Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Movie

Godzilla 2 Movie

Godzilla: King of the Monsters arrives in:

Godzilla 2 Movie Poster

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Godzilla 2) is the upcoming sequel to Legendary Pictures' and Warner Bros. Pictures' Godzilla (2014) movie. Directed by Michael Dougherty, Godzilla: King of the Monsters will see the introduction of other Toho monsters Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah. All three superspecies will vie for dominance of Earth and Godzilla will rise again to restore nature's balance.

Rampage movie actor Jason Liles, who provided motion-capture work as the albino Gorilla in Dwayne Johnson's giant monster epic has also been recently cast by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures to provide motion-capture work in the upcoming Godzilla sequel, officially titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters! Liles will portray the dreaded, 3-headed Kaiju from space - King Ghidorah - Godzilla's golden nemesis.

As TheWrap reports:

Jason Liles, who most recently played the albino gorilla in Dwayne Johnson’s “Rampage,” has been cast as one of several motion-capture actors playing Godzilla’s three-headed archenemy in Legendary and Warner Bros.’ “Godzilla: King of Monsters,” TheWrap has learned exclusively.

King Ghidorah is one of three classic Toho Godzilla monsters joining the Warner Brothers / Legendary Monsterverse. Accompanying Rodan and Mothra, Ghidorah will pose a threat to Earth's natural balance and once again, Godzilla will be called upon to restore order.

Although Rodan and Mothra will play prevalent roles in the sequel's plot, we already know Ghidorah will be the final Monster Godzilla faces and according to O'Shea Jackson - the battle between the two will be extremely savage.

The Monsterverse design for Ghidorah has yet to be revealed, however as new details arrise, we'll be sure to keep you posted!

Godzilla fas looking to discover more about the Godzilla sequel King of the Monsters are encouraged to join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla Movies Articles

SH MonsterArts Godzilla Earth is Coming

SH MonsterArts Godzilla Earth is Coming

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle has finally hit Japanese theaters, and Tamashii Nations is wasting no time cashing in on the latest film. The repaint of Godzilla 2017 (aka, Go... Read More

25 Fan responses to Rampage movie actor will portray King Ghidorah in Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters!

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-26-2018 5:46 PM

I can't believe it's not Dwayne Johnson! Disappointed! /sarcasm

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-26-2018 5:58 PM

Sounds awesome, except for one thing: No spoilers, please.

Super Godzilla

Apr-26-2018 6:01 PM

Rampage was a solid movie.  It'll be nice to see a similar effort in the motion capture.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-26-2018 6:06 PM

So much for "No spoilers".

JurassicNight

Apr-26-2018 6:08 PM

Oh gosh, plz don't start with the "no spoilerz or I'll commit seppuku". I've seen enough of that trash with Infinity War that it's starting to make me want to commit seppuku myself.

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-26-2018 6:14 PM

I don't see how its a spoiler. MinecraftDinoKaiju

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-26-2018 6:20 PM

@JurassicNight What are you talking about? It's just a joke I do (Not really a joke, but I wasn't going to "commit seppuku". [I don't even know what that means or even heard of it till just now.]).

@The Jurassic Bootleg Because it is a spoiler on how they made the monsters (If you couldn't tell, I still haven't seen it yet, even though it's been out for two weeks now.).

JurassicNight

Apr-26-2018 8:57 PM

@MinecraftDinoKaiju Seppuku is a traditional way of a Samurai taking their lives for failure to complete a task.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-26-2018 9:15 PM

^

Actually, that got me thinking. Can you imagine if after being defeated by Godzilla in Final Wars, Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar all committed seppuku?

Apr-27-2018 5:42 AM

I just hope King Ghidorah moves like you would expect him too. I don't mind motion capture, I just don't want Ghidorah moving on four limbs like Smaug or in the picture above (which I am aware is not an official image of Ghidorah)

Apr-27-2018 5:52 AM

^yes that was my concern. If the albino ape in Rampage moved on all fours, and the character was animated using motion capture method, would they hire the actor based on those abilities alone? I sure hope not. I think that trope has been used enough lately. IMO, King Ghidorah should stand upright. Revealing his size and imitating strength. Crawling around on all fours would make him look weak and less intimating.

I like the idea of motion capture being utilized in a Godzilla movie, I am sure they will use it for Kong in 2020. Its like a modern version of tokusatsu. Well... almost.

SuperZillaRealms

Apr-27-2018 7:18 AM

I like the idea of King Ghidorah walkin on all fours, it gives him a little bit more bulk not only that, considering this may be the biggest King Ghidorah incarnation to date (Not including Keizer Ghidorah), it would make sense to use his wings to support his massive weight

Apr-27-2018 8:27 AM

I don't think his role as George would be an indication he's a wing walker (I hope not anyway). He's only one of a few actors playing King Ghidorah, we have no idea what their background is either.

I do wonder if TJ Storm will return as Godzilla.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-27-2018 10:01 AM

You all seem to forget Rodan is in GKOTM too, and remember, he usually walks on two legs, not on his legs and wings. If this logic is implied, that should mean that they should stay true to the originals. What I'm wondering is how they would do motion capture for King Ghidorah (i.e. the legs for the two legs, and the arms - will they be the wings or the two other heads?).

@G. H. (Gman) I do agree. TJ Storm should return as Godzilla.

Apr-27-2018 11:55 AM

The motion capture in Rampage was excellent, so this some good news at least.

Apr-28-2018 1:10 AM

Turns out Liles will only be playing the middle head. Actors Alan Maxson and Richard Dorton will play the other two heads and more actors will play the body:

Kulaas

Apr-28-2018 1:40 AM

Haven't seen Rampage yet, so I have no idea on how convincing this person's mocap abilities are, but it's pretty cool that they have multiple actors trying to portray one monster. It feels like a natural evolution of multi-manned suits, what Shin Godzilla tried to do, even if it didn't work out.

The Jurassic Bootleg

Apr-28-2018 7:19 AM

Why the heck do they need lots of actors to play the body? I get that it took lots of people to operate a Ghidorah suit but this is motion capture, I don't think it needs a lot of people.

Kulaas

Apr-28-2018 1:40 PM

@The Jurassic Bootleg

Maybe personality? It's possible operating the body may differ from how the heads are portrayed, calling for different talent.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-29-2018 11:09 AM

Again, and I quote from myself, "

You all seem to forget Rodan is in GKOTM too, and remember, he usually walks on two legs, not on his legs and wings. If this logic is implied, that should mean that they should stay true to the originals. What I'm wondering is how they would do motion capture for King Ghidorah (i.e. the legs for the two legs, and the arms - will they be the wings or the two other heads?).". Base the theory off of this. You're welcome for starting.

Apr-30-2018 7:14 AM

@ The Jurassic Bootleg, If you have ever seen the movie Krampus(directed by Michael Dougherty) , the "Jack In The Box" monster was played by just 2 people. Each part of the monster needed like 2 people to act inside the suit then a handful of puppeteers to make the eyes and mouth move. So to make King Ghidorah animated by motion capture they would need a handful of actors to play each head, and body, hell maybe even the tail!

Michael Dougherty really likes to use actors instead of using CGI(if he can help it) to give the monsters a personality. The movie Krampus and Trick R Treat really gives a great insight on Dougherty's direction and talent on bringing his characters to life. He's an old school fan of special FX, that's why Im excited to see this movie with Dougherty at the helm. Dougherty so far has not made a terrible film. But this one has the biggest budget of them all so hopefully Dougherty doesn't get lost in this film.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-30-2018 9:50 AM

@riggzamortis86 For the first part: I quote from myself, 'Again, and I quote from myself , 'You all seem to forget Rodan is in GKOTM too, and remember, he usually walks on two legs, not on his legs and wings. If this logic is implied, that should mean that they should stay true to the originals. What I'm wondering is how they would do motion capture for King Ghidorah (i.e. the legs for the two legs, and the arms - will they be the wings or the two other heads?).'. Base the theory off of this. You're welcome for starting." Pay close attention to the advice I am giving. You're welcome.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

Apr-30-2018 9:52 AM

@riggzamortis86 For the second part: I hope Dougherty doesn't get lost in this film. Otherwise, it might be 1998 all over again. Let's just hope it doesn't happen.

May-01-2018 6:01 AM

@MinecraftDinoKaiju Please refrain from quoting yourself again and again. Your own quote doesn't exactly have anything to refer to what I just was explaining before. We didn't forget Rodan is in the movie as well, or the fact that he walks on two legs, we are all Godzilla fans here, we know what Rodan does and how he usually behaves. Please my friend, you don't need to repeat yourself multiple times on the same page. It is unnecessary.

I do however agree with your second comment. I think Dougherty would have to sink to some apathetic levels to make G:KOTM a 98' stinker. But luckily this is isn't someone who just doesn't care much for source material. I do trust Dougherty, IMO, he hasn't made a film that was bad so far, in fact he has made stellar films with a smaller budget. This is probably his biggest(no pun intended) feature yet to date. So I hope it doesn't get lost on him. He is great with handling many characters and different locations and plots at once(see Trick R Treat, the whole story is like an anthology but playing all at the same time and including the same characters influencing other parts of the anthology throughout the film), and creating an atmosphere and being able to concentrate on multiple action sequences at the same time(see Krampus). So in all having 4 monsters in G:KOTM along with such a captivating cast going all around the world to introduce all the monsters into the story should be interesting with Dougherty at the helm. Well... I hope.

MinecraftDinoKaiju

May-01-2018 9:13 AM

@riggzamortis86

For the first part, I didn't mean to copy the Rodan part, and even if I did, it was for anyone new to the website, not to those that have been here or are long-time Godzilla fans, so sorry about that.

For the second part, I am glad you feel that way, and I hope Dougherty is successful with the execution of the film.

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster . Providing the latest official and accurate information on , this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for 's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Your account has not yet been verified. Please check your email for the verification link to begin posting.

Please review our rules before sharing content

Use Your E-Mail: