Godzilla Movie

Just came back from watching the movie. Some thoughts I want to share

Locked1664 Views18 Replies
Forum Topic

joaomlo2

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 5:08 PM

I just arrived home from watching the movie, and OMG the movie is so damn awesome, but as reviews say, the human element is just average, but I will leave the rest to my review.

**SPOILERS START HERE**

EDIT: I just remembered a few more plot holes:

-(Minor) Plot Hole '0.5'- So, when Joe and Sandra enter the jeep to go to the nuclear plant, Sandra tells him that Ford made a birthday sign but Joe missed it, is surprised, and then, Sandra says happy birthday and Joe acts all surprised like if he just knew at the moment she told him that.

-Point 1:
So, Aaron Taylor Johnson is not bad, but the way they forced his character to the front by killing Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) was tough to swallow. I knew Joe would die since the "Whatever it Takes" spot, but I did not expect it to be so early into the film.

Anyone else agree with me that Joe's death was premature, or you feel that it was ok, as he would not have a significant role on the rest of the film?

-Point 2 (PLOT HOLE):

If the MUTO's are walking EMP's, then how the lights went back on on the airport when he was on it?

-Point 3:
The airport "battle scene" felt like a sucker punch. Right when s*** was about to go down, we change scene and we only get to see glimpses when Ford's son watches it on TV, but since the MUTO got away in less than a moment before it began, It is kind of forgivable...

...or did you want a full battle from any civilian's POV?

-Point 4 (Plot Hole): On the part where they rushed to the nuclear waste storage to check on the cocoon, how the hell could they not see the MASSIVE hole on the mountain, bringing helicopter and stuff?

-Point 4:
The Atomic Breath. Oh my f****** god(zilla). When I saw the spines starting to glow on the tip of his tail, then lighting his spines like a christmas tree, I was like "OMG, he is gonna do it. He is gonna do it now!!!" When he fired the first time and then, fired again, I didn't get to see the rest as I had to go to the bathroom change my underwear(just kidding, I held long enough until I got home). It was what I expected it to be, but I thought it would be powerful enough to make a hole on the MUTO's.

Do you think the Atomic Breath was fine or did it felt a bit weak(on the first two times)?

Point 5:
Best part: Ford holds the female MUTO at gunpoint with a pistol (lol), and suddenly, Godzilla grabs her and forces her mouth open to fire the Atomic Breath into her throat, melting her neck and decapitating her, and lets out a victory roar, throwing the head to the water. (FATALITY!)

Come on, I don't think many people disagree with me, but if so, what was your favourite moment?

Point 6 (Plot Hole):
When Godzilla first emerged in Honolulu, it caused a big damn tsunami, but when he emerges and goes back into the water in San Francisco, nothing happens.

**END OF SPOILERS**

Easter egg:(On the scene where Ford and Joe return to their original home in Janjira, if you pay attention to what seems to be and aquarium, there is a label with MOTHRA written on it.

So, that is it. Please do not take this as a review, but rather some thing I wanted to discuss with you.

18 Replies

Smaug The Magnificent

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 5:16 PM

Agree with everything you just said.

Also: your noth the only one too notice that little easter egg :]

I Believe In Harvey Dent

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-15-2014 5:54 PM
JOAOMLO2 - Blast it! I can't comment on you post because I haven't yet seen the film. I had to avoid reading the spoilers you've presented despite the fact that I wanted to VERY badly! Regardless, I'm exceptionally pleased that you've enjoyed the film! Out of curiosity, what rating would you personally give it - say from 1 to 10? :)

matt1898

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 7:32 PM

Spoiler. Best moment for me was the atomic breath. The buildup up to it was awesome.. Muto "I'm going to kill you little man, oh wait, what is that ominous blue glow behind me." My hair stood on end and I giggled like a 5 year old. Seeing the first of his tail spines start to glow.......chills.

wolfguy

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 7:43 PM

The film was a mess editing and story wise. Not even as good as some of the Showa and Heisei films. Personally, I think Gamera Guardian of the Universe pulled off pretty much the exact same storyline better. 

Ruins72

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 8:08 PM

WOLFGUY

Was it a mess or did you just not like it? Everything I've heard, even from those who didn't like the film say the editing is great, it's the characters that bring it down. That and Godzilla only shows up here and there until the end.

JohnSmith

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 8:08 PM

My favourite scene was when Godzilla tail smashed the winged muto into the building, that was just brutal. The atomic breath was awesome too.

But yea, The movie was not that great. It's hardly in my top ten list of Godzilla movies.  Dare I say,  98 had a more entertaining quality to it...And yes, I will compare them because G 2014 does not feel like a godzilla movie, just like the 98 movie. Maybe my expectations were too high...

iamtrex

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 9:35 PM

Enjoyed it alot! I have a couple questions also.

Does using his atomic breath drain Godzilla to the point of collapsing? Or did he collapse twice there just from exhaustion.

Wanted to see more with the gills(?) I was kinda hoping the were vents for the atomic breath.

So that was a muto that crashes the bridge! I knew it. The mutos were pretty good after all, nice villians.

And finally, how cool would it have been if Godzilla would have pulled a Godzilla 2000 move and just open up on the city before leaving?

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-15-2014 9:36 PM
WOLFGUY - Was there anything you enjoyed about the film? After that, what would you say was your least favorite aspect of the movie? :)

talisman

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 10:44 PM

I did not like this movie. I was into it until around half way or just after the airport.

This was a movie about the MUTOs and Godzilla was added in. I felt the atomic "flame" was weak and not worthy. I liked the way he lit up for it. The way he used it was less then appealing and it wasn't used enough.

I got the sense that people were not afraid enough of Godzilla. His eyes were small. The two Mutos were about to finish him but then they destroyed the eggs. Hated that.

To be honest, I think Edwards did a terrible job and I seriously doubt that this movie will have any sequels.

People are going to watch it at first, but then its just going to tank. I am sorry, I wanted to see more Godzilla's but this is it folks. 

There is still Toho, they will make some more probably. I can't see a place like China who like movies more Pacific Rim style really wanting to see this movie.

I don't think this will be well recieved in Japan despite Toho's claim "it was fantastic"

Its not only that Godzilla didn't have enough time, but the movie didn't really feel like it was about him.

If you want to update Godzilla and make a modern blockbuster movie about him, then he must be a force of nature that can lay waste to any city with his breath. That is Godzilla.

Godzillatheking123

MemberBaragonMay-15-2014 11:21 PM

Talisman-You have to separate your personal dislike of the movie from the possibility of it having sequels. Whether you like it or not has little if no bearing on whether there will be sequels. The key is box office momentum. If enough people see it then there will likely be a sequel. This is how Hollywood works.

And why can you be so sure Japan will hate it too just because you did? 

Chaddavis2292

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-15-2014 11:25 PM

To be honest I agree with everything @joaomlo2 and to me I did Not like when after he killed the muto he past out when the old godzilla never did even after fighting more than two monster and this godzilla to me was nice he didn't even destroy things not attentionly like the old godzilla would but beside everything @ joaomlo2 said and I said it a good movie and would still like to see a sequal just few of changes and also what is toha goin to do.

Chris

AdminSpaceGodzillaMay-16-2014 12:47 AM

There were MANY easter eggs, I couldn't stop counting! Hahah I'm clicking enter a bunch of times, so people reading the post feed don't read my spoilers...

But yeah, the aquarium said Mothra on it, but also in the classroom when Ford was a boy, on the wall, there's a diagram of mothra, literally Mothra, colors matched and everything. There were at least 2, probably 3 Mothra easter eggs. I thought I recongized a few others, but I'm seeing the film at least 2 more times to scope them out before I post them as fact. But the diagram in the classroom is definitely a homage to Mothra.

Hyped for: Alien: Romulus | Badlands (Predator 6) | Cloverfield 4

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaMay-16-2014 1:00 AM

@Talisman

I'm sorry you didn't like the movie, but I feel like a lot of your points are personal observations of what Godzilla "should be". The anti-hero Godzilla in this movie has been depicted in Toho films before. His atomic ray isn't always going to do something ridiculous like breach the stratosphere. Godzilla's been injured plenty in the past and characters have also rooted for him, whether he's a main threat or a foe.

"That is Godzilla" is a very self-entitled sentence that even contradicts the very people who created Godzilla. Or has everyone already forgotten that the same men who produced, directed, scored, acted and the special effects for the original Godzilla '54 also did Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, Terror of MechaGodzilla and...drumroll, Godzilla's Revenge?

If there is a definitive Godzilla it is only the original. But the following 59 years are what kept the franchise alive. Fans have their preference of which they like most. I know plenty who prefer the Godzilla of he 1970s. Edward's Godzilla? Fits very well in the pantheon of incarnations. I for one hope to see more.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

joaomlo2

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2014 2:21 AM

@SOMETHING REAL: I am about to write my review of the film, but I would give it 8/10 for having amazing action with enough human drama and story to elevate it above your average monster movie flick *cough*Pacific Rim*cough*, but having some questionable plot twists and holes.

In resume: In Gareth we Trusted, and Gareth delivered.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-16-2014 2:24 AM
JOAOMLO2 - How fantastic! Thank you ever so much for giving humoring my curiosity. That's a sterling review! :)

The Weaver

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2014 2:35 AM

This movie is not for the general movie goers, it actually tries something more than being pure entertainment, and I adore that, because I get the subtleties that the movie is trying to say. (Subtleties are why movies are awesome)

While I'd love to see more of Bryan Cranston, his death gives the story weight, and that is to say that he gives powerful drama. He's such a tragic character, you could feel like half of his soul was ripped apart, and when he goes, it's more to say "I'll be at peace now."

The Female is the walking EMP. The one that is in Honolulu airport was male.

The atomic breath does not need to be all powerful, there's need to be a level of constraint to not overdo things.

You don't know how tsunami's work, the Honolulu wave was caused by water displacement by Godzilla, under the Golden Gate Bridge, that wouldn't happen because tsunami's only occur AT SHORE.

talisman

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2014 4:22 AM

Guys the most interesting thing in this movie was the Muto's but the were not formidable compared with Ghidorah or some of the other creatures that Godzilla has fought.

What really bothered me was that Godzilla wasn't even really an Anti-hero.

Some people said he wasn't cheered at the end, but I really thought he was, people smiled in one of the most silliest scenes I have ever witnessed.

My personal feelings have made me conclude that the sequels for this movie will be hard to come by but I really hope and wish their are. I personally want a sequel.

I just don't want Edwards on the movie. I am sorry, a lot fo people seem more loyal to the guy than the whole idea of Godzilla, but this for me was just a bad experience.

After all the years we waited for him to tease Godzilla like that was uncalled for.

To not make the movie not centered around Godzilla was just not a good idea.

There was no fear of Godzilla in the movie, they wanted him to clean up the Mutos and they knew he wouldn't go on and destroy things. How did they know that? He was already assumed to be a creature that would be done with his destroying.

Xenomorphzilla

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-26-2014 9:24 PM

I think Godzilla appeared just enough, the buildup was perfect for both the ending and a sequel, in the sequel Godzilla I assume would have more screen time, as he should, but I thought the movie was very well made. 

Add A Reply
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums