Godzilla Movie

The Marshall War - The Nuclear Testing of the Pacific

2259 Views11 Replies
Forum Topic

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 7:15 AM

So I have put it upon myself to really delve in-depth with Gareth Edward’s new canon for the background of his Godzilla movie, and that is the idea that the nuclear tests in the Pacific weren’t trials but operations to destroy a hellish leviathan the US accidentally uncovered. This is a summary of the Marshall War.

“In 1954, we’ve awakened something.” – Ichiro Serizawa

It all started on the morning of Monday March the 1st, the sky flashed in deep blood red and the yellow mushroom cloud rose over the seas of the Bikini Atoll. This is Operation Castle and Bravo was the first in its intended line of testing. I will assume that it was here when Godzilla was awakened and that this atoll was indeed its ancient resting place. Bravo is much known for being the biggest US nuke ever detonated and the unwanted fallout that touched a Japanese fishing boat, the Daigo Fukuryu Maru, spread a wide radiation scare across Japan, which is what came to inspire Ishiro Honda’s original Godzilla.

Of course, Bravo was not the first nuclear bomb that detonated in the Marshall Islands however, or exactly in the Bikini Atoll for that matter, the first couple of nukes in the Pacific came from Operation Crossroads in 1946. Testing at Bikini didn’t continue until Operation Castle after the US abandoned the islands for radiation reasons and instead focused the next five years with three Operations (Sandstone, Greenhouse and Ivy) at the Enewetak Atolls (Roughly 200 miles West). I’ll assume Crossroads simply stirred Godzilla in his sleep as the nukes there weren’t truly powerful enough to inflict major shock. Able and Baker were only 21 kilotons (Which were the size of the ones dropped in Nagasaki) and they were miniscule in comparison to Bravo, which was at least 600 times stronger, twice than what it was first predicted. The unintended damages from Bravo very much pushed the rest of the schedule weeks ahead, presumably after the US government began realizing that something went very much wrong.

On March 27th, Castle Romeo delivered 11 megatons at the exact site where Bravo detonated. A little more than a week later, Castle Koon delivered 110 kilotons 15 miles south from Bravo and Romeo. The yield was less than what was intended, and it is considered the weakest of the bunch.

On April 26th, Castle Union detonated with 6.9 megatons. The last two were Castle Yankee on May 5th, 13.5 megatons and Castle Nectar on May 13th, 1.7 megatons.

This ended Operation Castle, if Godzilla withstood through all of these detonations, he would have felt nearly 50 megatons total of TNT in a span of a couple of months. It’s easy to assume that the Operation ended after a false pretense that the creature they attempted to kill has died as the site was left to cool down for the next two years. Or they were completely unaware until the next operation.

“Well there’s nuclear tests in the Pacific. Not tests.” – Vivienne Graham

“They were trying to kill it.” – Ichiro Serizawa

Then came Operation Redwing, I sincerely believe that the testing began when they weren’t aware of the fact that Godzilla was still very much alive, until they realized how wrong they were. The operation moved back and forth in the Enewetak and the Bikini Atolls. What’s interesting is that the weakest bombs were concentrated in Enewetak (ranging from less than 10 kt to 2 mt.), while the stronger nukes were focused in Bikini (ranging from 360 kt up to 4.5 mt). As it is pretty silly to consider that Godzilla moved in and out of two specific atolls, the act was probably an effort to obscure the more deliberate ‘offensive’ operation by not simply sticking their guns entirely on a single atoll.

However, just like Castle, Hardwing mysteriously stopped once more. I’m not quite certain if the US believed that they’ve managed to destroy Godzilla yet again or because of many other plausible reasons, such as the exhaustion of a limited arsenal, sufficed to say, the next testing in Bikini resumed in 1958. This was Operation Hardtack I.

Hardtack was more chaotic than Redwing, its trials mostly switched back and forth at Enewetak and Bikini with the last ones centering thousands of miles away at the Johnston Atoll, clueing that Godzilla finally fled the site. Ultimately, Hardtack also discontinued its operation. It is ridiculous to think that the US forces would believe Godzilla perished now, especially knowing that through the subsequent four years, they began to prepare for the last ultimate battle plan: Dominic.

Perhaps it was their last chance under high command to terminate the Leviathan threat, considering that Dominic is the second most powerful testing in the Pacific and by the amount of TNT unleashed they must have decided to give it their all.

At this time Godzilla was probably spotted around the Line Islands which is situated directly south from Hawaii and nearly three thousand miles East from Bikini. From April to July a long brutal engagement spent 24 nukes that continuously bombarded a single patch of sea south of Kiritimati. By October, the last five turned back to the Johnston Atoll. Could it be that Godzilla retreated? However the battle went on and ended there, he was undoubtedly the victor. The Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty was rectified a year later, ceasing all operations in the Pacific and any more attempts to face the King of the Monsters was never uttered in Washington again. The MONARCH agency was formed (during or after the war is unknown) to cover up all details and data which was entrusted with the highest confidentiality.

“The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control, and not the other way around.” – Ichiro Serizawa

The Marshall War must have exhausted the nuclear program and its forces (mostly for morale reasons), leaving the US desperate enough to seek any other viable option, some of these files being called MUTO. But all unanimously agreed to leave the world at the Leviathan’s mercy and abandon any attempts to rile it further. Circumstances considered, those who participated behind the scenes very likely prayed that the monster would see deep in it enough to forgive. Some however, thought that their experience in the war doomed mankind.

“We knew the world would not be the same… Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.”

– Robert J. Oppenheimer. (Two years after the Marshall War.)

11 Replies

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusApr-21-2014 8:46 AM

Holy Godzilla with a side order of fries...... that was in-depth. And now it all makes sense. They weren't simply bombing him because they were scared. They were at war with Godzilla. An entirely nuclear war. If this information is even represented at a fraction of what was covered here..... that would mean Godzilla was the reason  for eventual nuclear prohibition across the world.

GODZILLA HIMSELF

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 9:00 AM

this is some good stuff

king of the monsters

GuateGojira

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 2:43 PM

Congratulations THE WEAVER, this is an excelent analysis and it will surelly give us a better understanding of the situation when the movie arise.

Thanks for the information.

Kage432

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 6:54 PM

It seems really in depth but whats you're source on all this material as it relates to Gareth's Godzilla. I don't think the prequel novel has dropped yet. Is all that from the Muto research site or you're analysis of it? Truly interesting information indeed, though I find it troubling that there were that many continuous assaults on the monster king. One would think that approaching a problem the same way numerous times would fail to yield any new results.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again expecting things to change. That. Is. Crazy." - Vaas Montenegro, Far Cry 3

#NEWBLOOKEDATMYSHIKAI http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/077/0/9/Aizen_Motivational_by_draconichero18.jpg

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-21-2014 8:32 PM

Kage432

It is simply my attempt to connect the Gareth's Godzilla canon to the real world facts and the actual Pacific Proving Grounds testing. Things that aren't officially stated here are just part of my embellishments at speculating what could have happened.

There were a total of eight operations in the Pacific, four of these are very likely to have been connected with Godzilla, but bear in mind that not every single one of these bombs were thrown at him, half of them were still utilized for their regular testing purposes, perhaps to cover up their real intentions (Since a few bomb were detonated in multiple zones at once). Though a good chunk of them could have likely targeted the Big King.

88 nukes were used in these operations, 52 at most could have been specifically targeted at Godzilla himself. By each operation that passed, each nuclear testing intensified, so the whole war was basically a big trial and error that lasted for a decade, until they just gave up entirely.

Kage432

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 12:44 AM

@THE WEAVER - Took them long enough. Throwing nukes at Godzilla is not something that should have gone on for long. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

#NEWBLOOKEDATMYSHIKAI http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/077/0/9/Aizen_Motivational_by_draconichero18.jpg

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 1:29 AM

I have a feeling they were simply very desperate, and were convinced that the bombs did not work somehow (Bear in mind this was considered humanity's ultimate weapon back then, it's inconceivable for people to admit that it could be resisted). Perhaps they used tactics that kept being refined, like attempting to target a specific area of the body, calibrating new types of weapons, or using multiple of them at once, or maybe it was purely a scientific curiousity, to me that could be the reason why they tried over and over.

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 1:33 AM

I have a feeling they were simply very desperate, and were convinced that the bombs did not work somehow (Bear in mind this was considered humanity's ultimate weapon back then, it's inconceivable for people to admit that it could be resisted). Perhaps they used tactics that kept being refined, like attempting to target a specific area of the body, calibrating new types of weapons, or using multiple of them at once, or maybe it was purely a scientific curiousity, to me that could be the reason why they tried over and over.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusApr-22-2014 5:02 AM

Most people who've seen the trailers and all think it was just a few lower-yield nukes thrown at Godzilla, but with what you've covered here, Weaver, over 4 dozen? That's insane! If that turns out to partially be the case, I'm surprised Godzilla is as small as he is from all those delicious nukes!

Kage432

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 8:19 AM

@THE WEAVER - Over 4 dozen? Even for desperate humans, that's a bit excessive. "So yeah, lets nuke it till it's dead. And then we'll nuke it some more for safe measure, you know....with nukes. HURRAH!?" Wat?? I don't doubt what you're saying Weaver, shockingly enough I believe it. I just also find it completely idiotic and thought provoking, in the bad way. Talk about density lol.

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeApr-22-2014 2:21 PM

I would like to point that perhaps not even four dozen nukes specifically touched Godzilla, I simply said at most. How the operations worked to destroy him is unknown to everyone. But yes, I agree that it's a bit of a overreaction, however it might explain his size quite well.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums