Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Movie

Godzilla 2 Movie

Godzilla: King of the Monsters arrives in:

Godzilla 2 Movie Poster

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Godzilla 2) is the upcoming sequel to Legendary Pictures' and Warner Bros. Pictures' Godzilla (2014) movie. Directed by Michael Dougherty, Godzilla: King of the Monsters will see the introduction of other Toho monsters Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah. All three superspecies will vie for dominance of Earth and Godzilla will rise again to restore nature's balance.

Last night early test screenings were reportedly held for next year's Godzilla sequel, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and as expected, viewer reactions and initial thoughts made their way online!

To sum up the majority of feedback, it sounds like Godzilla 2 will be a lot more action-packed like Kong: Skull Island and less atmospheric and subtle like the 2015 original. Twitter user Jeremy Conrad, who we sourced the original claims of the test screenings from yesterday, followed up today, adding that the monster fights are apparently "epic", while plot and character development seem to have taken a back seat:

Of course these are merely opinions being reiterated, but the knowledge of King of the Monsters focusing more on the Monsters and their action than Godzilla 2014 is something we've known would happen since 2015. With having 4 or more total monsters in the film, 3 of which requiring proper introductions and backstory, it leaves very little room for human character and plot development. However, following the fairly unanimous reactions to Gareth Edwards' original, it would appear that fans really are more interested in seeing Monsters brawl and care less about the human characters caught in the mayhem.

Keep in mind, assuming the reactions are true, these are very early reactions to a very rough version of Godzilla 2. Over the next year, Michael Dougherty and the post production team will undoubtedly iron out any wrinkles prior to its March 22nd, 2019 release date.

Thanks to Ben for the heads up!

Godzilla fas looking to discover more about the Godzilla sequel King of the Monsters are encouraged to join in the Godzilla Movies forum - a dedicated community of Godzilla movie and Monsterverse fans.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Godzilla blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

More Godzilla Movies Articles

Godzilla Escape Room Game Coming to Tokyo

Godzilla Escape Room Game Coming to Tokyo

Following the wave of puzzle games and escape rooms in the entertainment district Kabukichio of Shinjuku, Tokyo, comes a new challenge from the production company SCRAP. On April 2... Read More

26 Fan responses to Godzilla sequel more like Kong: Skull Island than the 2014 original, early reactions claim!

Mar-07-2018 11:54 AM

This honestly what I wanted, a lot of good monster action. We've already seen that trying to focus on human characters is a terrible idea, and Kong proved this by making a fun film with flat characters. This film just needs a simple monster movie plot to show us the monsters and pit them against each other. Seems like that's what we're getting, which is awesome.

Mar-07-2018 12:34 PM

I hope good fights of monsters, but if the human plot is not good, it will not be a good movie, it will only be a movie with flat characters and monsters giving blows, and I know we do not want that, obviously I want to see fights, but I also want to see a development in the character of godzilla, a good human plot, as nations react to what is happening, and hopefully the atmosphere is optimal. While Kong Skull Island was entertaining, its characters were basics and fools, and they showed both Kong and his fights, that the emotion and the surprise factor was affected, well it's just my opinion...

Mar-07-2018 1:02 PM

Is it really too much to ask for both? Other movies have done it. It's not impossible! These movies have had some very good actors. Don't waste 'em.

Mar-07-2018 1:03 PM

I am guessing that the filmmakers behind Godzilla 2 are replicating what made Kong Skull Island successful, and avoiding the complaints of the 1st Godzilla.

Krappy Bungholio

Mar-07-2018 1:57 PM

It's very important to note that Jeremy Conrad is basing this off a source's friends so....The much better news is there is a reddit post in the movies subreddit from someone who has seen 40 minutes of Godzilla 2 and is much more positive about the characters/story and film overall

Mar-07-2018 1:59 PM

Krappy Bungholio,

May you provide the link to that reddit post, if that is alright with you?

Krappy Bungholio

Mar-07-2018 2:10 PM

The Bootleg Rebellious

Mar-07-2018 2:15 PM

The story is dumb? ok, I'm a bit worried, but hopefully the monster actions are good enough for me to give it 10/10.

Mar-07-2018 2:22 PM

Krappy Bungholio,

Mar-07-2018 2:26 PM

Everybody wants more monster action, especially with four kaiju in the story. But, a good story, an interesting narrative, is just as important. There is potentially, a lot to mine here: the whole Monarch backstory. They brought back Serizawa and Graham-which I love for the continuity-give them something to work with. And this cast is simply gorgeous. I hope that they're not just standing around expressing varying forms of shock and amazement.

So, I hope it's well written and totally unpredictable.

Mar-07-2018 3:24 PM

I already said it in the other post, but I'll say again:

This is coming from a dude who thinks that all a Godzilla movie is good for, and I quote: "just fast forward past anything with a human."

I doubt this is a credible source to take seriously.

Mar-07-2018 4:13 PM

Good to here, I'm not saying that we don't need a good story and characters, but I'm not going to be upset if we don't. The Reddit post kept on mentioning that G's design is basically the same but there's "more red". Wonder what that means?

Mar-07-2018 5:15 PM

This is a good sign. At least to me it is. I really could care less about the people. Let Them Fight!

Mar-07-2018 9:54 PM

I dont watch Godzilla movies for the human element of things I watch them for the giant monster fights THAT'S what a TRUE Godzilla movie is

Mar-07-2018 11:11 PM

Mar-08-2018 8:40 AM

Well I cant really take this opinion to heart. Im sure with the actors in this movie cant be all that bland. I don't believe it. But the assurance of great monster fighting is a sigh of relief. K:SI had way better action and fighting than 2014 so im happy so far.

Mar-08-2018 12:48 PM

That's a little disappointing. The good giant monster films are ones that have good human characters and stories.

Mar-08-2018 5:03 PM

Also, thanks to NateZilla10000 for posting the link to his previous comments.

Gee W

Mar-12-2018 4:56 AM

I don't get the idea that you can't have a good story and great action in these movies. I really enjoyed Kong, but the story was seriously lacking. Great ideas, for sure, but the plot went all over the place and that lessens the impact of the action. While characterization in Godzilla 2014 was lacking, the story was worked out nicely. It was a simple linear tale for sure, but it worked and didn't leave you scratching your head. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere of Godzilla, it gave gravitas to the situation, made the monsters imposing and truly feel giant. Kong was lacking in that department a bit too.

Mar-12-2018 5:49 AM

It would be nice to have a real good story.. coupled with good characters.. AND epic monster fights. I actually thought Kong Skull Island.. was better that the first Godzilla [2014] flick.. in that it had all three.

Mar-12-2018 8:35 AM

K:SI is definitely a superior film than Edwards backwards 2014. The tone, action, acting, pace and even the soundtrack was perfect. The only thing G14 had was that dark and gloomy atmosphere. Ill give it to Edwards on that. If we can get all the great things out of both films and put it in KOTM then ill be happy

Mar-12-2018 1:52 PM

It wasn't even a dark and gloomy atmosphere necessarily. It was just bone dry, and lacking in any sense of humor or self-awareness. Even Shin Godzilla for how dark it was could have fun with itself and cracked some jokes, so it wasn't entirely dry and depressing, lol.

Glad this film's seemingly like KSI, given I loved that film for what it was. My only issue is probably gonna be obnoxious casting/plot choices. Like why are we focusing on a family once again caught in this gigantic fight between superorganisms rather than focusing on Monarch, more. I'd rather have the most intriguing part of the last film amplified over more of what I didn't like. But from what I've heard, it seems like Sally Hawkins doesn't even know if she plays a large role in the plot, again. Ugh.

That and I hope this film retains continuity. Gonna hate it if it's like the events of the past films never happened. Even Transformers gets that right.

Mar-13-2018 8:30 AM

We are supposedly focusing on Monarch, I remember hearing that the lead actor (forgot his name) and the lead actress (forgot hers to) are members of Monarch

Mar-13-2018 9:15 AM

I didn't see any of those actors listed in the casting for this movie(thank God-zilla!)

Mar-13-2018 10:16 AM

That is if your talking about the Brody family. I really hated all those characters. I didn't see them in the cast line up for this movie.

Mar-16-2018 10:26 AM

So much for "No spoilers".

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster . Providing the latest official and accurate information on , this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for 's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Your account has not yet been verified. Please check your email for the verification link to begin posting.

Please review our rules before sharing content

Use Your E-Mail: