Godzilla Movie

Godzilla '14 as a late-Showa Movie in Disguise

3591 Views41 Replies
Forum Topic

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-22-2014 12:37 PM

I recently wrote an article on the topic of the new movie emulating later Showa movies closer than any other decade. I wanted to let the article simmer a bit before bringing the discussion to the forums as I typically don't like self-advertising on the forums themselves.

But since it's almost been a week since I posted it and it's one of the few that didn't make it on the Godzilla facebook, I felt it would be a more welcomed additon to the forums since at this point we're just talking about the same stuff over and over and over and over.

(I mean, we can talk about boxoffice, MUTO anatomy, Godzilla's design, his breath weapon, what was right/wrong with the charcters and script until we're blue in the face, but unless we find other things about this movie to look into the next four years are going to get very boring.)

Lets bring something a little different to the table. I feel strongly on the subject and think other fans should bask in the same topic.

So, Godzilla '14, Stealth-Showa? Or something else? Discuss away.

Link to article: GODZILLA AS A STEALTH-SHOWA FILM

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."
41 Replies

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:13 PM

Stealth showa. I mean you nailed the nail on the head with your article. There were so many similarities between those films, and not to mention it kinda reminds me of gamera the guardian of the universe as well.

Typical knowledge by a Gman, who knows godzilla probably better than all of us.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:21 PM

Godzilla's design, breathtaking. I am sorry to all the purists out there like me, but i don't think the suitmation could have done any better as far as realistic animal movements go.

The Muto's were quite amazing as well, you could feel a connection to them when they were trying to protect the offspring, and felt a sense of sympathy for the female when she seen her young ones die.

The boxoffice, good for starting film. Last i checked the film was in the number 9 spot which of course is considerably good for us g-fans.

Ranking in a total of 520 million worldwide, 200 domestic. Not bad. Legendary is on the right path, and all we can do now is wait for better results in the sequel.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:25 PM

The CGI was wonderful. Jim rygiel did an amazing job, i feel like his work is far better than that of michael bay.

Speaking of micheal bay, after seeing him ruin the TMNT'S I don't ever want him to work on a godzilla film at all.

MagggleShackle

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 1:28 PM

Wait Ben were you really thinking of a Michael bay godzilla film cause that's a scary thought there.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:31 PM

Godzilla's atomic breath wasn't too bad, it had that effect like the original 1954 godzilla did.

The Emp's by the mutos on the other hand.......Is very realistic escpecially if you see what is going on in today's world. If the terrorists hit our power grid here in america.....we are pretty much in trouble.

One of the things as far as realism goes, is how the military and government continue to cover the truth up and to keep things secret from the people. Why this still continues, i will never know.

So much realism, and realistic things that have happened over the course of time here on planet earth are a huge impact on the movie. Tsunami's, earthquakes, etc.

Nature is not in our control, only the lord god.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:32 PM

Maggle,

Hahahaha, no i mean if he ever got the rights to godzilla......It could be worse than that of tristar's. O_O

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:38 PM

G14, had it's flaws like many other godzilla films do, but at the end of the day, i think in all honesty Legendary created what all of us can agree on, the actual 29th godzilla film.

For some reason though since i have gotten the dvd of G14, i can not stop watching it when i know there are other godzilla films that are far better.

MagggleShackle

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 1:51 PM

Alright just making sure,and gman I see the point your making here, they proabaly didn't mean to do that my best guess is that it just sort of happen.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 1:53 PM

^Still though, Legendary is off to a pretty good start. I feel like you could watch these films right next to each other and see those similarites that he pointed out.

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 2:02 PM

Imagine A michle Bay Godzilla film..

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

JRR

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 2:03 PM

But i agree it looks a lot like a 70's showa film

Evacuate?, Godzilla is just a Legend!-Woman in GMK

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:04 PM

Now, speaking of realism. How are they going to protray king ghidorah? I think i have the best possible answer for this. Hear me out, what is the most dangerous natural disaster that has happened over 165 million years? Meteorites crashing into the earth. We all know that in ghidorah the three headed monster 1964 that king ghidorah arrived to earth from space in a meteorite form. That being said, metorites are still crashing into the earth even to this day. My guess is this is how Legendary will follow earth crisis disasters like this and will use it for king ghidorah.

Now for an even better triology, why not stop with one king ghidorah, and have hunderds of them? That would be like Gyaos from the heisei gamera trilogy. But i don't see this happening, it would be kinda cool though.

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganSep-22-2014 2:07 PM

^I agree.

The movie was pretty realistic (even the military making coverups of the MUTO attacks), and the MUTO's EMP was pretty cool.

My favorite part o the film was the final battle.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:09 PM

So many reasons why i think this film is misunderstood. When you see all things that have happened to the earth over these years, Gareth was trying to tell this story of how nature or god if you will, is trying to wake us up before it is too late. We can not, and will not ever control nature.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:19 PM

Hmmm..........It seems i spoke to much. Also Gman2887, will you sticky this? I'll understand if you don't. :)

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-22-2014 2:21 PM

Amazingly said Ben! However it is best if Ghidorah is just one, it makes him more intimidating if this one creature is causing all this damage!

Good grief.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-22-2014 2:21 PM

GMAN2887 - You're spot-on with your assessment of Edwards' film. If one breaks down the elements of Showa-era Godzilla film and applies them to Edwards' movie, it becomes evident that he followed the same formula - down to Godzilla having to swim inland for an extendid period to eventually come to grips with his foes! All the while, the evil-doing monsters are given time to be showcased and run roughshod over the world - all the better to let the viewer see the daunting enemy that awaits our hero!

All in all, I must say that Edwards' Godzilla harkens back to some of my favorite Godzilla films - including Godzilla vs Gigan! I still giggle like a little girl when Godzilla enlists Anguirus to help him go to battle! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-22-2014 2:24 PM

Triple-B,
I was actually trying to, you know... avoid those topics in your second post in favor of something new for a change.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:24 PM

GG, but why? If Legendary followed the gamera heisei trilogy and protrayed ghidorah like gyaos, then shouldn't it make it more terrifying knowing there are more than just one?

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:27 PM

Gman2887,

With all do respect if you weren't going to, i was. :)

Still like your profile pic though. :)

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:28 PM

I associate a lot of those with Godzilla in general moreso than just the showa era films. Granted showa may have done it first, but most attributes are not exclusive to just that series.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:30 PM

^They did have godzilla at the heisei height, well just a bit taller but not much.

GG

ModeratorGiganSep-22-2014 2:35 PM

BigBadBen-Godzilla 2014 is the tallest godzilla, also isnt it more terrifying and epic to have it that this one giant creature that no one knows where came from is causing this much havic and is taking 2 other monsters to defeat?

Good grief.

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 2:35 PM

In terms of the way the film portrays Godzilla, I see this film in very much the same vein as the late Showa-era films. However, I kind of see Godzilla (2014) as similar to Masaaki Tezuka's Godzilla films. They seek to heavily reestablish the Godzilla mythos in a new alternate timeline and for the most part portray Godzilla as an unstoppable force of nature. However, while Tezuka's films portrayed Godzilla as a somewhat malevolent destructive entity, Edwards' vision of Godzilla is very similar to the heroic persona of the 1970's Godzilla. 

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:36 PM

GG, true.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaSep-22-2014 2:43 PM

One aspect that I found to be particularly interesting with regards to the manner in which Edwards' film was presented is the human elements (in my opinion) actually converged more readily and nimbly with the monster elements. Of course, the human acting wasn't precisely the best, but they still pulled-off interaction with the monsters in a manner I felt was intriguing. In most other Godzilla films, the enemy monsters rarely - if ever - interact with the humans. Yet, in Edwards' Godzilla, the MUTO actually come into direct conflict with humans - most pointedly the moments in which Ford is being pursued by the female MUTO. That, to me, was significant in that it brought a measure of awareness to the monsters that hasn't quite been explored in previous films. :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaSep-22-2014 2:46 PM

Triple-B,
That's my point though. Those topics have been brought up ad-nauseam multiple times here. I think there's more to explore about the film that hasn't been hit on yet.

Durp,
What specifically though? I think a lot of the things I pointed out were exclusive to the late Showa era, specifically a heroicly established Godzilla being aided by main characters. Although there are pieces of those attributes sprinkled in later films, though not altogether.

The King of the Monsters,
I completely get that comparison. In fact I pin the new movie a little closer to Tezuka's films in quality. But due to Godzilla's portrayal and the way the characters react to him, it feels closer to the 1970s formula.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 2:48 PM

@Gman2887,

Well of course, nevermind.

By the way i won't be back until late october. See ya soon old friend.

Durp004

MemberBaragonSep-22-2014 3:47 PM

Well if Serizawa saying that godzilla is their last hope secures him as a potagonist, then Mothra saying if Godzilla dies no one will defend the Earth puts him on the same level, and with that along with other things Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla also holds a lot of these elements, taking out Moguera is the asteroid belt is him besting the military to show his power, land Moguera taking out the tower's base so godzilla could destroy it and cut off spacegodzilla's energy, and just the heisei in general had a lot of scenes with humans giving godzilla the edge(destroying the controling GvsKG, destroying the tower in GvsSG, and using the freezer weapons in GvsD). They even watch godzilla leave in Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. Most of these are also in Godzilla vs Destroyah but the tables are turned with them depending on Destroyah to kill godzilla rather than it being the other way around.

NerdyBandGeeks

MemberMothra LarvaeSep-22-2014 6:54 PM

I hope the series does a reverse-Showa. In the (very well written) article, Gman states that Godzilla goes from anti-hero to scrappy hero.

But I feel like it would be better that Godzilla becomes less hero like in each subsequent movie, to show that while Godzilla is great, he can't be controled (could this also be how they introduce Mothra as protector of Earth?).

It would also tie in with Edwards early statements of Godzilla being a destructive force of nature, and also alluding to Serizawa's comment on Man controlling Nature.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
54% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
75% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
7amey
7amey » Baragon
21% To Next Rank
XarKhaan
XarKhaan » Mothra Larvae
57% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums