Godzilla Movie

Why advertisements can be a bad thing...

773 Views9 Replies
Forum Topic

Sparkzilla14

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-20-2014 5:17 PM

I know with the sudden explosion of trailers, TV spots, and merchandize can be exciting for us, but it is something to worry about. I'm no means a professional movie critic or nor am I a person who is into marketing, but from what I've seen over the years with my movie experiences is that a lot of advertising can be a really bad thing.

Almost 90% of movies that had HUGE advertising and constant TV spots and merchandizing turned out to be bad or "so-so" movies. Take for example the Hulk movie in 2003, you couldn't go anywhere with something that had to do with the Hulk, even green chocolate syrup! Even Godzilla 1998 (Zilla) had one the largest marketing programs for a movie ever, the movie ended up being total crap. The Star Wars prequels were even boomers for advertising and let's be honest they're no where near on par with the original trilogy. 

Not saying that G2014 is gonna to be a bad film, but even the constant different variations of TV spots keeps appearing after ever commercial break for a show is not looking good, at least on my experience. BUT I still have faith that this film will be great, just hope I'm wrong. Thoughts?

9 Replies

ゴジラ 2014 Rules

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-20-2014 5:26 PM

you are right but i never thought of it like that good thinking 

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-20-2014 5:36 PM
SPARKZILLA14 - That's a very well thought-out and well-presented hypothesis you've brought to us. Thank you very much. This is most compelling! However, I wouldn't be too frightened at the moment; Godzilla (2014) is receiving so much hype and advertisement due to the fact that it's the first Godzilla film to be made in quite some time. What's more, it's promising to completely wipe away all memory of the 1998 Zilla. In this girl's opinion, Legendarty and Warner Brothers are simply trying to give their film its own identity. Of course, I'm just speculating - you coulod be entirely spot-on with your prediction! :)

Sparkzilla14

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-20-2014 5:49 PM

What got me thinking about this was Capt. America: Winter Soldier. Capt. america is my number one favorite favorite superhero. If I'm not talking about Godzilla, I'm talking about Capt. America. I went to see the new film; by far in my opinion the best superhero film. Tops all the Dark Knights and even the Avengers film. But when I thought about it, for it to be such a great movie I hardly saw advertising for it other than YouTube. Then I basically had a flashback of all the films I went to see with large advertising and bad they were.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaApr-20-2014 5:54 PM
SPARKZILLA14 - That's in no way an unreasonable outlook. Sometimes less is certainly more. This girl feels that it's somtimes best for a film to have a lot of public exposure in order to generate interest. Winter Soldier was able to ride the waves generated by the success of the Avengers. Godzilla has to stand on its own. Perhaps that's why it's being given so much advertisement! :)

Sparkzilla14

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-20-2014 5:59 PM

Good point, never thought of it that way. BTW before people think I like Capt america cause of the avengers bandwagon, I was reading comic books YEARS before there were any movies. I'm no kid lol

Durp004

MemberBaragonApr-20-2014 6:04 PM

I don't think it's fair to say movies with big advertising are bad. There have been plenty of movies with big marketing campaigns that followed with being big successes. That's all that matters. There are great movies who don't do well in the box office and get a small fan following but never another chance to shine. Even if Godzilla is so-so as long as it's successful it will probably get a sequel and another chance to build the fan base more. Transformers movies have been by no means great but the fact the movies are successful and has grown the fanbase by vast amounts, and that's all that matters building a bigger fanbase.

TarrellZilla

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-20-2014 6:21 PM

Although this is sometimes true I don't see it really applying with Godzilla right now. I've seen maybe 5 tv spots total on actual TV and that's really it (outside of the internet). Aside from posters in the movie theater and some toys, I haven't seen any Godzilla advertisements out and about. There certaintly has been a lot of TV Spots, but a lot of them seem like they're being released early because they aren't in that superb HD like the lastest Nature TV Spot. There's less than a month left and I think advertisement for Godzilla is going good. It might seem like a lot to us but you have to remember majority of people aren't as in the know as we are. Heck, I showed my mom the leaked footage today and she didn't even know there was another monster in the movie lol

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaApr-20-2014 10:43 PM

Sparkzilla's assessment is correct for some movies, but not all. There's a difference between strong ad campaigns, and panicking ad campaigns.

Iron Man? Batman Begins? Godzilla '14? Those are strong ad campaigns trying to launch franchises.

Green Lantern? GINO? Those are panicking ad campaigns. Examples of studios throwing money at ads because they know they have a train wreck on their hands. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is looking awfully close to that as well...

I think the advertising for Godzilla has been fine so far. Strong. Not underwhelming and nothing to suggest the studio is panicking.

As for Captain America: Winter Soldier, I liked the movie. I thought it was good, but nothing spectacular. That said, I don't think it's the best example of less advertising equals better movie. First, Winter Soldier is good, but that good. Second, like Something Real said, the Marvel Studios films are riding on the very successful coatails and universe of The Avengers. Some of the best advertising for Winter Soldier happened in 2012.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

ratedrex

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 6:55 AM

I worked in marketing for 20 years for a major studio.

Here are 5 reasons why there is so much advertising for Godzilla 2014:

(1)  The X-Men movie is coming out the following week.  So the studios need Godzilla to kick but right out of the gate because the competition for dollars will be strong after the first week.

(2)  Since the last American version of Godzilla was so bad, the studios need the general public to know that this Godzilla will be a a much better experience.  That's why they are showing Godzila in the trailers.  They want us to know that this Godzilla is the REAL Godzilla.  Don't be surprised to see Godzilla's atomic breath in the final  trailer right before the movie's opening.

(3) The studios think they have a blockbuster on their hands.  They need us to go out right away in order to generate word of mouth.  Because word of mouth will determine if Godzilla grosses $500 million or $1 billion.

(4) The movie came in under budget.  So they are using the money saved for advertising.

(5) The studios recognize that there is excitement in the air.  They need to keep the buzz going.  Anticipation means box-office dollars.  If the studios had it to do all over again, i bet they would have premiered Godzilla last week, two weeks after Captain America and two weeks before Spiderman.  But they probably surmised that "Transendence" was going to do a lot better than it did.

So don't be concerned about the volume of advertising.  My experience (and my gut feeling) tells me that Godzilla 2014 will be worth the wait.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums