Godzilla Movie

Changes for the sequel

1199 Views12 Replies
Forum Topic

Akio123

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 3:54 PM

Hello everyone! Akio here! This may be long so, bare with me.

In regards to the new movie, I really enjoyed it! Although I loved the movie, the wrtting fell very flat. I wanted a little more from the story and the characters. I know I know, its a Godzilla movie, I  shouldn't expect anything but monster action..but let me explain. If you have a chance at making a great movie in all aspects, why wouldn't you? We already have Pacific Rim and Cloverfield. Now is the time to have a giant monster movie with a dose of substance. It seems as if the only movie to do that was "Gojira", and that came out 60 years ago! Legendary has already attempted in creating a grounded reality for their version of Godzilla. The first movie in my opinion, is a good beginning installment, but there are many flaws that should be confronted for the sequel(Characters and story). 

I am glad they are keeping the same director because I cannot think of another who has the sense of scale that Gareth does. He did an excellent job and his style is nice in my opinion. However, I feel that they should get a new writer. Seriously, A NEW WRITER. Along with a new cast becuase those in the first did not impress me. however, that was becuase of the WRITTING. The only actor from the first movie that I picture being in the sequel is Ken Watanabe. This new franchise is attempting to be grounded..But the story and character in the first movie just didnt hold up with the monster action.

The sequel(In my opinion) should have a huge focus on dread and devastation. Sure the first movie had destruction, but only on a visual standpoint. If you were in a city that was hit by a Stunami, it would be absolutly horrifying. Buildings falling and debris foaming the air would be dreadful. I think that if a movie can have interesting characters that are relatable to the general public experiencing heavy disaster, it'd be powerful. Have you ever watched, 'The Impossible"? If the focus for this franchise is the characters, make them relatable and realistic. We already had the military guy and that was not at all interesting or moving by any standard in my opinion. Imagine watching characters who you care about and are routing for. Imagine watching them go through realitstic but extreme devastation. I want to see the horrid experiences and aftermath. A movie like that would be highly emotional, gut punching, and memorable(What a Godzilla movie needs)..Even when the monsters aren't on screen. Yet when they are, it'd be spectacular. The SDCC mood piece was a perfect example of the dreaful after math that would follow giant animals. Imagine that, along with the devastation while it is happening and our characters in the middle of it. It is a shame that even though the mood piece was jaw-dropping, its tone was not present in the movie.  

I know, it is silly for me to take it seriosuly like that. It is just a movie..But hell, I want to watch an excellent movie. Not just an average one with grand special effects. 

12 Replies

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 4:10 PM

Not everything was posted?

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganAug-27-2014 4:10 PM

Where's the rest of the topic?

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Akio123

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 4:17 PM

It is there now! Sorry

leaper

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 4:32 PM

maybe in the next movie , godzilla could be the bad guy

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 4:42 PM

LEPER he whon't especially considering ghidorah will apear, but i agree with AKIO and also they should focus more on serizawa

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

Durp004

MemberBaragonAug-27-2014 5:03 PM

I could get onboard with this

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganAug-27-2014 7:26 PM

I agree with this.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Godzilla_Is_Back_14

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 9:49 PM

I everything you said is what the sequel needs. As you said, we didn't feel any dread or sorrow for the human characters. It was probably becaues we never really seeing any major characters actually just trying to survive the kaiju disaster. They were either away from the monsters trying solve the problem on how to stop them or there confrontation was because of a military mission. The next film should focus on characters who become stuck in a environment where there are giant monsters attacking cities and each other. This way we can get the sense of peril as the characters are trying to desperately escape the chaos.

Ken Wattanabe and David Straithern are the only actors I want to return. Wattanabe's character played such an important part in the first film that it would seem wrong not to use him again in this new franchise's mythology. And Straithern played his role so perfectly as a military commander and brought a sense of realism to the film.

The way I see it this 2014 film is closer to Batman Begins then Dark Knight. It's good but not perfect. It does a great job of building Godzilla's mythology in modern day but doesn't go that much further with the emotion nor the characters. As you said, a new writer is a must if this is going to be a better sequel. Preferably a writer who has worked on some successful dramas.

Akio123

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-27-2014 11:40 PM

@GODZILLA_IS_BACK, I agree with you 100% !! A writer who has experience with successful dramas could pull it off in a unique effective way.  And the whole Batman Begins analogy was perfect. 

leaper

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-28-2014 4:16 PM

@CATZILLA ghidrah being in GMK didn't stop godzilla from being the bad guy , why would THIS be any different

GG

ModeratorGiganAug-28-2014 7:01 PM

Leaper, Godzilla is not a bad guy in this new series.

He avoided the millitary either cause he didnt care about them or was running low on time.

And at the end he went into the ocean instead of destroying stuff.

Good grief.

Akio123

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-29-2014 6:36 AM

Legendary's representation of Godzilla CANNOT be a "Bad" or "Good" character. He is simply an animal. Animals are not considered villans or heroes because they are instinctive. In the movie, humanity viewed him that way because his instictive motive worked in our favor. He probably didn't even know little creatures clapped and cheared for him. Godzilla is simply a massive atomic crature. His size, power, and durability give him the, "Force of Nature" title. He didn't attack the military because they are only a annoyance, not life threatening. An animal of that size would not hold us relevant to their thoughts, especially if it is on a mission out of instict(Hunting another animal). I understand Toho Godzilla had human morality, but I believe Legendary's does not becuase they want their franchise to be grounded. I am sure the other Toho monsters will be treated this way as well. 

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums