Godzilla Movie

Godzilla: Awakening Review and Analysis Thread **SPOILERS INCLUDED**

1339 Views5 Replies
Forum Topic

Danzilla93

MemberBaragonMay-09-2014 5:06 PM

Greetings, G-fans!  May 7th marked the official release of Legendary Comic’s official prequel graphic novel to the new film… Godzilla: Awakening!  I haven’t seen many people comment on the many revelations of the book yet, and I think this may in part be due to the fact that the book is, for some odd reason, not being released via internet sources until May 13th.  But I was lucky enough to receive the book (the only copy my comic book store had!) early May 7th, and have read it start to finish.  Let me tell you… its friggin' EPIC!!!!

This thread will be the place to post your thoughts, reviews, theories, and questions about Godzilla: Awakening.  As more people read it, feel free to post your short or detailed reviews, ask any questions you may have, and speculate to your heart’s content! :)

PLEASE NOTE: SPOILERS WILL BE SHARED HERE!!!!  READ AT YOUR DESCRETION!!!!

With that out of the way, let the fun begin!

Before I begin my own review, let me start out by sharing this: when Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero came out last year prior to the release of the film to theaters, I purchased it but refrained from reading it before I saw the movie, for fear that I might spoil the experience. What I failed to realize was that… IT’S CALLED THE PREQUEL GRAPHIC NOVEL FOR A REASON! When I read the book after the midnight screening of Pacific Rim, I immediately regretted not reading it beforehand. It would have only made the experience of seeing an already incredible move even more incredible. When Awakening was announced, I resolved not to make the same mistake again, and made sure I got a copy before the movie came out. My recommendation… if you can read it before seeing the movie, DO IT! It sets up the entire universe beautifully, and I can already tell that it will help when I finally see the film. And let me also say this… if this movie is even HALF as awesome as this book, we are in for having our minds well and truly blown in a mere 6 days!!!!

Now on to the review!

Let’s start with the plot… and be warned, I’m not holding anything back here, so skip forward if you want to avoid spoilers! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! The story starts off in Japan, in 1980. Ichiro Serizawa, still a young man, has received an urgent call form his father, who wishes to meet with him in person to discuss something incredible. The elder Serizawa reveals that his work with the “Monarch Shipping Company” was a front for his true line of work: pursuing creatures beyond imagination. He tells his son of how he survived the horrific bombing of Hiroshima, and how, as he pulled the infant Ichiro out of the rubble, he saw a strange, diaphones creature form in the sky above him and fly away. The elder Serizawa is a sailor, and one year after Hiroshima, in 1946, his crew is called to rescue the crew of an American ship, which has met with a mysterious accident. The investigation reveals that the ship has been carried inland, ripped apart, and still holds survivors. The Japanese rescue crew is viscously attacked by an insect like creature that then goes after the ship again, knocking it down the hillside and into the ocean. Serizawa is rescued by a survivor name Shaw, who commends him for how he handled himself in the crisis. Serizawa is asked to join a newly formed American/Japanese team created to hunt down and, if possible, destroy the strange creatures, dubbed Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms, or MUTO’s, that have begun appearing. The special Monarch unit is born.

Over the subsequent six years, the Monarch unit tracks the mysterious MUTO’s across the world, where the locals always describe the same scenario: the creature approaches a power source, usually nuclear in nature, only to be chased away by another, far larger creature. While the Monarch team is reticent to believe the existence of this second creature, Serizawa begins to form an obsession with learning about the mysterious monster, whom he dubs “Gojira”, an amalgamation of the words “kujira” (whale) and “gorira” (gorilla), and a popular name for a mystical monster that lives beneath the depths of the sea. While Serizawa gathers information on the mysterious “Gojira”, Monarch scientists discover the true nature of the malevolent monsters: they are, in fact, comprised entirely of millions of smaller, single celled organisms that combine to form an aggregate monster, a “swarm of death”, or, in Japanese, Shinomura. All a single Shinomura cell needs to regrow the entire colony is radiation, meaning he creatures must consume radiation to survive.

When the question of how the creatures have not taken over the world yet arises, Serizawa can hold his tongue no longer, and presents his theories on Gojira. His research has shown that the monster had been spotted and even depicted artistically for thousands of years, and he believes the creature is far older than that. His scenario looks a little like this: 270 million years ago, during the Permian Era, the surface of the Earth was far more radioactive than the modern day, allowing for the development of gigantic creatures that fed on radiation. They fed off of each other, engaging in an eternal struggle that maintained a balance on Earth. But then the Permian Extinction, the greatest extinction event in the Earth’s history, took place, reducing radiation levels on the surface of the planet. Gojira and the Shinomura retreated below the ground, closer to the planet’s radioactive core. But, in 1945, the Hiroshima nuclear attack stirred them from their slumber. The Shinomura witnessed by Serizawa after the bombing grew and multiplied after absorbing radiation, and its presence awakened the “Alpha Predator”, Gojira. But soon, the Shinomura will grow to a massive size, so large that Gojira will not be able to stop them. Despite Serizawa’s warnings, Monarch and the government refuse to believe in the monster’s existence.

Determined to prove that Gojira is real, Serizawa sets out on a research vessel to find the beast. He gets his chance when two Shinomura arrive on Moansta Island (see what they did there?) and merge into one giant creature. Sure enough, Gojira rises to confront them. During the conflict, Serizawa and the Navy witness Gojira for the first time. The morning after the battle, the body of the Shinomura is found, but Serizawa claims that he saw the creature fly away. No one believes that part of the creature survived, and soon a personal visit from General MacArthur himself reveals the final game plan… nuke the monsters.

The U.S. government and Monarch set their plan into motion: the Shinomura and Gojira are headed for the Bikini Atoll, and a nuclear device will be detonated there under the code name “Castle Bravo”. The atoll is evacuated, and as Gojira and the final Shinomura engage in battle, the world’s largest nuclear explosion takes place. The Shinomura is eradicated, but Gojira’s fate is undetermined.

Back in 1980, the elder Serizawa finishes his tale, and tells his son that the world must be prepared for when Gojira returns. He passes on all of his research material to Ichiro, who now knows of his father’s legacy. One year later, Ichiro attends his father’s funeral, after which an older Shaw appears with other government agents. They and Ichiro leave together, with the latter picking up where his father left off. Little does he know of what’s to come…

Well, now that THAT’S out of the way, here are a few thoughts form me! Firstly, this book was not only a great prequel to the film and the new Legendary universe, but it was a phenomenal Godzilla story in general! Seriously, this felt like classic Godzilla at its best, from great characters to awesome monster battles to a strong anti-nuclear message and the old school setting. The flashback nature of the story is handled amazingly well, and there is some tension between the Serizawa’s that reflects what we will apparently see with the Brody’s in the film. The flow of the story is brilliant, and even at a lengthy 80 pages, it moves fast and REALLY leaves you wanting more time in the world of the story… which is the entire point of the book! Well done, for sure!

The art of the book, a collaboration between several artists including Eric Battle, Alan Quah, and a few others, is simply outstanding. The switching between different artists could have been catastrophic for the book, but the work flows wonderfully and seamlessly from cover to cover. It’s hard to tell when the switch from one artist to another has taken place, and the story is so strong that any discrepancies in the art are quickly forgotten. There are a few scenes where background characters appear with no faces and finer details, but it’s nothing too jarring.

Max and Greg Borenstein’s script and story is simply brilliant, and, as I mentioned before, really feels like classic Godzilla. THAT should be reassuring to everyone! The story sets up the universe in a big way, and the plot finally gives us some answers to some big questions fans have been asking for months and even years. The mysteries of Monarch, the origins of Godzilla, the atomic testing cover up, and Serizawa’s fascination with Gojira are all addressed. When the Shinomura emerge, they appear to come from the same sickle-shaped egg/cocoon seen in the trailers and TV spots for the film! The Shinomura are great kaiju, with a great design and a story that should sound familiar to Godzilla fans. The creatures appear to be clear homages to kaiju like Hedorah and Destoroyah, both of which are aggregate creatures made of smaller monsters that grow and transform as the story progresses. Their ability to form other monsters from single cells is eerily reminiscent of the Gargantuas Sanda and Gaira from 1966’s War of the Gargantuas. In fact, there are a number of homages in the story that will make G-fans smile, such as the monster being referred to as “Gojira” for the duration of the comic, the origin of the King of the Monster’s name, and the setting of the comic’s first big Godzilla battle, Moansta Island. Seriously, how awesome is that? :) Also, it’s worth noting that Godzilla uses Atomic Ray quite a lot in the story. He fires it at least three times, and it’s almost identical to the images from the Godzilla Smash game.

Bottom line, this comic was awesome. If reading it doesn’t get your hype levels EVEN MORE through the roof, than you are beyond redemption. The book combines a strong, engaging story with incredible art and the power of a good, classic Godzilla story. I reiterate: if you can read this before you see the movie, I urge you to do so. You will NOT be disappointed!

Story: 9/10

Script: 8/10

Art: 8/10

Awesomeness: 500/10

Well, I’ve certainly said enough! What do you half to say? Post and comment away! :D

"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling

The Godzilla Novelization Project: Follow Along Today!

5 Replies

DannyBlazor

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-09-2014 6:25 PM

First

Darth HLT

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-09-2014 6:43 PM

First of all before I come to... "rate" the Comic itself, three or four things.

I am living in Europe, exactly Austria (the Countrey next to Germany, not to be confused with Australia, Asia). Anyway I was lucky because a Book/Comic Company from Germany called "Cross Cult" have the rights to bring out the Comic in German Language. So thanks to Cross Cult Company! Many Thanks for translating the Comic and for publishing it here in the German spoken Countries (including Germany, Austria and Swiss)

Secondly I was lucky to get a Copy and I have read it. In 1 Hour. I didn't made a break I sat down while I was "driving" home, (via, Tram and Subway and then Bus) and read it. But it's... so full of Information that I have to read it again to understand it fully. Yes it was translated in the Language I understood, in my Mother Language German,... but with "understanding" I mean the technical Words and terms!

I also belive that this Place here, this Thread is a Spoiler Zone. If not caution! What I will write now, contains Spoiler. If you want to be spoiler free leave this Space and don't read further. And sorry if I spell or write or use some Words wrong. my Mother Language is German.

I really do not know where to start so I... I... really don't know so I beginn... with the Biggest Suprise.

So the biggest Suprise to me was the MUTO(s). In this Comic I finally learned what the Term MUTO actually means. And I learned this... because I allways thought that there are more Monsters appearing in this Movie. Of course there is Godzilla, but I do not mean Godzilla, you know, I don't count him. I mean come on he is the main star (beisde the Humen Characters) so he is of course... there! But I have seen the Toys comming out for this Movie. The Action Figures and they showed a Monster like a Spider or a Mantis kinda like Creature. As was also shown in the Trailer. But the newest Trailer also revealed a Monster like Roda. A Flying Monster. So I thought okay, there is Godzilla (# 1), "Mantis Creature" (# 2) "Rodan Flying Monster" (# 3). But it seems that there are not 3 or 4 Monsters, it's only two. Its only Godzilla and a MUTO if I understand the Comic correctly.

Cause the Muto is... err... "made off" many small Monsters. But the Comic says that they all act and move like one big Monster. So they can actually somehow "chance" or "transform" into any Kind of Monster they like. Oh by the way, if anyone how has read the Comic has understood it differently please correct me. The Comic says the MUTO are like Ants but act and move together like one Thing. I don't know why, I really do not know maybe because here in Germany recently I saw the Movie "The Smurfs 1" The First Movie in Free TV. It's like the Scene where the Bad Guy Gargamel, is escaping from the Prison. His intention was that eagels pack him and bring him out, but instead of a eagel many, many flies come to "rescue" him and get him out. Or it kinda reminds me on the new/old Batman Logo from the Christopher Nolan Triology. The Logo in the Beginning of Batman Begins is "made of" many Bats. The many Bats shape /mold into the gigantic Batman Logo. So that is what the MUTO is.

Many little Monsters mold into one Big. Anyone agree or did I undstand it wrong?

And now to where Gojra comes from, and I appreciate that they call him Gojira all the Time. And Serizawa (not Ishiro, played by Ken Watanabe, but rather his "[Movie]Father") I belive first Time say what Gojira means. We all know it, but (I do not know if its the First Time, but I belive so)... anyway, so its I belive the First Time mention in Comic that Gojira the Word Gojira is a combination of Words.

And I like the portayal of the Character of Serizawa. The Army knows that there are Muto(s) but they cannot belive that there is another Monster out there. Serizawa tries to proves it and in the Comic he met a Guy in Guam, a native how tells him the Legend of Gojira. By the Way Gojira is much older and as such there are reports on him. He was seen in the 12 Centruy and in Germany in the Year 1502. (I do not know, if the translator for the Comic, maybe chanced the Countrey)... Before we or better I get on PLEASE ONE QUESTION: When Serizawa show the 3 Picutres and explain that he belives that the Monster called Gojira really exist he made 3 Examples and says that Gojira was seen in the 12 Century, and Germany and France. But this is from the German Translated Comic. What does the Orignal English Comic say? Is it still Germany or has the Translation Guy chanced the Countrey?  THANKS!!!

Now to return to the Main Topic: I like that Gojira is much older and a ancient Monster. He was not a Dinosaur made bigger by nuclear Test but actually a Survivor of the Dinosaur Age. It seems that there are two Big... force of Nature.. the Shinomura and the Gojira bouth living in the Dinosaur Age. Old Enemies. Gojira the Alpha Hunter hunting the Shinomura. But the Asteroid destroy the Dinosaurs, but Gojira and as it semms one Shimosura survived and then being awaken by the Hiroshima Bomb. And Gojira is after him once again. Hmm... I have to... lets say deal with it.

So Gojira is the Good and Simosura the Bad?! I WOULD SAY NO, I mean no one is Good or Bad, they two are Monster... they are all force of the nature, I would say Godzilla is hunting the Shimosura aka MUTO and brining balance. (oh not balance to the Foce [Star Wars, The Choosen One]) but just "a balance" (quote from Comic) But I think I like the... Solution. The Explanation where the MUTOS comes from and his... relation to Gojira.

What I also like is that near the End Serizawa left all behind to chase the Gojira or to at leat prove that he was not a Myth but rather a existing living Monster. So he left his Son, much like Dr. Henry Jones Senior spend much of his Life for searching after the Holy Grail and not... "educate" his Son Henry "Indiana" Jones Junior makim him what he is. Indiana Jones act and made this and that because of what his Father did to him. He sometimes has trust difficulty becasue of a hard childhood. And now in the Comic, in the Story, Serizawa left his Child in search for the Gojira. He wants to prove to everybody that he is right and not... "crazy". So I wonder how will it affect the Movie Serizawa, his Son Ishiro played by Ken Watanabe. Ishiros Father will obiously not apperar, because he died in the very last Pages (Chapter) of the Story. But before he died he accomplished what he allways dreamd of: He proved the existence of the Gojira Creature. Since the Day he met the Native on Guam and the was told the Legend, the Myth of Gojira he got, somehow nearly obsessed with the Myth and want to prove that its not only a Myth. So he did his Goal.

And in the very last Pages we see the Son of Serizawa, Ishiro mourn / grieve at the Funeral of his Father but then he gets interruped by... the old Colleagues of his Father and it seem the joins the Task Force called: The Monarch.

And I like the last Words Ishiro Serizawa says in this comic: (translated back from German): "I fear, that we all are not ready, for what will come (what will await us)"

And we see Godzilla roar... He will come.... only ONE WEEK LEFT... to be continued in the Movie Thearters...

In all I would say: a Good Comic. "Fantastic! Absolutey Fantastic" to quote the Ninth Doctor. And "Impressive! Most Impressive" to quote Darth Vader from Episode V.

I think I have said enought. What do you guys think about it? And sorry for the long, long Message. THANKS!

Darth HLT!

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-09-2014 7:14 PM
DANZILLA93 - Oooh! This likely going to be very compelling! :)

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-09-2014 7:16 PM
DARTH HLT - Welcome to the site! Wow! You had a lot to share with us! Thank you very much for doing so; we love information here - especially if it gives us hints of what to expect form Edwards' upcoming film! :)

Darth HLT

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-09-2014 9:05 PM

No, indeed THANK YOU for the nice welcoming Words. Since I have read the Comic I thought why not share. And it was not work at all, it was actually fun. I love Godzilla. So no work at all, I am so... hyped. And the Comic is really good. As Danzilla93 says it provide us with the Background Information we needed. (Not that the Movie will NOT provide us with the important Informations. I am sure they will)

I am (almost) sure that the Movie itself will clear Things up and.. retell in few words what happend in this Comic... I mean they (=the Movie) will for sure tell us where the Muto(s) come from, and what happend in the Past, but its nice to see it in a Comic. I am sure we do not need the Comic to understand this Movie. I mean the other way round would be... ridiculous... the other way round would be wrong. If you need to read a Comic, or if you need to read THIS COMIC to understand the Movie, then every normal Movie Visitor will left the Theater confused and not understand the Story. Oh no.

I am sure that the Story will be understandable but, I belive the Characters will talk and explane what happend, where the Monsters come from, what happend until today and everything. But it's really nice to see the Events that leads to the Movie, to see the Events the Charaters will talk about for sure in the Movie captured in this brilliant Comic.

It's just wonderfull, and I want to share my Experience with all the Fans out there and also give my opinion about the Comic, and as I said I like and love it.

So thanks again Something real for the kind words, also danzill93 for sharing your opinion for this Comic! Hope more will do that. And hopfully someone out there can answere my Question... from my last Post. ITS NOT THAT IMPORTANT. It's just a Triva Fact I want to know. It's just that I am curious. Again, Thanks. And Live long and Prosper! Oh and May the Force be with you!

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
7amey
7amey » Baragon
21% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com provides you with the latest news, rumors, spoilers and fan discussions on all things Godzilla! Covering news on Legendary Pictures and Warner Brothers' Monsterverse cinematic universe, the Apple TV spin-offs, the movies, toys games and media. This website also provide news, updates and information on other Godzilla productions from Toho Studios and their partners! This webiste is not affiliated with owners of Godzilla trademarks. It is operated and owned by fans of the Godzilla franchise. This website does not own any rights to the Godzilla character or its related properties. This website provides content for the purpose of review and discussion.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums