Release Date
Fans Online
Get TicketsGodzilla ShirtsGodzilla shirtFeatured

More Images of Anime MechaGodzilla Surface!

More Images of Anime MechaGodzilla Surface!

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle, the second anime installment and sequel to last year's Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, opens in (a likely limited amount of) Japanese theaters this Friday. Though MechaGodzilla has been touted as Godzilla's adversary in the latest film, Toho has played coy with the age old mecha's appearance. Luckily, official images of MechaGodzilla's silhouette and advertisements give fans a better look at Godzilla's mechanical doppelganger:

Below is an ad for City on the Edge of Battle merchandise that shows off MechaGodzilla in the form of key chains and other memorabilia:

Gormaru Island has an even better look at the full design which you can see on their page.

What do you think of MechaGodzilla's latest design so far? How does it stack up to prior designs--Including Ready Player One? Let us know in the comments below.

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle stars the voice talents of Mamoru Miyano (Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Ultraman Zero: The Movie), Takahiro Sakurai (Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans), Kana Hanazawa (.hack//Quantum), Yuki Kaji (Attack on Titan), Tomokazu Sugita (Attack on Titan), Junichi Suwabe (Space Dandy), Kenta Miyake (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn), Kenyu Horiuchi (Bleach, One Piece), Kazuhiro Yamaji (Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children), Kazuya Nakai (Dragon Ball Super) and Ari Ozawa (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun). The film is directed by Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare) & Hiroyuki Seshita (Knights of Sidonia) from a screenplay by Gen Urobuchi (Kamen Rider Gaim).

The film will hit Japanese theaters this Friday, May 18th, 2018.

The first film in the Godzilla anime trilogy, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters is currently streaming on Netflix.
Sources:
Godzilla Anime Official Website
Gormaru Island

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters Articles

Final Godzilla Anime Gets a New Poster

Final Godzilla Anime Gets a New Poster

A new poster has arrived for the final film in the controversial Godzilla Anime Trilogy. The final film, directed by Kobun Shizuno and Hiroyuki Seshita, arrives in Japanese theater... Read More

14 Fan responses to More Images of Anime MechaGodzilla Surface!

May-16-2018 7:33 PM

I dig how "alien" this design is, especially since it's built by an alien race, but not as an exact doppelganger of Godzilla. I appreciate that the filmmakers are going in a different direction. My only concern is how it functionally works in the story:

ex: How do all the dorsal plates and all the pointy bits work for this? Are they aesthetic or functional?

I'm also curious how it'll animate.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-16-2018 9:00 PM

And this is the same thing I was fearing for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom when everyone started talking about what the Indoraptor design looked like, both before and when the trailers came out.

If anything, I might be one of the last few people on Earth at all that wants no spoilers about something until it comes out. Unless anyone else agrees?

Tiamatzilla

May-16-2018 11:04 PM

I'm not a fan of this new Mecha-Godzilla design. It head looks more like an ant than a Lizard. Worst M.G. ever. I hope Godzilla smashes it up like 1975. Haven't seen Ready Player One yet but it's M.G looks sweet! Kiryu looked the best but I don't buy the oxygen destroyer could harm Godzilla so not a fan of its origins and no way it could win against the invincible millennium Godzilla. M.G.2 was awesome but harpoons would shatter on Godzilla's scales and electricity should only power him up. Rodan's death really pissed me off. The 70's is where it's at. The original M.G. was Beautiful and effective. Not a fan of the seeing Godzilla's blood, Toho biffed that but over all big G crushed that tin can well. Terror of M.G. is one of my favorites!

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-16-2018 11:10 PM

"Terror of M.G. is one of my favorites!"

May-17-2018 5:04 AM

At first I wasn't sure about the design, but now I'm kinda digging it. I mean, it's not my favorite look for MechaGodzilla but it still looks pretty cool. I'm liking the alien skeletal design. I like this look more than the Ready Player One design honestly. I didn't like the arms on that one. They just didn't look right to me. In any case, I can't wait for this movie.

May-17-2018 6:10 AM

"Is that also ignoring the other monster in it, Titanosaurus (aka the worst noise ever heard in the Godzilla franchise)?"

Titanosaurus is awesome and Terror of MechaGodzilla is one of the best in the series.

May-17-2018 7:32 AM

^agreed

nothing can beat the 70's Mechagodzilla. But this is an interesting design. My opinion will wait until I see it in action, but its cool so far.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-17-2018 9:28 AM

Ok, fine. I meant that Titanosaurus' roar is annoying.

And I do agree that 70's Mechagodzilla is the best. I just hope that they give this Mechagodzilla some weapon as an homage to the 70's one, maybe even disguising it as another Godzilla. Something similar to this:Image result for mechagodzilla reveal gif

Who agrees with me?

TheGMan123

May-17-2018 3:51 PM

I personally really like this iteration of the character.

It fits with the whole different directions that the Toho reboots have been taking with the franchise. Plus, it looks exactly as alien as an alien war robot made of Applied Phlebtonium would look like.

Tiamatzilla

May-17-2018 5:43 PM

Titanosaurs rules! I felt bad for him through the whole film. He should have been on Godzilla's side but it's a great testament to the big G's power to be able to handle the two most powerful kaiju under the invincible King Ghidorah by himself. It's always nice to see Godzilla take on multiple foes and have it done right. They did us a solid on not killing the mighty Titanosaurs! We need Titanosaurs back and he needs to be indestructible and immortal! Don't bunk him over like they did to Manda a in Final Wars. That was very upsetting.

The Jurassic Bootleg

May-17-2018 7:55 PM

It looks more like a starving bipedal stegosaurus, I'll fully judge it when I see the film.

And Titanosaurus' roar honestly never bothered me.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-17-2018 10:40 PM

First, no, this is not spam. I'm just asking a question.

And second, am I the only one that knows about this? I found it on tohokingdom.com, and it says, "We are sad to report that actress Yuriko Hoshi has passed away today. Best known as one of the leads in Mothra vs. Godzilla(1964), The Last War (1961) and many other productions, Hoshi was an exceptional and talented actress who will be missed." Does anyone else know about this, or am I the first?

May-18-2018 6:14 AM

MinecraftDinoKaiju,
Yes it is spam at this point. STOP posting the same thing over and over. If you have a question, use the forum for an original topic. Do not post the same thing repeatedly on multiple articles. There's no point. You've been warned.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-18-2018 10:04 AM

Ok, I'll stop. But the thing is, my email is not verified, so unfortunately, I can't create forums for these things. That's why I instead deliver the message if it's not on the website.

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.