I have not seen a discussion regarding the easter eggs that were in the new film, so i'll start one myself and cover all the easter eggs and references that i spotted! If there are any that you saw and i didnt point out, please share them with us.
Before i begin, i warn that there are spoilers, of course. Now lets begin:
1. In the beginning of the film, there is a kaiju poster/calendar in Ford’s room. Even though it is an original kaiju created just for that scene, it does resemble the old school Japanese kaiju movie posters.
2. In Ford's classroom, there is a poster of a butterfly, obviously a reference to Mothra, since it had a similar color scheme as her.
3. When Joe and Ford return to their old home in Janjira, there is a fish tank sort of thing that was home to a butterfly/moth/other winged insect, and "MOTHRA" is written at the bottom of it.
4. On one of the planes, "EDWARDS" is written on the back part, obviously a reference to Gareth Edwards himself.
5. The kid in the train scene could be a reference/tribute to all the kids involved in all those classic Godzilla and other kaiju films, especially the 70's films. I could be wrong, but his baseball cap reminded me of these kids, so yeah.
6. The Military explains how the Americans blamed the Russians, and the Russians blamed the Americans for the missing Russian submarine. this is a reference, or at least similar to, the same tension that took place in 'Godzilla 1985'.
7. When Ford spills out all that gasoline to destory the MUTO eggs, or whatever, the camera focuses on a puddle of gasoline in a hole in a pile of rubble. Under that rubble, there is a golden/yellow DRAGON head, which is a King Gidorah reference. And it does make sense because the scene took place in a Chinatown, and it is not weird for there to be gold Chinese dragons around.
8. When Ford gets into the red boat with the bomb in it, the side of the boat says, "GO WHALE TOURS", which literally means "GODZILLA TOURS", since we know Gojira just means Gorilla Whale in Japanese.
Well, that does it for all the easter eggs/references that I saw in the film! Be sure to comment anything else you spotted or that i missed, or comment what you think about the ones i did see, or just comment whatever you want! Thanks!
This is a suprisingly professional topic for your first post! I'm gonna go ahead and make this THE Easter egg thread for the film. If anyone posts a similiar thread I'll refer them back to this one. Well done sir!
OLDSKOOLGODZILLA93 - Welcome to the site! I very much hope you enjoy it here - we're always happy to see new faces. Make yourself at home and start posting! As for your first topic, this was very fun and interesting. I believe I missed a few of the little goodies you mentioned, hence I must watch the film a third time - darn the rotten luck! ;) Thank you very much for sharing this with us! :)
The only Easter egg I spotted was the Ghidorah one. Wow I didn't realize there were so many. You have a good eye!
Allow me to add, I'm not sure if this counts but similar to one of my posts before, the Airport scene at night might be a homage to the airport battle in Godzilla vs Destoroyah. Also, with Godzilla rising on a suspension bridge and completely ignoring any military offensive might be a awipe at Gino who basically died in 2 air strikes while tied up on a bridge.
For #1 on your list... thats poster foreshadows the end of the film. Godzilla fighting MUTO & the Military in San Francisco. Pretty cool stuff!
Welcome to the site. I'm a month new and once you start meeting people it becomes a nice feeling. Just don't make the same mistake I made making a topic that offend people. And if you ever do make one make sure to apologize. Ok and again Welcome to the site
There are strong men and weak men. The strong ones are here to keep the weak ones up when ever they fail.
A couple of these might be reaching for something that isn't there. I mean, the kid in the Japanese kid in the movie who reminds you of kids in kaiju movies probably b/c he's a kid in a kaiju movie, you know? Anyway, the "Go Whale" tour boat is a great find. I'm geeking out about that one right now. And thanks to MIKEYNAMEZ for the pic of the poster. At first I thought it was an homage, but now it appears to be a summary of the film's climax. Good stuff.
oldschoolgodzilla93 if you go and see it again there is one more you may have miss. that is the rodan one i think or it look like rodan. it is when Ford is in school when he is looking outthe window and if you look at the origami's. one of them look like rodan.
I know this one has been mentioned before but i didn't notice it so far in this thread. The Mothra fairies appear to be in a building as the second MUTO is leaving Vegas
UPDATE: Gareth Edwards revealed that the Kaiju poster in Ford's room says
"Let Them Fight!" in Japanese (http://www.empireonline.com/features/godzilla-secrets-gareth-edwards)
When first watching the movie, I thought that poster looked a lot like Zilla, but yeah now I can see what it really is.
For me there is a Jurassic Parj easter egg, after Godzilla uses the Kiss of Death, he roars the music reminds me of Jurrasic park for some reason
Call me nuts, but during my most recent viewing of the film (the fourth time!), I caught an interesting possible easter egg: the guy at the power plant that Joe is talking to on the phone, and later in person at the plant, in the begining o the film is named Takashi. A reference to original Gojira actor Takashi Shimura, perhaps? Shimura portrayed Dr. Yamane in the original film, and lent his monumental talents to numerous other Toho science fiction films, as well as recieving global acclaim for his roles in Akira Kurosawa's early films. It would be an obveous easter egg for fans to find!
"Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." -Rod Serling
Please look what i found! I loved the opening credits so I was really into it and I discover this:
Gareth is a genius!
There are quite a few other easter eggs not Godzilla related but classic monster movie related.
1: The ending kill shot where Godzilla rips open the mouth of the female MUTO is a clear nod to the original King Kong when he breaks the T-Rex's jaw in a very similar manner.
2: When the bus driver on the Golden Gate Bridge wipes the moisture build up off the window is almost an exact copy from Jurassic Park when they wipe the window to see the T-Rex break out.
3: All the birds going crazy around the school bus is a nod to both Birds by Alfred Hitchcock and to the 1984 Godzilla movie where he is drawn to the migrating birds.
4: The cockroach crawling on the toy tank in Ford's old house to me was a clear nod to the parasite insects that lived on Godzilla in 1985 and attack the fishermen. Too similar of a creature to the roach to not think it was done on purpose in my opinion.
The little kid on the train is a clear nod to the kid in Son of Godzilla. His outfit is almost the same.
Sign in to add a reply to this topic!