that’s all that matters, specifically if you’re dealing with big monsters. You really have to take them seriously, almost as people.

Godzilla has gone through so many iterations. He’s been a bad guy, he’s been a good guy, he’s been a conflicted guy. There’s so many different things you can do with it, but it’s not drawing on one core story and its always been about the evolution of the character. They’re going in a great direction with it so far. I just went on the set of “Godzilla 2,” got to peak in on that and it looks totally awesome and the vibe that they’re going for is great. It’s a cool tradition to jump into, but it’s also one of those things where at a certain point you have to take it very seriously. Even though these are big, wild monster movies the origin of that is really from World War II and Hiroshima. If you watch that first film it’s really a sad movie. It’s a really depressing exploration of that, so you always have to remember at the end of the day the reason you’re here is because a major catastrophe took place. There’s this underlying darkness under it all, but at the end of the day it is for kids as well. Its evolved into this whole other thing that means so many things to different people."

Wingard also noted the positive atmosphere on the set of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, particularly director Michael Dougherty's enthusiastic demeanor.

“Part of me just wanted to go there and see what a $200 million — or whatever it’s costing — movie liked like. And I was kind of relieved to see that, at a certain point, movies can only get so big. That’s kind of what I got from it. It was really educational, just from that perspective. Mike was really nice. I’d never met him before. I walked up to him on set and he was taking pictures of one of the props or something, and he was laughing with somebody, and I was like, ‘Oh, this was really encouraging, to see that you’re smiling and looking happy!’ Because he was halfway through that production, so he could have been in horrible shape.”

What do you think of Godzilla vs. Kong having a clear winner? Do you think this means the two monsters will not team up? What about Wingard's approach with fans and his perception of the Godzilla: King of the Monsters set? Sound off below!
Sources:
Entertainment Weekly
ComingSoon.net
Banner art by sahinduezguen on Deviantart

Godzilla fas looking to discover more about the Godzilla sequel King of the Monsters are encouraged to join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla Movies Articles

New SH MonsterArts Godzilla 2002 Images

New SH MonsterArts Godzilla 2002 Images

Earlier this month Godzilla against MechaGodzilla star Yumiko Shaku and director Masaaki Tezuka announced an SH MonsterArts release of the 2002 Godzilla. For the film's 15th annive... Read More

23 Fan responses to Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner

TherizinoRex(Not New BTW)

Aug-19-2017 8:24 PM

Personally, I think the fight between Godzilla and Kong could be similar to the fight between Captain America and Iron Man from CACW in some ways, like neither of them dies but one of them would get beat up badly(plz forgive me if my English sucks).

Fish22

Aug-19-2017 8:29 PM

I think they should fight each other and then have to band together to fight mechagodzilla.  After destroying mechagodzilla they should go back to their respective homes.

TherizinoRex(Not New BTW)

Aug-19-2017 8:29 PM

^

No mechs, they need a break.

Fish22

Aug-19-2017 8:39 PM

Either way I would like to see them fight something together.  A CGI mechagodzilla would be epically brutal but I know where you are coming from

Lengendary signed a contract that says Godzilla can not die. So we will see what happens there.

TherizinoRex(Not New BTW)

Aug-19-2017 8:46 PM

^

I want Hedorah(He could be a blob that collects skeletal remains of random monsters and uses them to build a body) to be the third monster, probably won't happen tho.

Patzilla

Aug-19-2017 9:53 PM

All I want to know is if one of them dies. I hope not because then more movies could come out of it. I can imagine it like a boxing match where one wins but no one dies.

Aug-19-2017 10:11 PM

I'm more enthusiastic about how Wingard described the Godzilla 2 set. It seems like everything is going smoothly and there are no troubles. This is good, time is money.

Aug-20-2017 4:51 AM

Whoever wins, it'll be one hell of a fight.

RR44

Aug-20-2017 8:13 AM

It will be just like Batman V Superman.. and Ghidorah will be the big enemy and the battle ground will be skull island.. and since G vs K will be the last film in the series.. G will succumb to injuries and die.. Kong will be left standing over Ghidorah's dead body and Kong will look over at Godzilla and know that he will have to keep the balance of nature in order.. hence.. KING KONG..... of coarse.. that's only because Toho wont let them make more G films.. but who knows.. Toho could change their minds after GKOTM. The potential for making money is epic and keeping the franchise going.. would be a goal for Toho. Deep down.. I think they realize the potential of this new branch of the franchise... and depending on it's success or failure.. will determine their coarse of action.

Mind you.. this is my theory.

Aug-20-2017 9:54 AM

"Mind you.. this is all speculation."

Oh, gee. Really?

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Aug-20-2017 11:43 AM

Honestly even though Wingard did confirm that there will be other kaiju in the film, I doubt there is going to be  a team up. After thinking about it and then him confirming there will be a winner I think it's just gonna be a straight up fight. I doubt either one will die (in fact I doubt think they can contractually kill Godzilla) but I think one of them will be severely beaten, almost to death.

The King of the Monsters

Aug-20-2017 12:37 PM

There can still be a clear winner even if there is a team-up, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question. Maybe one firmly beats the other but the greater threat claims his attention before he can kill him.

That being said, this film is sounding more like Captain America: Civil War than Batman v. Superman. I could see a scenario where neither Godzilla nor Kong is the villain and are being pitted against each other by a human villain in the hopes they will kill each other. By the end the maybe the villain's plot is foiled by Monarch and Godzilla and Kong both walk away from the fight alive, even though one has clearly won the battle. I just don't see Legendary killing either one off.

Aug-20-2017 1:13 PM

Wingard stated there would be a winner, but he did not indicate there wouldn't be a team-up or that the loser would die. You can have the bell ring in one's favor, but still include the former possibilities.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Aug-20-2017 1:24 PM

I'm very much fine with them teaming up, it's just that there will certainly be a firm winner. I knew that neither one would die, as Legendary's contract with Toho says that Godzilla can't die.

Kaiju-Man257

Aug-20-2017 6:49 PM

Calling it now - Kong's going to win. I just have that feeling.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Aug-20-2017 7:54 PM

I doubt it, my reasoning is simple. In Toho's book, Kong won in the original. For over 60 years people have been waiting for another one so Godzilla could win. If they made Kong win again that would be ridiculous.

Aug-20-2017 9:11 PM

There's actually conflicting sources from Toho about who won in the original. The 1962 press release (which I put more stock in) claims Kong wins. Years later Tanaka claimed it was a tie in two different sources. So the debate seems unending.

As for the victor, Wingard's been talking about Godzilla more in these articles than he has Kong. Additionally, he put up a poll on twitter asking who fans think would win in a fight. Godzilla won by a landslide. I'm not saying he's one to merely do it via fan pressure, but he's doing his homework and talking up one over the other for some reason.

Something Real

Aug-20-2017 9:17 PM

GMAN2887 - As long as the battle is well-fought and satisfies my desire for Kaiju carnage, I do not care which monster wins. I simply want both monsters to know they had a real fight by the time the bell is rung. :)

RR44

Aug-21-2017 4:12 AM

G.H. I get it.  I should have said.. my theory instead.

Aug-21-2017 5:40 AM

By what is stated, and what G.H. stated, Wingard didn't say there wont be a team up but a clear winner. I don't think Godzilla will lose. the franchise can expand much father with Godzilla and other Toho monsters than Kong. I think Toho will wait to see what happens with GKOTM, see what the bank looks like after and simply wait till the series dies out to start making Godzilla movies again. But if both movies make bank then I cant see why Legendary cant keep making Godzilla movies. ^That's my theory.

But as long as they have a great fight or fights, then Ill be happy with whomever loses! They need many battle scenes for this movie. Plus GVK needs to make up for lack in MUTO's as apposed to GKOTM, where there are 4 monsters(at least). So many fights between the 2 or more will need to stand up to 4 monsters in the previous film.

The King of the Monsters

Aug-21-2017 6:35 PM

^ I don't think the performance of Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong will necessarily be the deciding factor in the MonsterVerse continuing. I think Toho has already made up their minds and want sole possession of the film rights after 2020 and don't intend to renew their contract with Legendary. I'm sure Legendary is aware of this and not expecting to have access to Godzilla after Godzilla vs. Kong, but who knows, maybe the films will perform so well Legendary will be willing to bargain aggressively and offer Toho more so they can keep the rights. But personally, I expect Legendary's contract will end after Godzilla vs. Kong and Toho will start production on their next live-action film afterward.

Godzilla 2014 Himself

Aug-21-2017 6:45 PM

Sadly I think that's what will happen, which really sucks.

Aug-22-2017 7:54 AM

We can still hope right? I guess time will tell. I think Toho doesn't like to be put in the corner. Being told what they can and cant do with there character they created, in a country where Godzilla reigns.

No matter what, I do believe there will be more Godzilla movies after GvK. Toho films or not.

Password

or Create an Account

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster . Providing the latest official and accurate information on , this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for 's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Your account has not yet been verified. Please check your email for the verification link to begin posting.

Please review our rules before sharing content

Use Your E-Mail: