Fans Online
57% Team Godzilla
12% Team Rodan
11% Team Mothra
20% Team Ghidorah
Godzilla NewsTrailersGodzilla 2 TrailerGodzilla ShirtsGodzilla shirtFeatured Topics

Kyle Chandler cast in Godzilla: King of Monsters!

Kyle Chandler cast in Godzilla: King of Monsters!

The Godzilla sequel has found another extremely noteworthy addition to the cast. Variety reports that Kyle Chandler has been tapped to join the cast of Godzilla: King of Monsters. He will reportedly play the father of Millie Bobby Brown's character in the much anticipated sequel.

It appears that Chandler's character will be central to the story, and that the sequel will take place through the perspective of this family. Variety also reported that the only cast member likely to return from the 2014 movie was Ken Watanabe.

Kyle Chandler's notable film credits include The Wolf of Wall Street, Super 8, and Zero Dark Thirty. He is also notable for his recurring roles in the television series Friday Night Lights and Bloodline.

Godzilla King: Monsters will release on Mar. 22, 2019. The film will be directed by Michael Dougherty, and written by Zach Shields. Stay tuned to Scified as more casting news breaks!

Source: Variety

This article was written By Matt and published on 2017-02-21 15:27:09

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters Articles

23 Fan responses to Kyle Chandler cast in Godzilla: King of Monsters!

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Feb-21-2017 3:41 PM

Not the most inspired casting, but he's quite the talent when used well. He'll be a solid addition. Glad to hear Watanabe is likely to return. I just hope they actually give him something to do that's center to the action this time.

JurassicNight

Feb-21-2017 5:25 PM

@Gman2887 same, I'm happy their bringing Watanabe back yet focusing on a different group of people.

Facehuggers

Feb-21-2017 5:53 PM

Isn't this the guy from Peter Jackson's King Kong? If so, HA!

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Feb-21-2017 5:59 PM

Facehuggers,
Yup.

Ultrazero80

Feb-21-2017 6:05 PM

Who did he play in Kong?

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Feb-21-2017 6:20 PM

He was Bruce Baxter. The actor that was suppose to star in Denham's film.

Danzilla93 #TeamMothra

Feb-21-2017 6:22 PM

^He played Bruce Baxter, a full-of-himself 1930's movie star that Carl Denham brings along to star in his picture.  He's hysterical in that movie.

I'm so happy to hear this!  I love this guy!!!!  I love his performance in Kong and Super 8, and I always get excited when I see him in a movie.  He's just a cool guy.  Awesome news!

Ultrazero80

Feb-21-2017 6:57 PM

Oh ok, Thank you Gman.

Jamaal

Feb-21-2017 8:31 PM

What about Sally Hawkins? I thought she and Watanabe played well off each other as Serizawa and Graham.

Jamaal

Feb-21-2017 8:34 PM

Speaking of Godzilla: I wonder if Legendary will tweak his design?

jiger9899

Feb-22-2017 1:57 AM

I hope his design stays the way it is.

Whalezilla #TeamGodzilla

Feb-22-2017 5:34 AM

I like that they ditched the original cast except Watanabe. Aaron Taylor Johnson could not show emotion in G14

KoldWarKid62

Feb-22-2017 5:57 AM

I like it. He plays a very good every man, and is a likeable character actor. Jamaal, I was wondering the same thing about the design, seeing as it's a new director. I wouldn't mind if they tweaked it a bit. Looking forward to Dougherty's take.

G. H. (Gman) #TeamGhidorah

Feb-22-2017 10:32 AM

I'm all for tweaking the design. It's by no means a perfect design and Godzilla's look has changed from move to movie before anyway. Go for it.

JurassicNight

Feb-22-2017 1:06 PM

@Gman2887 agreed. I feel like if they tried hard enough they could make an even better design.

Homeward

Feb-22-2017 4:12 PM

Honestly was it ever confirmed in the last film that the Godzilla shown was the last of his kind? If not there could be 2 or 3 more still left. Can be used as a way to have a slightly different design.

The King of the Monsters

Feb-22-2017 6:41 PM

Just having more Godzillas appear would be a cop-out and take away from the importance of Godzilla as a character in my opinion. I'm all for maybe showing flashbacks of other members of his kind or maybe having a juvenile in the vein of Minilla or Godzilla Junior appearing, but not just suddenly introducing more Godzillas that look slightly different just to reestablish Godzilla with a new design. If they really want to change Godzilla's design, they can just do it and not worry about explaining it, since Toho has done the same thing countless times in the past.

Jamaal

Feb-22-2017 10:31 PM

I liked the GarethGoji (or whatever it's being called). But, with a new director some tweaking might be interesting, especially if Godzilla is portrayed differently. I've always loved this:

I would love to see the ShodaiGoji recapitulated, using the latest VFX.

Jamaal

Feb-22-2017 10:37 PM

Since they're using the title "Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters" (which is great, IMO), a scene of Steve Martin-like on-the-scene-reporting might be a nice homage. Especially so if the design bares a definite resemblance to the 1954 version.

Just thinking out loud from over 700 and some odd days out.

Jamaal

Feb-22-2017 10:46 PM

@KoldWarKid62

"I wouldn't mind if they tweaked it a bit. Looking forward to Dougherty's take."

Me too. I'm starting to get more interested in the whole project. Two years can go pretty fast. With a new director, one would hope there will be a markedly different direction. I would like to see a Godzilla who doesn't allow the US Navy to escort him across the ocean. Scary is what I want to see. So it should be reflected in the design. With all those airborne giant monsters, the potential for monumental chaos is immense. I'm thinking King Ghidorah has to be a bad guy. And he should be huge, overwhelming.

Yep. Starting to get Godzilla 2 fever.

JurassicNight

Feb-23-2017 9:24 AM

@Jamaal Same, I'm wanting a Godzilla who'll destroy buildings and fight the military.

KoldWarKid62

Feb-23-2017 10:23 AM

@Jamaal - As much as I’d love to see that happen, I don’t see them changing his “character” that drastically. They’ve already established him as, if not an anti-hero, then certainly not a malicious monster. It would take real cojones to turn around and make him scary and/or bad. I’d love to see that classic military versus Godzilla scene, as opposed to him being shot at and basically ignoring the military altogether.

If we’re lucky enough to get to it, I envision he and Kong going at it initially, but then uniting against some common foe, a la Batman V Superman, with neither character necessarily being the antagonist, or “bad guy”.

Either way, I’m looking forward to this, and I already have my ticket purchased for Kong: Skull Island (7:30 pm, 3/9).

Jamaal

Feb-23-2017 2:46 PM

@Godzilla 2014 Himself: My sentiments, exactly. Godzilla should be a menace, malevolent. The Legendary take was good, almost Gamera-like, as he was here to 'restore balance.' But, with a new director, I would like to see a kaiju that is more scary and frightening.

@KoldWarKid62: An anti-hero Godzilla is great-we've seen it done-but I would just like to see him more unpredictable, more dangerous. There was a moment in Godzilla 2014 when Godzilla and Lieutenant Brody seemed to exchange glances. That kind of characterization went with the general tone of the film. But, personally, I would like to see a film, and, a Godzilla that is edgier, unpredictable, with moments of horror.

I hope Godzilla 2: The King of the Monsters is shocking and wild.

Member
Drosthra just joined Team Mothra!
Member
Gmkgoji started a new discussion: UPDATE 2:Godzilla comic on the Godzilla Movies forum
Member
Gmkgoji replied to LEGO rodan

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.