Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) News ArticleLatest Godzilla News Headline: Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner
105 Now OnlineOpen Forums   ❱

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - Film by Michael Dougherty

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) releases in:

New Godzilla: Monster Planet Poster Reveals New Design

New Godzilla: Monster Planet Poster Reveals New Design

The Godzilla: Monster Planet Twitter and official website has finally revealed a new poster that gives us our first glimpse of the King of the Monsters' "20,000 year old" form. It's interesting to point out that the new design seems heavily inspired by Legendary Pictures' 2014 Godzilla--Though the spines are clearly larger and more traditional in design. Take a look:

The art style makes it difficult to determine details on the new design. We'll have to wait for more images to see just how close the new look is to the 2014 iteration.

What do you think of the new design? Do you like that it's close to the 2014 look? Or do you wish it was something a little more unique to the upcoming film? Let us know in the comments below.
Sources:
Godzilla: Monster Planet Official Twitter
Godzilla: Monster Planet Official Website

For Godzilla fans looking forward to Michael Dougherty's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), be sure to join in our Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Michael Dougherty's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) movie by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Articles

Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner

Godzilla vs. Kong Will Have a Clear Winner

*Godzilla news seems to be abundant lately. Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017) is ramping up its promotion and Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) is making noise with a big... Read More

Replies

The Vengeful RexJun-12-2017 1:36 PM

Love the Legendary-esque design!

Emperor GorillaGodzillaJun-12-2017 1:36 PM

Now this, is a really cool Godzilla.

Dragon King Ultrazero80Jun-12-2017 1:41 PM

I like this design.

Im DurpJun-12-2017 1:43 PM

Wow was not expecting them to go this close to legendary's design.

The Vengeful RexJun-12-2017 1:44 PM

^^

Something RealJun-12-2017 1:46 PM

Saints alive! This Godzilla appears extremely powerful in form! :)

TheGMan123Jun-12-2017 3:02 PM

I wonder how big he'll be, and if he'll be the next Godzilla to clain the title of "largest" :P

KingKaijuGojiraJun-12-2017 3:03 PM

I agree Something Real. I sure He'll be incredibly powerful. Can't wait until they reveal more of Godzilla's anime design.

Godzilla: King of the MonstersJun-12-2017 3:08 PM

I will absolutely agree that this a very menacing and powerful looking Godzilla. He surely does have the look of killer in my opinion as what he'll do to some other monsters. I'm happy with this design. I hope they release more.

It does look like the Legendary Godzilla, but this one seems to have been down the dark road more and that he's already been in so much battling already.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-12-2017 4:52 PM

I guess I'm the only one disappointed. I'll need to see more of it, and in action, before I pass judgment, but this feels wholly unoriginal, especially for an anime. We already have the MonsterVerse Godzilla from Legendary Pictures. And Toho wisely decided to run in the opposite direction to create something new and unique for Shin Godzilla.

Now Polygon gets a hold of Godzilla for a bold, fresh story and all they decide to do is ape the 2014 design? This is an anime--For all the creative talent out there, basically updating the 2014 look feels fairly lazy and unexciting. I expected something different and wild.

Now if this were the updated look for Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019, I'd be completely on board. That makes sense. But this seems like a botched opportunity to take advantage of something different and unique unto itself.

It doesn't break the movie since it clearly looks like Godzilla, but I hope I end up liking it more when further images are released.

YukisSpecialJun-12-2017 4:53 PM

Wasn't sure what to expect but honestly very happy with it, I'm a big fan of all of Godzilla's more "crocodile" looking versions.  Can't wait to see it in action along with the rest of the kaiju cast.

The King of the MonstersJun-12-2017 6:26 PM

I kind of wanted Polygon to go all out and create a unique and exaggerated Godzilla design, taking full advantage of what the animated medium has to offer. But I'm not too disappointed with the Legendary-esque design, since I really like that design and feel it is a very solid representation of Godzilla. It looks old and majestic, which is fitting for this incarnation of Godzilla given he has been ruling over Earth for 20,000 years. Hopefully the actual design has some unique traits that make it more than just an animated LegendaryGoji.

And for the record, it has been confirmed that this will (again) be the largest incarnation of Godzilla to date, standing taller than Shin Godzilla.

RR44Jun-12-2017 8:35 PM

not too shabby.. very muscular. need more details on the over all look.

Sci-Fi King25Jun-12-2017 9:14 PM

I think it's too close to Legendary's Godzilla, but it has some potential to be a little more unique as we get more details such as height, abilities, and color.

Imperial96Jun-13-2017 9:09 AM

Think we might get a S.H. Monsterarts figure of this?

ChrisJun-13-2017 9:40 AM

I'm totally fine with it being close to Legendary's Godzilla. It's one of my favorite designs for Godzilla anyways.

KingKaijuGojiraJun-13-2017 10:33 AM

I think it's a possibility Imperial96. With this being Godzilla's first anime there may be a chance of Tamashii Nations making an S.H. MonsterArts figure.

Kaiju-Man257Jun-13-2017 1:42 PM

Well, I'm glad to see they used my favorite Godzilla design (or at least something close to it) for this.

TheGMan123Jun-13-2017 2:32 PM

Given that it's confirmed that MonsterPlanetGoji(?) is the tallest non-Marvel Godzilla to date, how tall are we predicting? JUST edging out ShinGoji's 118.5 meters, or are we going BEYOND Marvel Godzilla, clocking out beyond 150 meters?

Kaiju-Man257Jun-13-2017 2:39 PM

^ I honestly think he will be freaking massive. Probably gonna be the biggest Godzilla to date. You know how anime is - they like their OP characters.

Dragon King Ultrazero80Jun-13-2017 2:44 PM

I kinda have to agree with Gman now. At first I liked this design but after all I've heard about the director of this anime I was expecting something more over the top and creative.

The King of the MonstersJun-13-2017 5:36 PM

I'd say 150 meters is a nice solid height for this Godzilla. It will firmly make him the tallest confirmed Godzilla to date, finally edging out the 122-meter Hanna-Barbera Godzilla. It also puts him above the huge class of 120 meter monsters, including Biollante, SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, etc.

KingKaijuGojiraJun-13-2017 6:28 PM

It would also make him the same height as the Heisei incarnation of King Ghidorah.

The King of the MonstersJun-13-2017 7:45 PM

It depends on which height you go with for the Heisei King Ghidorah. Sources inconsistently label him as either 140 or 150 meters tall. His wingspan is also inconsistent.

Either way, being 150 meters tall would make him at the very least tied for the tallest monster in a Godzilla film.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-13-2017 8:55 PM

^The King of the Monsters,
What does Toho's Special Effects All Monster Encyclopedia put Heisei King Ghidorah at? I've only ever seen the 150m height listed for him.

TheGMan123Jun-14-2017 3:39 AM

From all the sources I've seen (I'm not 100% on this, though), the Heisei King Ghidorah is actually around 140 meters tall, as is Keizer King Ghidorah.

It might've been the video games that added an extra 10 meters to the character.

YukisSpecialJun-14-2017 4:43 AM

My first source of information on the height matter was the Official Godzilla Compendium in the late 90s, which by all indication was accurate from whatever information JD Lees and Marc Cerasini were given by Toho at the time, which listed the height of Heisei Ghidorah and Mecha KG as 150 m.  All of the other information they used in the book has held up to be officially accurate since, so I have no reason to assume they were incorrect.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-14-2017 6:00 AM

^I have plenty of issues with the Compendium, but I never found the monster profiles to be at fault. The monster stats for the Trendmasters toys from 1993 also put both King Ghidorah and Mecha King Ghidorah at 150 meters. I also notice that many long running fan sites like Toho Kingdom and Rodan's Roost have them at 150 meters. The 140 meter thing seems sort of recent to me.

YukisSpecialJun-14-2017 9:54 AM

I am completely not surprised at this point to find you have issues with a Compendium compiled by esteemed fellow super fans, G Man :P  As for this new design I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked for them to be more creative, but it also feels nice that in a sense Japan seems to be acknowledging the Legendary design with this choice, because on the whole I did find it to be a very agreeable design, but also it means I'm just not disappointed in something worse.  I love Shin Godzilla for its own merits but I just never fully enjoyed the design there.  For me it's a "count my blessings" type of thing.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-14-2017 10:34 AM

I guess? The whole idea seems too safe to me. I'd almost rather have a new design that took a risk and I'm not a fan of, than a 2014-redux. At least former would have evoked a sense of creative ingenuity that I could respect more.

As for the Compendium, it was the right thing to do with the wrong content to do it with. And having had less than cordial communication with a certain highly defensive author, I can connect the dots with what happened. I enjoyed his fiction a lot, though. There's just a lot better books out there on the material to dig in to, and from more respectable "super fans" no less. (Kalat, Ryfle, Godizewski, Ragone, Tucker, etc.)

YukisSpecialJun-14-2017 12:03 PM

"More respectable" is a matter of opinion and experience.  My good friend Nick Driscoll is on staff at Toho Kingdom and has reviewed a lot of books over the course of the fandom and related materials and has his own issues with the authors you've mentioned, not to mention at least one name on that list of yours that my own experience showed him to be a very very knowledgeable but supremely arrogant individual who did nothing to make me want to read his work further.  It's just important to remember that especially in the late 90s when the Compendium and other works were coming out these far more accurate books were a godsend before the internet age for many of us that grew up either in the dark or with hilariously inaccurate materials like the Ian Thorne book.

The King of the MonstersJun-14-2017 12:32 PM

I'll have to actually look through some of our sources on Wikizilla, but the Compendium and most earlier sources give the Heisei King Ghidorah's height as 150 meters, but some recent sources say 140 meters instead. Japanese Wikipedia uses the 140 meter stat, as does the 2014 PlayStation 3 and 4 Godzilla game.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-14-2017 2:15 PM

"not to mention at least one name on that list of yours that my own experience showed him to be a very very knowledgeable but supremely arrogant individual who did nothing to make me want to read his work further."

Some months are just more enjoyable in person than online, I assure you. ;)

I've read a few of Driscoll's reviews and I think he does good job peeling through them and pointing out the flaws. (I can't recall if he caught Kalat's "Kiryu Trilogy" error though.) Still the issues are nowhere near as glaring as the book in question. In any case, I'll concede the Compendium was a fun throwaway book, sure, but ever since losing it, nothing I'll be combing the lands to retrieve.

The King of the Monsters,
So the 140m thing seems like a recent retcon--Or oversight. I'm not sure. Perhaps they just decided the height was a little difficult to swallow? (But Showa King Ghidorah's isn't? :/ )

YukisSpecialJun-14-2017 3:22 PM

"A fun throwaway book".

Yeah, sorry, but it's those kinds of remarks that disgruntle me in any fandom, but ever increasingly the kaiju one.  I don't know you personally, G Man, I'm sure you're a decent guy and your writing and research are exemplary, but that's the snob side of the fandom that I don't care for.  It is what it is though, but every year I hang around fans the more aware I become that I enjoy the company and thoughts of fans who shy away from the hyper critical side and embrace a more open minded sense of fun.  It's just personalities and tastes, I get it, but there's echoes here of the discontent and sometimes angry side of the fandom I get sick of listening to, so perhaps it's best I just excuse myself.  My greatest satisfaction lies in fan creation, especially fan comics and art pieces so I should probably just stay there.  Thank you though for being a fair guy, I've disagreed with guys online who truly seem to have no concept of decency whatsoever ;)

Godzilla 2014 HimselfJun-14-2017 6:25 PM

I'm hoping he'll be taller than the mountains, like insanely tall. It would make sense given that the one kaiju thing released a month ago said that his first appearance killed like 1 billion people.

Huge-BenJun-14-2017 6:37 PM

Hasn't king ghidorah always been 50 meters taller than Godzilla?

Anyway, the design as of right now feels like a step backwards. Even though no solid details have been shown yet, and considering this is only concept art. I'll have to see it in action before I make final judgment.

Also @YukisSpecial,

The compendium book by J.D. Lees is a complete ripoff of Ed Godziszewski's book, the illustrated encyclopedia of godzilla, that came out 4 years before that compendium book. In fact, I can tell just how much J.D. Lees uses Ed Godziszewski's book and reversed a lot of information. Not trying to downgrade here at all by the way, just saying comparing the two side by side, it makes me cringe at what was rewritten.

KingKaijuGojiraJun-14-2017 6:49 PM

Yes Huge-Ben. Ghidorah has always been 50 meters taller than Godzilla with the exception of GMK.

Huge-BenJun-14-2017 7:08 PM

^

I know. I was being sarcastic with that question. Gmk and final wars. Kaiser ghidorah is confirmed at 140 meters.

Godzilla: King of the MonstersJun-14-2017 7:13 PM

^So, if that trend continues, not saying it will, but I'm just throwing in a number, were probably looking at the Legendary King Ghidorah to be 158 meters tall (or 518 feet tall). I personally wouldn't mind that number for the new King Ghidorah, but if they do a bigger one, I'm still fine with it.

Again though, not saying it will happen, but because of what was mentioned above, I was just throwing in a guess.

Still though, a 518 foot tall King Ghidorah, that's a monster definitely not to be messed with on a one-on-one match.

Godzilla: King of the MonstersJun-14-2017 7:21 PM

Funny though how this topic went from speaking about the anime Godzilla's design to discussing what's King Ghidorah's actual height.

But I'll always enjoy speaking about anything regarding the Godzilla franchise.

Huge-BenJun-14-2017 7:29 PM

I would have guessed the same thing. From 158-160 meters tops. We've had numerous topics isolated on one thing in the past but, we all often get carried away with different subjects on Godzilla just like what happened here. It's nothing really new, at least for me, at this point. Just as long as there's no flame wars and immaturity, it'll be fine.

Vice versa though. It's a passion amongst the fans to discuss any and all things Godzilla related.

Godzilla: King of the MonstersJun-14-2017 7:36 PM

^I agree with what you said. Though I haven't been around on this forum long enough to see that certain topics change to a different subject, I just like to have enjoyable discussions with other fellow Godzilla forum members.

KingKaijuGojiraJun-14-2017 8:25 PM

King Ghidorah and Keizer Ghidorah are separate entities. They are 2 different monsters.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-14-2017 9:01 PM

I can honestly see the Monsterverse King Ghidorah being larger than 160 meters.

The King of the MonstersJun-15-2017 8:12 PM

@GMan Oversight is the more likely answer. Toho seems to have a tendency to completely forget about some monsters' billed heights and completely replace them with different figures in all subseqent materials. The best example is Varan from Destroy All Monsters. Materials from around the film's release say he's only 10 meters tall, yet virtually every source published afterward says he's 50 meters, the same height as the 1958 Varan. I could see something similar happening in the case of the Heisei King Ghidorah.

KoldWarKid62Jun-17-2017 7:16 PM

This topic seems to have gotten off topic, but regarding the original topic, underwhelmed.

G. H. (Gman)Jun-18-2017 11:03 AM

^Agreed.

Password

or Create an Account

Godzilla News Article

Written By G. H. (Gman)
Published: 2017-06-12 13:34:11

22,750 Reads

Welcome to the Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) fan website & forum! Don't be a lurker, consider joining our community of like-minded Godzilla fans. By signing up you can comment on news articles, start your own forum topics, upload images and even win cool prizes! Over 34,747 fans have already signed up!

About Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Movie

Release Date:

March 22nd, 2019

Plot Synopsis:

The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

Latest Godzilla Movies Forum Topics

Godzilla vs. Kong: A Common Threat

3 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-20 10:29:37

Godzillapocalypse Chapter One

7 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-18 20:06:31

What would Ghidorah look like?

66 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-18 11:17:25

Matching some DC villains with some of Godzilla's villains

8 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-17 07:00:09

Anime Godzilla. A video.

1 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-16 10:30:05

The Oxygen Destroyer in Godzilla 2?

4 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-16 07:00:10

Godzilla: KotM and Gvs.K Prediction Time

10 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-15 11:17:59

When does Shin Godzilla come out on DVD/BluRay?

66 Replies, Last Post: 2017-08-15 11:08:29

Sep-15-2014 2:14 PM
9 Comments

Godzilla kills male Muto

Godzilla kills male Muto

Aug-27-2014 3:54 PM
0 Comments

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019). Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) and its associated names, logos and images are property of Warner Brothers Studios, Legendary Pictures and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)'s release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Your account has not yet been verified. Please check your email for the verification link to begin posting.

Please review our rules before sharing content

Use Your E-Mail: