Godzilla Movie

Is it wise for Legendary to release all these clips even though the movie's a month away?

951 Views30 Replies
Forum Topic

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:15 AM

The title says it all really. Personally I think it's not because it is taking away much of the movie, but let me know what you guys think!

Life is very simple, but we insist on making it complicated.

30 Replies

CobraZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:17 AM

I'm with you, it's possible to get too much.  It starts to worry me, and takes a lot of mystery out of it.

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:22 AM

Yes exactly. Gareth promised us the movie will be emotionaly demanding, yet the recently released 'Extended clip' showed us too much of the scene between Bryan and his wife. Sure it was short, but it's no going to be the same

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:22 AM

Yes exactly. Gareth promised us the movie will be emotionaly demanding, yet the recently released 'Extended clip' showed us too much of the scene between Bryan and his wife. Sure it was short, but it's no going to be the same

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:23 AM

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 8:27 AM

Holy crap how did this happen???

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-08-2014 8:29 AM

Well I feel the extended clip showed way too much and ruined as scene as I said in a thread I made earlier, but besides that 30 seconds or so I don't think there's been any overkill. I just wish they had used that 30 seconds up on something else rather than ruin the precursors to an emotionally invested scene.

Devianteist

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 9:29 AM

Seeing as I'm lagging behind the rest of the community here, and the fact I've been lagging behind as a G-Fan for the last few years (I've kinda caught up, still need to see KongvBigG).

Anyway, back on topic (got side tracked), no I believe they have not shown us too much. Why? Because all we've seen is the death, really. Not the fallout afterward. Not the emotion tearing through the hearts of the characters.

Showing that would be too much.

Showing what they have is like a piece of bread. We still need to find the full loaf.

Deviation is not shameful. Conforming is.

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 9:51 AM

True, but I'm just a bit worried. Whilst it may not be the whole thing the basic idea is still in our heads.

godzillafan1995

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 10:28 AM

if i can recall, i remeber that nearly everyone on this site was bitching at legendary for not showing much, you got what you came for now your saying that they have shown too much despite the fact that 95% of the extended look was footage we have already seen.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-08-2014 10:49 AM

I think the fact that this strategy has literally no resemblance to the Pacific Rim strategy shows there are worse ways this movie could be marketed-- and Legendary's not doing the whole, "Lambast everyone two weeks before the movie!" method. It's a slow trickle of hype and information as the weeks go by and the date gets closer.

I don't think they're showing too much and having a large stock of TV trailers to show during the NCAA Basketball championships is probably the wisest thing they've done yet.

It's hilarious how the mentality of fans has gone from "They're not advertising the movie! It's going to fail!" to "They're showing too much." Just goes to show fans really had no reason to be so negative all those months back and don't know how marketing works.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

AggressiveKaiju45

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 11:31 AM

@godzillafan1995

I actually joined in January so please forgive me that I was not there to witness the communitie's tantrums.

Like a Bossk

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 11:39 AM

Honestly, they really haven't shown that much.  Most of the trailers that have been released have the same footage on each of them except for a few differences here and there.  And most of the things that they have "shown" were very brief and you would have to dissect it to notice the details (which is done on this website).  To the common viewer of the trailers and commercials, you see nearly nothing given away.  In fact, I would wager that the majority of people that have seen the commercials and trailers haven't even seen the MUTO, let alone knows it exists.

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 12:24 PM

@Like A Bossk -  No offence but I laughed when I read this excerpt, I quote below:

" And most of the things that they have "shown" were very brief and you would have to dissect it to notice the details (which is done on this website).  To the common viewer of the trailers and commercials, you see nearly nothing given away.  In fact, I would wager that the majority of people that have seen the commercials and trailers haven't even seen the MUTO, let alone knows it exists."

May I ask, are the people in this website (you, me and everyone else included) the only ones capable of pausing a video or make a screen-grab so we could weed out more details of Godzilla? Are you sure? Aren't these trailers being played out to everyone the very same ones too which we extract info from? LMAO.

Please do not speak as if dissecting details from a short trailer like Godzilla's is akin to performing a complex procedure that requires lots of skills and surgical precision that only people like you can master or decipher. Heck, tonnes of people out there have been scrutinizing details from movie trailers using the same method ever since God knows when.

The so-called 'majority of people' you speak of are not as dumb as you think of them to be. The only ones who dun bother to scrutinize the trailer are those who either dun intend to watch the movie or they just haven't been interested enough to do so. Buh.

" Your kind feared the Darkness. "

TW_G-Fan2014

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 12:28 PM

I believe it is a wise move.

The more hype the generate close to release, the more fresh it will be in the minds of the audiences regardless of whether they're new or die hard like many of us.

Svanya

AdminGiganApr-08-2014 12:43 PM

I have stopped watching them because I don't want to ruin the movie. The same thing happened with Prometheus and watching too many ads/promos etc was fun at the time but doing that really ruined the movie plot for me, so I am not making the same mistake twice. 

Akagi

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 1:20 PM

Yeah let me tell ya, it sure is a dumb idea to barely advertise a movie for like a year or two before its released THEN a month before it comes out actually advertise it.

If anything, its more dumb that they waited this long to show this much. 

We don't live in the ancient age of dont know squat about a movie before it comes out' just the fact that people are on this forum means they wanna KNOW about the movie. There is nothing wrong with understanding a product before you buy it. Films are products, you pay to see them. I wanna know what I'm getting into.

People are such slaves to consumerism that their corperate masters pretty much have programmed everyone to think that any little bit of info about something is a 'spoiler' or a 'leak'.

He is 350ft Tall people, those things on his neck ARE gills, and the Brazil photo is part of the final advertising design-- Deal with it.

Daikaiju Danielle

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 2:38 PM

If you don't want to spoil the movie for yourself, don't watch the trailers featuring new footage. Plain and simple.

"Daddy's home- cake every night,"

gojifan02

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 3:44 PM

I'm kinda mad about Legendary & Warner Bros. showing the Janjira facilaty and the Tsunami scene. But it's overgrown me. but TOO MUCH FOOTAGE!!

RESPECT THE GOLDEN MIRUmiru

Sicoepath

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 3:47 PM

I don't think they've showed too much in the new trailer, and I did expect the wife to die since the main trailer was released. But we haven't seen the best moments and don't know anything else pretty much :D

gojifan02

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 3:54 PM

@sicopath , it's not that they've showen too much (even tho they technically have) it's more I wanted to see it in the theater, not a trailer. Same with that airport/tsunami scene!

RESPECT THE GOLDEN MIRUmiru

Akagi

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 5:01 PM

@Danielle

Agreed. 

He is 350ft Tall people, those things on his neck ARE gills, and the Brazil photo is part of the final advertising design-- Deal with it.

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 9:57 PM

@Danielle 

Some folks here are just funny. From the start they descended on this site and forum trying desperately to extract more details and demanding that the producers give us more trailers and info to satisfy them. And when the folks at Legendary decide to release more footage, they are blamed for releasing too much lol. So what do they want really?

Dragonlord Tevin

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-08-2014 11:28 PM

You all do realize that there are much more things we dont know about the movie right? I figured that this movie's gonna have a bunch of other stories connected to the movie that we totally dont know yet.

So for me, I think the advertisements going well, its not like theyre doing it like Amazing Spiderman 2 where theyre showing WAAYYY too much stuff

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 12:16 AM

@Dragonlord I agree. In fact after watching more of these Godzilla trailers, I actually find myself much more intrigued to know what the entire story really is about and the origins of the Mutos and I just can't wait to catch it in the cinema. 

And ur right about Spiderman 2, they showed way too much and I wonder what difference is it going to make whether I catch the movie or not. The trailers basically sum up the whole story - Spidey against Electro and some foes from part of the Insidious Six, and then there's Oscorp, and if you ur a marvel-universe follower, its like watching another spidey-cartoon episode with characters you already know of, just that the plot's been tweaked.

Like a Bossk

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 6:23 AM

@Destroyah-X

I never once said the general audience is dumb nor do they not have the ability to take screen shots.  My point is, that most people are not looking for those tiny details.  Honestly, if you just watch the trailer and are not really paying attention to the specifics, you can easily miss the MUTO.

I have talked to multiple people that want to see the movie but are not necassarily huge fans and they didn't notice the MUTO.  Why would people other than hardcore fans take the time to take screen shots and pause to try to find little details in a trailer?

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 7:05 AM

@Like a Bossk

Of course you never outrightly stated these people are dumb, but your statement literally meant that everyone else is ignorant about the presence of MUTOs except for people here like you, who are 'smart' enough to see that. 

And I would like to stress to you, that it is no difficult feat to gather a screenshot from a movie trailer to get a better glimpse and people DON'T have to be hardcore fans of a movie to take screenshots. FYI, I am not a hardcore fan of Spider-man 2 nor the Transformers, but I hit the pause button on the trailers because I wanted to get a better look at scenes that go too fast to be spotted at first glance. Likewise, everyone else can do the same too. 

Like I've said before, there's no hidden magic in those trailers that only Godzilla fans can unravel, it is only a matter of whether people are piqued enough to want to scrutinize those trailers to get a better look. This means a world of a difference between your claim of 'pure ignorance of the general crowd' over my reasoning that it is only a matter of whether they want to or not. And if they choose to, the Mutos can be spotted. Period.

Like a Bossk

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 7:38 AM

@Destroyah-X- I don't understand why you persist on this "you are acting like you are smarter" thing.  All I'm saying is that a lot of people do not care to look into the details.  Why is that so hard to believe?  It has nothing to do with being smart...

I have nothing wrong with people not being a hardcore fan.  Hell, I am not a hardcore Godzilla fan, the only reason I follow is because I enjoy it and I am a member or Scified.  I'm simply stating what I have experienced from people.  I know quite a few people that did not notice the MUTO and did not take the time to pause the trailer.  And who cares?  The question on the forum was if they showed too much and I asnwered that most people have not noticed what is being shown on this site.

And let me make this crystal clear for you (because you are having trouble understanding this), it has absolutley nothing to do with that persons IQ and I have no problem that some people have not taken notice to the MUTO.  It was a simple observation of what the people around me that have seen the trailer say.

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 10:55 AM

@ Like a Bossk

There's absolutely nothing for you to make crystal clear to me because I know full-well that the thread starter asks up to this point if we think Legendary has released more footage than it should when its still a month away. 

And if you think it doesn't then thats your choice and opinion, which is not what I am disputing against. What I am disputing against though is when you said you bet majority of people would never know the existence of the MUTOs in the movie other than Godzilla. You said below:

" And most of the things that they have "shown" were very brief and you would have to dissect it to notice the details (which is done on this website).  To the common viewer of the trailers and commercials, you see nearly nothing given away.  In fact, I would wager that the majority of people that have seen the commercials and trailers haven't even seen the MUTO, let alone knows it exists. "

Based on what you said above, then Legendary and Gareth Edwards should really go knock themselves in the head because their marketing and outreach has failed? Hello? Have you visited their Facebook Page and see what people are posting? Everyone's talking about the MUTOs. What about MutoResearch.net ?  Most of us here came to know about the movie, Godzilla 2014 through the internet and social media, likewise goes for the rest of the people when everyone is on the same platform. Godzilla-movies.com and Toho Kingdom are not the only places where people are talking about Godzilla btw if you realized? And when the entire internet, including news networks are talking about monsters other than Godzilla being spotted in the movie, what else is there to stop the 'common' people  (that you speak of) out there from knowing more? And btw, I'm sure u know there are tonnes of people out there who do not register themselves on Sci-fi and interact in forums like this but it doesnt mean they aren't viewing this site and reading up info on the MUTOs. Heard of the term silent majority?

And let me  state that the chances are low for someone in this day and internet-age saying: ' Dang! Im just gonna go watch Godzilla but I have never visited Godzilla's FB page, nor visited any other Godzilla movie site, nor heard of MUTO up to this point despite watching the trailers'".  

Oh yes such out-of-touch people do exist, but they are definitely NOT classified as the majority. Thank you.

Like a Bossk

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 11:05 AM

Okay, the word majority means the most out of a group of people.  Godzilla 2014 is marketing on commercials and millions of people have seen the tv version of the trailer.  I don't have the exact statistics but I would wager that MOST people that have seen the commercial did not look at the details.  And that was all I was saying.  I don't understand why you took this as so offensive.

Anyways, I don't want to keep this going because I never posted to start an argument.  I simply was answering the question based off of my opinion and experiences with what people have been saying.  I am sorry if in some way I offended you with my comment.

Have a good one. 

Destroyah-x

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-09-2014 11:22 AM

Nah there's nothing offensive about what you said really in case you think Im pissed lol, I was just trying to bring my point across that I disagree that most of the people out there have never heard of nor seen the Mutos up to this point? I believe many out there should have by now?

Having said that, I do agree that despite all these trailers rolling out, I don't think too much has been given away. In fact I find myself much more intrigued and just can't wait :)

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums